Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:30 PM
ColecatZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dynos please.....
Old 09-13-2004, 12:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Rayden2001
Hey, I asked first Do you have any pics of this kit installed in a z yet? And what is the the most hp you can put out with this turbo...in terms if we had a built motor with lower compression.
Originally posted by Turbonetics
500 + RWHP is absolutly possible...the turbocharger itself is a ceramic ball bearing unit and will handle lots of boost if that's what you want. With the existing compressor it will handle excess of 550 FHP...just don't confuse pressure with volume or efficency. We make larger compressor wheels that will fit the same envelope.
This base system (turbocharger, wastegate,intercooler and engine managment) were designed for the majority of people and it sound like your not in that catagory but none the less we should ba able to accomidate you.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by Rayden2001
That design is awesome, great.......now I'm starting to back out on twin turbos after seeing this pic. You don't have to remove the front support brace do you? Unlike the greddy kit you have to remove it and I feel this is very important to keep on the car.
We retained the front brace and put as much intercooler as was physically possible between the brace, bottom of facia, ans side to side.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by ColecatZ
Any word on when we can expect to see the dynos get posted? or possibly the other pics that your art department is working on?

Thanks in advance
the car is going back together this week and we should have back on the dyno by the end of the week.
The art department is working on all the pics for the 2005 catalog so they are pretty slammed but as soon as he has time they will be updated.
Thanks for your patients
Old 09-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by JPizzle
Shotgun on sponsorship!!!!!
Valid attempt..but not at this time.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:42 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by little_rod
The more I read about this kit, the more I like it. I pushed some other manufactors that came here in the single turbo direction, glad to see one actually coming out.

This system seems to fit well for someone who has kept their car pretty close to stock performancewise (like me ). Interesting that it doesn't include cats yet, I wouldn't need any myself, but a single cat would be a real good option to have with the kit.

I assume you would have TS handle any timing issues with this kit. I saw where the SS box was mentioned, but the main problem with it is it only lets you do the timing adjustments in 500 rpm increments.

Love the location of the turbo, that is truely a highlight of the kit. Got questions though:

1. Maybe I didn't see it, but this kit will come with a BOV, right?

2. I also noticed you quoted 8.3 psi for your power rating, is that what your kit will be producing when you guys introduce it??

3. If you do the TS reflash as part of the kit, will that be included in the 5-6K MRSP (we responsible for shipping)?? Will anything extra be needed if we buy the total kit from you guys??

4. Which turbo in your lineup will you guys be using??

5. Any fuel solutions as of yet or can TS come up with something here also (wondering if a Walbaro will be needed basically)??
Turbonetics, can you answer some of my questions referenced in the above quote??
Old 09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
JPizzle

I still haven't gotten a price pm.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:51 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by little_rod
Turbonetics, can you answer some of my questions referenced in the above quote??
1) BOV is located in the charge tube just ahead of the throttle body, looking at the pic included in an earlier post you can see the polished Raptor BOV mounted directly behind the turbocharger.

2) Boost setttings will probably end up around 7.5psi. the hardware is capable of handling much more but with all the variations in fuel grades, altitude, driving conditions etc.. 7.5psi is fairly safe.

3) The reflash is scheduled to be part of the purchase price. the shipping charges are still up in the air.

4) 60-1 compressor/ Stage 5 turbine ceramic ball bearing turbocharger

5) Our current testing has not indicated the need for an additional fuel pump...yet...however there has been other companies that have said otherwise. In the end, the system will not be released until it's correct and complete and if that means the system requires a fuel pump we will include it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Turbonetics; 09-14-2004 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any pic of this in a car. Looked through the thread and cant find any .I hope your not going to have a TS flash for fuel and timing control .
Old 09-14-2004, 06:16 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by booger
Are there any pic of this in a car. Looked through the thread and cant find any .I hope your not going to have a TS flash for fuel and timing control .
no pics in the car have yet been posted. Why are you concerned with TS flash for fuel and timing control?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:24 AM
booger

Because it is a set tune . And will not have a way for the buyer to adjust A/F and timing . What may be good there , may not be good here .Elevation , air quallity
Old 09-14-2004, 07:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by booger
Because it is a set tune . And will not have a way for the buyer to adjust A/F and timing . What may be good there , may not be good here .Elevation , air quallity
There has been a discussion regarding using an alternate tuning device for individual needs. How are others in higher elevation doing with their reflashs? I know whosdaddy and another guy are in the mountains on the East Coast and they used the same ATI reflash as others closer to sea level with no issues.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Tweety-nator

I don't like the idea of a reflash, i think a "box" would be better.

