Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if a part failed in the motor, the install would have nothing to do with that and should be completely covered by the engine builder.

I know what you are saying though. But direct motor swaps are just about turning wrenches. Nothing techical like bearing clearances etc. I bet any good auto shop does 3-5 reman'd motor swaps a month.

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Triji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
installing a built motor is a trivial job and can be done by basically any competent mechanic. The supercharger is a very easy bolt on affair as well.

I would just have Dynosty do a complete long block with timing, valve covers, and oil pans all finished. Then its just a straight swap. Absolutely no reason to ship your car there.

Being in AZ, you have plenty of top notch tuners to chose from as well.
Yeah, actually that is what I am having them do... Totally built long block fully assembled so it would be a straight swap... Had a quote of $1,200 to ship the car (enclosed)... Which is a tad much for me at this time so I have one or two places left here to check out locally for the install... keeping fingers crossed that I can find a really good place to take care of her is if she was their own...

I know Dynosty would so I am still on the verge of shipping her but we will see...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Triji

Ok so I think I have decided to have UMS Tuning out here in AZ do the install... I just have a real hard time trusting my car on an open carrier going more than 1/2 way across the Country in the possible rain, sleet, snow and the elements... Poor thing would need a blankie, a binkie and scarf to keep her warm and cozy... UMS has a done alot of VQ work and their tuning is top notch.

Also decided on tomei wraped headers and injector dynamics plug n play... Now I am trying to decide in an upgaded blower between the T-Trim, Si-Trim or as some have suggested the Ysi-Trim.

Been searching on the blowers and have yet to nail down the one that will be going in... The Ysi may be overkill for what I am looking for however, especially on an auto tranny.

The motor is out of the mahine shop now and getting cleaned up for the assembly according to the call today so it is progressing...
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Triji

Oh jeesh... I need to turn these forums OFF... The build sheet just seems to keep growing and I keep pushing the time frame back. Should be done near the end of Feb with the build and yes I WILL be shipping my baby out to Hal at Dynosty to do the install... With the coin this will cost that is just added security to make sure they get it right and tune her to their high standards.

The guys at Dynosty have been great to deal with this far and answer all my questions no matter how NuBish they seem.

Ok Updated build sheet:

-Dynosty Stage 1 Short Block, includes CP Pistons, ARP Main Studs, ACL
bearings, Align Hone, Magnaflux and Micropolish Crank, Balance and Blueprint, Bore
and Hone with Torque Plate, Deck, Wash and Pro Assembly

-CP Pistons 9.5:1 Custom CR
-Manley Turbo Tuff Rods Upgrade
-Head Refresh Package, includes Valve Job, Mill, Adjust Valves, Clean and Pressure
Check. Includes new OEM valve seals.
-ARP L19 Head Studs
-Dynosty Pro Seal VQ35 Stopper Head Gasket Kit, 96mm
-Complete Engine Assembly (includes cleaning core components, assembly of timing
systems, oil pans)
-Nissan Oil Pump, 350Z Revup
-Dynosty Custom VQ Engine Build Gasket Kit, using Nissan parts, complete w/ new rear
main seal, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, etc
-VQ35 Billet Main Girdle, with adaption for stock windage tray
-Nissan 350Z Rear Coolant Bypass Kit
-Nissan VQ35DE ATI Super Damper Balancer
-NGK Iridium Spark Plug, 1 step colder
-Injector Dynamics 725cc injectors
-ID 1000 Plug and Play Connectors for VQ35

-Tomei VQ35DE Wraped Headers
-Kelford Cams 266/260 Duration, 10.20mm/9.70mm Lift
-BC Single Spring & Ti Retainer Kit
-Cosworth VQ35 Twin Plenum Intake Manifold
-Powdercoat front covers
-Powdercoat cosworth intake manifold
-Paint block includes prep and supply
-Transgo VB upgrade
-ACT Clutchpacks

Yet to be added to the buildsheet are the oil and tranny coolers but will be getting those as well...

I am sure I will add some more stuff on there like new fluid reservoirs and things to tidy up the engine bay but I am trying NOT to overstretch myself or my pocketbook to much and am making SURE I have the coin before adding things on I can't afford. I like to have the cash in the bank before paying for stuff my a$$ can't back up. I don't put anything on my credit card I can't pay for at he end of the month.

Suggestions are welcome as always!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM
jomamahama

hey OP i don't know how much of the auto build threads you've read, it's sucked at figuring out good built transmission options. SGP, level 10, and some rip-off places too have all delivered crap. I think a GTM one held up to abuse but uncertain if they upgraded clutch packs. To my knowledge, most folks do transgo+cooler with optional deeper pan. The stock TC usually isn't changed and you only need to change that if you want to launch from a higher stall rpm.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^Depending on the power level and usage, the torque converter should be changed out. Mine lasted only 8 months at 450whp/wtq. And GTM does change the clutch packs as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you ever need another transmission, I have one 44k miles.
Or a spare oem block lol.

If you're really worried about things just have dynosty build the whole long block. Dropping the engine in is really hard to **** things up lol.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Triji

I have read ALOT on of the 5AT threads and it seems that the built tranny that rcdash has from GTM seemed to hold up well for him for a good amount of time. My tranny was slipping a bit at 90k miles and I had a local tranny shop rebuild her w/ a upgraded TQ converter at that time so when I ship her to Dynosty I will have them install the TransGo and a cooler and get their opinion on clutch packs... I think that should hold the power of the Vortech since it's a much more linier pull than a turbo.

