Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:57 AM
ZISBAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! that is the same thing what I'm looking for as well! I want something that is not too complicated, and boost enough power for daily driving. Anything that is more than 350 to the wheel, I will be very happy with. Hopefully the price will be a more affordable than the TT, I will definitely be in on it as well!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ZISBAK
Wow! that is the same thing what I'm looking for as well! I want something that is not too complicated, and boost enough power for daily driving. Anything that is more than 350 to the wheel, I will be very happy with. Hopefully the price will be a more affordable than the TT, I will definitely be in on it as well!
The last price mentioned was ~$5000 with fmic, reflash, everything...
Old 09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Woo Hoo!! I found it! Thanks for the info, ColecatZ

Here's the link to the thread for those who are interested

-Chris

Bingo!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
The last price mentioned was ~$5000 with fmic, reflash, everything...
For a single turbo, I'd hope the price would be in the $3500-$4500 range...much like the other single turbo kits for japanese import cars. Granted, your dealing with two manifolds....but it would be great if the price could even undercut the SC's that are out there. AT $5000, the price is too close to the Greddy TT, which street-sells for about $5200-$5500
Old 09-15-2004, 01:13 PM
ColecatZ

The 5-6k range mentioned earlier is stated as the MSRP range they are shooting for so that is clearly Retail price. That being said, I have to agree with the statement that the Greddy can be had for $5200-5500 and I’ve seen the Vortech SC go for as low as $4200 on more than one occasion.

If the intended MSRP is the 5-6k range, then that leads me to believe this kit should be a direct competitor with the Vortech at the $4500 price point maybe a little lower. Otherwise I’d pony up the extra funds for the Greddy and buy some more low end torque

Keep in mind the ease of install for this kit while using the factory headers. That will be a big draw for this kit I believe, that and retaining the factory bumper support. That is the biggest plus for me.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:21 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: TQ curve

Oh,,,,right of course. I dont doubt you one bit on that. But then again I dont think this kit was meant to do that either. I have always been biased to the Centrifig. SC kits due to the nature of their design. Morderate power, ease of installation, power when i went it but not always there (boost building higher up). I think what I like the most about the Turbonetics kit is its similar power band to a centrifig SC yet I prefer the efficiency of a turbo to a parasitic system with further complications such as belts, pulleys etc. After looking at the numerous posts about torn belts, wrong pullies, pullies falling off, guesstimating pulley size, I feel like this is the "A Beautiful Mind" forum. (its a joke of course) What I guess I am trying to say is that I would like a Cent SC type power band and numbers but without the headaches of pulleys.
Yes I can see your angle. But if the street cost doesn't come down to compete with the SCs out there , then I think Turbonetics has a poor business case with this kit. $5k would be too much for the street. Too clsoe to the Greddy as mentioned by gg.

I look at it from this angle. Technically what this setup appears to do is:
a) mimimize what makes the NA VQ35 "sweet = flat TQ curve"
and
b) accentuate what can make a "turbo sour = boost lag".

So, ok for a track machine , but nearly as effecitve for a high performance street application.

As for turbo sizing, unfortunately many get hooked on big HP numbers . So from a marketing perspective it is in Turbnetics interest to use a bigger head unit so they can claim the big HP and not "appear " to be lwo when comapred to the rest of the herd. If the selected was smaller which woudl decrease the boost lag, they would not be able to claim the big number.

In reality in a street appilcation or "dual use" application the TQ is what gets used, not the big dyno, peak hp "chest beating" that everyone seems to fixate on.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TQ curve

Originally posted by G3po
Yes I can see your angle. But if the street cost doesn't come down to compete with the SCs out there , then I think Turbonetics has a poor business case with this kit. $5k would be too much for the street. Too clsoe to the Greddy as mentioned by gg.

I look at it from this angle. Technically what this setup appears to do is:
a) mimimize what makes the NA VQ35 "sweet = flat TQ curve"
and
b) accentuate what can make a "turbo sour = boost lag".

So, ok for a track machine , but nearly as effecitve for a high performance street application.

As for turbo sizing, unfortunately many get hooked on big HP numbers . So from a marketing perspective it is in Turbnetics interest to use a bigger head unit so they can claim the big HP and not "appear " to be lwo when comapred to the rest of the herd. If the selected was smaller which woudl decrease the boost lag, they would not be able to claim the big number.

In reality in a street appilcation or "dual use" application the TQ is what gets used, not the big dyno, peak hp "chest beating" that everyone seems to fixate on.
Oh I hear you completely. I'm pretty sure when they are finished tinkering no one will be disappointed. I actually am fortunate in one aspect as I will be heading up to Turbonetics on Friday to get a test ride/drive in their project Z. I plan to take some video of everything to give people a better idea of the real world feeling of this kit. Also I think they have changed a few things since that dyno to further decrease the lag and make this a more linear power band. Furthermore after talking to Brad about this and getting a little history of the design and designer I am not of the opinion that Turbonetics is going for the big number effect. I'm not saying you are insinuating they are just stating what I think. I can honestly say that the designer of this kit has made some very good kits in the past that were high streetable and still were capable of track level power. I think when this kit finally hits the stores its going to be a very nice piece. Most of the info that Brad has posted was done most likely in part to the overwhelming requests of our board members. Essentially he would have preferred to wait until they were completely done to release any data so as not to confuse anyone and to ensure that the data we looked at was an accurate interpetation of what we will see in the production kit. Like he said that was 3rd dyno ever. Since that dyno I believe they have played with the compresor size and some other things to lower lag time. From what Brad was saying they are getting full boost much sooner than is represented in that graph. Again I'll have much more data for everyone Friday. And yes that price was MSRP which we all know tends to be a bit higher than street price. In fact I believe the Vortch kit MSRP is just over 5k is it not?

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 09-15-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:47 PM
ColecatZ

I can see what you mean there and have to agree to an extent that a turbo configuration sized differently might prove to be better in this application than what has been shown so far. Keeping in mind we haven’t seen all they have tested and the curve could change quite a bit with the final release. I don’t think it is practical for a company to release a kit with the biggest numbers just because it can be “king of the hill” or whatever and Turbonetics is smart….they know this. I personally think the Greddy turbos are complete overkill for the stock engined 350z. A different setup should be able to put down the same numbers and see boost sooner.

For Turbonetics to release a tunable kit that put down a reliable 330-360rwhp would be great I think. I also don’t think the guys wanting the big numbers will complain too much concidering the turbo can be completely removed in twenty minutes. This means that as ppl experiment with different turbo configs and find the ultimate street setup (happens with every company no matter how much R&D they do….becasue eventually turbo technology changes) they will eventually be able to swap and test within 40 minutes. Greddy twins will have a harder time “pulling their snails” so to speak.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
ColecatZ

my response above is to g3po......not to Miaplaya. I forgot to quote and MIAPLAYA responded while I was typing... just to clarify.

also, being the third dyno, I'm sure we will see some better numbers as well. "Better" being more area UNDER THE GRAPH....not higher on the chart as so many seem to dwell on. Looking forward to your data MIAPLAYA, thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I can see what you mean there and have to agree to an extent that a turbo configuration sized differently might prove to be better in this application than what has been shown so far. Keeping in mind we haven’t seen all they have tested and the curve could change quite a bit with the final release. I don’t think it is practical for a company to release a kit with the biggest numbers just because it can be “king of the hill” or whatever and Turbonetics is smart….they know this. I personally think the Greddy turbos are complete overkill for the stock engined 350z. A different setup should be able to put down the same numbers and see boost sooner.

For Turbonetics to release a tunable kit that put down a reliable 330-360rwhp would be great I think. I also don’t think the guys wanting the big numbers will complain too much concidering the turbo can be completely removed in twenty minutes. This means that as ppl experiment with different turbo configs and find the ultimate street setup (happens with every company no matter how much R&D they do….becasue eventually turbo technology changes) they will eventually be able to swap and test within 40 minutes. Greddy twins will have a harder time “pulling their snails” so to speak.
Excellent point...I was about to post the EXACT same thing as well.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by gq_626
Bingo!
Well, it doesn't appear to be a "cost effective" alternative to splicing into the ECU harness. They are asking $249.00 for the plug-in adapter harness! That's crazy!

My eManage unit was only $269.00!

Someone bumped their head over there or something.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:06 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well, it doesn't appear to be a "cost effective" alternative to splicing into the ECU harness. They are asking $249.00 for the plug-in adapter harness! That's crazy!

My eManage unit was only $269.00!

Someone bumped their head over there or something.
Compare that to the cost of a main harness and its VERY cost effective.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:08 PM
ColecatZ

Well, it's cheaper than a new ECU or wiring harness.....but that is still a little crazy.

I guess you avoid giving up any secrets to a dealer in the event you wanted to go back to stock and I'm sure that is what they are banking on
Old 09-15-2004, 02:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
Well, it's cheaper than a new ECU or wiring harness.....but that is still a little crazy.

I guess you avoid giving up any secrets to a dealer in the event you wanted to go back to stock and I'm sure that is what they are banking on
Yeah dealers tend to be complete ****** when they see you hacked up your harness.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
ChrisMCagle

Yeah dealers tend to be complete ****** when they see you hacked up your harness.
That may be true, but seriously how many dealers do you think are going to crawl under your dash to make sure that the wiring is nice and tidy??? I'd imagine the number would be extremely low.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

That may be true, but seriously how many dealers do you think are going to crawl under your dash to make sure that the wiring is nice and tidy??? I'd imagine the number would be extremely low.
well of course they wont on a routine service or anything but if you ever do have an ECU problem or if your car starts acting weird and they look you can kiss your warrantly good bye. Also lets say something does go wrong with the harness or ECU (God I hope not) the cost is ridiculous. I would be willing to spend the extra cash just for piece of mind. I dont like doing anything to my car that I cant undo.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:56 PM
S12 driver

The spool up is a little late, maybe Turbonetics should try a ball bearing unit to help the spool. As for fuel management, I think it should be left to the user. Some people want plug and play (ecu reflash), some people want tunability (eManage). So just leave out those parts and let the user decide what to do.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:03 PM
G3po

Default spool up

Originally posted by S12 driver
The spool up is a little late, maybe Turbonetics should try a ball bearing unit to help the spool. As for fuel management, I think it should be left to the user. Some people want plug and play (ecu reflash), some people want tunability (eManage). So just leave out those parts and let the user decide what to do.
The unit already is a ceramic BB type.

As mentioned before when youi put a long-long-long (did I mention long?) pipe between the bank exhaust ports and the snail(s), you will get inferior spool times.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by S12 driver
Like previously mentioned that is not the final chart and changes have/are being made in that regard..
Old 09-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I dont necessarily expect the the boost response to get any better with such a turbo, it's not like it's small to begin with to help in its spool up much less the tubing length. But none-the-less, I'm at elevation where even slow cars that are turbo'd can give a N/A Z a run for their money if not spank. The kit looks decent enough, but 6k for a high hp/tq band from 5000-6600 looks worse than just going with a greddy TT and getting gobs of low end power. I'm sure it'll be one helluva kick in the pants when that boost creeps up within 800 rpm, and I'd get this kit, if it werent so expensive. Such a power band I'd pay around 3.5k (including install) for, not 6, no way. Such a single T kit price would potentially make a killing on the market IMO. Your only getting half the fun as a TT kit, why have to pay the same price? I'd also rather have a an option on the tunability with a "tuner" kit available where fuel is the sole responsibility of the person buying the kit.

Just some things to think of, and I understand and appreciate the R&D going into the kit. But the performance doesnt justify the $/hp ratio at all. I definately look foward to keeping an eye out for this kit and hope you guys get it all squared away, but I definately don't expect the boost characterstics to get any better than it is. For what you've done, it's definately good, and regarding an all out street race, well you'll be in the 5200-6600rpm band where all the power is, so I definately figure it'll be pretty damn fast.

Last edited by Juztin; 09-15-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z