Boosted Performance single turbo fabrication - Page 7 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #121
IIQuickSilverII
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
IIQuickSilverII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arizona -InP-
Posts: 14,551
Thanked 165 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Well it ridiculous for someone on one statement to say aps turbos were small... And then go around saying the kit made low and got to 600 because if race gas and "my kits" can do 600??????

That's misleading... Aps did that because turbos were small or conservatives estimates of what the limitations were oh the vq back then of what it could take or development of the ems control... I mean back then the "shot" was the utec! LoL

I mean I am pushing 760 on 91 octane...now
IIQuickSilverII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #122
IIQuickSilverII
Registered User
iTrader: (13)
 
IIQuickSilverII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arizona -InP-
Posts: 14,551
Thanked 165 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Haven't checked in a while but I suspect the built engines "s3riUs" builts are probably in haltech and proefi128....uprev is solid too
IIQuickSilverII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #123
padilla03z
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 238
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I'm not a "serious" build as I am only around 500ish but my tuner convinced me to switch to haltech because of all the safety's. I'm sure uprev can handle my goals but peace of mind told me to spend the extra money.
padilla03z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #124
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore
iTrader: (37)
 
2004Black350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

2004Black350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #125
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
iTrader: (162)
 
Cux350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 11,451
Thanked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
LOL, the AEM nonsense and Vaporware has been going on since 2004 around here..LMAO...The largest plug and play ECU in the aftermarket world and they never supported the Z33 platform, but made stuff for every Honda Civic ever made..Boy did they loose some money in the peak of the FI game around here.. I can tell you from past experiences, it will NEVER come out for the Z33 at this point. There really is no point in making one now, it wont sell. Who will pay $2500 for an ECU for a car they paid $5000 for used..
Look, we get it. You're trying to come on here and start **** and rag on all 350z's. You left but you came back for a reason but want to play the big badd *** and downplay everyone here, pound your chest and swing your dick. Congrats...you win on the internet.

Ill throw out two part numbers, you can research them and then go pound sand.

AEM 30-7107
AEM 30-3520


Its like the old drunk has come back to his old stomping grounds cause he has no where else to go. At first i was going to tolerate you but you just wont give up and are just looking for a e-fight.

We get it, you were a swinging dick back in the day. No one gives a ****. Honestly. Go back to being a miserable old fart elsewhere.
Cux350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #126
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
iTrader: (162)
 
Cux350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 11,451
Thanked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Default

hell i dont know when they released it. No one is really paying them any attention.

As I just learned...go with what your tuner knows. If no tuners are pushing AEM then it wont sell on this platform. Just like when UTEC was on top....the FCON...and now haltech/uprev. Its all in what the shops and tuners push.

Proefi never took off too well either.
Cux350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #127
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
#1 Im not here to rag on 350Z owners, just certain people...
You have come in here and started making some assumptions about products that you know nothing about. Other than being a self proclaimed "pioneer", saying that you have done this community a huge favour. I have yet to see a constructive post to back any of your "pioneering".

Also, according to this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...torsports.html

most of the community at the time was very happy to see you go. So one can suspect that you weren't the "pioneer" you claimed to be.

IMO Charles at CJ-Motorsports is a person who can be classified as a pioneer on this platform, because he has made a lot of engineering changes to the fueling system to make high powered cars a reality. He also did it in a professional manner, which will go a long way when working with people/customers. This is something you seem to be lacking. Knowledge on building turbo systems (or in your case purchasing an APS TT kit) and building engines can be derived from other platforms by studying the failures....like spun bearings which were common back then. Who would have thought that you need to "loosen" the clearances when trying to double/triple the power output of an internal combustions engine..

This turbo kit is the perfect example, because you are like a noob, that hasn't done any research on the product, components used, capability, and on and off the track results. Instead you simply stated that it is a "stupid design". It is a low mount turbo, so what? If you are such a "pioneer" why didn't you develop a true twin scroll design turbo system back then, and make it fit in the engine bay? Everybody knows that a twin scroll system will be 5-7% more efficient than a tangential turbo design due to scavenging. It will also be capable of producing the same results as a twin turbo kit (as per dyno charts I posted in the other thread) and be $1,500 cheaper (not to mention the install cost) ....so why did it take so long if the community had such brilliant minds in 2007? It is indeed a system that almost any customer with basic mechanical skills can install....and yes, that is true, but you don't know it since you have not seen the installation manual.

All I am saying is that the community along with the products available has changed since 2007, so please read up before bashing products that have proven themselves over the past few years.

