Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS supercharger build

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 05:46 AM
MoneyMatt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey y’all, I’m interested in running the HKS v2 kit as well. Other than the kit itself and fuel parts, I have a clutch kit and some test pipes on my list of things to get. Would headers be worth it or would it be unnecessary? I have a stock 06 MT revup that has a cat back exhaust. I plan on running the 110 pulley and the restrictor plate to keep it safe. Thanks guys
Old 08-24-2023, 09:15 AM
DarkZ03

Received 493 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm not sure the kit works with revup engines, have you checked compatibility?
Old 08-24-2023, 11:27 AM
MoneyMatt

As long as its a DE it works, it just doesn’t work with HR engines.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:32 PM
Timboj

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyMatt
Hey y’all, I’m interested in running the HKS v2 kit as well. Other than the kit itself and fuel parts, I have a clutch kit and some test pipes on my list of things to get. Would headers be worth it or would it be unnecessary? I have a stock 06 MT revup that has a cat back exhaust. I plan on running the 110 pulley and the restrictor plate to keep it safe. Thanks guys
I maxed out at 350 HP with the 100mm and restrictor, so you're probably looking at 320-330? My guess is at that power level you'd be fine with the stock exhaust manifolds. HFCs will likely net more gains and much easier to swap out.

Good luck with the install!
Old 08-25-2023, 02:09 PM
DarkZ03

Originally Posted by MoneyMatt
As long as its a DE it works, it just doesn’t work with HR engines.
the front covers aren't the same, and I have yet to see on installed on a Revup.
I'd double check with Z1 or CZP before purchase.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Timboj

I would've said the same thing but this literally popped up on FB yesterday.

Possibly modified but definitely a Revup.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:46 PM
DarkZ03

Interesting.
The following users liked this post:
Timboj (08-25-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 05:01 AM
MoneyMatt

I emailed HKS support on Friday but its the weekend so I haven’t expected any reply yet, I’ll certainly contact czp as well. Thanks for all the info peeps.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:20 PM
Pazich

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is installed on a RevUp. The supercharger bracket even has a space where the exhaust VTC wire harness plug fits through it. Exhaust VTC being unique to revups.
Timboj (09-16-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 05:49 AM
MoneyMatt

Originally Posted by Pazich
Mine is installed on a RevUp. The supercharger bracket even has a space where the exhaust VTC wire harness plug fits through it. Exhaust VTC being unique to revups.
Thanks for that, CZP got back to me yesterday and said the same.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:05 AM
Timboj

Been pretty quiet here but mostly down to other priorities. I've been working on a few things that are finally coming to fruition.

This one isn't finished but I'm pretty happy with the prototype. Excuse the filthy car.

It came about because in a spirited drive through some rainforest twisties where I was stuck behind traffic but looking for an opportunity to pass, so keeping the revs up but not getting a lot of air flow. Oil temps got up to 109C before I got away. Anyway, this should solve the problem. Still toying with whether to paint it matte black or go K0Y. I'm leaning into the latter.

The other thing is I've decided to remove the restrictor on the SC. I figured there's been enough examples of stock DEs pushing 400-500hp without blowing up, I'll give it a crack. Restrictor is now out and I'm booked in for the tune this Friday...
Old 10-21-2023, 05:05 PM
DarkZ03

Interesting, good luck on the tune!
Timboj (10-23-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 05:47 PM
Timboj

No bent rods! We landed on 450whp @12psi. That said, I strongly suspect this dyno reads low and that we're actually closer to 500, What stopped us from going any higher at the time (and probably not a bad thing at that power) is that we pressurised the coolant system and blew coolant out the overflow so unless there's another plausible scenario, seems like it lifted the head/s. We backed it off a couple of degrees across the map and called it a day.

My prep for the tune was to turn the fuel pressure up to 400kpa (58psi) and adjust the ECU config accordingly (I took some fuel out of the map here and there too). Tuner barely needed to touch the fuel map so it was all the the timing.

We started in 4th gear runs until he realised the last tune was done in 5th so moved over for the last 4-5 runs. Funny thing is there was almost no difference in power up to around 5000 (on the readout below about 155kph) and then it took off beyond adding 45kw (60hp) to the top end. I guess that means the restrictor (at least the size I was using) was redundant up to that point. What it also means, sadly, is that this was mostly an academic exercise as I won't be spending a great deal of time beyond 5000rpm...

Annoyingly he mentioned at the end that he hadn't recalibrated the settings to store the data against rpm (or something along those lines) so said a readout with rpm would've been incorrect... Once again, if I hear about a cheap dyno day I'll go somewhere else and see what it comes out at.

