Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to fix the water leak, pinpoint my clutch issues to the slave cylinder, and figure out a way to route the blower intake.

Here are a few pictures of the intake. Probably not the best filter placement, but I'm sure it beats being mounted in the hot engine bay.

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
It's coming together.

can you post up some pic's of the Fit of the YSi?

Thanks
Any particular areas in particular? The blower itself fits pretty similar to the V2/V3s. It's just super close to the frame by the headlight. The bolt for the supercharger cog is almost on the frame as well, and part of the intake flange is almost inline with the end of my Mishimoto radiator.

Last edited by Threads; 05-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Ysi love (and correction it is almost 800whp)

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...09285672465591

Last edited by Quamen; 05-27-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Any pic's you can get of the blower, different angles would be good.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is that air filter dual cone (has material sunk in the middle)? It seems small for a blower that moves so much air.

Also, I would plan on upgrading that intercooler when you start pushing higher hp.

Is that ysi mounted on the v2 mounting bracket or did you have to make modifications to it?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by binder
Is that air filter dual cone (has material sunk in the middle)? It seems small for a blower that moves so much air.
I don't believe the filter is dual cone. I got a small filter with the idea of leveraging my bumper's air duct, however, the filters aren't as small as advertised so I had to route the intake like shown above. On the dyno, I'll experiment with the filter to see just how restrictive it's being.

For reference: http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1370

Also, I would plan on upgrading that intercooler when you start pushing higher hp.
A bigger intercooler is definitely on the "buy" list.

Is that ysi mounted on the v2 mounting bracket or did you have to make modifications to it?
I'm using the Vortech bracket that came with my V3 kit.

Last edited by Threads; 05-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered making a custom air box for a panel filter in the bumper?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
OldManZ350

Super Restrictive Air Intake. (If you want to take Advantage of your Bigger YSi Blower)

1. YSi Inlet is 4", you necked that down to a 3"

2. Tiny Air Filter, only about 44 square inches of surface area, needs to be 2-3 times that size.

That being said, their is not a lot of room, but you can clearly fit a 3-1/2" tube thru the opening attached with a hump hose. you may need to upon up the opening some.

With that intercooler, you can put a 45* hose couping on the end of your intake and fit a Big the biggest filter as possable. Any Filter is going to be restrictive moving that much CFM (1600CFM), so Bigger is better. With a larger intercooler it will be much harder to do.

Last edited by OldManZ350; 05-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Threads
I don't believe the filter is dual cone. I got a small filter with the idea of leveraging my bumper's air duct, however, the filters aren't as small as advertised so I had to route the intake like shown above. On the dyno, I'll experiment with the filter to see just how restrictive it's being.

For reference: http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1370

A bigger intercooler is definitely on the "buy" list.

I'm using the Vortech bracket that came with my V3 kit.

Cool, how much space do you have between the blower and the core support? If there is adequate space you could use a 4" 90* silicone coupler then use whatever sized 4" filter you want down in front of the driver's side wheel. I did that on my v2 but it also had plenty of room for that 90* fitting right off the turbo.

Not trying to pick apart your build or anything. I know from personal experience it sucks to pay for dyno time to find out something is holding you back.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you just need this hose, like I use on my turbo intakes
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3631

and a real big k/n filter
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RD-1460

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Threads

All the feedback given has been great and is appreciated.

OldManZ350, you're correct. I'm sure I could fit a 4" pipe through the core support there. However, the issue that comes into play is clearance by the headlight and the bumper support bracket. Clearance between the piping and bumper support bracket is pretty much non-existent now with the 3" pipe. With that being said, I'm sure I find a way to get 3.5" pipe in there, but of course, it would be nice to maintain the 4" diameter.

I do have a larger K&N filter with a 3.5" flange sitting in my room that I could use.

A rubber filter flange will secure tightly to the end of silicone coupler (45 degree)??

binder, I like you're suggestion the best. Right in front of the wheel well is where there is the most space. I'm not in front of the car at the moment, but I'll check to see if piping can be run to that area.

str8dum1, I see that that hose is flexible, is the diameter preserved as you flex the hose? I assume clamping a filter to that type of hose is a non-issue, eh?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
OldManZ350

Something like this.....Or just use a short piece of straight tubing.
Attached Thumbnails My V7 YSi Build-joiner_picture.jpg   My V7 YSi Build-joiner_instructions.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Max Streets

i cant wait to see the numbers u get.if things look bright u know many will follow including me.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM
binder

I'm not entirely sure on the space of a 350z verses my g35 but most guys I see run the piping straight out and then 90* it so the filter rests right above the crash bar instead of behind it. That would give you plenty of room. If you still need more room remove that crash bar. It's a 5mph bar and the core support is bolted down quite extensively so in general driving or light track use the difference in that extra support being there is negligible. Most high hp guys remove them to fit large intercoolers anyways. I haven't had one on for 4 years.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Threads

Update: I was finally able to drive the car last weekend. During initial street tuning, I started to get a little pedal drop. I went ahead and ordered a Wilwood master cylinder, as I suspect my stock one has finally died on me. While I wait for that to come in, I'm doing some part throttle tuning. Once that's done, I should be ready for a fresh tank of gas and moving to boost. With all that being said, I noticed that the blower was now touching the core support. I'll probably need to address that sooner rather than later.

