Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:04 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the piping made of from the stock exhaust manifold to the turbo? and how thick is it? gauge?

Will it withstand the weight of the turbo? or is the piping bolted on to the block somewhere to prevent cracking?

where is the wastegate located?

Last edited by accordfreak; 09-15-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Juztin
I dont necessarily expect the the boost response to get any better with such a turbo, it's not like it's small to begin with to help in its spool up much less the tubing length. But none-the-less, I'm at elevation where even slow cars that are turbo'd can give a N/A Z a run for their money if not spank. The kit looks decent enough, but 6k for a high hp/tq band from 5000-6600 looks worse than just going with a greddy TT and getting gobs of low end power. I'm sure it'll be one helluva kick in the pants when that boost creeps up within 800 rpm, and I'd get this kit, if it werent so expensive. Such a power band I'd pay around 3.5k (including install) for, not 6, no way. Such a single T kit price would potentially make a killing on the market IMO. Your only getting half the fun as a TT kit, why have to pay the same price? I'd also rather have a an option on the tunability with a "tuner" kit available where fuel is the sole responsibility of the person buying the kit.

Just some things to think of, and I understand and appreciate the R&D going into the kit. But the performance doesnt justify the $/hp ratio at all. I definately look foward to keeping an eye out for this kit and hope you guys get it all squared away, but I definately don't expect the boost characterstics to get any better than it is. For what you've done, it's definately good, and regarding an all out street race, well you'll be in the 5200-6600rpm band where all the power is, so I definately figure it'll be pretty damn fast.
The final price hasn't been released yet. ~$5000 MSRP usually mean ~$4000-4200 street price or less. HKS MSRP was ~$7000.
You can get one for ~$5200 from a dealer
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
ColecatZ

I'm guessing some of this backlash and animousity is the reason it has been difficult to get new information..... not to make any insinutation that it is unfounded, as I do feel the point made regarding extended tubing from the header is the differnece in performance, I do feel that we will see a healthy improvement in the final results and will end up with a welcome, and all be it viable addition to the FI market. I also agree that it should be damn fast.

The more the merrier.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
The final price hasn't been released yet. ~$5000 MSRP usually mean ~$4000-4200 street price or less. HKS MSRP was ~$7000.
You can get one for ~$5200 from a dealer
Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on the price, if it's low enough Id definately pick it up provided I can put together a seperate fuel/ignition system to try and safety up the margin a bit. It's hard to make a kit for everyone's needs, but atleast there's been some good mentions in this thread for them to consider and see if they can reach a "mean" product offering to cater to a lot of us. I'm hoping the price for this kit will be realistic enough for what you get performance wise and remain in the lower price bracket considering F/I
Old 09-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by accordfreak
what is the piping made of from the stock exhaust manifold to the turbo? and how thick is it? gauge?

Will it withstand the weight of the turbo? or is the piping bolted on to the block somewhere to prevent cracking?

where is the wastegate located?
Production pipes from the manifolds to the turbo will be stainless and the production pipes from the and to the intercooler will wind up aluminum with a black/chrome finish. The turbo is mounted solidly to front of the engine. the wastegate is located in the up pipe under the turbocharger just ahead of the turbine inlt connection.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
G3po

Default manifolds

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I'm guessing some of this backlash and animousity is the reason it has been difficult to get new information..... not to make any insinutation that it is unfounded, as I do feel the point made regarding extended tubing from the header is the differnece in performance, I do feel that we will see a healthy improvement in the final results and will end up with a welcome, and all be it viable addition to the FI market. I also agree that it should be damn fast.

I hope my comments haven't been taken as animosity towards Turbonetics. Options are always good for the consumer IMO.
The fundamnetal design choices that forced the exhaust piping to be "long" are:

a) the engine is "V" configuration, so when compare to a single turbo "I" configuration such as a Supra.

b) the snail needs to be mounted under the OEM hood in very limited space, hence it must be mounted high and assymetric to the engine center. This mandates that a long cross pipe be used to adjoin the two banks, then take a circuitous route up to the snail.

c) The OEM exhaust manifolds are retained, Done for ease of installation and reduced cost , this puts the exhuast port at a geographically much less than ideal distance from the snail.

Given the design objectives of this kit : lower cost, easier install de-install, neverto be CARBed: it is unlikey that any major plumbing changes could be made to "significantly" improve the spool slope..

So it is what it is , I just don't want anyone to think that this was a "performance" driven design. Boost lag has always been the nemesis of dual purpose (street/strip) Turbo system, and Turbonetics knows this as well as any developers.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: manifolds

Originally posted by G3po
I hope my comments haven't been taken as animosity towards Turbonetics. Options are always good for the consumer IMO.
The fundamnetal design choices that forced the exhaust piping to be "long" are:

a) the engine is "V" configuration, so when compare to a single turbo "I" configuration such as a Supra.

b) the snail needs to be mounted under the OEM hood in very limited space, hence it must be mounted high and assymetric to the engine center. This mandates that a long cross pipe be used to adjoin the two banks, then take a circuitous route up to the snail.

c) The OEM exhaust manifolds are retained, Done for ease of installation and reduced cost , this puts the exhuast port at a geographically much less than ideal distance from the snail.

Given the design objectives of this kit : lower cost, easier install de-install, neverto be CARBed: it is unlikey that any major plumbing changes could be made to "significantly" improve the spool slope..

So it is what it is , I just don't want anyone to think that this was a "performance" driven design. Boost lag has always been the nemesis of dual purpose (street/strip) Turbo system, and Turbonetics knows this as well as any developers.
I'm sure no offense was taken. I'll be up at Turbonetics tomorrow and I'll get as much data as I can. I know there are a LOT of people anxiously awaiting some pics and data. I talked to Brad today and I think its a go for some in car video footage. Who says I have no love for the boards...its a 2+ hour drive to get there.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
accordfreak

for those who are wondering how it's routed.. i finally figured how it's all connected. hopefully this will give a general idea..

Old 09-16-2004, 04:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by accordfreak
for those who are wondering how it's routed.. i finally figured how it's all connected. hopefully this will give a general idea..

Nicely done...I should have plenty of on-car pics tomorrow that will help out as well.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Where is the AC compressor going to be located in this? It's hard to tell from this picture...

Can we assume that you get to keep your AC?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 PM
350Now

Originally posted by gq_626
Where is the AC compressor going to be located in this? It's hard to tell from this picture...

Can we assume that you get to keep your AC?
That was my questions a couple of post back as well as the belts and pulley up front, but it was stated that it all fit but wasn't sure if the AC is retained in the factory location???
Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 AM
ColecatZ

I'm just curious how close the kit's piping runs to the stock manifolds. I want to know if my DC Headers would work and or benefit this kit.

take some close up pics if possible.....
Old 09-17-2004, 11:41 PM
MIAPLAYA

Heres the link...made a new thread as this one was cluttered...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=92047
Old 09-17-2004, 11:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I'm just curious how close the kit's piping runs to the stock manifolds. I want to know if my DC Headers would work and or benefit this kit.

take some close up pics if possible.....
Well I wasn't able to get any under car pics but from what the designer told me this kit just ties into the header outlet and takes the room/place of the cats. I'm pretty sure aftermarket headers would work. Brad might be able to chime in here with some better answers.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Turbonetics

Well I wasn't able to get any under car pics but from what the designer told me this kit just ties into the header outlet and takes the room/place of the cats. I'm pretty sure aftermarket headers would work. Brad might be able to chime in here with some better answers.
Assuming the headers are fit form and function meaning the flange location are the same as stock everything should work fine...however not having actually done it...a ginny pig would be needed.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by 350Now
That was my questions a couple of post back as well as the belts and pulley up front, but it was stated that it all fit but wasn't sure if the AC is retained in the factory location???
Yes the A/C in retained in the stock location, stock belts.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:10 AM
g356gear

Originally posted by Turbonetics
Assuming the headers are fit form and function meaning the flange location are the same as stock everything should work fine...however not having actually done it...a ginny pig would be needed.
The headers place the flanges in the same position as stock so the stock cats can be retained. There should be no problems using headers if the Turbonetics system bolts on to the rear of the header flange where the cats normally go. My only concern would be if there was bracing to support the exhaust system that goes up to the turbo. The stock cats use the tranny brace to take weight off the manifolds. Hopefully this has been addresses by Turbonetics.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by g356gear
The headers place the flanges in the same position as stock so the stock cats can be retained.
Ok, I'm confused now. Are you saying that we CAN use cats with this turbo setup?

-Chris
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Ok, I'm confused now. Are you saying that we CAN use cats with this turbo setup?

-Chris
No the discussion is whether aftermarket headers will work ok on this kit. The answer is that as long as the outlet flange of the header is in the same location as stock then yes. The point was then made that the stock cats have a tranny brace and the question was posed if the new piping that replaces the factory cats have those braces.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Turbonetics

No the discussion is whether aftermarket headers will work ok on this kit. The answer is that as long as the outlet flange of the header is in the same location as stock then yes. The point was then made that the stock cats have a tranny brace and the question was posed if the new piping that replaces the factory cats have those braces.
We do pick up the stock manifold flanges as well as the stock tranny brace, we then have an additional brace up front at the turbo moutning area.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z