Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DREAMWORKES SC Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004 | 11:29 AM
TheFuture

Default DREAMWORKES SC Update

Got this from G35driver.com

malx (Zoolander)
03/05/04 06:39 AM

http://g35driver.com/forums/attatchm...mag%20copy.gif

There it is by popular demand^^ The well awaited DreamWorkes SuperCharger kit!

I met with Goran from DreamWorkes yesterday and here is what he had to say. Most of your answers will be answered here. Please excuse spelling. I was taking notes as he was talking so my info can be a little weird and my terms can be wrong as well. If it is PLEASE don’t complain!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avino (malx) of G35driver.com: Goran, I understand there is much hype and concern for this kit, give me a brief description of it and its options.

Goran of DreamWorkes: Well Joey, for one, the stage one kit is almost finished for the g35 and will be released the end of March we hope. As of now, the first 150 kits are already sold and we will be releasing 50 of them 2 months from then.

Joey: Goran, I understand you guys have three different kits, please explain them.

Goran: Well… Stage one is coming out soon. Stage one will is good for anywhere in between 400-410 horsepower on a stock coupe running our preset 6PSI. It comes with a piggyback ECU, fuel injectors, upgraded fuel rails, and other valves and such. The stage one retails for about 6,200 dollars and stage two will be retailing about 500-700 dollars more. Stage two is basically the same thing as stage one except there is a different piggy back ECU. This will up the boost to about 9PSI. adding about 60-70 horsepower. Again no internal modifications are needed at all and upgrading from stage one to stage two can be done no problem. Stage three you need engine modifications. This is good for about 600 horsepower and it runs about 14PSI. The pistons need to be upgraded (lowering the compression to 8.5:1) as well as the rods and other things in the engine. All kits include dual water-cooled intercoolers. Water cooling is more efficient because water has an extremely high heat capacity which means that it takes longer for it to heat up than air hence making better cooling than air.

Joey: Thanks, for those of us who don’t know, what does the piggyback ECU actually do?

Goran: Well I’m glad you asked, it’s very interesting. Just to brief, Nissan would rather us not replace or flash their ECU because of warranty issues which I’m sure you will ask about later. The piggyback ECU goes on your stock ECU with everything preprogrammed. The stage 1, 2, and 3, have different piggybacks which make the difference in the PSI and you can upgrade between kits for a fee.

Joey: What about the warranty?

Goran: Well we work with an outside company that honors your powertrain warranty. Basically it works like this. If something breaks and the kit was installed by one of our authorized dealership the damage is paid for. There is a 200 dollar deductible and you are insured up to 10,000 dollars. If something breaks basically, you’re covered but you have to pay the first two hundred dollars. The warranty can or cannot be purchased when you purchase the kit. It is an extra 800 dollars but it is defiantly recommended if you don’t plan on making your own modifications. It is also a one time fee. You are insured up to 48,000 miles. This replaces your stock waranty. If you have miles on your car there is a math equation we use to figure out and let you know at what mileage your waranty will expire. For example, if you have 10,000 miles on your car you may be insured up to 55,000 miles depending. It does not expire when your car reaches 48,000 miles because if people had 35,000 miles before they got the supercharger it would be unfair to them for their warantay to expire at 48,000 miles.

Joey: Describe what is included when you say powertrain?

Goran: Well there is a lot of controversy about this Joey. As powertrain we mean anything that creates power. That includes the engine and transmission in the warranty. People say otherwise but do not listen to them, you engine IS INCLUDED!

Joey: Please elaborate on authorized dealerships. What do you mean?

Goran: As we know the new Nissan vehicles are the hardest to tune and modify. Who knows our cars better then Nissan? No one! They made our cars! We are working more on this but currently we have confirmed dealerships (one being right here in New York) that will install your supercharger for their rate. If installed by them, your warranty valid if you don’t up the boost or change anything about the kit?

Joey: On these kits you can up the boost?

