Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Getting ready to build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
supraturboman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to build

OK, I know many many people have done this twin turbo set up. But I just want to make sure that I have everything that I will need in order to get it done.

I am doing the Greddy 18g twin turbo kit.
These are the parts I have

Greddy 18g Kit with intercooler
Rc 440cc injectors with clips ( own )
Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump ( own )
AEM Uego Air fuel set up ( own )
AEM Tru boost guage/controller ( own )
JWT heavy duty clutch/flwheel ( not ordered yet )
Greddy oil pan with revised return lines and Feed lines
K&N air filters RU-3610 ( not yet ordered )
UpRev ( Own )
Tial external wastegates ( own )
AAM 3inch down pipes ( own )
Extended dump tubes ( own )
Greddy Catch Can ( own )

Turbo's will be getting rebuilt in the next few weeks, as they were blown when I got them

I believe that is all I have. If there is anything else I may need, or should consider please let me know. I am planning on starting the install in about 1 month. I will be installing the kit with the help of BBS350z. So if any of you milwaukee guys want to help out, give me a shout.

But anyways, any and all input would be great. And BTW I am staying stock block.

Last edited by supraturboman; 09-16-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM
supraturboman

I forgot to mention a brief overview about the car. It is a 2003 enthusiast model with just a tad over 28,000 miles.

I purchased it last year with 24,000 miles and it was completely bone stock. I have added a few things since then, primarily suspension parts, and audio equipment ( non bose ). But I did add the Kinetix v+ plenum, stillen test pipes, knock off HKS exhaust ( did repalce the resonators with a magnaflow x-pipe muffler ). Then had it tuned with the COBB ap with their Race beta program.

So everything on the car is already 100% mechanically sound. No worries there.

I forgot to mention that I will also be swaping the plugs with a -1 heat range plug.. What do you guys recommend as far as that goes? I know there are several options, but which has been proven the better option?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will you pretty much got it all covered. as far as plugs go.. I'm actually running 2 step cooler plugs. not sure if you need it though.. good luck on the build keep us updated..
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 PM
G35BAW

What are you going to use for the oil feed lines or what are you going to connect to for the supply. Location, or after market part for oil supply to feed oil to turbos? Be careful with the boost controller lol! Be safe and don't use it until you build your bottom end. JK but serriously if I had one I know I would be way to tempted to +++++++ ^. Good luck with your instal and I will keep up with your progress. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have everything but a 5a/t crossover pipe for my turbonetics kit. I have the 6mt pipe and I will prob sale it or trade if someone has what I need or I will use to fab up the we pipe. I plan on using uprev too but may purchase somthing to use for my build day and so I can drive it a few weeks till I can setup a day for tuning with uprev. I can't wait!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:12 AM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by G35BAW
What are you going to use for the oil feed lines or what are you going to connect to for the supply. Location, or after market part for oil supply to feed oil to turbos? Be careful with the boost controller lol! Be safe and don't use it until you build your bottom end. JK but serriously if I had one I know I would be way to tempted to +++++++ ^. Good luck with your instal and I will keep up with your progress. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have everything but a 5a/t crossover pipe for my turbonetics kit. I have the 6mt pipe and I will prob sale it or trade if someone has what I need or I will use to fab up the we pipe. I plan on using uprev too but may purchase somthing to use for my build day and so I can drive it a few weeks till I can setup a day for tuning with uprev. I can't wait!
I am using the greddy oil pan, which has the return
Ports on it. As far as the feed linez go, greddy supplies this nifty r splicer that makes 2 t's where the oil pressure sensor goes. So that is how that will work. And as far as not being tempted with the boost controller, I won't be. This is not my first fi car, and I hardly drive the car as is. And when I do I take it easy for the most part, just a few nice pulls getting onto the freeway lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 AM
supraturboman

Sorry for the bad grammar there, I am on my phone.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good man. I'd consider a CJM stage 0 RFS as well but everything looks good.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 AM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Looks good man. I'd consider a CJM stage 0 RFS as well but everything looks good.
What would the benefit be? I know once you get higher in the hp it's beneficial, but what woukd it do for me at 400whp or less?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

plenum spacer
mishimoto oil cooler
rjm clutch pedal bracket mod.
Rev up oil pump

might as well.
And ID agree on the CJM.. as youre going to want to upgrade later and thats a good fuel system.

I run that kit.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:41 AM
supraturboman

So, you don't recommend using my kinetix v+ plenum?

Yesb i just read aboutbthe clutch bracket, seems legit. However I love the way mine feels now. But things will change with the new clutch.