This turbo business is just a side thing for me. I have a dream day job (has nothing to do with the automotive industry/fabricating), and build these kits when I have time, during the long winters. It is something I enjoy doing. The demand is high enough that I could go full-time, but I don't want to do that. I enjoy fabricating, but on my own time. There is a lot more I could do as I have a lot of ideas, but I am happy with where things are. The 370z twin scroll kits are keeping me plenty busy because the results seen from my customers are fantastic:

http://rttuning.com/boosted-performa...g-nissan-370z/
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #128
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
iTrader: (1)
 
RudeG_v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted Performance View Post
You have come in here and started making some assumptions about products that you know nothing about. Other than being a self proclaimed "pioneer", saying that you have done this community a huge favour. I have yet to see a constructive post to back any of your "pioneering".

Also, according to this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...torsports.html

most of the community at the time was very happy to see you go. So one can suspect that you weren't the "pioneer" you claimed to be.

IMO Charles at CJ-Motorsports is a person who can be classified as a pioneer on this platform, because he has made a lot of engineering changes to the fueling system to make high powered cars a reality. He also did it in a professional manner, which will go a long way when working with people/customers. This is something you seem to be lacking. Knowledge on building turbo systems (or in your case purchasing an APS TT kit) and building engines can be derived from other platforms by studying the failures....like spun bearings which were common back then. Who would have thought that you need to "loosen" the clearances when trying to double/triple the power output of an internal combustions engine..

This turbo kit is the perfect example, because you are like a noob, that hasn't done any research on the product, components used, capability, and on and off the track results. Instead you simply stated that it is a "stupid design". It is a low mount turbo, so what? If you are such a "pioneer" why didn't you develop a true twin scroll design turbo system back then, and make it fit in the engine bay? Everybody knows that a twin scroll system will be 5-7% more efficient than a tangential turbo design due to scavenging. It will also be capable of producing the same results as a twin turbo kit (as per dyno charts I posted in the other thread) and be $1,500 cheaper (not to mention the install cost) ....so why did it take so long if the community had such brilliant minds in 2007? It is indeed a system that almost any customer with basic mechanical skills can install....and yes, that is true, but you don't know it since you have not seen the installation manual.

All I am saying is that the community along with the products available has changed since 2007, so please read up before bashing products that have proven themselves over the past few years.

This turbo business is just a side thing for me. I have a dream day job (has nothing to do with the automotive industry/fabricating), and build these kits when I have time, during the long winters. It is something I enjoy doing. The demand is high enough that I could go full-time, but I don't want to do that. I enjoy fabricating, but on my own time. There is a lot more I could do as I have a lot of ideas, but I am happy with where things are. The 370z twin scroll kits are keeping me plenty busy because the results seen from my customers are fantastic:

http://rttuning.com/boosted-performa...g-nissan-370z/
@ the irony and hypocrisy in your post. You have a lot of nerve to act sanctimoniously after engaging in a negative marketing campaign and slandering your competitors in the DE market (especially those with decades of professional experience who don't dabble in this industry as a part-time hobby such as yourself).

I noticed that you ignored Julian's question about why OEM manufacturers and race teams don't use low mid-mount turbo systems. If it's so great/superior/advantageous... why don't they?


(BTW... I'm taking a screenshot of this, in case you decide to save face by deleting this thread like you did with your diff brace thread after I called you out on your BS. )
RudeG_v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #129
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0 View Post
@ the irony and hypocrisy in your post. You have a lot of nerve to act sanctimoniously after engaging in a negative marketing campaign and slandering your competitors in the DE market (especially those with decades of professional experience who don't dabble in this industry as a part-time hobby such as yourself).
I said that a T3 turbo is a horrible idea on built motors if customers are trying to make any significant power. I also said that the OEM headers are poorly built, and IMO (based on my results) after market headers are necessary for good power out of single turbo kits.

My results are proven with facts, EBP results and dyno charts. There is nothing else to it. It is as simple as that. You can put whatever twist you want on it, I don't really care. I have even said that for those that could not make 500whp on pump on a DD with your precious T3 turbo, to simply upgrade to a T4 unit (just change the up-pipe flange). No other changes to the kit itself are necessary. You took that as if I was saying the top mount kit is a POS. That is your issue, not my. It is worth noting that when one company copies somebody else's kit, they should probably do some testing...find the flaws, and correct them. (this is something Momentum tried to do) It is something completely different when one goes and develops a completely new kit and does the testing from the ground up, the mid mount kit and the twin scroll kit are good examples of this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0 View Post
I noticed that you ignored Julian's question about why OEM manufacturers and race teams don't use low mid-mount turbo systems. If it's so great/superior/advantageous... why don't they?
Really? That is a a stupid question don't you think? You are comparing OEM, where the entire engine bay is built on paper/cad, to after market performance parts which are being added afterwards. If I was an OEM manufacturer, I would put this kit in the engine bay too. But again, we are talking about trying to install significant after market upgrades in an engine bay which is very crammed. [/QUOTE]


Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0 View Post
(BTW... I'm taking a screenshot of this, in case you decide to save face by deleting this thread like you did with your diff brace thread after I called you out on your BS. )


That thread was not going anywhere and since I have not made any of those for anybody, and was just sharing my results, it was best for it to disappear. Clearly some of the old guys are coming back, and I am sure they have done some incredible engineering during the 7 year absence. So, I will wait for these products to be released, so that the new generation of owners can take this platform to the next level.

This thread is also gone waaaay off topic, and since it is my thread, I will get it cleaned up. Feel free to spend the rest of the day taking screen shots of all the posts before they are removed.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-31-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #130
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器
iTrader: (1)
 
RudeG_v2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Nice attempt once again to rewrite history and create your own narrative. You strongly insinuated that your competitors were lying and misleading customers about their kits' performance capabilities. The mods let you run amuck as you slung mud and slandered other vendors' integrity ...and you know it. The staff on this site unfortunately has shown an ongoing habit of favoritism (especially in the FI section) for select vendors rather than maintaining a level playing field of fairness and impartiality for all vendors. It's a repetitive cycle based on forum popularity. It seems that you now enjoy the "perks" that GTM and Forged once had on this forum. Enjoy it while it lasts... karma is a biatch.
RudeG_v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #131
Toneloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greer, sc
Posts: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Well if you guys are done sword fighting with your ego's...

Few questions I have that I believe has not been asked...

1. How much weight is this entire turbo kit?

2. Being that it is easy to install, sits low...water damage? thieves steal it unbolting turbo kit? or a jack *** puts **** in your turbo charger....

3. This kit come with a cat back or you need to modify it to bolt to aftermarket exhaust a customer may already have?

4. Will this pass emmissions? is there a kit that comes with a hfc?

Last edited by Toneloc; 05-31-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Toneloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #132
Toneloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greer, sc
Posts: 399
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

sometimes I wish mods would go back through informational threads and delete the stupid post that have nothing to do with the turbo kit or people that bash it...
Toneloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #133
KingBaby
Hardest Setting
iTrader: (3)
 
KingBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MexiCali dodging potholes
Posts: 13,324
Thanked 83 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Seems Julian thinks each thread is his soapbox lol

Tell us more about you being the best and running the most honest shop!
KingBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #134
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneloc View Post
Well if you guys are done sword fighting with your ego's...

Few questions I have that I believe has not been asked...

1. How much weight is this entire turbo kit?

2. Being that it is easy to install, sits low...water damage? thieves steal it unbolting turbo kit? or a jack *** puts **** in your turbo charger....

3. This kit come with a cat back or you need to modify it to bolt to aftermarket exhaust a customer may already have?

4. Will this pass emmissions? is there a kit that comes with a hfc?
1. The entire kit weighs in at about 140lbs.

2. Water has not been an issue. The filter is well protected since it is just behind the starter. I would not drive through deep water though..but that is common sense. As for theft...don't know what to tell ya...if somebody has enough time, I am sure they could steal it.

3. The kit is built so it can be bolted on to the OEM exhaust on the DE engines, and OEM and Fast Intentions exhaust on the VHR cars.

4. Not sure what you have for emission tests in your area. HFC can be added to the kit. Performance will however suffer.

You can also ask [email protected] about the kit. He has tuned and installed a number of these now, and knows them very well.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-31-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #135
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
Because it's a stupid stupid stupid fawking idea, plain and simple..OEM manufacturers who believe in performance as well as reliability for long term use, place their turbos under the hood, near the manifolds..Not next to the transmissions, in the trunk or under the car where the muffler goes..Why? Cause its a STUPID IDEA...

As far as that thread you linked, many forum members smelled blood and were fooled, including RudeG, by a well orchestrated series of lies about me. People like Romey, took advantage of me, Sam @GTM fuked me (and we all know what has been happeneing with the almighty GTM these days)and the entire forum turned on me.

The truth eventually surfaced and people who remember back then know the deal. I ran the most honest, NO NONSENSE shop you will ever see. Romey took advantage of me, and without me being his friend and giving him all sorts of crazy discounts, his car NEVER would have been near the level it was.

I lifted the heads on the dyno, and offered to fix it for free and start the motor pull right there. He insisted to take the car back despite it having a hurt motor, and brought me back a piston welded to a cylinder wall on Monday morning. I couldnt warranty negligence, and he turned it around on me. Despite the fact a video surfaced of him racing a Corvette to 150 mph that weekend on a hurt motor..

