Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

2 Questions: hard start all the time and AC dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Drock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions: hard start all the time and AC dead

hi..

First question:

I seem to be having every problem possible after my Vortech install..

my car hard starts all the time.. cold or hot..
it has to crank alot before it starts.

it cranks at normal speed.. so I know its not the battery..
I cant say how many cranks it takes.. but im holding the key for a few seconds for sure before it finally starts..

I have DW 600cc injectors.. and tuned with Uprev.
ive read issues in the past with hot starts when Utec was the main ems.. but I thought using Uprev was suppposed to solve those issues etc..

however once the car starts.. it runs perfect.. and idles perfect too.
its just the start up is ridiculous..?

the car is giving a Random misfire code as per my mechanics Snapon reader.
I will be taking car back.. he suggest I may have to replace the coils.
and/or retune to adjust the AFR etc.. but thats pretty redundant.. I dont want to give up power.. to correct the hard start issue..?

2nd Question:

ive only had my car back from the shop for a couple of days.. I did not use the AC on my drive home fromt he shop on Saturday.
but yesterday was hot.. so turned on the AC.. and its dead.. does not blow any cold air at all.. but heat is working fine.

i understand the AC lines have to be adjusted to fit the blower..etc.. and that its possible to have AC issues after a vortech install.. so this is what must have happened in my case.. it was a sunday.. and called my mechanic, he suggested to check if there was any freon leaks etc.. but I could not see anything evidend to that effect.. when I push the AC button it seems to go on cause I can hear that click.. but no cold air at all.. from what i can see the AC lines seem to be ok.. nothing to suggest there is a crack in a line etc..

I will be taking car back to hopefully get theses issues corrected.. but wanted some some feedback from here..

thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a tune issue. there are several tables that need to be changed to get it right. your tuner should know this, I guess he's not familiar with osiris. Good luck with that.

As for no cold air probably no freon. happened once in my case but it was a matter of forgetting to refill the system... hopefully yours isn't a leak.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Drock

hi, thanks for the reply..

my tuner does have good experience with using Uprev.. he's tuned alot of 350Z and G35

more NA tunes then FI tunes.. but has still done... Greddy, Momemtum and several other vortech tunes too.

I certainly hope he knows how to correct the hard starts..?
its ridiculous, i dont want to stop the car when I go to the corner store, cause I know it will take like 10 cranks before it starts..

it has never not started.. it just takes alot before it starts..
ive even started pushing the gas a little to help it.. but not really sure if it makes a difference.

regarding the AC.. im almost certain it has to do with something when the kit was installed.. the AC was running nice and cold previoulsy with no issues.. so it cant all of sudden need a refill..?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 AM
ibelonginprison

My tuner probably tunes 2-5 cars a week on Osiris, and is a borderline genius... but there was a hot start issue associated with the DW600cc injectors that were quirky. Just one of those things.

Took him a minute to figure it out. So, not ALL tuners (even those extremely familiar with Osiris) know the little trick for dw600's. Have him call uprev, or talk to one of the guys here.

Once my tuner figured it out, took less than 5 minutes to get me straight. Car starts like a champ now. Cold, warm, or hot. Like, drive for 2 hours in 100 degree heat, turn it off.... and it cranks right back up kind of hot.

And correct - I would make sure that all your AC lines are clear and not rubbing anything (or have already rubbed through the line.) Most any of these blower kits have to have the AC lines "massaged out of the way."
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Drock

perfect thanks..

I just spoke to my mechanic.. and he is aware.. of the DW600cc issue using uprev.

fuel has to be pulled at ignition.. its a trial and error thing.. but once its right.. it should start as normal again..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not hard to tune DW600's. I did mine myself and it starts like a champ. Have your tuner contact Jared for clues, it's really basic.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Drock

FYI.. Update.

regarding my dead AC... I noticed it was not working while driving.. so I could not tell if the compresor was engaging..

I read in a couple of other posts.. that the compresor with not engage as a self safey if there is no freeon..

well I just checked it while in my drive way.. turning on the car..and pressed the AC button.. and it did not make the click sound when the compressor goes on..when AC was fucntioning correctly..

therefore Im pretty sure its safe to assume.. there is no more freeon..

cause otherwise I dont see any leaks, cracks with the AC lines etc.. and no visible freeon leak or driping anywhere..

Last edited by Drock; 07-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
jpc350

If you have a Vortech, IIRC the oil line to the blower can be close to the A/C line...Check to see if this A/C line has been damaged over time..
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM
fym

i have this problem with mine aswell. Do i need to bring it in and get it tuned and dyno'd aswell?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fym
i have this problem with mine aswell. Do i need to bring it in and get it tuned and dyno'd aswell?
yes, any FI should be tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. Out of the box tunes are crap and don't work for every car.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Pete5150

Default Ac

I had the same problem with my AC. Try turning the temperature gauge all the way down to 60 degrees. If it starts blowing out cold, the problem is a simple plug behind the panel to the right of the steering wheel. If its not plugged in, the car thinks it's 0 degrees so anything auto will blow heat. But the default setting when the air is turned all the way down is max AC, proving your compressor still works. If that's the case, pop off the panel next to the steering wheel and you'll see a plug undone. Simple fix.

Good luck with the starting. I'm also still having this problem. Tried a tune, tried changing the catch valve on the gas tank, still no luck. Hard start any temperature, unless its running...as soon as the car starts, I can turn it off and fire it right up with a half crank regardless of engine temperature. Not sure what's next to try other than another tune. Maybe fuel pump?

Edit... I just realized this thread was risen from the dead... Hope he didn't spend a lot of money on his AC...

Last edited by Pete5150; 01-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.