Originally Posted by jomamahama
hey OP i don't know how much of the auto build threads you've read, it's sucked at figuring out good built transmission options. SGP, level 10, and some rip-off places too have all delivered crap. I think a GTM one held up to abuse but uncertain if they upgraded clutch packs. To my knowledge, most folks do transgo+cooler with optional deeper pan. The stock TC usually isn't changed and you only need to change that if you want to launch from a higher stall rpm.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Triji

I am getting a full long block from them so it should be good to go and having them do it from start to finish and seeing it thru is just for my peace of mind for me. The last thing I want is for a shop out here to start her up, blow a gasket or something and have the fingers start pointing in every direction. Plus Dynosty has certain break in procedures they use for their blocks and Hal is a great tuner so I just feel more comfortable putting her in their hands.

And the cost of shipping the engine out here and then my Core back to them would be the same as just shipping my car out there so all I will be out is the shipping of the car back to AZ... I'd love to fly out there and drive her back but that is almost 1,800 miles and right around 24 hours drive time...

Originally Posted by Resmarted
If you ever need another transmission, I have one 44k miles.
Or a spare oem block lol.

If you're really worried about things just have dynosty build the whole long block. Dropping the engine in is really hard to **** things up lol.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 AM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice! Hal and Eddie are top notch. Besides myself they are the only guys to ever touch my car.. As others have stated your in excellent hands... And peace of mind is wat its all about...

Don't kno if u considered this but u could ship the car one way, then fly out to pick it up and enjoy the drive back!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Triji

^^ Yeah I thought about it but it's 1800 miles and about a 24 hour drive from there back home and if any gremlins reared their heads on the way I'd be screwed... If it were a shorter drive I'd be all over it.

And yeah, everything I have read and researched about Dynosty has all been good/outstanding so I feel comfortable putting her in their hands.

(PS) I have a hard time reading your posts because I can't keep my eyes from veering left...

Last edited by Triji; 12-29-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM
faiz23
FEZZZZZZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you are getting all new timing components like chains, guides, tensioners and VTC sprockets. Those parts are known to wear out specifically guides, tensioners and sprockets. I would make sure all your timing components are new versus 82,000 miles old.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Triji
I have read ALOT on of the 5AT threads and it seems that the built tranny that rcdash has from GTM seemed to hold up well for him for a good amount of time. My tranny was slipping a bit at 90k miles and I had a local tranny shop rebuild her w/ a upgraded TQ converter at that time so when I ship her to Dynosty I will have them install the TransGo and a cooler and get their opinion on clutch packs... I think that should hold the power of the Vortech since it's a much more linier pull than a turbo.
I think this is reasonable. If it starts slipping eventually, rebuild it then, locally. New clutches are not only better frictions, but they are thinner, so more can be packed into the drums. This distributes the load over more surface area. I'm not certain what the stock clutch frictions will endure with the upgraded VB. Only one way to find out...

Even though you are transporting, be on the look out for a cheap round trip ticket to Louisville. Although not necessary, it's a great idea to go check out the build and drive the car before they transport it back. Hal and Eddie are meticulous but no one will know your car like you do or examine it the same way. They will be happy to fix anything that you catch but that's tough if the car has already been transported back.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Triji

^^ Good point... I have talked to Hal and Dustin a number of times and I don't think they would steer anyone wrong and from what I hear about Eddie he knows his chit like few others. I would like to take a trip out there and meet them after the build is complete so they can show me the ins and out of the Osiris and to take it for a spin to make sure she is buttoned up tight but if I can't make it I feel pretty comfortable with them. They will be taking pics throught the build for me and emailing them and hopefully I can get a video of a dyno session also.

I have taken the 350+lb stereo / video set up out of the trunk and de-riced the LED's in the wheel wells on the drivers side today (dang, I had alot of LED's in there)... Will be doing the passanger side tomorrow... No longer showing her so no need for that stuff anymore. I'm sure if she showed up there in that state they would look at her and say WTF?!?! (lol)

If I can make it out there I will, if not I don't think I will be too stressed out about it as they seem like very upfront people... But yeah, things can happen I guess.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by faiz23
I hope you are getting all new timing components like chains, guides, tensioners and VTC sprockets. Those parts are known to wear out specifically guides, tensioners and sprockets. I would make sure all your timing components are new versus 82,000 miles old.
Now that you mention it I am not sure but thanks for the tip, I will make sure to ask on Wed after the New Year holiday if they are not in on Monday. I kinda assumed that it would be new parts or at least inspected very closely as it says "Complete Engine Assembly (includes cleaning core components, assembly of timing systems, oil pans)" ...

Will make sure to ask about that... Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Resmarted

Now that you mention it I am not sure but thanks for the tip, I will make sure to ask on Wed after the New Year holiday if they are not in on Monday. I kinda assumed that it would be new parts or at least inspected very closely as it says "Complete Engine Assembly (includes cleaning core components, assembly of timing systems, oil pans)" ...

Will make sure to ask about that... Thanks again.
Don't worry about a thing. Dynosty has their sh*t together.
They really do cover everything, and I mean everything. They're not going to forget any details.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Triji

Originally Posted by Resmarted
Don't worry about a thing. Dynosty has their sh*t together.
They really do cover everything, and I mean everything. They're not going to forget any details.

I dunno man.... I heard from 'somewhere' that it was just some sketchy *** place in kentucky (lol)

You sure about that?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Resmarted

I dunno man.... I heard from 'somewhere' that it was just some sketchy *** place in kentucky (lol)

You sure about that?
UHHHHHH

*stalls*
No my engine block came from some sketchy place in kentucky.

Dynosty on the other hand is a magical place where horsepower increases exponentially, 350z's go to get wings and get engine swapped with nuclear submarine's.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Triji

^^ Ahh geeeee... Good to know! My G is gonna be nuke powered!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

they are definitely not replacing any timing parts (unless you have a specific line item for that). Just swapping them over.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE 5AT G35 Build (By Dynosty)