Goran: Well you would always be able to change the pulleys and anyone with experience can manipulate the kit. The problem is that everything, even the tuning, will be thrown off. The main way to up the boost is to buy a kit upgrade, IE, if you have stage one, buy the stage two upgrade. If you throw a new pulley or something else you could break something, also, you car would not be in its warranty anymore.

Joey: So your piggyback ECU will upgrade the PSI safely?

Goran: Yes Joey.

Joey: Back on the ECU, what about tuning and its relation to your ECU?

Goran: Well, because we are able to piggyback the stock ECU safely, once the kit is installed no necessary tuning is needed at all. That is the one problem with forced induction on these cars today is tuning. As you know companies have rushed their product and some fuel ratios are inconsistent throughout the RPM bad. Our piggyback ECU, Fuel rails and injectors fix this problem with no tuning needed.

Joey: So once the kit is installed by Nissan we can drive it out of the service department with no tuning at all?

Goran: Yes. This is good because you won’t have to worry about some tuner messing up your car. The Piggyback ECU is pre-tuned perfectly I assure you.

Joey: Now what about Gas mileage? Superchargers, running off of the existing pulleys use a lot more fuel. What are the numbers with your kit?

Goran: Well we have a power bypass system included in the kit. Here is how it works. When your car is at idle speed or under 1800RPM, the bypass kits in. The only power needed by the supercharger is to turn the supercharger turbine but does not generate power. Once 1800RPM kicks in, the power is used. When you’re highway driving and not flooring the car, it also kicks in to save gas. When you need the power, the supercharger utilizes all of it and will use some extra fuel. In total, with normal driving you will lose maybe 1-2 MPG if that, sometimes none at all.

Joey: What about the ease of home install?

Goran: Home installing the kit will void the warranty.

Joey: Can you just briefly explain the different between this kit and the others?

Goran: Well Joey, I’m glad you asked. The kit uses a root type system. We studied the Jaguar XJR to build this kit. The kit replaces the top piece of the engine and no hood or body modification is needed. The top piece of the engine needs to be removed and replaced with our kit. Other then that, it is purely connecting the parts. It is very difficult to remove the top piece of the engine, you need to know what you are doing and we do not recommend attempting the install at home unless you are very experienced with these vehicles.

Joey: Anything else you think we at G35driver should know?

Goran: Yes, payment methods. DreamWorkes is currently working with a credit card company (hopefully be done by May) where you can get a credit card such as a Visa and MasterCard and you can finance our kit through this company. With good credit, you can have a payment plan with interest as little as 8 percent for, not just our superchargers, but any number of our products. If you do not have the money to burn right away.

Joey: Well thanks Goran, I’m sure that everyone will love to hear all of the information.

Goran: Thank you Joey for your concern, I will keep in touch with you and hope to see you at our event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there you have it. I was invited to watch their race teams opening race the end of March to view their 600HP 350Z with their stage 3 supercharger and it and watch it race. I will report from there. If any further info is discovered I will inform you all immediately. I already ordered my kit guys for June!

If someone has a question for DreamWorkes. PM me the question and I will call Goran on his cell phone and post his answer! x2!
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:10 PM
spazpilot

Didn't read the whole thing but sounds like major BS if you ask me. Link don't work and I have still to see even the stage one kit on any car. WATCH IT RACE!!! YA RIGHT!! I really don't want to talk to anyone. I am pretty sure everyone would just like to see this thing on a car. If they already have one on a G35 why can't they show the one on there stupid blue 350z. Is it that top secret. Whats the saying "believe half of what you see and none of what you here"
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:11 PM
spazpilot

double post sorry
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:11 PM
rgreene

I'd like to know what dealerships in So Cal are going to be installers
Old 03-15-2004 | 10:12 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally posted by rgreene
I'd like to know what dealerships in So Cal are going to be installers
I've been reading about a Sentra Spec V kid whos on about 30 strings, and it looks like they're pullin em all. It's sad to see that he has no visual or confirmed proof of a turbo kit he ordered that mysteriously keeps being delayed... and delayed... and... delayed
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:24 AM
joust75

Originally posted by spazpilot
Didn't read the whole thing but sounds like major BS if you ask me. Link don't work and I have still to see even the stage one kit on any car. WATCH IT RACE!!! YA RIGHT!! I really don't want to talk to anyone. I am pretty sure everyone would just like to see this thing on a car. If they already have one on a G35 why can't they show the one on there stupid blue 350z. Is it that top secret. Whats the saying "believe half of what you see and none of what you here"
Whats with all of you people jumping on the bandwagon to burn these guys? Why dont you relax and wait to see what happens when the thing actually comes out? When it does, you and all those other naysayers are going to look like fools when this turns out to be a very potent product.
It doesent do them any good to lie or bs anyone. Do you think that this is all some elaborate ruse to rip a bunch of people off? These people can be traced if they try to commit fraud. There are easier ways to scam someone than making up a company around a phony supercharger.
Why dont you be a patient young man and hold your tongue until you have some evidence to deal with?!!
Old 03-16-2004 | 04:38 AM
fluidz

Originally posted by joust75
Whats with all of you people jumping on the bandwagon to burn these guys? Why dont you relax and wait to see what happens when the thing actually comes out? When it does, you and all those other naysayers are going to look like fools when this turns out to be a very potent product.
It doesent do them any good to lie or bs anyone. Do you think that this is all some elaborate ruse to rip a bunch of people off? These people can be traced if they try to commit fraud. There are easier ways to scam someone than making up a company around a phony supercharger.
Why dont you be a patient young man and hold your tongue until you have some evidence to deal with?!!
It is real and will come out someday and be badazz..........the only question is when. My excitement just got the best of me and had to get the VORTECH.
Old 03-16-2004 | 09:08 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Joey, thanks for the update. Did you actually get to see any of the prototypes in the shop?

Jeff
Old 03-16-2004 | 01:57 PM
damen

i did a search for dw turbo and i seen a kit on a sentra spec V, so the company must be for real. i'm glad i'm in no rush for a kit right now. i can wait a little bit
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:17 PM
JeffR116

So this is another one of many updates. It's building up so much hype, and I'd like to actually see it on a Z...Pictures would be nice. I hope it comes out soon.
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:37 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by zland
Joey, thanks for the update. Did you actually get to see any of the prototypes in the shop?

Jeff

Old 03-16-2004 | 03:40 PM
VampireG

Originally posted by JeffR116
So this is another one of many updates. It's building up so much hype, and I'd like to actually see it on a Z...Pictures would be nice. I hope it comes out soon.
No kidding! If I could actually see a real pic of even a prototype installed in a car, then I would consider preordering one to get on the list. But with no pic of an existing unit, installed, then I just can't plonk down the cash - even if they are offering a discount right now....gotta wait.
Old 03-16-2004 | 03:58 PM
jesseenglish

How can they say they're not rushing it to market unlike the other companies???

Just because they took a long time to do the design and fabrication of the SC/intake manifold doesn't mean they've done the appropriate testing.

No one has actually even seen a real DW SC. So what, they're testing it on maybe one or two cars to keep it a secret. I don't see that as valid testing of the hundreds of cars and conditions that this SC might be in some day.
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:04 PM
DSpec

Originally posted by SSR Engineering
I've been reading about a Sentra Spec V kid whos on about 30 strings, and it looks like they're pullin em all. It's sad to see that he has no visual or confirmed proof of a turbo kit he ordered that mysteriously keeps being delayed... and delayed... and... delayed
Hi Mr. SSR (AJ)--I'm the 35 year old 'kid' with two children, a professional career and, yes, a Spec V, who you described above. Thanks for being so considerate in describing me--and my strings. I appreciate that.

Prior to you speaking on someone's behalf, please use your head. I am a Nissan enthusiast so I'm bound to be present at Nissan forums.

