Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM
hellman_x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be interesting.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sub'd for results and more pix
Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

UTube Vortech V7 YSI with 10 Rib and Kurgans crank/strut support

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-27-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
OldManZ350

Kurgans crank/strut support

Can be used with Cog or Rib Type pulleys
Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-kms_blower_strut_brace.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-picture496-1.jpg  

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM
OldManZ350

Kurgans crank/strut support with 10 Rib on V7 YSI
Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-picture496-1.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-img_1620.jpg  

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-27-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not doubting the 10 rib setup but ive seen just as many people running the cog setup as the 10 rib on the street, less bearing life supposedly but the same goes for a brace. also seen people busting belts with both a straight up cog setup as well as 10 rib with the brace with ysi or similar sized blowers. never seen a cog with brace fail though, at certain points you have to make compromises and for superchargers i would have to say the ysi on our cars is that point.

not to mention ive even seen people with belt slip issues on even a 12 rib serp setup on the bigger blowers like that around 25 psi and above, anyway you go its gona be a pretty penny and all the downsides to a cog setup on the street happen when you start using crank pulleys and insane pressures on tensioners.

cogs work and dont slip, not to mention that serp setup looks to be about the same size as a 35mm cog setup

also since your going for this might wanna look into mayby a case to strut tower brace

Last edited by jerryd87; 12-27-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 AM
juicinjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
IMO, To do it right, you need a Minimum of a 10 Rib.... 10 rib with a V7 YSi is very common and works well to 35PSI. I don't like a Cog setup for the Street, but that is just me. ATI can build you a complete set rib or cog, and so can many other places.

A new friend of mind told me about a New Coating for Pulleys, Looks Very Intesting. http://www.carbiniteracing.com/index.html
can ati modify your existing superdamper to run a 10-rib configuration though?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM
OldManZ350

Originally Posted by juicinjake
can ati modify your existing superdamper to run a 10-rib configuration though?
Ya, they will just make a new 10 rib outer shell, or they may have one that works, depending on alinement....

After a little research looks like they already make it availble. see below

Super Damper® Harmonic Dampers

The patented ATI Super Damper is the only crankshaft damper designed exclusively for high performance Chevy engines.

Eliminates torsional crankshaft vibrations
Exceeds SFI 18.1 specs
Black zinc chromate finished
Tunable, rebuildable, and extremely efficient at ALL RPM
Laser engraved 360° timing marks
The ATI Serpentine Super Damper contains grooves for serpentine belts machined into the outer damper shell. The dampers come standard with 6 outer grooves for standard OEM drive systems. 8 & 10 grooves are available for supercharger or turbo applications. Serpentine dampers are available in a variety of diameters. Crank hubs may be fitted with a 6 groove serpentine pulley to drive external oil pumps or vehicle accessories.
Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-ati-vq35-harmonic-damper-1.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-damper-cross-section1.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-serp-damper.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-28641234-547-undefined.jpg  

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-28-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Cant wait to see how this thing turns out, been wondering when you were gonna get back around to a new build thread..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 AM
juicinjake

Ya, they will just make a new 10 rib outer shell, or they may have one that works, depending on alinement....

After a little research looks like they already make it availble. see below

Super Damper® Harmonic Dampers

The patented ATI Super Damper is the only crankshaft damper designed exclusively for high performance Chevy engines.

Eliminates torsional crankshaft vibrations
Exceeds SFI 18.1 specs
Black zinc chromate finished
Tunable, rebuildable, and extremely efficient at ALL RPM
Laser engraved 360° timing marks
The ATI Serpentine Super Damper contains grooves for serpentine belts machined into the outer damper shell. The dampers come standard with 6 outer grooves for standard OEM drive systems. 8 & 10 grooves are available for supercharger or turbo applications. Serpentine dampers are available in a variety of diameters. Crank hubs may be fitted with a 6 groove serpentine pulley to drive external oil pumps or vehicle accessories.
i just talked to dave over at ati about this. he said he could definitely do the 10-rib outter shell like you mentioned. i am going to send him my superdamper to have this done. my question to the guys that already have these kits installed on their car... is there room for a 10-rib setup? i can get custom power steering and alternator pullies to work with this no problem, but i just want to know if it will fit. tim, what do you think?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Threads

Wow, these conversations are turning out to be extremely valuable.

I'm definitely going to contact ATI (and possibly other vendors) to see what all of my options are. I'm leaning more towards a 10 (or 12) rib serp setup. With a cog setup, I'd need to figure out a way to mount the supercharger backwards (similar to the video posted above.) Because of space issues ( got to keep a/c ) and hearing how much boost people are getting using a 10-rib, going full cog may be more trouble than it's worth.

