Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My V7 YSi Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meanz
Damn that sucks, hopefully it's not down for long.
Originally Posted by Quamen
You can always name drop me as well... I did all the impeller testing for Carl... and married his daughter...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.
I just shipped the blower out today. Hopefully it's a simple diagnosis and repair and I won't have to name drop! lol.

I've had service done by them before. While I had a little issue in the past with what volutes fit their impeller, they always came through with exceptional work.

As well, I doubt this issue is related to the oil I'm seeing in the blower's discharge and intake. Hopefully, they can let me know what the cause of that is. If it's anything on my end, I'm wondering if running the drain line to a spacer would cause the issues I'm seeing.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 AM
xdvgx

subscribed
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Threads
I just shipped the blower out today. Hopefully it's a simple diagnosis and repair and I won't have to name drop! lol.

I've had service done by them before. While I had a little issue in the past with what volutes fit their impeller, they always came through with exceptional work.

As well, I doubt this issue is related to the oil I'm seeing in the blower's discharge and intake. Hopefully, they can let me know what the cause of that is. If it's anything on my end, I'm wondering if running the drain line to a spacer would cause the issues I'm seeing.
The amount of oil that goes through the gears in a supercharger is nothing like that of a turbo. The length of that drain is plenty long to sustain proper draining. The spray nozzle for oil is about the size of a pin hole so not much oil is going through it. It's only used for lubrication on ball bearings unlike the high amount of oil requirements for journal bearing turbos. Turbos also use it for cooling. Superchargers do not run hot enough to need oil cooling like a turbo does (400*F verses 1200*F turbo).

So no, I don't think your drain is an issue.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Threads

Finally got the blower back in the car and ! The car sounds so much better now that the volute is resurfaced and more room was made for the blower. I can finally hear the BPV doing it's job. Hearing how much air is being moved through the air filter is just amazing, and all of the vibrations I was previously hearing are gone.

Some notes back from 928M... Carl mentioned that the blower had an aftermarket impeller on it (which I knew before I purchased the blower). However, I wasn't aware that the impeller was, in Carl's opinion, worse than "stock." He told me that that impeller was much heavier than the Vortech impeller, and that I'd most likely see a performance hit because of it. Likewise, I don't believe Carl did a detailed inspection regarding my oil issue, but he let me know that if everything else checks out, it's probably the impeller shaft seal, which will have to be serviced by Vortech.

Upon putting the blower back in, I noticed that the way I routed the line initially put a kink in the line coming right off the fitting. After playing around with different options, I was able to reduce the size of the kink slightly. Because clearance is so tight in that area, I would have to get a super-short 45/60 degree drain fitting for the blower or cut the frame to allow more space for the fitting/drain line to get rid of the kink completely. After driving the car around with how I have it now, I haven't seen any oil coming out of the BPV. I'll have to continue monitoring this...

For now, I need to finish up part throttle tuning. Because the motor only has about 100 miles or so, I really just need to put some time on this setup to work out any other issues that may arise. I'm looking at oil coolers at the moment for my next purchase, because I've been reading that my "Universal" Mishimoto oil cooler is garbage.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Good to hear you got your blower back, looking forward to your dyno numbers.

You might want to read this thread, the part about Blower Oil Feed and return lines.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...led-again.html
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I hate to sorta thread jack this, but going big with a supercharger like this why arent there any prochargers around in bigger trims, it seems like the prochargers are more competitive in the V8 world
Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Good to hear you got your blower back, looking forward to your dyno numbers.

You might want to read this thread, the part about Blower Oil Feed and return lines.

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...led-again.html
Thanks for the words and the reference. I'll definitely keep a close eye on the drain situation.

Originally Posted by Classy
I hate to sorta thread jack this, but going big with a supercharger like this why arent there any prochargers around in bigger trims, it seems like the prochargers are more competitive in the V8 world
That's a good question, Classy.
I honestly would have stuck with my V3 blower with this motor, as it was probably good enough for my goals. However, I got presented with a great deal on the Y7. Likewise, someone local was in desperate need of a blower (his V2 was labeled in-operational by Vortech), so I was able to help him out and got decent money for that blower. Everything just seemed to fall into place for me to go with the V7.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Threads

Unfortunately, I'm having more issues with the blower. Late last week, I had to ship the blower off to Vortech for repair. The blower appears to have shaft play, and will for sure need a new impeller. I was eventually planning on installing a Vortech impeller, since the blower had a heavier, aftermarket, one installed. However, this issue appears to have forced my hand.

The blower should be arriving at Vortech this week, and Vortech has about a 2 week turnaround time. Hopefully, the repairs don't break the bank too much, lol.

Hopefully, this will be the last of the issues that I've been having with this blower.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck with getting this situated. Hopefully that 2 week turnaround doesn't turn out to be 6-7 like when I shipped my blower to them for my si upgrade... Then after the fed ex guy brought it to my house, they said I didn't pay for it and I had to pay them to release it to me. Called vortech and they said I didn't pay even though it came out of my account. So I had to pay again for it. I got my money back from vortech eventually, but it was a hassle. Also had some scratches on the blower in front of the impeller..they said I did that and they wouldn't do anything for me for that. Sorry for the rant, lol. Besides that, no problems, lol
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Threads

Just got the call that the blower is unsalvageable. Vortech stated that the blower was "improperly rebuilt" which allowed no parts to be reused. I'm going to see if the company who rebuilt the blower will be willing to work with me here. If not, I may have to cut this project short.

I'll try to keep you guys updated.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
350zhp306

I hope 350z006 is helping you out since he sold you the blower after he messed it up initially and then had it rebuilt.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by 350zhp306
I hope 350z006 is helping you out since he sold you the blower after he messed it up initially and then had it rebuilt.
Yeah, 350z006 is helping me out.

After getting everything sorted out, I went ahead and ordered one of the new V2 Ti trims. It was a bit cheaper than the YSi's, and appears to be big enough to meet my pump gas goals. As well, the volute is not as large, so I shouldn't have any more fitment issues. The discharge and inlet are a bit smaller, so I'll need to make adjustments there. I think I'm going to run a 32/32 cog setup, with a 3.12" pulley at first, so that I don't have to worry about over-spinning the blower.

It'll take about a week for Vortech to put it together and ship it to me. I guess I'll have to create a new thread when it comes in, lol.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
OldManZ350

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Did they give you the specs….?

Is it an H/D Race Blower?

Please don't tell me, you didn't ask them…..
Old 11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Threads

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
Did they give you the specs….?

Is it an H/D Race Blower?

Please don't tell me, you didn't ask them…..
Why would you think I didn't ask? lol

It's the same specs as the V1, but it has the helical, quieter, gears. The tech said that it was an HD case, and he didn't mention anything about a STD case.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30004

Last edited by Threads; 11-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:09 PM
the3kgt2

Originally Posted by Threads
Why would you think I didn't ask? lol

It's the same specs as the V1, but it has the helical, quieter, gears. The tech said that it was an HD case, and he didn't mention anything about a STD case.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=30004
That's a killer blower. Can't wait to see the results.