Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Aarrgghh's custom haltech gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 AM
aarrgghh

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't want to step on the forum rules, so if you're interested in pricing, shoot me a PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:13 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Send me a pm, id like pricing for all of it as well
Old 05-09-2019, 03:10 PM
aarrgghh

PM sent.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:27 PM
aarrgghh

Been really busy with other stuff lately, but quick update:

Power shutdown boards arrived. I've hooked one up and tested, all good. It's the red circuit board in the pic below:

Basically that pic also shows all of the hardware other than cabling. Yellow box on top is the 12 to 5 volt converter. It's a 5 amp one, so has more than enough for the Pi and a 5V screen if needed. Below that is the Pi B 3+ with the software on an SD card. Then to the left is the can to usb board in black, and the smart relay in red.

I've been working on a physical layout to cram this all in a small case in FreeCAD. To that end bought a new toy:

We have one at the office. Been a great tool so bought one myself. Out of the box, ready to go in 15 minutes, prints PLA, ABS, nylon, and PETG. Hasn't missed a beat. Need to clean the warning sticker glue off the front door though (it's on my list).

Case parts hot of the 3d printer.

Had to make some tweaks to connector clearances, but that was expected. The above is the second print with all the parts inside (but not wired up yet).

Case is just less than 4x4x1.25 in. The grey is PLA, but I plan on using ABS as it's a little stronger and I'll print at the top settings. For prototyping the PLA is cheaper and I printed on standard settings for speed.

Expect PM's with pricing all parts in the next few days.
The following users liked this post:
rcdawgs (06-04-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM
aarrgghh

Sent updated pricing info out. If you didn't get a PM and you're interested, shoot me a PM. Thanks all!
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM
bar1ow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pricing info

PMd

Last edited by bar1ow; 06-19-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:25 PM
aarrgghh

First install on an Uprev'd tuned TT 350Z. Using a input switcher to tap into the factory nav screen.

Not many signals from the stock ECU. To add the boost gauge he wanted I created a 8 channel analog input add on to my GaugeFX system. Built into the small case is a surface mount 3 bar MAP sensor we tee'd into the boost controller vacuum/boost line.

The smaller number in the lower right is the last positive boost peak, also added feature. I use the peak hold mode which holds the peak value whenever the throttle is over 75% for around 8 seconds. But he wanted the last positive peak to be shown indefinitely on another place.

Video from his car:
The following 3 users liked this post by aarrgghh:
bealljk (10-16-2019), Mbouch561 (10-18-2019), rcdawgs (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:03 PM
rcdawgs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great stuff! Count me in if/when you sell this package.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:57 PM
retrac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if you've gone any further with this, or have a Github/Instructable if you don't want to offer it commercially? I've got a Haltech Platinum Pro in another platform and would love to get CAN data onto a screen. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 10:48 AM
aarrgghh

Check out "gaugefx dot tech" (hopefully that's ok with the forum rules). Which platform are you on?

I've done some work on the software as well. Some new features for auto reseting the CAN interface if there's no incoming data, it now automatically detects a USB stick and checks and auto applies a software update, or copies all the data logs into a directory.

There's a single din with tilting 10" touch screen version I made up for a Z32:

He's going to install a single din head unit underneath. He's 800+ hp on E85 with Haltech. It's not up on the site yet, might stay as a one off.

I've used the analog adapter I made for the uprev TT 350Z for adding two additional temp sensors spliced into the rad hoses so I can get data on how my cooling is working on track days. Turned out my fans where fighting the thermostat and keeping it closed by turning on too soon before the stat was fully opened. Switched to a slightly lower stat, adjusted my levels and now I can maintain <110C for 20 minutes on the track. Now my oil temp is higher than the coolant like my GTR, so I'll be adding fans to the twin oil coolers.

And I needed a way to see the telemetry, so I built a logfile viewer:

You can graph as many parameters as you want, separate or overlaid. The export dumps to a CSV file if you want play with excel, etc. There's two time selectors (second hidden until you drag it out) so you can measure exact values and times/time differences. I have to update the site with this stuff two. Probably record a quick video of it.

I haven't enabled the shopify part due to needing a US bank account to do this in USD (I'm in Canada). Then COVID hit so honestly it's been on the back burner. But shoot me PM.

Some unrelated updates since I'm now posting.

Got a weird fluttering metallic sound under boost. Finally tracked to an exhaust leak between the manifold and the turbo after spending a lot of time looking into the recircs and wastegate plumbing. One of the studs had backed out a little, another was completely missing:

Installed some used recaro's from JDM integra type R's after steam cleaning. Using planted low profile brackets and sliders. Finally don't have to crane my neck to use a helmet:

And speaking of track days, last one for year and this happened to a buddy's G35 (NA):

We've pulled the dead engine out and are prepping a replacement to go in. We're doing all the timing gear and upgrading the oil pump, so more RTV on timing covers, joy.

And bought another toy that I've been playing with:

The following users liked this post:
bealljk (11-22-2020)