Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F/I 5ATs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:55 AM
dlt1cy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/I 5ATs?

Besides Max, who has F/I 5AT. I hear about all the issues various people have, but what about the 5ATs? Is it more/less difficult than the 6MTs? Are certain F/I's not compatible with the 5ATs and if not, what is needed for them to be compatible?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 AM
g356gear

Default Re: F/I 5ATs?

Originally posted by dlt1cy
Besides Max, who has F/I 5AT. I hear about all the issues various people have, but what about the 5ATs? Is it more/less difficult than the 6MTs? Are certain F/I's not compatible with the 5ATs and if not, what is needed for them to be compatible?
I have heard the Greddy TT kit does not fit on the automatic because of the transmission housing differences. I think Vortech,Stillen and ATI are O.K. with the 5A/T's
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 AM
BlownG

I have the ATI kit on my G35 5AT. The main problem you will experience with forced induction and the 5AT, is when in auto mode the transmission will not shift during WOT until it hits the rev limiter (very bad). My problem was not that this happens but that I wasn't informed prior to the purchase even though they (ATI) were aware of the problem. Vortech’s web site has their kit listed for the 6MT only (“…currently this system has only been released for cars with manual transmissions.”). I emailed them to inquire when their kit would be available for the 5AT and below was their response to my question.

Question:

When will your kit be available for the 5AT? What is the difference between 6MT and 5AT?

Response:

The system will work on the automatics, however there is a problem in "auto" mode. The car will not shift at wide open throttle. It will hit the rev limiter and then shift. Not good. The system works fine when you use the "manual" mode.

Steve Padfield
Vortech Engineering, LLC

If I had this information from ATI before I purchased my car (with the kit installed) I would have either bought a MT or a different car all together. Some are happy with this compromise and others are not, I'm not happy with it at all. I applaud Vortech for their frankness when it comes to this problem. I will say though that the tech support I have received thus far from ATI has been nothing but first class. I just wish I hadn't poured 6K into this kit on a 5AT. I would suggest you do a number of WOT throttle runs shifting manually and see if your comfortable with it (at your own risk of course). The most awkward transition is while you’re already on the move; you can't just floor it and forget it. Moving to manual mode while on the move is clumsy at best. Also remember with FI your revs come a lot faster too. There are a few people that say they don’t have this problem. Of those I’ve heard from, they all have their rev limits raised from the TS flash, I suspect that’s why but I do not have a definitive answer on this. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
z33boi

ive seen some auto Z's with the greddy kit..wonder how they got theirs to work...
Old 02-16-2004, 12:43 PM
cwhit_5

i should have my car (5AT) back either tomorrow or wednesday with the greddy kit. ill let you know how well it runs in auto as well as +/- mode. waiting on gauges installed and the tuning.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
350zer

Default auto and sc

Originally posted by cwhit_5
i should have my car (5AT) back either tomorrow or wednesday with the greddy kit. ill let you know how well it runs in auto as well as +/- mode. waiting on gauges installed and the t
uning.

I have an auto with a vortech on it. It drives fine in manual mode an does hit the rev limiter in auto mode. Within the next month should have a valve body mod to fix the problem and make it shift firmer and faster.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:12 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: F/I 5ATs?

Originally posted by dlt1cy
Some one correct me if Im wrong.....At WOT ..[with out F/I ] The AT5 shifts right before red line .With a SC on....Rpm's are gaining so fast that the tranny does not shift fast enough before hitting the rev limiter. Would the Technosqaure reflash fix this ? With the red line raised to 7,100 rpm would it give the tranny time to shift ? I did ask Max how he solved the problem...and all he said was he reflashed the ECU....he didnt say exactly what was done
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 AM
dlt1cy

cwhit_5, so the Greddy fits ok on a 5AT or was there extra fab work that was needed? I would guess that the rev limiter issue would be effected with all systems. 350zer, has anyone else done the valve body? I am just wondering if this will fix the issue or not. I think the 7100 flash does fix the issue, but I am looking for all resolutions.

Thanks for all your help!

D
Old 02-17-2004, 10:17 AM
cwhit_5

install went well w/out any cutting or shaving down of anything...now if i could only get the gauges installed.................................
Old 02-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Sins4u33

yeah the only thing u have to worry about it driving in manual mode all the time....but i do it anywayz so its all good....

Ben
Old 02-18-2004, 03:50 PM
1G'

Originally posted by cwhit_5
install went well w/out any cutting or shaving down of anything...now if i could only get the gauges installed.................................
so what was done to make the kit fit???? can you post pic's?