Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

little help with fuel pump assembly for turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM
steambrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little help with fuel pump assembly for turbo set up

Hello everyone

I'm putting in an Eternal Motorsports single turbo kit that I picked up from a good guy over on g35driver. The kit came with the Walbro 255 pump already installed into a pump assembly with an 'extra' piece that I found out is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Even though I know what it does now (after some research) I'm still trying to figure out where or what it hooks up to and if I even need it with teh Walbro pump.

Heres a couple pics to clarify

Yea I know it's not the greatest looking, but it works perfect and I got it for dirt cheap

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by steambrick; 06-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. Assuming it is installed and works properly, the line coming off of it is a boost reference that needs to be plumbed to the intake plenum. This is not something I am used to seeing commonly, and whether you need it anything more than a Walbro depends on your target boost level.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like the system the vortech uses for rising rate. That line will attach to your manifold vac source and as the boost pressure goes up it will increase the fuel pressure.

I've never seen one built like that but if it works then it will give the same results.

What is the rising rate? 1:1 is the proper boost referenced rising rate to account for the offset of boost pressure against the injectors.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:37 PM
steambrick

Originally Posted by Hal@Dynosty
Interesting. Assuming it is installed and works properly, the line coming off of it is a boost reference that needs to be plumbed to the intake plenum. This is not something I am used to seeing commonly, and whether you need it anything more than a Walbro depends on your target boost level.
I should correct myself. I know the pump works fine, the fpr I'm not sure how to test other than to complete the kit installation and hook it up. The previous owner said it worked perfect before he took it out.

I'm not shooting for anything more than 9psi of boost... for now. Just doing a basic build, going for 360-380 whp.

All the other FPRs I've seen are installed in the engine bay. Any thoughts on what benefit it would get from being so close to the fuel pump, and submerged in gasoline?

Last edited by steambrick; 06-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
steambrick

Originally Posted by binder
It looks like the system the vortech uses for rising rate. That line will attach to your manifold vac source and as the boost pressure goes up it will increase the fuel pressure.

I've never seen one built like that but if it works then it will give the same results.

What is the rising rate? 1:1 is the proper boost referenced rising rate to account for the offset of boost pressure against the injectors.
So does that mean this setup is usually for a supercharger? Would it make a difference for a turbo?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

any boosted cars need a rising rate to help offset the pressure that builds in the manifold that makes it harder for the injectors to spray fuel into the manifold. So for every 1psi of boost pressure the fuel pressure goes up 1psi to cancel it out.

Doesn't really matter where that FPR is in the system. At least it's not any noticeable difference.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It uses a JWT fmu similar to vortech. Sorry for the delay I'll get those pics to you.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
steambrick

Thanks for the help Hal and Binder.

One last question. Which would be safer and/or more efficient for routing the hose? Through the cabin and into the engine compartment? Or under the car and into the engine?

It's probably safer through the cabin but probably has a higher probably of getting stepped on/pinched/twisted. But under the car would have to find a route to secure it away from any heat... exhaust, tranny, etc. Or would the heat not make a difference?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM
steambrick

Nevermind about routing the hose. I found the installation instructions on JWT site. Thanks Den
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steambrick
Nevermind about routing the hose. I found the installation instructions on JWT site. Thanks Den
Are you going to change your intercoolers to one single? Those ICs are made for a G35 due to our bumper opening.

The spring on the wastegate is 8psi.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:41 PM
steambrick

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Are you going to change your intercoolers to one single? Those ICs are made for a G35 due to our bumper opening.

The spring on the wastegate is 8psi.
Nah, I'll keep the dual set up. Kind of like how it looks and I'll be able to keep the stock front end.

And I was planning on changing out the spring to the 9psi as long as it can run safely at 9. I'll let the tuners mess around with it and see if the 9 is plausible.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does JWT manufacture that regulator? Pretty slick little setup there... full referenced regulator with no return system. I like that better than the way APS had their "mini-return" with their original turbo kits.

For only 9psi of boost... pending what the base pressure on that regulator is and what size injectors you are using, you dont exactly HAVE to hook that vacuum line up to anything if you dont want to. But if you are on, say, 440cc injectors and it's base pressure is 3 bar or something... than you will want that line for sure. But then again, if you were going to not hook up the vacuum line to it, than you may as well just put the stock regulator back in... so nevermind.

Last edited by phunk; 07-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM
steambrick

Originally Posted by phunk
Does JWT manufacture that regulator? Pretty slick little setup there... full referenced regulator with no return system. I like that better than the way APS had their "mini-return" with their original turbo kits.

For only 9psi of boost... pending what the base pressure on that regulator is and what size injectors you are using, you dont exactly HAVE to hook that vacuum line up to anything if you dont want to. But if you are on, say, 440cc injectors and it's base pressure is 3 bar or something... than you will want that line for sure. But then again, if you were going to not hook up the vacuum line to it, than you may as well just put the stock regulator back in... so nevermind.
I think it's manufactured by JWT. Out of curiosity I called them up and asked. They said they assemble and sell them directly so I guess that could be considered manufacturing

I have the 440cc injectors, so I'll for sure be keeping it in.