Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM
unvmyg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can go custom with http://www.bellintercoolers.com/_pages/coreAirCore.html
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a quick video I shot today. I'll have to get video under the hood whenever my friend comes over. The video doesn't quite get the sound fully over the exhaust, but you can hear the sound better right before I decel and during the beginning of decel.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps33127c69.mp4

Originally Posted by 350z006
Interesting...did it sound like this?

http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Su..._0517.mp4.html

It sounds like a screeching wail, almost like a banshee for lack of a better word....

That's what it sounded like when I initially installed it, before I promptly destroyed it during my attempted tune....but it has an aftermarket impeller and new bearings now after the rebuild, and I never ran after I got it back, so I have no idea what it sounds like with all the new hardware in there...

Also, when I installed it in my car it didn't touch/rub or anything even thought it was a tight fit, but that being said I have revup kit so it mounts differently...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Threads

Yesterday, upon inspection, I noticed that my jackshaft was shot. I was able to move the jackshaft (and pulleys) forwards and backwards (towards the front and rear of the car.) As well, I'm noticed some oil coming out of the BPV and onto the charge piping.

I just ordered a jackshaft assembly from Vortech. However, I'm not sure what to do yet regarding the oil issue. The YSi was rebuilt before I put it in the car, so I'd like to believe the blower is in good condition. I do not have the PCV hose hooked back into the blower intake yet, and I don't have any kinks in my drain line, so I'm a little clueless as to what is causing the issue..
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How much oil are we talking about? Is it a lot?

I have to admit even my 928 impeller rebuilt blower leaked a little bit of oil; had to send it back once after the rebuild but it still leaked, but not excessively....

Originally Posted by Threads
Yesterday, upon inspection, I noticed that my jackshaft was shot. I was able to move the jackshaft (and pulleys) forwards and backwards (towards the front and rear of the car.) As well, I'm noticed some oil coming out of the BPV and onto the charge piping.

I just ordered a jackshaft assembly from Vortech. However, I'm not sure what to do yet regarding the oil issue. The YSi was rebuilt before I put it in the car, so I'd like to believe the blower is in good condition. I do not have the PCV hose hooked back into the blower intake yet, and I don't have any kinks in my drain line, so I'm a little clueless as to what is causing the issue..
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Threads

How much oil are we talking about? Is it a lot?

I have to admit even my 928 impeller rebuilt blower leaked a little bit of oil; had to send it back once after the rebuild but it still leaked, but not excessively....
Well, it hasn't gotten to the point where it's leaking on the ground. I wouldn't say it's a lot, but it's definitely more than I'd like. I'm getting a small amount of oil collecting under the valve and the charge piping right there. As well, I can see where some of the oil has seeped onto the plastic under tray, but none has made it's way to the ground.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Threads

While I have some downtime waiting for the new jackshaft assembly to come in (Tuesday), I finished hooking up my PCV setup. Likewise, I mounted the air filter in the driver's side wheel well so I can free up some space for a larger intercooler.

Name:  photo1-2_zps366ca7d1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  photo2-2_zps1266c4ee.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  57.6 KB
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Threads

The jackshaft assembly literally fell apart as I was removing it...

Name:  photo-3_zps6882159a.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  52.3 KB

The noise in my previous video still remains, surprisingly, after putting in the new assembly. I'm starting to think it's a combination of two things:
- New setup (Bigger blower + Tougher cog belt)
- Vibrations from the blower resting on the frame.

Next step is to create some more space for the blower so that it is no longer touching the core support. If the sound is still there, I'll just have to deal with it. The blower is fresh, so I'd like to believe nothing is wrong with it. It also seems to build boost fine from what I can tell.

With all that said, the car is back on the road. I finally put some fresh 93 octane gas in the tank which should allow me to finish up with street tuning and get some good miles on this setup. Unfortunately, I still have a long laundry list of items left to do/buy before I'm dyno ready...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take pictures of your clearance issues. I would just trim the core support.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
Take pictures of your clearance issues. I would just trim the core support.
Agreed.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Threads

Bad news. I had a friend come over today, and I went to start the car for him. The car made a horrible noise when trying to turn it over. After removing the blower intake, we found oil and the impeller was hitting the casing.

I'll get pictures of the fitment and damage tomorrow when I get a chance to work on it.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Wow, Sorry to hear that.....

I'd talk with the guy that rebuilt it, see if he will work with you and fix it.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Wow, Sorry to hear that.....

I'd talk with the guy that rebuilt it, see if he will work with you and fix it.
Yeah, the previous owner is pretty stand-up, so I'm sure he'll be willing to work with me.

I think the first step is to send it back to 928M to see what actually went wrong. Best case scenario is that the blower is still under warranty with 928M.

While the circumstances suck, it's a bit of a relief to know what the cause of that noise was.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I know who you got it from and ya, stand up guy......

Before you take out the Blower make some indication on the frame with a black marker where it is hitting. My car is apart, and I was under it thinking about where it would hit the Frame.

When the blower is out, looks like to me, there is about a 1/2" tall Rib running the length of the frame. If it's just a small amount of Interference, you could just grind that part away.

Post up some pic's
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow...sorry to hear that ...

But yeah, contact 928 and see what they say about blower, and mention my name so Carl knows which blower this is...definitely not what I expected considering Carl has a YSi himself...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I bet there is some relief behind all this, hopefully it fixes all of the issues you were having with the blower. I agree with the others, if it is lightly hitting the core support, massage the core support alittle and get some clearance
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Threads

I finally got around to taking the blower off today, and I've found why the impeller is hitting the volute. It appears that one of the shims (and the pair of bolts holding it) had come loose (bolts came off completely), allowing the volute to separate from the rest of the head unit only at that spot. Coincidentally, it was on the same side where the blower was resting on the core support.

I'm not sure which events caused which, but I do remember not noticing any clearance issues when I put the blower in. Before I put the blower in, I had clocked the volute for my setup. I remember only have 2 shims (and 2 pair of bolts) that connected the volute to the head unit. IIRC, I believe my V3 had 3 shims (and 3 pairs of bolts). However, I could have needed to tighten the bolts more, and the vibrations may have eventually worked them out. It's all speculation at this point, but I'm glad to have found the problem. Hopefully, the damage isn't as bad as I initially though. It appears that the volute needs to be resurfaced, and the impeller probably needs to be re-balanced. However, I'm no expert, and I plan on sending these pictures to Carl to see if he advises me to send the blower in:

Name:  photo2_zpsd9012ca5.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  photo1_zps652b5743.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  40.4 KB

As well, I was able to get pictures of the fitment, and the spot where it was hitting. However, keep in mind that the volute is dislodged from the head unit in these pictures:

Name:  photo3_zps28b048ed.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  photo2_zpsb5040826.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  photo4_zps365f0ca6.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  photo4_zpsc5829e5c.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  51.6 KB

Note: The indent in the core support "lip" was created by me, not the blower.

Last edited by Threads; 07-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
congpert2
Banned

pretty random and pretty awesome.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn that sucks, hopefully it's not down for long.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...sorry to hear that ...

But yeah, contact 928 and see what they say about blower, and mention my name so Carl knows which blower this is...definitely not what I expected considering Carl has a YSi himself...
You can always name drop me as well... I did all the impeller testing for Carl... and married his daughter...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Quick Reply: My V7 YSi Build