If i decided on a higher rib serp setup, should I be staying with Vortech's recommended belt layout? With Vortech's belt layout, I've seen 18-20psi with not alot of noticeable slip, FWIW.

i just talked to dave over at ati about this. he said he could definitely do the 10-rib outter shell like you mentioned. i am going to send him my superdamper to have this done. my question to the guys that already have these kits installed on their car... is there room for a 10-rib setup? i can get custom power steering and alternator pullies to work with this no problem, but i just want to know if it will fit. tim, what do you think?
I was thinking about potential space issues as well. I know space is already really tight around where the supercharger sits on the bracket and the pulley there.

Last edited by Threads; 12-28-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM
juicinjake

Originally Posted by Threads

I'm definitely going to contact ATI (and possibly other vendors) to see what all of my options are. I'm leaning more towards a 10 (or 12) rib serp setup. With a cog setup, I'd need to figure out a way to mount the supercharger backwards (similar to the video posted above.) Because of space issues ( got to keep a/c ) and hearing how much boost people are getting using a 10-rib, going full cog may be more trouble than it's worth.

If i decided on a higher rib serp setup, should I be staying with Vortech's recommended belt layout? With Vortech's belt layout, I've seen 18-20psi with not alot of noticeable slip, FWIW.

I was thinking about potential space issues as well. I know space is already really tight around where the supercharger sits on the bracket and the pulley there.
dude look into that carbinite coating. the mustang guys are going 8's on an 8-rib setup on an f2 procharger. that on a 10-rib should perform similar to a cog setup in terms of grip.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM
OldManZ350

YES......

Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
OldManZ350

NO, you do not, everybody makes this way to complexed.... Don't over think it...

It will NOT affect the AC at all.

The SC will mount in the original position, you can clock the blower any way you want, every 45* or so. If you would like to reconfig the piping.

As far as Belts, go with the 10 rib, it will work fine.....12 rib is a bit odd, finding belts, ect. The 10 rib is very common.

Think of it this way, you are just adding 4 ribs on to the Front of the pulley, toward the front of the car. Their may be some miner clearance issues, but I don't really see any.....

I've done all my Homework on this 2 years ago, now I giving up all my work for free, and not even going to be the First to do it....haha

You will setup the Pulley Layout the Best way you can for Form, Fit and Function.... Don't make it complicated, the simpler the Better.

If you are Not a Mechanical Person, this job is not for you..... It take Skill and Experience to do this job Right.....

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-28-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice ....may I ask how much for the upgrade to the ATI 8 or 10 rib?

Also, not only will you need to upgrade the pulleys, but also the spacers for the blower to the bracket; it's already a tight fit fot the 6 rib setup, so you'll need bigger spacers...

Here's a pic of my former YSi mounted with a 2.75 pulley...you can see one of the spacers in the pic

Name:  IMG_0513.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  125.5 KB

Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by 350z006
Nice ....may I ask how much for the upgrade to the ATI 8 or 10 rib?

Also, not only will you need to upgrade the pulleys, but also the spacers for the blower to the bracket; it's already a tight fit fot the 6 rib setup, so you'll need bigger spacers...
This is what I was worried about. After looking over the Vortech manual, I think the revup kits came with these spacers. 350z006, did you buy those spacers from Vortech or did you get them from a hardware store?

juicinjake, If you got a quote already, I would also like to hear what the damage is going to be.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM
OldManZ350

The Revup is a different Story, but I think doable....

10 rib is 1-3/8 wide and a 6 rib is 13/16 wide, so on a Revup the blower would need to move forward 9/16"

I have a Non-Revup, so not near the same clearance issue, if any.

This is what I was worried about. After looking over the Vortech manual, I think the revup kits came with these spacers. 350z006, did you buy those spacers from Vortech or did you get them from a hardware store?

juicinjake, If you got a quote already, I would also like to hear what the damage is going to be.
Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-p1010023.jpg  

Last edited by OldManZ350; 12-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Threads

The Revup is a different Story, but I think doable....

10 rib is 1-3/8 wide and a 6 rib is 13/16 wide, so on a Revup the blower would need to move forward 9/16"

I have a Non-Revup, so not near the same clearance issue, if any.
That's good to know. I have the non-revup as well. I wondering if 350z006 has a revup bracket or if the YSi's volute is just that much larger.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM
juicinjake

ati said the cost was going to be similar to that of a new damper, around $350 for a custom job. now if you guys are serious and we can all get money together, perhaps we can negotiate a group buy price. im game. im gonna call the guy back here in a little bit and ill bring that up and see if it would affect the pricing at all.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Threads

ati said the cost was going to be similar to that of a new damper, around $350 for a custom job. now if you guys are serious and we can all get money together, perhaps we can negotiate a group buy price. im game. im gonna call the guy back here in a little bit and ill bring that up and see if it would affect the pricing at all.
I, for one, would be in for a damper.

I'm wondering if ATI would also be able to make all of the pulleys needed to make this setup work, or if it's easier to try to find 10-rib pulleys and larger tensioners that are already mass-produced...

Quick Reply: My V7 YSi Build