Cracked APS TT Turbo Manifold - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cracked APS TT Turbo Manifold

Old 11-08-2018, 07:46 AM
TVB1996

Default Cracked APS TT Turbo Manifold

I have a 2003 350Z with the APS TT kit on it.
Unfortunately I have recently discovered the Passenger side Exhaust manifold that goes between the head and the turbo has developed a crack!
After contacting several shops in AU and discovering even over there the kit is discontinued and no one can get a hold of a manifold I am left with 2 options, Find another one that fits or Weld it.

It seems that Welding it would take about 700F Pre Heat, Nickle filler Rod, slow cool down and then a 1100F Heat treat after wards to keep it from cracking again.
Does anyone know some one with experience and good results welding Cast Iron Exhaust manifolds in the Houston area? Really any area would work I can just ship it.

Does anyone know of another manifold that happens to have the turbo placement in the same place and uses an internal gated turbo like the APS kit? (Long shot I know but for some reason I remember something about people swapping out their GTM cracked manifolds with JWT ones)

MAYBE some one has a good used one laying around that they are willing to sell :-)

Thanks for reading!!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:28 PM
iideadeyeii

Can you reach the crack with your hand? If so clean up the crack. Apply this

Might not be the best option, but its' the cheapest/easiest. I've "fixed" a couple cast iron manifold cracks with this and it held up. You might want to make a custom metal brace going from the bottom of the manifold or turbo outlet and bolt it to the engine somewhere so it doesn't happen again.

This is what I WOULD DO, but I'm cheap and like cheap/easy fixes as long as they do not jeopardize safety
Old 11-08-2018, 12:36 PM
TVB1996

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not in a rush since this is not my only car so I think Im going to wait for a more solid solution.

It would probably work for a short time to get you by though.