I've taken it out for a few rips since and it's been well behaved with no coolant blown.
Old 10-31-2023, 12:41 PM
VQplatform

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely savage. Beautiful build. Your build is what has inspired me with the vision for my 350z. Looking to get a lot of other things sorted out on this 20yr old car before touching boost. Hopefully within the next 5 years I will be at the boost stage. Thinking about starting a thread or social media at some point soon as well.
Timboj (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 03:18 PM
DarkZ03

Nice! Hope it didn't hurt the engine. So there is no difference in driving feel below 5000 RPMs?
Old 11-01-2023, 04:17 PM
Timboj

I actually feel like there is but just can't quantify it. Not a lot mind you, but it already felt a touch more responsive after I took out the restrictor.

Hopefully it holds up until I can build the new one 🤞
Old 11-03-2023, 10:32 PM
Desert-Spec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, unreal! I appreciate you going full-send and seeing what the kit is capable of knowing the risk.

What makes you think it's closer to 500whp? Seat of the pants/head potentially lifting? Or you don't trust the dyno?

Got to love the fact that this little blower, which you could fool the average person into thinking is an A/C compressor, can yield 450whp! Especially considering the probably 2.5k USD (~4k AUD) price difference to the Z1 kit coming Q1 2024.

Given the 100m pulley unrestricted gets you to 12psi. What are your plans to push it further with a built engine? Do you think the 100mm pulley in reality can get to 15psi?

Old 11-04-2023, 03:48 AM
Timboj

It's all for science!

Re the power, between the heads lifting and I suspect the tuner doesn't care much for calibration, I think it's closer to 500. Not that it matters, I'm very happy with 450whp if it's genuine.

Yeah I'll be watching the Z1 kit closely. I've got high expectations for a genuine Rotrex unit.

Based on what I've seen now, I'd be surprised if it's possible to 15psi with the 100mm pulley. So, the plan is to install a 95mm pulley when I build as see what that nets. The 'danger' is that at 6800rpm the supercharger will spin up to around 103k rpm, which is above it's maximum 100k limit. I don't expect to be at that ceiling often and the unit will be out of warranty anyway, so I'm happy to take the risk.

The built engine will be way overbuilt for what the 8555 is capable of, but just means it will be ready for anything else I might throw at it down the track.
Desert-Spec (11-04-2023)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:13 PM
Timboj

Little update as I've just been ticking a few things off here and there..

Took the Z to the track in Dec. It was 37C (99F) on track and high humidity. I could only get a couple of hot laps in before I was hitting 110C coolant and 120C oil. On top of that I hit the dreaded fuel surge at WOT on several laps... Pretty scary when you're high temps, WOT at 6800rpm... The only fix was to run a full tank. Needless to say I wasn't breaking any records. BUT heat and surge issues aside, I drove it 2.5 hours there and back. No dramas and she's still going strong.

I've added a second bumper duct to even them out, with a slightly revised design (covered in bugs from the trip to the track and back):

Finally got around to installing some sound deadening in the boot. I've been wanting to do this for ages. Happy to say it worked too. Dulled some high pitched tones and sound in general.

What else...
  • Installed a 75mm throttle body. Doesn't really make a difference but I suspected mine was playing up
  • Installed a diff brace. Noticeable difference but comes with NVH
What's coming up?

I've been running E85 without a proper filter so I'm finally fixing that. Charles (CJM) hooked me up with an S1 Fuel Return filter upgrade kit (and hardline replacement) so I'll install that when I stop procrastinating:

I've also ordered a set of KW V3 Clubsport 2-ways. This will be a game changer for the car's handling and not many people in Aus are running them. A mate of mine ordered a set for his 380RS at the same time.

I also bought said mate's HR hood, which I'll be pairing with this set of vents from Trackspec to keep those track day temps down:

The other visual upgrades are the genuine Nismo V2 bumper (with canards) I got my hands on plus a Top Secret diffuser (good rep).

I'm just waiting on the new bolts before I rebuild a set of 370Z axles and throw them in with new bearings as well.

And lastly an update on the build. I'm waiting on CZP to get a few parts together before I finally have everything for the build. The specs I've settled on are:
  • Wiseco 12:1 pistons
  • Manley H-beam rods
  • JWT C2/C8 cams (already using them. I'll transfer over)
  • Dynosty HR gaskets
  • Dynosty girdle
  • Boundary oil pump gears
  • Fluidampr pulley
  • Southbend OCE SS clutch
  • PPE long tube headers
  • ARP everything bolts except Juke bolts for the heads
  • And most likely I will be adding a full EGT setup to the headers
I'm also going to move to a 95mm pulley for the 8555 blower. This puts me at a max 112k rpm @ 6800rpm which is 12k over the max rpm. I figured I'm out of warranty anyway so YOLO.. It's not like I'll be spending a lot of time up there. Also I'll be installing a larger oil cooler for it to keep temps down.

Once the pistons arrive, the block and rotating assembly are off for machining and balancing.

Last edited by Timboj; 01-18-2024 at 05:23 PM.
VQplatform (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 06:24 PM
DarkZ03

12:1? That's bold, why aren't you converting to head studs?

Quick Reply: HKS supercharger build