Dumb question, I did not read anything yet about the rev up oil pump. Benefits?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by supraturboman
What would the benefit be? I know once you get higher in the hp it's beneficial, but what woukd it do for me at 400whp or less?
The stock regulator can't compensate for the boost, can't adjust fuel pressure, and can't keep a constant pressure with an aftermarket pump very well. It's worth the $400 for safety and the tuning advantage, especially on a stock block build. To me at least.

Super easy to install too.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

these engines are known for oil starvation, espec at higher rpms. rev up oil pump helps.
I lost a bearing ..NA... on a freeway.
cost me 8500 bucks.

Cooler is good plus increases capacity. not sure what the greddy pan adds, but w my pan spacer and cooler im up to 8 qts of oil.

+1 on everything Ruthless says about the fuel system as well.
Your tuner will be happy to ahve that steeady fuel pressure as well.

Kinetix v+, id not go that route.
Mine was the latest edition, and still had internittent squeaks, ie, leaks, at the gasket.
now imagine that under boost.. id certainly ditch it and get an iso thermal gasket, mrev and a normal el cheapo billet spacer.

Can you do w out any of these items? sure. but since youre in there, they are very good ideas and arent frivolous on unnecessary performance and longevity parts.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by bmccann101
these engines are known for oil starvation, espec at higher rpms. rev up oil pump helps.
I lost a bearing ..NA... on a freeway.
cost me 8500 bucks.

Cooler is good plus increases capacity. not sure what the greddy pan adds, but w my pan spacer and cooler im up to 8 qts of oil.

+1 on everything Ruthless says about the fuel system as well.
Your tuner will be happy to ahve that steeady fuel pressure as well.

Kinetix v+, id not go that route.
Mine was the latest edition, and still had internittent squeaks, ie, leaks, at the gasket.
now imagine that under boost.. id certainly ditch it and get an iso thermal gasket, mrev and a normal el cheapo billet spacer.

Can you do w out any of these items? sure. but since youre in there, they are very good ideas and arent frivolous on unnecessary performance and longevity parts.
Ok perfect, I will look towards the addition of the oil pump. I cant believe that i forgot about the oil cooler.
The rfs i will look into and ask my tuner his opinion. I know in the future it will be nice, but im mot going to stay with the vq. I am going to go ls within the next 2 years. This set-up is just purely to hold me over. And before anyone says crap about spending this much on a temporary set-up, I know it is foolish. But it is what keeps me wanting to keep the z.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

They're all temporary..lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by bmccann101
They're all temporary..lol.
I know. But hell, it's a better habit than crack lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy a used haltech over that uprev.

You'll also want some tires too if you don't already have sticky shoes... Sliding the car around is fun, but imho being able to corner/grip and drive a balanced car is even better (seeing as you're going to be in power levels where traction still exists).

But in all honesty, if you're going ls, you could just get a nitrous kit and make all the same power as a tt setup for a fraction of the cost. That'd definitely hold you over. Add in a nice exhaust, bolt ons for some wrenching 'fun' and tires.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM
G35BAW

Default Hella oil temps!

I forgot to mention oil cooler too. I think an oil cooler is the wa to go to. As far as haltec I have no experience with that. But I do know bang for the buck that revup is the way to go no doubt. I do know that haltec has a way to tune with boost and it controls it safely.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM
supraturboman

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Buy a used haltech over that uprev.

You'll also want some tires too if you don't already have sticky shoes... Sliding the car around is fun, but imho being able to corner/grip and drive a balanced car is even better (seeing as you're going to be in power levels where traction still exists).

But in all honesty, if you're going ls, you could just get a nitrous kit and make all the same power as a tt setup for a fraction of the cost. That'd definitely hold you over. Add in a nice exhaust, bolt ons for some wrenching 'fun' and tires.
I am in no way a nitrous fan. Never have been, never will be. I know it is a great product, but just not for this guy.

Tire wise, I am running 285/35r18 Bridgestone S-04 Pole postion tires. Brand new. I work for a sub company of Bridgestone, so there for I get all my high end tires for litterally 50% whatever they are currently being sold for.

I know haltech is better, but for the power I am going to be at it is not worth it. Plus I will not be upgrading the VQ, so I will NOT be needing the haltech when I do the swap.... And to reiderate, I am NOT a dreamer.

But thank you everyone so far for all the input so far. This is really helpful..
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM
supraturboman

Upon Futher looking I think These K&N filters will work the best..

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=rc-5131
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
supraturboman

UpRev is orderd.. Got a great deal too.

I am looking into oil coolers at the moment and the Revup oil pump..

Clutch wise I am trying to decided between A ACT 6 puck with Streetlite flywheel, or continue with the JWT Heavy duty clutch kit from Concept Z. ANy input on that?

Quick Reply: Getting ready to build