At the same time all the engines I bought from GTM were literally falling apart, zero fault of my own..

Sam and Romey turned the whole thing around on me and people hated me..It was of no help that I came off as quite the ******* on the forums and rubbed alot of people the wrong way...I got sick of the BS, the drama and left the scene..

I still tune some cars here and there for a few friends who own shops, and do it because I love it. I would never open another business and deal with the BS associated with it..
Once again, those are some solid points supporting your argument. It is hard for me to argue with your well defined reasoning and logic.

I have showed you dyno charts,and you had no comments because you did not expect to see those kinds of numbers, and that kind of efficiency out of a single turbo kit. I have said that these kits are very reliable, because the components used are proven to be of great quality/reliability. Feel free to search the forums...it won't take you long to figure that out.

BTW, the twin scroll kit puts the turbo closer to the manifolds than any other single kit, so once again, the least you can do is have a look at some pictures...you don't even have to read anything. I have had my kit on the car for over 30,000 miles. Same Tial wastegates, same Tial BOV, same Exa pump...ect. I have switched to the newer PTE BB turbo, but that is about it. The car is tuned by me with the Haltech and is sitting at just over 450whp and 420ft/tq (DJ) on 94 pump gas. Sounds like this is a lot more reliable than anything that came out of your shop during the "pioneering" days.

As for your excuses, so far evidence (in the form of your posts/attitude/ignorance) is against you.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 05-31-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #136
jerryd87
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE ohio
Posts: 2,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

i generally dont bother coming on this useless forum anymore except to browse classifieds but the ecu has been out for AWHILE, i worked directly with sam santerre on the project and was the first vq35 outside AEM to run the ecu. not only has it been available for about 8 months now but the infinity-6 is now out and supports the vq35 as well for $1500 entry fee. people will buy it because it offers motec level performance at a fraction of the price. having tuned pro efi on another platform, haltech on this one, and the infinity it is WELL worth the price. just a small example, haltech idle oscillated 150 rpms using a mustang cheap *** china throttle body, infinity is able to get that down to 50 rpms, pretty much what you would see stock. it always irritated me but i was fine with it chalking it up to me buying a cheap part, until i used the infinity.

it is the ecu i recommend to my customers as well as several others who are not. i wouldnt run anything else at this point unless i was forced to by something like not being supported by the ecu.

edit:my bad seems you already saw its been out for a little bit now. what i can tell you about it is i had my car running in 15 minutes on it once final firmware was done, although having a pre release ecu i ended up having to send it in to get a motherboard update as it would break up past 5k rpms. the ease of tuning is stellar and it has alot of potential with customizing channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
LOL, the AEM nonsense and Vaporware has been going on since 2004 around here..LMAO...The largest plug and play ECU in the aftermarket world and they never supported the Z33 platform, but made stuff for every Honda Civic ever made..Boy did they loose some money in the peak of the FI game around here.. I can tell you from past experiences, it will NEVER come out for the Z33 at this point. There really is no point in making one now, it wont sell. Who will pay $2500 for an ECU for a car they paid $5000 for used..

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-01-2014 at 12:42 AM.
jerryd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #137
jerryd87
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE ohio
Posts: 2,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

my wifes escape is technically a low mount turbo, it can drain to the pan but you really cant mount a turbo any lower anywhere else on the car.

in specifics to the BP kit design even though i dont run it anymore(really just due to my specific requirements and never being happy with anything i dont build) its about the shortest possible exhaust pathway to keep heat high in the exhaust so it has the maximum velocity when entering the turbo. as to where you mount it, where he does is a short exhaust path for most people. if you move the radiator forward and relocate the power steering however(if you dont run ac) theres alot of room up front.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0 View Post
@ the irony and hypocrisy in your post. You have a lot of nerve to act sanctimoniously after engaging in a negative marketing campaign and slandering your competitors in the DE market (especially those with decades of professional experience who don't dabble in this industry as a part-time hobby such as yourself).

I noticed that you ignored Julian's question about why OEM manufacturers and race teams don't use low mid-mount turbo systems. If it's so great/superior/advantageous... why don't they?