I'm glad you guys are much smarter than I am, because I'm not sure where I'd be. I went ahead and took yall's advice regarding the blower intake. Props to str8dum1, as I ended up using the materials he referenced.

First intake was included for comparison.

Last edited by Threads; 06-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
OldManZ350

There You Go !!!!!

Now that YSi can Breathe......

Looking Good.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
binder

That looks awesome!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Threads

I installed the new clutch slave and Wilwood clutch master cylinders last night, and . With the Wilwood, it took all of 10 minutes to bleed the system, and the pedal feel is amazing. Feels good to get all that out of the way.

I'm getting a loud, hum/whine(deep) as I bring the car's rpms to/past 2500rpms. The sound appears to be coming from around the blower area. I noticed the blower resting on the core support earlier, but I'm a little unsure if that would be causing the noise I'm experiencing. I initially thought the noise could be coming from the BLV, but the noise happens under load, boost, and vacuum. The only other items that could be causing the noise are the blower itself, cog belt, cog idler, and cog pulleys. FWIW, the blower sounds normal at idle. I know it's hard for you guys to provide feedback without a video, but does anyone have any ideas on other things to look out for?

I've started to think ahead in regards to upgrading the intercooler, and I had a few questions.

How critical is it for me to upgrade to 3" piping? FWIW, I think it's going to be near impossible to get a 3" pipe behind the blower/bracket. If I did go to 3", I may be stuck with a small piece of 2.5" pipe bottlenecking the system. My short term goals for the car are to make as much power as I can on pump, and maybe in the future, introduce meth or some type of higher octane fuel. I think I know what the answer is going to be for this question, but with my goals in mind and knowing how tight everything fits now, is 3" piping a no-brainer for this setup?

Lastly, I think I've narrowed down the intercooler choices down to two:
- http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++860HP
- http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=INT

I like the fact the Garrett appears to be more efficient by size, however, it's almost double the price of the Treadstone. I feel like these intercoolers are both sufficient for my needs, and it's really going to boil down to what size piping I go with (Garrett = 2.5" end tanks | Treadstone 3".) Anyone have any strong opinions towards either? Or a different intercooler?

Last edited by Threads; 06-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
OldManZ350

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...install-84.pdf
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
OldManZ350

Personally, I'd call Treadstone and tell them what your needs are.

If you are dead set on getting the Garrett, here is a much better Price.
http://www.himni-racing.com/index.ph...roducts_id=434
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting...did it sound like this?

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Su..._0517.mp4.html

It sounds like a screeching wail, almost like a banshee for lack of a better word....

That's what it sounded like when I initially installed it, before I promptly destroyed it during my attempted tune....but it has an aftermarket impeller and new bearings now after the rebuild, and I never ran after I got it back, so I have no idea what it sounds like with all the new hardware in there...

Also, when I installed it in my car it didn't touch/rub or anything even thought it was a tight fit, but that being said I have revup kit so it mounts differently...

Originally Posted by Threads
I installed the new clutch slave and Wilwood clutch master cylinders last night, and . With the Wilwood, it took all of 10 minutes to bleed the system, and the pedal feel is amazing. Feels good to get all that out of the way.

I'm getting a loud, hum/whine(deep) as I bring the car's rpms to/past 2500rpms. The sound appears to be coming from around the blower area. I noticed the blower resting on the core support earlier, but I'm a little unsure if that would be causing the noise I'm experiencing. I initially thought the noise could be coming from the BLV, but the noise happens under load, boost, and vacuum. The only other items that could be causing the noise are the blower itself, cog belt, cog idler, and cog pulleys. FWIW, the blower sounds normal at idle. I know it's hard for you guys to provide feedback without a video, but does anyone have any ideas on other things to look out for?

I've started to think ahead in regards to upgrading the intercooler, and I had a few questions.

How critical is it for me to upgrade to 3" piping? FWIW, I think it's going to be near impossible to get a 3" pipe behind the blower/bracket. If I did go to 3", I may be stuck with a small piece of 2.5" pipe bottlenecking the system. My short term goals for the car are to make as much power as I can on pump, and maybe in the future, introduce meth or some type of higher octane fuel. I think I know what the answer is going to be for this question, but with my goals in mind and knowing how tight everything fits now, is 3" piping a no-brainer for this setup?

Lastly, I think I've narrowed down the intercooler choices down to two:
- http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rcooler++860HP
- http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=INT

I like the fact the Garrett appears to be more efficient by size, however, it's almost double the price of the Treadstone. I feel like these intercoolers are both sufficient for my needs, and it's really going to boil down to what size piping I go with (Garrett = 2.5" end tanks | Treadstone 3".) Anyone have any strong opinions towards either? Or a different intercooler?

Quick Reply: My V7 YSi Build