Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

700rwhp turbo kit (single or twins and what mods)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 PM
spoolin turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
.....Turbo systems are turbo systems. You put flow and displacement with the turbo and you will get power. Since a supra is a 3.0 liter and we run a 3.5 liter then power outputs will be similar if the correct supporting mods are used.
This statement is incorrect. A larger displacement motor and a smaller displacement motor on the same turbo at the same boost will not make similar power. Thats why turbos have a larger hp rating for each application.
For example an GT47-80 on a 4cyl 2.0 is capable of 1100-1150rwhp yet on a LS motor (using this displacement for example) you need a GT55-91 to be in the 1000-1100rwhp range. BIG difference in compressor needed but im using a larger difference in displacement just for illustration.

Moving to the 3.0 and 3.5.
If the power outputs are similar how many stock 350Z motors do you see BONE STOCK running 30-35psi with intake/exhaust/single setup only. My little knowlege of these motors would say very very little. Yet lots of supras run that all day long. I bet the power outputs with intake/exhaust mods are far different. The motors are so different that you cant even compare.

Thats why im coming in here with a clean slate and open mind. I know what turbos are rated for and how much they can produce but ever platform is different.

Jerryd87 looks like I struck a nerve with the 2J vs Z comparison...I guess thats a big comparison on here. Not my intension to preach which is better. Just to understand the Z setup more. I appreciate the informative post you made before. Oh and a 6766 on a 2J has done 950rwhp with an 81a/r housing.

Last edited by spoolin turbo; 10-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are comparing something with forged internals to something without which has NOTHING to do with displacement. That is the only reason why stock block supra engine will hold more power than vq. Not because of their displacement.

I've built plenty of motors to know what I'm talking about. The differences between a 3 liter and 3.5 liter with the same turbo are going to be minor. If you don't believe me then you obviously haven't spent much time looking over setups. I'm not talking about supporting mods so don't think "ya got me". You glazed over the statement I made about supporting mods. I'm talking strictly displacement. A properly designed 3.0L verses properly designed 3.5 liter setup will yield very similar results. Smaller displacement might come out a little higher on HP but the larger displacement will come out with more tq in the midrange. With only .5L difference the differences aren't large enough to worry about when just trying to decide on turbo size.

If they were "so different you can't even compare" then I wonder why a lot of shops that tune vq engines also do 2jz......

The fact that you don't think a single turbo setup is going to produce as much power as twins says you haven't even spent time reading about these setups let alone actually building them and tuning them.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM
spoolin turbo

Originally Posted by binder
You are comparing something with forged internals to something without which has NOTHING to do with displacement. That is the only reason why stock block supra engine will hold more power than vq. Not because of their displacement.

I've built plenty of motors to know what I'm talking about. The differences between a 3 liter and 3.5 liter with the same turbo are going to be minor. If you don't believe me then you obviously haven't spent much time looking over setups. I'm not talking about supporting mods so don't think "ya got me". You glazed over the statement I made about supporting mods. I'm talking strictly displacement. A properly designed 3.0L verses properly designed 3.5 liter setup will yield very similar results. Smaller displacement might come out a little higher on HP but the larger displacement will come out with more tq in the midrange. With only .5L difference the differences aren't large enough to worry about when just trying to decide on turbo size.

If they were "so different you can't even compare" then I wonder why a lot of shops that tune vq engines also do 2jz......

The fact that you don't think a single turbo setup is going to produce as much power as twins says you haven't even spent time reading about these setups let alone actually building them and tuning them.
I was comparing the stock 3.0L vs the stock 3.5L. I understand AUC, but if the block cant take it then it cant. I took your statement as supporting mods as bpu upgrades. Now your defending by building a stronger Z motor. If I had known you were going into building the motor then I would not have made that comment.

I never said twins would not make as much power as a single. Not sure where you read that.

Shops will tune VQ/2J/B-series/LS motors....whatever pays the bills. If you know what you are doing you can properly tune different motors. Why limit yourself.

I never said I was a tuner and no I dont build motors. Forgive me for not having this expert knowledge like you but I do think I stated from the beginning I was green to the Z motor. Please share your wisdom with me on what is needed for 700rwhp. Thats all im asking for, not here to argue with anyone, just learn more about this platform...thats it.

