Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS HVC6 Boost Controller Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Tanahara

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HKS HVC6 Boost Controller Install Question

I want to make sure I am installing this correctly. Please forgive my paint drawings.

I have greddy's twin turbo 18g kit, which uses tial wastegate which has a lower and upper port. Currently from both lower ports vacuum lines are ran into a T then the port from the manifold (upper plenum) is rain into a T with this line and then ran into a boost guage.

The difference between the picture in the controller installation and my setup is there is no port before the throttle valve it is on the plenum.

Q: Should the lower port still be connected to the manifold (plenum) as well as a separate line from manifold to the controller be ran? Or should it be like this

Controller Manual

Last edited by Tanahara; 07-25-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: AWESOME DOODLES
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 AM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I didn't like the rubber hose and I ended up installing a vacuum manifold. The second image will work but make sure all the hoses on the t's are tight. Here's some picks of what I did for my twin turbo setup. I'm sort of a **** about reliability so I spent the money and did right so I'll never have to worry about blowing lines off.

I also left one port open on the vacuum manifold with a plug for the future fuel psi regulator.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Tanahara

TT03Z, awesome setup man very well done. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM
TT03Z

Thank you! I think I had around $250 in fittings hoses and the manifold if your thinking of doing the same sort of setup. The most expensive part of it was the five 1/16npt to 1/8npt adapters that were $15 a piece. Depending on the port size on your wastegates and bov u may be able to do it all for cheaper.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Tanahara

The top port has a bolt on it can I turn this without affecting things other than turning the nipple into a better position.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Tanahara

Originally Posted by TT03Z
Thank you! I think I had around $250 in fittings hoses and the manifold if your thinking of doing the same sort of setup. The most expensive part of it was the five 1/16npt to 1/8npt adapters that were $15 a piece. Depending on the port size on your wastegates and bov u may be able to do it all for cheaper.

I think i will look at adding this in because i still need to install my bov as well. I like the clean and sturdy factor.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
TT03Z

Originally Posted by Tanahara
The top port has a bolt on it can I turn this without affecting things other than turning the nipple into a better position.
You should be ok to turn the diaphragm housing on the wastegates if thats what you are referring to. As long as it isn't staked or keyed which most aren't.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

but used generic worm clamps feeding the block?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 PM
TT03Z

Originally Posted by Zivman
Is this a question or a statement? Yes I used fuel hose and worm clamps feeding the vacuum manifold. I used the port directly behind the throttle body to feed the vacuum manifold. Unless I were to weld the unused ports closed on the intake manifold and then drill and tap 1/8npt into the intake manifold this was the best way to do it and it works very well. Yes closing/drilling/tapping would probably look a little cleaner but I'm happy with it. If there's a better way to do it I'm open to ideas...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:00 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a closer look at the provided diagram from HKS. You should not reference wastegates after the throttle body and the way you have it plumbed in your paint diagram it will overboost.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM
Tanahara

Originally Posted by meatbag
Take a closer look at the provided diagram from HKS. You should not reference wastegates after the throttle body and the way you have it plumbed in your paint diagram it will overboost.
I have far left running straite to top ports, middle to lower ports and right to intake after throttle body. Is there issues with this setup?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 AM
meatbag

I have far left running straite to top ports, middle to lower ports and right to intake after throttle body. Is there issues with this setup?
Yes it does not follow the diagram.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
Exactly my thought. Is that RTV in the fittings too? The orange sealant?

I wouldn't use push to connect and that style hose. Sure its DOT approved for brakes and air suspension...but what about during VAC? Bend radius sucks, subject to kink.

I would have honestly went with AN hose if you wanted a really clean and reliable setup.

Originally Posted by meatbag
to add to this comment about another scenario:

The top wastegate port should be referenced after the TB. The bottom port of the poppet valve should be pre TB. The reason for this is when your TB closes, the motor pulls a vac behind the TB which will force your wastegates open since the bottom port still has boost in it until the BOV releases it.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:06 PM
TT03Z

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Exactly my thought. Is that RTV in the fittings too? The orange sealant?

I wouldn't use push to connect and that style hose. Sure its DOT approved for brakes and air suspension...but what about during VAC? Bend radius sucks, subject to kink.

I would have honestly went with AN hose if you wanted a really clean and reliable setup.

The top wastegate port should be referenced after the TB. The bottom port of the poppet valve should be pre TB. The reason for this is when your TB closes, the motor pulls a vac behind the TB which will force your wastegates open since the bottom port still has boost in it until the BOV releases it.
I've seen the exact same setup on TT drag cars with the same style hose and push lock fittings. I got the idea from a friend who runs a twin 80mm turbos on a built ls motor in a fox body drag car making 1500+ HP. He also has never had an issues with any of it. And no it's not RTV sealing the threads. It's lock tight 545 thread sealant the best thread sealant on the market in my opinion.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Tanahara

Sorry I must be brain dead today but when you say referenced, do you mean another port installed and ran before tb for bottom port, and top port also connected to the manifold after tb?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Sorry I must be brain dead today but when you say referenced, do you mean another port installed and ran before tb for bottom port, and top port also connected to the manifold after tb?
yes. here is my setup:

Pre-TB port/ref feeds:
Lower side of Poppet valve

Post TB port/ref feeds:
Map sensor on AEM Gauge/haltech
Boost controller feed for Upper port of Poppet Valve
FPR
BOV
Old 07-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Tanahara

yes. here is my setup:

Pre-TB port/ref feeds:
Lower side of Poppet valve

Post TB port/ref feeds:
Map sensor on AEM Gauge/haltech
Boost controller feed for Upper port of Poppet Valve
FPR
BOV
The hks has one connection for manifold, and one for the top port wastegate you have both of these connected along with boost sensor and bov.

Back to my horrible paint lol

Is this the way you have yours ? Im not having an overboosting problem that i can see but actually cant quite get to 10psi (I do have stock exhaust atm ik ik lol next project in about 2 weeks to replace it)
Old 07-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

I use a 3 port mac valve.
3 ports are routed as follows:
Reference post TB
Air/Vent
To the wastegates, top port of the poppet valve

The plumbing is such that if the MAC valve is not actuated, i hit wastegate spring boost

Your drawing looks a bit messed up.
The post TB ref should go to the boost controller and through it back to the wastegates. There should not be that T
The pre-TB ref should just go to the wastegates and not even touch the boost controller

*that is general boost solenoid plumbing...maybe HKS gets a bit weird. Which it looks like it does. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:18 PM
meatbag

Yall are making this way harder then it really is. The HKS diagram is the best way to plumb it and it is all laid out in a picture. The only thing you have to add is two more tee's to split the hoses for top and bottom to both wastegate.