Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can you say 500 crank / 400+ rwhp? I knew you could…

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:19 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 11PSI-12PSI (450RWHP) There is no question the turbo takes the cake. However in my opinion, at 450rwhp (and I don't mean one dyno pull I might add) you must be willing to do a lot of work to the engine, tranny, cooling systems (oil temps and engine temps) ect.
Well, my Vortech is giving me just over 9lbs of boost (according to what the tuner told me) and I have had 3 dyno runs... 414+change, 420, and 424.9rwhp. I decided to take the average to add to my sig line for 420rwhp SAE.

To achieve this, I have spent quite a bit on my motor, but not to the extent you are talking. Probably closer to $15K. Biggest expenditure beside the SC itself were the Nismo cams. All other items are external bolt-ons that many people on this forum have already done to their cars. I have done nothing to my tranny (not even a flywheel replacement) or to my cooling system.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:26 PM
whosdady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Andy... Long time no see. At 420rwhp you should be fine and $15k sounds about right just for bolt ons and cams w/ out tranny stuff. (I would look into your fuel situation if you go any higher) I have a similar set up as you but I am running more boost and have a 5AT. My point was after you see 440rwhp-450rwhp you will need to upgrade all of this other stuff. At least expect another $10K from what you have already spent if you plan on seeing numbers higher than 450 and expect to be safe. Besides, it will be tough to hit over 450 with the vortech or ATI kit. Vortech has already said you would need a larger trim blower.

Doug is dynoing my car tonight. I will report my numbers in the morning. How much torque are you getting?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:09 AM
mcduck

My torque is peaking in the neighborhood of 340 ftlbs. The best part is that the low point of my torque curve is almost as high as the peak used to be stock!

I'm with you, though... I've been looking at the "next step" of motor upgrades and no matter how I cut it, it's going to be $10K or more. Definitely will require upgraded injectors, rods, pistons... maybe some increased displacement. This stuff ain't cheap!

Right now, I'm trying to decide if that's what I want or if I want to to dump money into a big brake kit, lambo doors, and interior upgrades.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:50 PM
whosdady

I haven't seen my sheets yet but I remember Doug said my torque peaked at 343rwtq (thanks to the converter) and 380rwhp at 8PSI of boost. Last night my bypass valve was sticking so I couldn't boost anymore than 8PSI. Tomorrow they are going to run it at 10PSI. I'm hoping to see some nice gains

Brakes are a must. That and wheels will be my next upgrades but I will have to wait a while as my wife is killing me. I'm affraid I will wake up and one of them (my wife or my car) wont be there
Old 07-11-2004, 09:13 PM
ZZtopp

Default Re: ED is OLD!!

Originally posted by chaparro78
First off, Mcduck - awesome car, great numbers.

Well damn, if I learned anything after reading this 30 min thread was that Ed is old. Let me say not all engineers are d1cks (like me, electronics engineer and not a *** ). Well Ed you have been doing this for 40 years. You must be at least 65 then. An average man lives to be 72. That only gives you a few more years so I can see why you are upset with the world. I on the other hand am 26 and by the law of averages still have a long time to live and a long time to improve on my car. I can see why you are in a rush to get that perfect kit on a Z before you die . I hope it happns so that after you pass the pearly gates ( or the gates of hell, whichever) we can look at the kit you make and put it on our cars as we still will have pleanty of time in or lives to enjoy it. Sorry guys I was in a sarcastic mood tonight

Also, prayers to the family of the Army soldier that recently died in Iraq and thanks and more prayers to my fellow Marines still in action.

There are some cultures on this planet that actually respect older people.....they're accrued experience, wisdom,and knowledge is held in high regard and valued greatly. They learn from their elders....they do not mock them and make them the brunt of childish, ingnorant humor.

Now, thanks mostly to you, bonehead, we've probably lost someone here who may have had a great deal of knowledge and experience to share with us. Regardless of whether you thought he was rude, or curt, or whatever, most of what he said was right on target and very helpful to me in the continuing evalution of just what FI system I'm going to put on my Z.

But you didn't think about that did you... you personally attacked and insulted they guy just because of what you assumed to be his age and because you didn't like his no BS attitude.....and then you turn around make an empassioned statement about a dead soldier like you're some wonderful, caring, sensitive, heroic Marine. You make me sick.

By the way, before you assume it about me, no....I'm not old, but I am smart enough to listen to what those more knowledgeable than me have to say, and to give time, respect, and an open ear where it's due. Age is a state of mind.....maybe you should think about growing to reach yours (26). Do they actually put a weapon in your hand? God help us.....
Old 07-11-2004, 11:10 PM
chaparro78

Default Re: Re: ED is OLD!!