What if Nissan issues a new "firmware" upgrade for your ECU? What if upon your next oil change, unknown to you, your dealer decides to upgrade your firmware to the newest version? There goes your reflash.

That's fine if you live in California, but if you live in another state then you would have to ship your ECU and wait a couple of days to get it back, and in this case it would mean a few days without a car. Add to the fact that you will have to spend another $500 for the reflash, and it gets aggravating.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:01 AM
booger

Well like the Vortech , It will come tuned very rich ,to be safe . And more than likely only for a set psi .If you want to get the most out of it or bump the psi . You have to send in the ECU . Ive retuned my Vortech 4 times to get it where it is . I hate to think I would have to send the ECU in ever time .And the time it would take for each time . ANd then it still may not be right . HIT AND MISS.....no thanks....Im keeping an eye on this kit because it is a single turbo . Sure hope it comes out with some type of A/F and timing control that will be tuneable by the user

Last edited by booger; 09-14-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:59 AM
ColecatZ

a tuner kit option by be something to look at for the people that plan on pushing up beyond the set .psi out of the box. Turbonetics supplies the hardware and we take care of the tuning side?

In my opinion, if they wanted to corner a chunk of the FI market for the 350z, it’s going to require an option that allows for flexibility in tuning. I already know I’ll end up building the motor a year or so after I get the turbo in, so I need something I can re-address and build on.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 AM
booger

ColecatZ u need to resize that sig pic...so we dont have to move your posts to see what u write
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
a tuner kit option by be something to look at for the people that plan on pushing up beyond the set .psi out of the box. Turbonetics supplies the hardware and we take care of the tuning side?

In my opinion, if they wanted to corner a chunk of the FI market for the 350z, it’s going to require an option that allows for flexibility in tuning. I already know I’ll end up building the motor a year or so after I get the turbo in, so I need something I can re-address and build on.
How bout the PE kit doesn't it come with only a reflash and then another device is needed to further tune for higher boost? Could you simply add an piggyback to this re-flashed ECU and further tune for higher boost?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:57 AM
mojo powered

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
How bout the PE kit doesn't it come with only a reflash and then another device is needed to further tune for higher boost? Could you simply add an piggyback to this re-flashed ECU and further tune for higher boost?

yes, that would be the ultimate setup in my opinion. A simple reflash for those who want to leave it as it comes out of the box...

Then if you want to take it further, buy your own piggyback and tune from there. The flash would take care of the larger injector scaling.

And of course, if the injectors were large enough to support 12-13 psi, it'd be even better with room to grow. I can't wait.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:19 PM
booger

The Ultimate setup would come with management that could fine tune the stock setup...and take care of any upgrading done in the future.......they would sell many more units if they just take it one step further than any one else
Old 09-14-2004, 01:24 PM
newmexicoZ33

Turbonetics,
I am also basically 100% sold on purchasing this kit, but I would like to take the opportunity to express my concerns on the TS reflash as an option. The problem with a TS reflash route is that, as many people have stated, having to mail/send the ecu back and forth for reflashing is not very practical. Also, although there are some people who would want only the performance of the base boost settings, even then it is not a sure bet that the reflash a/f and/or timing settings would work for them, because at different altitues/temperatures everything changes drastically. I am in Albuquerque, NM, at over 5000 feet. I do not plan on running any more boost than your base setting, but I already know that whatever base settings you send will still need to be modified in order for my car to run properly. I actually know of a person locally with a Vortech kit who chose to go the TS reflash route, and has been having problems in getting the correct, safe a/f settings for his car and the fact that he has to send the ecu back and forth to TS has turned his tunning issues into a matter of months rather than one or two dyno sessions. I hope you will consider doing some form of piggyback or standalone fuel solution. Practicality sells, and I am sure that the majority of the people would opt against the TS reflash.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z