Last edited by spoolin turbo; 10-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you have to build the motor for boost, the 2jz was built for boost from the factory with forged internals......... the vq was built to be a na engine with crap rods............. the block will take it just fine its questionable if the block needs sleeves before 800 and it seems the general consensus now is no it dosnt. with sleeves the vq built by reputable shops has held more then enough power, think vtr's shop car was what around 1600 to the wheels? granted it was a tube chassis.

for tuning sure they will tune anything but shops have specialty's, places that specialize in the vq also tend to specialize in the 2jz. at the absolute most the 2jz will make 50 hp more, and thats doubtful. going from a 2L to a 3L(evo to 2jz) the precision turbos show about 100 whp less on the bigger engine, and most of that is from how high they spin the engine. 2jz and vq35 run in similar rev ranges so yes the power difference is minimal and you can have a very good idea. it half a liter not triple the displacement like your comparison, we are comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples your comparing grapes to bowling *****.

the only thing you will continue to get is flamed since all the information is readily available. no one is going to help you
Originally Posted by spoolin turbo
I was comparing the stock 3.0L vs the stock 3.5L. I understand AUC, but if the block cant take it then it cant. I took your statement as supporting mods as bpu upgrades. Now your defending by building a stronger Z motor. If I had known you were going into building the motor then I would not have made that comment.

I never said twins would not make as much power as a single. Not sure where you read that.

Shops will tune VQ/2J/B-series/LS motors....whatever pays the bills. If you know what you are doing you can properly tune different motors. Why limit yourself.

I never said I was a tuner and no I dont build motors. Forgive me for not having this expert knowledge like you but I do think I stated from the beginning I was green to the Z motor. Please share your wisdom with me on what is needed for 700rwhp. Thats all im asking for, not here to argue with anyone, just learn more about this platform...thats it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 AM
spoolin turbo

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
binder

2) Would it be better to go single or twins?

Also please recommend some kits/turbos that you think will help him get there. Im green to this and so is he. Ive just been reading on single kits and they all seem to max around 650rwhp.
TIA.
Stating that you think the singles will max at 650 and asking which to use implies that you don't know what singles can do.

The reason most stay under 650 is that most cars are street cars. Go on the supra forums and you will find most are below 650. There just is no need for a pure street vehicle to push for more hp so people don't. I personally choose to run mine on the 607hp dyno map over my 652 map because of traction. After 600 it's just a waste on the street with limited traction.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

everyone's going soft. what is it, the holidays coming up or something?
I came into this thread hoping for something good... and im disappointed:

PS:
OP don't believe everything you read on the supra forums. SP for example has a dyno that reads much higher than others... That's with all respect to the SP guys, they have a great shop and have great products, and are really knowledgeable.
And nobody knows what the limit is of a 67 on a vq. Binder has gone the furthest out of everyone on a 67mm, and he is on low level boost. Beyond that, most of the records set for 67/71/75/62 etc turbos are on 3.4l built/cammed motors. Our heads drastically out flow 2j's. A mild cam 2j flows roughly equivalent to a stock cam/stock port/stock valve PAIR of vq heads.

EDIT:
youre a ****.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-30-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
jerryd87

think we are all just tired and bored of picking on noobs lol, plus you have epic spiderman pics lol
Originally Posted by Resmarted
everyone's going soft. what is it, the holidays coming up or something?
I came into this thread hoping for something good... and im disappointed:

PS:
OP don't believe everything you read on the supra forums. SP for example has a dyno that reads much higher than others... That's with all respect to the SP guys, they have a great shop and have great products, and are really knowledgeable.
And nobody knows what the limit is of a 67 on a vq. Binder has gone the furthest out of everyone on a 67mm, and he is on low level boost. Beyond that, most of the records set for 67/71/75/62 etc turbos are on 3.4l built/cammed motors. Our heads drastically out flow 2j's. A mild cam 2j flows roughly equivalent to a stock cam/stock port/stock valve PAIR of vq heads.

EDIT:
youre a ****.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
abushong504

Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 PM
jerryd87

abushong your sig makes me sick, the amount of power lol i thought mine was pretty good with 600 ft lbs at 26 psi(or mayby more idk since clutch slipping lol) i wanna see what your setup will really make with a stronger clutch
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

BP kit with PTE 6766 turbo and long tube headers will make +700whp in a built VQ all day long.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350
BP kit with PTE 6766 turbo and long tube headers will make +700whp in a built VQ all day long.
No it won't, because it does not work with long tube headers.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 AM
binder

Originally Posted by boosted performance
no it won't, because it does not work with long tube headers.
oh snap
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
No it won't, because it does not work with long tube headers.

My boint is PTE 6766 will make +700whp for him with anything but the stock manifolds.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Alberto
Off the shelf 18G has made 720+whp

Search you dumb *****
No ***** all of these builds have been posted time and time again.

OP stop trying to reinvent the wheel and look at the sample builds that have been posted