(BTW... I'm taking a screenshot of this, in case you decide to save face by deleting this thread like you did with your diff brace thread after I called you out on your BS. )
jerryd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #138
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore
iTrader: (37)
 
2004Black350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 10,019
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I remember that thread Julian. I didn't know that Romey had you permabanned. But I agree with your comments this forum can make or break you and keep slanders to a minimum. Most shops stay off the forum unless their selling parts
2004Black350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #139
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
1-I dont like the fact of having to rely on a secondary oil pump to scavenge the oil from the turbo to the motor.
With all the turbo kits I have sold, there hasn't been a single pump issue. A couple of customers had the turbo fail (thrust bearings), but not a single pump. That should tell you how reliable these pumps are. Read up on the Exa pump, and you will understand why. Or better yet, do what I did..take one apart if you are not convinced that these things are bullet proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
2-I dont like having the turbo next to the transmission just waiting for a speed bump or road debris to rip your entire turbo and oiling system off the car.(perhaps they have magical roads in Canada, Aye..)
Again, you don't know anything about the kit, and the layout. You will take out your oil pan before you take out anything else on the kit. All the components sit above the subframe, so clearance is great.

Not a great picture, but it shows how high everything is (note the turbo height in reference to the front aluminium sub-frame, and then let me know how it would be possible to have anything hit it).



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
3-its just ugly IMHO


Not sure how many will agree with that...biggest complaint from customers is that everything is tucked away, and they can't show it off.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
4-the designer smeared others kits to market his kit, I know form personal experience that only comes back to bite you on the ***.
I see that you and RudeG are BFF's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
5-Its just a stupid stupid stupid design...
Another thought provoking argument!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
6-Why would you want to retain the OEM exhaust components at all if you were building a serious turbo car?
This is another point that shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to after market performance. Every kit that has ever been built for this platform is made to bolt up to the OEM exhaust/converters. Is it a good idea? Of course not, because it will hinder performance. But that is something most people already know. I tell all my customers with built engines to upgrade the headers as well, since the OEM's are poorly designed and don't flow well at all. OEM headers have an 8" long section that measures just over 1.5" inside diameter...these are garbage and are just barely good enough for stock block power.

Here is a comparison of DE headers (left with 1.65" diameter outlet) to HR/VHR headers on the right (2.2" diameter outlet):



I don't think I need to explain this picture:




There is no need to upgrade the HR/VHR headers at all, since they are built well by Nissan. So, yes, I have done my homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
If I did a 350Z all over again, a set of custom long tube headers to a front mount turbo set up. Putting a turbo under a car is just asking for problems, I dont care how easy the install is. If modding a car was supposed to be easy, everyone would have 700hp cars..
Good luck with that. There is just not enough room for forward facing LTH...unless you do some very extensive engine bay modifications. There is no market for this, because most customers don't want to completely tare up their car. I am of course looking at it from a business perspective, and not a one of set-up.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 06-01-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #140
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,782
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajersyrat View Post
I will agree that Nissan did a decent job with those factory headers for the HR motor. Could always make them a little smoother, but for a mass produced OEM part, not bad at all..

Any idea what may have caused the thrust bearing failures on those few cases?

PS your fabrication is very high quality looking. Nice welds.. So you never attempted to do a larger twin scroll under the hood?
I don't know what could have caused the thrust bearing issues. From what I understand, Precision turbo has switched to steel thrust bearings, and those are more prone to failures than the brass thrust bearings due to the decreased ability to handle thermal expansions. That is only two turbos out of close to one hundred that I have sold, so in the grand scheme of things, not too bad. Both turbos were repaired under warranty.

Thanks for the compliment on fabrication...it is something I have learned to do on my own, because I really enjoy it...and take pride in the quality. I back purge all the pipes with argon, so you get a top notch weld, that can take anything you throw at it.

I have not attempted to do anything in the engine bay. It is just so tight in there, and I don't want to move/cut/alter anything. The engine bay on my car looks OEM:



The other reason I prefer to keep it this way is because I have made a couple of custom kits, and the retention of OEM components for clearances/references is important. I do stay out of the engine bay for the most part. The customers with larger (67/75mm turbos) get 3.5" down pipes, and there is just no way to run that size of down pipe with an engine bay turbo. For example, this particular build (picture below) went to a 3.5" down pipe about 10" after the turbo. I could have gone with the 3.5" DP much closer to the turbo, but did not want to sacrifice ground clearance. 10" of 3" diameter pipe is not going to make any noticeable difference.




This is the customer that made 560whp on pump on the DD I posted earlier in this thread.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 06-01-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Boosted Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Autocross Brake Pads hajwoj Autocross/Road 27 11-01-2015 05:25 PM
My FI friends, im at a loss of whats causing my issues. i turn to you. Colombo Forced Induction 29 10-10-2015 02:31 PM


Tags
2004, 275, 3432020, 350z, 370z, boosted, iphone, kit, mid, mount, my350z, performance, piping, price, single, turbo, turbos

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: