Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Single Turbo 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the SS box seems like a good solution but like I stated before I am going to be staying at the base boost levels when I get this so the TS reflash is fine with me. How many people are SERIOUSLY planning to purchase this kit i wonder. I'm sure if that was a major deciding/selling point for people Turbonetics might decide to switch.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats my point.......go one step further than any one else and sell many more units .The TS flash just doesnt cut it . You spend money to have it flashed...then go spend more money to have it dynoed to check to see if its right. then send it back when its to rich or lean , then back to the dyno again...HIT and MISS
Old 09-14-2004, 01:59 PM
JeffesonM

It seems like it would be very easy to offer a TS flash of a base program for those who want it, and also offer a tuner kit with base programs for the eManage or SS box.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:51 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by JeffesonM
It seems like it would be very easy to offer a TS flash of a base program for those who want it, and also offer a tuner kit with base programs for the eManage or SS box.
I agree that this sounds like the best option.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Turbonetics

This was the highest pull we did before the A/F ratio became unsafe.
Attached Thumbnails Single Turbo 350Z-350z-8-psi-405-hp166kb1.jpg  
Old 09-14-2004, 03:30 PM
booger

Good numbers !!! What was unsafe A/F at ? What kind of A/F and timing management are you using right now on the car ? Can we get some pics of the unit in the car ?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

woah.....I guess that answers the question about the effects on torq and low end power with a single turbo. The trq curve is awful...only 160ft/lbs of trq at 3000rpm....my Greddy has 300-315lbs at 6--8psi.

This car would feel gutless on the road...sorry.

Here is a link to my dyno run at 6psi. I didnt have the RPM single connected...that's why it starting running lean. This was done like 6 months ago. But you can use this chart to compare torq.

http://www.savepic.com/is.php?i=5360...d_Evo2_Ext.jpg

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-14-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:36 PM
G3po

Default TQ curve

Yeh , I noticed that , looks very similar to the Vortech/ATI curve. You should post your Greddy TQ curve here , so people can see the real diff.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

http://www.savepic.com/is.php?i=4312&img=AF_Table.jpg

Here it is in a table format....cant remember if this was the exact some run...but again...you'll get the point.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-14-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:46 PM
G3po

Default Single Turbo

Originally posted by gq_626
http://www.savepic.com/is.php?i=4312&img=AF_Table.jpg

Here it is in a table format.
I guess this single turbo system could be described as
an Exhaust driven Vortech I'd prefer the Vortech over this.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Turbonetics

woah.....I guess that answers the question about the effects on torq and low end power with a single turbo. The trq curve is awful...only 160ft/lbs of trq at 3000rpm....my Greddy has 300-315lbs at 6--8psi.

This car would feel gutless on the road...sorry.

Here is a link to my dyno run at 6psi. I didnt have the RPM single connected...that's why it starting running lean. This was done like 6 months ago. But you can use this chart to compare torq.

http://www.savepic.com/is.php?i=5360...d_Evo2_Ext.jpg
Stay tuned and don't get dissapointed over a single post...this was just the 3rd ever dyno pull on this new application and before any other system changes (turbine A/R, timing, plumbing, etc...) had been modified. We are simply trying to keep you guy up to speed as to what progress is being made.

Thanks for the feedback and the link to your dyno runs, your numbers looks very impressive. since you have had your system for some time, what about the system or the drivability are not happy with?

Last edited by Turbonetics; 09-14-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

Default Re: Single Turbo

Originally posted by G3po
I guess this single turbo system could be described as
an Exhaust driven Vortech I'd prefer the Vortech over this.
Relax guys they haven't even finished tuning yet. This is the reason people keep us in the dark so long about stuff that coming out. The guy was posting an initial tuning chart with no other tuning done yet and you guys jump all over him. According to him it was the 3rd dyno pull ever on this. Give the guy a break. When I talked to Brad the other day I asked if he would be putting out some more stuff soon and he said he preferred to wait until the kit was actual done and in production tune/form until putting anyting out. Now I see why. He only posted that chart to give everyone a GENERAL idea of the power output with no fine tuning or adjustments.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I didnt mean to come across that critical...and after re-reading my post...I guess I did....my appolgies.

I know the tuning isnt complete.....I hope you get get the trq curve as flat as the other TT systems out there...Greddy, PE..etc....

Turbonetics, in regards to driveability...its excellent. When out of the boost, the car pulls as strong as stock..you cant even tell there is a turbo. At WOT, there is very little turbo lag, and the power build and trq is crazy...really pushes you in the seat.

In regards to the fuel system, I did extensive road testing with my wideband O2, and found that with the stock fuel pump, and 440cc injectors, the stock fuel pump pooped out at 7psi...and even then...it was a bit too lean for my tastes. 12:1. I have since switched to a Walbro 255 which gives me plenty of fuel. I am about to install my rising rate FPR, and new Altered Atmosphere return fuel system with new billet aluminum fuel rails.

The danager is really the stock internals...very flimsy...even when properly tuned...I wouldnt release a kit at more than 7psi and 375hp. Several good people have blow up their motors with modest levels of boost, and proper AF and timing levels. That seems to be the bigger issue with F/I and the Z.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-14-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Turbonetics

I didnt mean to come across that critical...and after re-reading my post...I guess I did....my appolgies.

I know the tuning isnt complete.....I hope you get get the trq curve as flat as the other TT systems out there...Greddy, PE..etc....

Turbonetics, in regards to driveability...its excellent. When out of the boost, the car pulls as strong as stock..you cant even tell there is a turbo. At WOT, there is very little turbo lag, and the power build and trq is crazy...really pushes you in the seat.

In regards to the fuel system, I did extensive road testing with my wideband O2, and found that with the stock fuel pump, and 440cc injectors, the stock fuel pump pooped out at 7psi...and even then...it was a bit too lean for my tastes. 12:1. I have since switched to a Walbro 255 which gives me plenty of fuel. I am about to install my rising rate FPR, and new Altered Atmosphere return fuel system with new billet aluminum fuel rails.

The danager is really the stock internals...very flimsy...even when properly tuned...I wouldnt release a kit at more than 7psi and 375hp. Several good people have blow up their motors with modest levels of boost, and proper AF and timing levels. That seems to be the bigger issue with F/I and the Z.
Again, thanks for the feedback...we can design the best products in the world but until it actually gets into the hands of the enthusiast like yourselves and gets real world usage (or punishment) in many different environments you really don't know how good the design is.

There obviously is several power adder solutions on the market and all appear to be doing a great job including Greddy, PE and the blower guys. But not everybody wants the same thing, or you could be just like Henry Ford was in the early days..."You can have any color car you want as long as it's black"

The issues you are working through will certanly help everybody who reads them and is invaluable, please continue to share your experiences.

Last edited by Turbonetics; 09-14-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
tig488

that cant be a tq curve can it? the tq and hp doesnt meet @ 5200 rpms, that looks like 2 hp graphs.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
97modman

Turbonetics quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stay tuned and don't get dissapointed over a single post...this was just the 3rd ever dyno pull on this new application and before any other system changes (turbine A/R, timing, plumbing, etc...) had been modified. We are simply trying to keep you guy up to speed as to what progress is being made.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree there is still progress to be made and i am sure it will be a good kit and it will give more Z owners 1 more choice for FI..i personally like this kit:
1. Weight savings compared to the Greddy should be around anywhere from 25-30lbs from the front end of the car(guessing). 2. The fact that it looks like a easy install.
3. Might be able to get away using the stock exhaust..(saves$$$)

As far as the Dyno numbers the are some items that we dont know like what type of A/R is the compressor wheel or what size turbo it is. I would think a T62-1 w/.68 or a lower A/R would bring the boost alot earlier than 3200 rpm and would have the power to get you to 600rwhp..but those are my thoughts.

but we will see what happens in the next couple of months(testing, tuning,etc..) i feel good about this product and i think it will make very good impressions.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by tig488
that cant be a tq curve can it? the tq and hp doesnt meet @ 5200 rpms, that looks like 2 hp graphs.
I was thinking that at first, but the axis labels show trq and HP, and you see the normal tell tale dropoff of trq.

Hth,

Sharif
Old 09-14-2004, 07:01 PM
tig488

yeah i see that but it still doesnt make sense, it must cross at 5200, no exceptions.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:07 PM
booger

at the far left trq is blue....far right is green......it isnt 2 hp curves
Old 09-14-2004, 07:15 PM
tig488

yeah i understand that but the labels could be wrong, hp MUST meet tq @ 5252 rpms, it must be because the scales are different

Quick Reply: Single Turbo 350Z