Originally posted by ZZtopp
There are some cultures on this planet that actually respect older people.....they're accrued experience, wisdom,and knowledge is held in high regard and valued greatly. They learn from their elders....they do not mock them and make them the brunt of childish, ingnorant humor.
Respect is not given to someone because of age. As you said, age is a state of mind. Respect is something that is earned. And as for Ed, he has had planty of time in his years on this earth to know that. He could have easily given advice to duck or anyone else without belittling him or anyone else. Just because one has more knowledge does not give one the power to be an ***. Before he gets any respect from me he will treat duck, myself, and anyone else on this forum with the same respect he wants in return.

Now, thanks mostly to you, bonehead....

....and then you turn around make an empassioned statement about a dead soldier like you're some wonderful, caring, sensitive, heroic Marine. You make me sick....

...Do they actually put a weapon in your hand?
[/B]
??? Really, was that necessary, I think not. Actually yes, I am very caring. Having lost a close friend in Iraq, spending time in the Middle East, and having several friends there now, I am very sessitive to their needs and the needs of their families.

As for putting a weapon in my hand, you should be very happy they did. It's that weapon and the weapons in the hands of the soldiers in action now that keep you worry free and reponding to these posts, living your care free life, and enjoying your time with your loved ones.

As for the rest of your response, learn to take a joke. Don't take things to the heart. Get the sand out of your **** and move on.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:27 AM
mcduck

McDuck wonders why such an innane debate is the reason this thread has gained new life this week. Let's leave the bashing out of the thread and stick to appreciating what has been done and talk about what can be done to go to the next level... otherwise, I'll have to become embarrassed that a I even started this post.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:12 AM
phile

hp/tq curve is nice and linear still. That's pretty neat. Very refined if you ask me. Ungodly fast, but it doesn't kick your face in.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:57 AM
ZZtopp

Default Re: Re: Re: ED is OLD!!

Respect is not given to someone because of age. As you said, age is a state of mind. Respect is something that is earned. And as for Ed, he has had planty of time in his years on this earth to know that. He could have easily given advice to duck or anyone else without belittling him or anyone else. Just because one has more knowledge does not give one the power to be an ***. Before he gets any respect from me he will treat duck, myself, and anyone else on this forum with the same respect he wants in return.

??? Really, was that necessary, I think not. Actually yes, I am very caring. Having lost a close friend in Iraq, spending time in the Middle East, and having several friends there now, I am very sessitive to their needs and the needs of their families.

As for putting a weapon in my hand, you should be very happy they did. It's that weapon and the weapons in the hands of the soldiers in action now that keep you worry free and reponding to these posts, living your care free life, and enjoying your time with your loved ones.

As for the rest of your response, learn to take a joke. Don't take things to the heart. Get the sand out of your **** and move on.
Your response makes little sense. You tell me not take things to heart and to learn to take a joke, but you attack Turbo Ed's age in a very vicous (talking about his imminent death) personal way which has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Ed NEVER attacked anyone personally....if you didn't like his tone, learn to be a little less thin skinned. He was only offering his knowledge and advice. If you didn't like the way he did it, was it necessary to tell him he was going to die soon and he'd better hurry up with his own project? Many people here called him on his attitude without being so cruel.

As for your wonderful sensitivity, perhaps you should apply it to everything in your life, not just the causes that affect you directly. I have nothing but respect for our military, but as you said, respect must earned. You have done nothing to earn mine....and being a marine doesn't automatically make you worthy of anything. I have respect for what your organization stands for, but I have none for you as an individual.

Your last comment pretty much sums up who and what you are....so here's a response down at your level that you should be able to understand: As soon as I get done with your mother's ****, I'll start on mine.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
chaparro78

Another day of reading, another day of child like insults.

Anyway, back to ducks original reason for the post.

I get my Vortech SC w/9lb pulley installed at Grubbs Infiniti next week. I am dropping it off on Friday, hopefully by Thursday I'll have it back in my hands. Currently I have the Stillen, headers, exhaust, and a set of resonated race pipes. The Nismo intake will be obsolete since the SC comes with it's own. IT WILL BE FOR SALE IF ANYIONE IS INTERESTED (NISMO INTAKE).

What kind of numbers should I be looking at when it's all said and done?

Also, what do u think of the Defi D-gauges (boost and A/F)?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:02 AM
ZZtopp

Another day of reading, another day of child like insults.

Let's cut the BS and wrap this up. The child-like insults started with you when cruelly attacked a man just because of his age..... and read the last line of your previous post and tell me who is being childish. You're so damn self-righteous you can't even see your own hypocrisy. I thought the Marines were "looking for a few good men." Boy, they really struck out with you, didn't they?
Old 07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
chaparro78

Let's cut the BS and wrap this up. The child-like insults started with you when cruelly attacked a man just because of his age..... and read the last line of your previous post and tell me who is being childish. You're so damn self-righteous you can't even see your own hypocrisy. I thought the Marines were "looking for a few good men." Boy, they really struck out with you, didn't they?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:13 PM
ZZtopp

Attached Thumbnails -gomer.jpg  
Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
chaparro78

lol - that's a sailor's uniform with a Marine cover

I wouldn't expect you to know the difference, still funny either way.