Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone else with the jackshaft pulley bolt coming loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:34 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else with the jackshaft pulley bolt coming loose?

This is the second time (and second serpantine belt) for me because this belthas came loose. It comes loose on the side you cannot see (see circled area) which rubs against the aluminum area and "wobbles."

Nissan has paid for my belt twice now and has tried both red and blue thread lock.

They think it is either a "warped pulley" or "design flaw.

Anyone else with the Procharger kit had this belt come loose or shred a serpantine belt (the thin long one?)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else with the jackshaft pulley bolt coming loose?-bolts.jpg  
Old 01-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't had this problem. You say NISSAN paid for it? They covered you under warranty even though you had the Procharger? I would think they'd tell us to take a hike once they saw that.

BTW, what happened to your strut bar?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:15 PM
12SecZ

They installed the Procharger for me.

Yeah I spent 9k there for new engine plus install
and 3k on rims and tires there that only they sell (custom)
then 3k for the Stillen V2 kit they put on.3k nrakes

Let's see here
34k Car
9 k engine
3k rims/tires
3k body kit
3k AP Racing brakes

51k plus some change, yeah they can spring for a couple belts, plus an oil cap etc

My strut bar? what is that?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:20 PM
12SecZ

Has anyone else watched their belts run at length?
Has anyone shredded a belt besides me?

Both times it happened was during either bracket instalation or pulley change. I think the "wobble" they perceive as "warped" is an optical illusion, I don't see it.

I just don't feel like buying belts all summer or ordering another pulley. So no one else has shredded a belt? Or had bolts come loose on *any* of the pulleys?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

There have been posts on the pulleys coming loose but not the belt you tore up. In fact, in one thread, someone posted pics of the pulley on the blower that had come loose when the screw that held it loosened.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else with the jackshaft pulley bolt coming loose?-oil-change-ii-008-copy.jpg  
Old 01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
daking350
Banned

I shredded the rear cog belt last week...But it was cause when I did the install I stipped the Blower bracket bolt cause its a biatch to put in..Plus I was missing anothe bolt on the bottom of the bracket..Well eventually the blower bracket bolt backed out and caused my blower to be out of alignment slightly and CHEWED the rear $100 belt.....Black dust all over the engine compartment...I talked to ATI and they said the front blower bracket (the little triangle shaped thin bracket) is useless and JIC were the ones that requested they use it..This bracket is to be eliminated in the future so I reinstalled it minus the piece and all new bolts compliments of ATI...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else with the jackshaft pulley bolt coming loose?-pcpic.jpg  
Old 01-09-2004, 08:02 PM
12SecZ

Interesting Daking.

Thanks Bonz.

Your pic helped because the pic you posted (Bonz) has the Cog Belt going under the tensioner, not over on mine so that rules that out. Maybe when we changed the pulley we didn't torque is well enough. It's hard to imagine steel hitting aluminum and aluminum winning in a stenght war.

IOW, the aluminum block warped a steel pulley? aybe Nissan needs to stick to Maxima's driven by Grandmas instead of seriuos after market modding?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:18 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Interesting Daking.

Thanks Bonz.

Your pic helped because the pic you posted (Bonz) has the Cog Belt going under the tensioner, not over on mine so that rules that out. Maybe when we changed the pulley we didn't torque is well enough. It's hard to imagine steel hitting aluminum and aluminum winning in a stenght war.

IOW, the aluminum block warped a steel pulley? aybe Nissan needs to stick to Maxima's driven by Grandmas instead of seriuos after market modding?
Maybee they stripped the bolt or shaft???
Old 01-09-2004, 08:51 PM
12SecZ

I think that they would have refused to put it on if that was the case, they take really good care of my car. They had it 2.5 days! They know I am picky. I mean I deal with *one* service writer and *one* mechanic only.

After being handed my rings so to speak I do not allow room for specualtion in errors. I think the bolt is ok.

I threw this out for ideas because it ran perfect in between the two times we loosened the belt. I mean 2k miles with no problems until we changed the boost pully the other day remember? That is alledgedly when the back out occured. The first time *they* didn't use loctite.

If it is just *my* car then I will change to why questions, let's see how it goes. I'm not looking to point fingers I am way beyond any warranties anywhere, I am looking for solutions (if that helps others feel more free to speak.)
Old 01-09-2004, 08:53 PM
12SecZ

P.S. I am designing a strut bar that actually ties into the struts like the FBODS! I figure everyone else is designing stuff why not me? Till then no STB. Look for it soon!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:17 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Did you get a chnace to watch the belt tracking?......if the belt stays in the same place, the pulley isn't bent.....a bent pulley or shaft will have the belt doing a little dance across the pulley in question.......i'd like to get a good look at their work
Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 PM
12SecZ

come on by this weekend dude I work 2000-0400 sat sun
going to bed early tonight so will be up early tomorow.
Actually just got yelled at, guess that means bed time lol.

It seems to run true but it's dark cold and I am tired so I didn't watch it for long lol. Tomorow I will.

Will be up about 8am till 8 pm then off to work, same for sunday then fughetaboutit...

After Monday morning I am on an AF Base and will be out of circulation for about 2 weeks (with the exception of the LA trip.) Wanna go to LA? I drive there you drive back, I have to hurry because I no longer get Thursday off (the day after) OUCH!

Rathe rthan leave tuesday night to be there wednesday morning my schedule changed so I am leaving tuesday to RB Motoring then flash early Wednesday (stay the nght if I can't get a co pilot then leave straight home wednesday for work thursday at 0600 so IOW Last time I flashed and crashed at the Motel this time I am gonna crash then wake up and flash I guess, if that makes sense.

Speaking of crahing talk to you tomorow.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 01-09-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:08 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

i can't make the pilgrimage.......gonna be mid-work-week.......but i gotta see that belt track, so i'll be by.......sooner or later
Old 01-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Now that I have the belt UNDER the tensioner, it is MUCH more quiet. No more squealing. I know in the ATI manual it has it the other way but it just seems to make more sense this way. You have the smooth tensioner running against the smooth part of the belt and not the toothed part.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:31 AM
12SecZ

Yeah me too Bonz. Plus if you change pulleys it's the only way the belt will fit.