Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo discussion FP black VS Greddy 20g

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
TT03Z

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
I've not posted this in my build thread, but my graph looked like yours up top when I added a muffler; torque fell off in high rpms. Put on exhaust cut outs, and flattened out the torque curve up top. This is with a modified G37 muffler and 4 cats on there, 100 cell and 200 cell in series! See attached.
This does look very similar to my graph... Hmm. I honestly don't drive the car much so maybe I'll just cheap out and put some turn downs on the muffler flange pipes haha.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by TT03Z
Once again it's just one more thing to go wrong. I have a nitrous setup on the car but haven't used it yet. I was going to spray a 35hp dry shot to bring iats down but the tuner wasn't comfortable with it so I have yet to even fill the bottle. But I'd rather just switch the car over to E85 and not have to deal with water/meth.
Obviously your rig, so do what you think is best ... whats the harm in tuning on 93, running a 93/110 mix and running water/meth when youre pushing the car? If the water meth craps out it wont matter bc the car was tuned without it?

the entire car is one thing that can go wrong when you think about it...

I thought long and hard between swapping over to E85 and I just couldnt just the cost/trouble for the benefit.

I've always wonder this - (so the e85 guys please chime in)...if you need approximately 30% more e85 to make the same power as gasoline, do you need 30% more airflow as well? I think the answer is no based on the stoich value of e85?

Are you running the greddy intake-to-turbo pipes? and the greddy filters??

Last edited by bealljk; 03-26-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:37 PM
TT03Z

Yes I'm running the Greddy intake pipes and just replaced the filters but id like to build a new setup that will pull cooler air. E85 requires about 37% more fuel. But with a boosted car I could gain 100whp just from the fuel and timing alone without touching boost. E85 doesn't knock so u have to mess with timing on a Dyno or watch mph on a track closely or the motor will scatter haha. My car gained 50whp on a mustang dyno with 1° of timing added on the pump93/110 mix with 0 knock I could throw more timing at it with a better fuel like E85 and a new set of injectors probably go with a Id2000. The fuel is prevalent in NE cause we produce most of it haha. It's on almost every corner here and most of it is good quality. I'm not messing with water/meth. I've heard to many horror stories And what's the point of using it if it's not needed with the tune?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Yes I'm running the Greddy intake pipes and just replaced the filters but id like to build a new setup that will pull cooler air.
where I'm going with this is it may be placebo effect but I think my turbos spool up quick and flow better since going to a consistent 3" fiter to turbo pipe...

I don't know how you do this with an AC compressor, full sized alternator, power steering pump, and hard coolant line ... but if your intake necks down to ~2" to clear those aforementioned items you're intake flow will suffer ... there's only so much air you can flow through a 2" opening...

imagine if your passenger side (or driver side) bank was a 2" exhaust - what would your power be limited to? air in = air out

But with a boosted car I could gain 100whp just from the fuel and timing alone without touching boost.
According to FP you should be able to gain that 100hp on gas. Youre leaving 150 to 200hp on the table compared to what others have done with similar setups.

If it was me (and it was a 6 months ago) I'd look at opening up your intake, getting IA from a cooler source, and opening up your exhaust. No point in free-flowing your exhaust if your intakes are a choke point. No point in opening up your intake if your exhaust is a choke point.

E85 doesn't knock
E85 'can' knock - it's not completely unsusceptible to pre-detonation but I think I heard its similar to a 105 octane??

I think there's 3 stations that carry e85 around me!

And what's the point of using it if it's not needed with the tune?
On my car it's one more safeguard to any inconsistencies of the fuel or intake air temp that I didn't or couldn't foresee ... I'm on the WMI train but I respect that it's not for you ...

keep us updated - would love to see how this plays out

Last edited by bealljk; 03-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 AM
TT03Z

Do you have any pictures of your intake pipe setup? I may have to copy this haha. I dont think the intake manifold is the restriction at this point. But once again only one way to find out... I ported everything I could on that and have a larger upper plenum. I removed the A/C compressor with the last go around of upgrades so the drivers side has plenty of room however the dreaded passenger side is just packed full of #hit haha. I am definately going to do something with the exhaust and see if it picks up mph at the track. I probably wont do a whole lot more dyno time as it is kinda expensive just to see numbers. I can pay $20 at the track get as many passes as i want and monitor my trap speed. i just sold my BMW so the drag suspension is getting ordered today haha.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:49 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

page 7, 8, & 9
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-build-7.html

pepper'd through there...will be a challenge if you have the PS Pump/Alt/heater pipe...I think you can put a smaller pulley on the PS pump to free up some room ... maybe a flexible hose, maybe a deformed pipe section to pass through not sure without major triage...

All things considered, my personal opinion after all this discussion is that you're having issues getting air in and exhaust out.

prob not the OEM manifold...

Id do what RC said and take your muffler and/or mid pipes off and just see how it runs ... if you have noticeable / numeric gains you'll know you're pointed in the right direction and you've spent zero dollars...a revised exhaust and intake setup to gain/optimize your blowers would be a very inexpensive way to pickup 150hp...

After seeing my greddy intake pipes (filter to turbo) compared to the 3" it's night and day...

Last edited by bealljk; 03-27-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 AM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

So about your boost drop off. I currently have the same problem and decided to get this boost controller.
http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...eet-40psi.html

I still have to dyno to verify it's doing what I need but so far, I'm holding more boost at higher engine speeds with the controller's boost compensation feature.

Used to peak at 8ish and taper off to 3. Before I tuned it, it actually tapered off to 1psi! Backpressure is forcing my gates open most likely so I'm close to the limit of flow. If the controller doesn't fix it completely, I'm going to go with a larger A/R turbine housing.