I want to clarify. It's true, I have been unable to see dynos and video. I have seen photos. I also need to see some things from Goran that he hasn't shown me.

I reached my limit last Sunday and asked that my money be returned immediately. He agreed.

The next day, I thought "Geez, I am week away." Let's give it another five business days. If they don't pull through they can wire my money back. (As they agreed to do on Sunday).

Anyway, am I happy with the delays? No. Does it matter that much to me when I get this kit? Nope. As long as it is developed properly.

Better to get the right kit when it's ready than blow an engine at the start line...right AJ?
Thanks 'Kid on Strings'
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:21 PM
More Power

Below is some info I posted on another thread about superchargers for 350Z auto trannys. I got this info from Goran at Dream Workes last Sat. It closely mirrors and is somewhat redundant to what has been posted already on this thread, but there is some info that is new:

Dream Workes says you can have the 350Z auto tranny with their positive displacement supercharger. They say they modify the ECU so that the auto tranny shifts quicker, firmer, and it does shift before hitting the rev limiter in auto mode. (Heard some reports Vortech’s kit causes auto tranny to hit rev limiter if in full auto mode, but not a problem if use triptronic.)

Dream Workes says they are going to offer warranties on the engine and drive train for their supercharger kits. For instance, Dream Workes warranty on their stage I supercharger kit costs $650, you have a $200 deductible, with 4 years/48,000 miles unlimited coverage on engine and drive train. Is it worth the $650 in addition to the cost of the supercharger? Only you can decide. They say they think (not a done deal yet) they will be able to offer this warranty on their stage II supercharger for $1000 to $1100 (cost not finalized). Again, only you can make the call if security is worth the cost. Stage II supercharger kit for the 350Z costs $6600 and is supposed to give you 460 hp at the crank on a stock Z. If you add their headers, exhaust (true dual, similar to Injen), and under drive pulley kit (crank and accessories), that 460 hp is bumped up to 490 to 500 hp for the 350Z. Now, these are their claims. We will have to see if reality lives up to these claims as they estimate the new kits available sometime this month. It is a positive displacement supercharger, but you don't have to replace the stock hood or remove the front strut tower brace as you do for the Stillen kit. (I think you have to remove the brace with Stillen – if I remember correctly.)

They say you'll be able to get the Dream Workes kits installed by Nissan dealers that do NISMO and get warranty work there as well. Furthermore, Dream Workes says their fuel management system plugs into the factory ECU and it has "learning" ability so no tuning is necessary. (There have been small ECU tweeks to the factory ECU by Nissan since it came out, I am told by numerous sources, and Dream Works says their FMS learns and adjusts to these changes.)

As many on this board will tell you, Dream Workes is new so we do not have long term experience, yet, with which to rate their products or their claims which I have posted here. Only time will tell. And I'm not saying this kit is gonna be the holy grail of 350Z superchargers, but looks good enough on paper that I think it’s worth keeping your eye on to see if it lives up to the hype.
Old 03-17-2004 | 07:59 PM
basam350z

The link with the picture does not work. What up wit dat?
Old 03-17-2004 | 08:09 PM
basam350z

Here is a pic I never seen from dreamworkes.

Old 03-18-2004 | 08:31 AM
orhanz33

aren't they located in the Bronx, NYC? i could be there in a half hour w/ my digi-cam...
Old 03-18-2004 | 02:40 PM
basam350z

Durobred, make them put there money where there mouth is. go to http://www.dreamworkesracing.com and get the address and phone number. See what they have to say about someone coming by and checking it out.
Old 03-18-2004 | 04:50 PM
350z_Dubai

thanks ThaFuture for a nice interviwe

but I have a small qustion?

I have US 350Z auto gear I want to buy a superchger

What do you think is a best for auto Z ( vortech ) or ( Stillen )
or ( dreamworkes ) ?

I hope it's not diffcult qustion ? but tell plzz and everybady help me

I'm waitting for reply

Quick Reply: DREAMWORKES SC Update