Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New member.... 5AT? re: FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004 | 08:05 PM
350Mark

Default New member.... 5AT? re: FI

Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards and have yet to purchase the Z. I am currently/desperately trying to sell my Lexus IS. I was originally going to go FI with the IS, but have read that there are plenty of issues related with it. Now I've made up my mind that I just wanted something quick right out of the box. So I chose the Z.

Well after doing a Google search, I came across this site. I did not realize how big the aftermarket was for the Z.

This last week I've spent hours and hours reading probably over 400 posts regarding FI, feathering issues, basic bolt ons, so on , and so on. I've learned alot just reading old posts about various topics. Of course I came across FI.

Now i'm in a hole again. These last 4 months i've been saving for a turbo to go with my IS. Now that I'm going to sell it I have @$11k waiting to be spent. I will be purchasing the 5AT and will go FI.

Now my question is ...
Is there any resolution for the shifting on the AT when it comes to FI? I know about TS, but that doesn't seem to completely resolve the issue. Will a electronic shift kit work? Does anyone make one? Basically all it does is increase pressure in the lines therefore producing quicker firmer shifts. Or how about a valvebody upgrade (mechanical)? Has anyone stepped up to the challenge in trying to find a resolution? Any feedback would help in my decision to go FI (especially those who have FI on a 5AT)?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-01-2004 | 08:25 PM
AmyCroft

Default Re: New member.... 5AT? re: FI

Originally posted by 350Mark
Hey everyone! I'm new to these boards and have yet to purchase the Z. I am currently/desperately trying to sell my Lexus IS. I was originally going to go FI with the IS, but have read that there are plenty of issues related with it. Now I've made up my mind that I just wanted something quick right out of the box. So I chose the Z.

Well after doing a Google search, I came across this site. I did not realize how big the aftermarket was for the Z.

This last week I've spent hours and hours reading probably over 400 posts regarding FI, feathering issues, basic bolt ons, so on , and so on. I've learned alot just reading old posts about various topics. Of course I came across FI.

Now i'm in a hole again. These last 4 months i've been saving for a turbo to go with my IS. Now that I'm going to sell it I have @$11k waiting to be spent. I will be purchasing the 5AT and will go FI.

Now my question is ...
Is there any resolution for the shifting on the AT when it comes to FI? I know about TS, but that doesn't seem to completely resolve the issue. Will a electronic shift kit work? Does anyone make one? Basically all it does is increase pressure in the lines therefore producing quicker firmer shifts. Or how about a valvebody upgrade (mechanical)? Has anyone stepped up to the challenge in trying to find a resolution? Any feedback would help in my decision to go FI (especially those who have FI on a 5AT)?

Hey 350MARK - Darn Good Questions.... Looking forward to the
FI forum's response...

Cheers Amy -

Suffering healing scars on hands and arms - of helping Wld350Z install his greddy TT and intercooler... Pictures below.. HA !
Old 06-01-2004 | 10:30 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

Default Re: New member.... 5AT? re: FI

Originally posted by 350Mark
Now my question is ...

Ok...

I have got a 5AT G35...

Here is what I found over the last 18months . There are NO electronic shift kits forthe Z/G, like there are for the ISs. I browsed some IS boards and itseems like there ARE companies out there changing/modding the TCMs.

There are TCs (edgferacingconverters.com) - I have one. Level 10 does VBs - but there have been mixed reviews about the company here...

I would love for there to be an aftermarket company that can make a shifting program to be flashed into the TCM (I know that this can be done - Consult II does it) with a new program - one that will holdthe gear selected when you are in the M mode and to up the line pressure to a higher level than stock when under WOT.

Maybe you can contact the IS shiftkit companies that make these programs and see if they want to get into it. Or PM me their info and I will try.

The TS upgrade DOES resolve the 1-2 gear shifting problem, simply by rasing the redline to 7100 (from 6800 i think). This gives you extra 'time' to shift. Other (2-3. 304, 4-5) shifts ar NOT affected.

Hope this helps

Gurgen
Old 06-02-2004 | 06:10 AM
booger

There is a TCM upgrade for the 03 AT5 .The dealers dont know about it , but it is on there computer [Assist] I have the Vortech SC with the AT5 . Had my rev limiter raised to 7,200 rpms .But it had a dead spot between shifts .ANd I told my dealer about it and told him that there is a upgrade...he couldnt find it so I had to tell him where to find it . They flashed the TCM with consult and now I have no dead spot and the tranny shifts harder and faster . I dont know if it is compatible with the 04 or not . Here is how to get to it on the dealers pomputer.................................................... ............Open Asist program .Click on INFO...tool box icon , then click on Consult utilities , then click on ECM/TCM data icon , then choose g35 and the model year 03 , the AL004 software will appear with other revisions for theECM , both coupe and sedan . 31036-AL013 is the coupe . Just load the software on consult , let him know that its just like they do for the I30's and then load it to yopur car
Old 06-02-2004 | 06:39 AM
whosdady

Have any Z's tried this latest TCM upgrade yet?
Old 06-02-2004 | 06:45 AM
booger

Originally posted by whosdady
Have any Z's tried this latest TCM upgrade yet?
I told Max about it and he said he was to look into it . Havent heard any thing from him on it though
Old 06-02-2004 | 07:27 AM
whosdady

Booger.
Do you have the TS ecu flash? Will this effect my flash? I'm assuming they (ECU, TCM) are 2 different modules... I want to make sure this wont effect my TS Flash.
Old 06-02-2004 | 07:47 AM
booger

Booger.
Do you have the TS ecu flash? Will this effect my flash? I'm assuming they (ECU, TCM) are 2 different modules... I want to make sure this wont effect my TS Flash.
Yes I have TS flash....rev limiter 7,200...no speed limiter...TB 100% open at WOT . The TCM is totally seperate computer from the ECU .This is a upgrade for the TCM and will not effect the ECU
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:22 AM
whosdady

Originally posted by booger
Yes I have TS flash....rev limiter 7,200...no speed limiter...TB 100% open at WOT . The TCM is totally seperate computer from the ECU .This is a upgrade for the TCM and will not effect the ECU
Thanks Booger. My car is at Crawford's right now. I may see if they have time to run it over to the local dealership before they dyno the car. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most significant change and in a positive way. How would you rate the upgrade?
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:46 AM
booger

Thanks Booger. My car is at Crawford's right now. I may see if they have time to run it over to the local dealership before they dyno the car. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most significant change and in a positive way. How would you rate the upgrade?
Well I wouldnt say its like having the VB rebuilt .But I can feel the diff. a little faster and a little harder. The reason Ifiniti/Nissan didnt release this upgrade is , they thought it was a little to aggresive for the G35 . But Im surprised they didnt do it for the Z. The Nissan dealer should have it on there computer. When you take it there , tell them there is a lose of power between sfifts at heavy or WOT, that it takes to long . They should do it under warrenty. If they ask to take it for a ride to see it happen , tell them you dont think they want to do that .As it takes very heavy or WOT to get it to do it.
Old 06-02-2004 | 11:48 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

I had this done too about a month ago at Niello Infiniti in Concord (NorCal). Got the AL004 version. I did notice a difference in shifts - it was quicker.

But believe it or not guys, I think there was an equally, if not more, significant gain in shift firmness and quickness when I got the ECU/TCU grounding wires from Gordgee to complement my original 7 wire kit.

I also have the TS ECU nad that of course was not affected. Keep in mind, the Consult II says "updating ECM" when you flash your TCm, so don't let that scare you.

Don't know if this was said, but there were ECM updates as well for the coupe/sedan (03's). This I believe will upgrade the 'dud' 03.0 sedans to the much quicker 03.5. Of course i already got this benefit (and then some) with a TS ECU upgrade.

G
Old 06-02-2004 | 11:53 AM
booger

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
I had this done too about a month ago at Niello Infiniti in Concord (NorCal). Got the AL004 version. I did notice a difference in shifts - it was quicker.

But believe it or not guys, I think there was an equally, if not more, significant gain in shift firmness and quickness when I got the ECU/TCU grounding wires from Gordgee to complement my original 7 wire kit.

I also have the TS ECU nad that of course was not affected. Keep in mind, the Consult II says "updating ECM" when you flash your TCm, so don't let that scare you.

Don't know if this was said, but there were ECM updates as well for the coupe/sedan (03's). This I believe will upgrade the 'dud' 03.0 sedans to the much quicker 03.5. Of course i already got this benefit (and then some) with a TS ECU upgrade.

G
I have gordee's 7 wire kit also...no diff. in shifting . I took them all off except the one running from the battery to the block and the one running from the tranny to the block....By the way..How do you like that torque converter ? Mine is at Edge right now .Hope I get it back by friday

Last edited by booger; 06-02-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2004 | 12:42 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

Originally posted by booger
I have gordee's 7 wire kit also...no diff. in shifting . I took them all off except the one running from the battery to the block and the one running from the tranny to the block....By the way..How do you like that torque converter ? Mine is at Edge right now .Hope I get it back by friday
I like the TC a lot - hopefully i picked the correct stall speed for my PE TT setup (2400 rpm).

Booger, I was talking about #9 and #10 wires... Ones that go from the previous grounding point to teh ECU and then another short wire to the TCM. THose made a difference!

Gurgen
Old 06-02-2004 | 03:08 PM
booger

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
I like the TC a lot - hopefully i picked the correct stall speed for my PE TT setup (2400 rpm).

Booger, I was talking about #9 and #10 wires... Ones that go from the previous grounding point to teh ECU and then another short wire to the TCM. THose made a difference!

Gurgen
Just talk to Edge racing .He asked me what the stock stall was and I had no idea .So he said he would set it around 400 rpm's higher than it is
Old 06-02-2004 | 06:12 PM
Mean Gene

Default Stillen?

Gurgen - Isn't Stillen working on a tranny ECU? I recall Alex mentioning ( maybe a month ago ) that they had it near final R&D but wanted a few more weeks to road test it before release.

Gene