Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is AWESOME. It's kind of hard to hear the turbo though. So if I want the Injen SES true dual with this turbo kit I have to get custom pipes made???
Old 09-18-2004, 02:27 PM
thebigsadler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tig488
where do i send my check?
you took the words out of my mouth!

i am interested to hear what the final numbers come out to be at what psi and such.. im sure this thing will compete with greddy's kit if it is built and tuned right.

thanks for taking the time to go over and get pictures/video for us.

jason
Old 09-18-2004, 03:29 PM
daytona350z

hey, just wondering,
how did you get a chance to ride in this thing? i didnt even know turbonetics was coming out with a kit? did you just call them up and ask if they are going to produce a 350Z turbo kit?
thanks
nice report, lookin foward to the final pricing
Old 09-18-2004, 04:01 PM
autois4pussies

check the FI forum once in a while. There was a pretty long running thread about the single turbo and everything. So if you want some more info or see the pic of the turbo setup outside of the car then check it out.

enjoy
Old 09-18-2004, 04:39 PM
o snap its eric

cant wait for the G coupe version!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:05 PM
toykilla

so fuel management is going to be a technosquare reflash?
Old 09-18-2004, 05:37 PM
basam350z

Wow, this is really inovative! I think it's cool because I can save a lot of money, but I don't think this setup will be as streetable as the Greddy and PE kits, with there TT systems. The single turbo would have such a long pipe from the cat location that stop and go driving would be not different than stock.

BUT I would not be surprised if a Z with this kit installed didn't do better in the quarter mile than a Greddy or PE with the same boost levels, with street tires of course. That lag will give you the "Supra" single turbo affect, if not worse, lots of lag, but will catch up in the end.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:57 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Well as far as I'm concerned turbo lag wasn't a big factor. At 3k RPMs where were already running in boost. At 4k we were getting a full 8 pounds...let me know if you cant get the vids. I can aim them to you or something.
Interesting that you say that. I am eager to see some final dynos on this kit, cause while it doesn't seem to have all the low end rod bending grunt of the TTs (who are at full boost maybe around 1K earlier), it might have a good balance between a TT and SC.

Did you get to drive the car?? Sometimes lag is easier to feel when you have control of the pedal. Lag isn't always bad, imo, to each is own, especially when it is made up on the top end. In a real race, this thing will always be in full boost except off the line of course, which will make for some real fun......

Last edited by little_rod; 09-18-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Enron Exec

Originally posted by basam350z

BUT I would not be surprised if a Z with this kit installed didn't do better in the quarter mile than a Greddy or PE with the same boost levels, with street tires of course. That lag will give you the "Supra" single turbo affect, if not worse, lots of lag, but will catch up in the end.
A TT setup would be faster in the 1/4 mile because it has more area under the curve. Once traction is not an issue, it is all about power to weight ratio and that doesnt mean just the peak hp, but the area under the curve for which the car will be at when racing.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Corrosive

Thats why 800+hp supra's still only run high 11's at the track; they get traction, but their peak power is where they cant really use it, way at the top. Take it from me a supra owner.
-Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 05:32 AM
zachcrosen

Would this kit work on a 5AT??
Old 09-19-2004, 06:54 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by zachcrosen
Would this kit work on a 5AT??
Not sure about that one. Brad can probably better answer that, but I dont see why not.

As for streetability I think this would actually be MORE streetable then the TT setups. When just into boost at 3k the car is not a whole lot different then stock unless you really get on it. It idles identical to stock.

As for lag.. I understand the principles of the TT setup and area under the curve. I'm sure that max tq in a TT comes up a bit sooner then on this kit due to the proximity of the turbos to the manifold and the nature of their design. However I do not see this kit as being as similar to a single turbo Supra as mentioned. Not to discredit those here who own one as I'm sure you are well versed in that arena. After having been in both that car and a T64 powered Supra during a pretty hard run the lag is significantly less in the Z. I would certainly beg to differ that the useable power is beyond the usable area of the curve on the street. I know that in daily driving I am frequently over 4k ableit not at redline everytime either. Even just into boost between 3k-4k you can certainly feel the boost coming on. At 4k it gets insane. For some this is what they want. Similar to a Centrifig. SC in which you are not building major boost until later so as to minimize the times in which an enormous amount of tq is taking it effects on your rods. I personally have been very interested in an ATI setup for a while and in fact that was my plan. After seeing/riding in this kit my plans have changed. I have ridden in an Stillen SC Z, a Greddy TT Z, and a ATI Z. And of course this one. Of all this one was my favorite. Second would be the ATI, 3rd the Greddy. The Greddy is nice and yes the power comes on quick but honestly this car is my daily driver and I dont want that much power coming on so early ALL THE TIME. Traffic would be ridiculous in the Greddy. Those are of course my opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I see this kit competing more with the cent SC's, rather than the Greddy, PE or APS TT kits. I like the idea of more competion. And with an easier intallation process, and a street price of $4000, I dont see any reason that people would buy an SC over this particular kit.

The only drawback I see is the absolute and permanent eliminate of the cats. I know many of the TT kits are not CARB legal...actually...I think none of them are currently legal. But at least you COULD pass a sniffer test if you ran cats on the Greddy TT or PE kits. Even visual smog would probably be a non issue. But with this kit, the cats are permanently gone.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Regarding the lag....or lack of power down low...doubt you'll notice it as much on the VQ. Rememebr that the Z is a natural trq monster, whereas the Supra uses l low compression pistons, and will feel more sluggish at the bottom end. I imagine part throttle response on the Turbonetics kit is comparable to the Greddy or others.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by gq_626
I see this kit competing more with the cent SC's, rather than the Greddy, PE or APS TT kits. I like the idea of more competion. And with an easier intallation process, and a street price of $4000, I dont see any reason that people would buy an SC over this particular kit.

The only drawback I see is the absolute and permanent eliminate of the cats. I know many of the TT kits are not CARB legal...actually...I think none of them are currently legal. But at least you COULD pass a sniffer test if you ran cats on the Greddy TT or PE kits. Even visual smog would probably be a non issue. But with this kit, the cats are permanently gone.
For now...They are currently working on adding a cat system into this and getting a Carb number...
Old 09-19-2004, 12:49 PM
phile

Damn...that will jack the price up.

If this kit was 4g's I would buy it indefinitely

Won't a single turbo change the linear hp/tq characteristics of our Z though? Linear power may not feel cool, but atleast it's predictable for racing situations.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by phile
Damn...that will jack the price up.

If this kit was 4g's I would buy it indefinitely

Won't a single turbo change the linear hp/tq characteristics of our Z though? Linear power may not feel cool, but atleast it's predictable for racing situations.
What will jack the costs up? The cat system is most likely going to be an option.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

^^^interesting^^^

I wonder how they will accomplish that, since the cats will need to be attached to the mainfold...as close as possible. Otherwise, CARB will not certify them due to decrease "light time" for the cats to reach operating temp.

Have they given a firm ETA on when this kit will be availible to the public? Sorry if it was mentioned somewhere else.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

^^^interesting^^^

I wonder how they will accomplish that, since the cats will need to be attached to the mainfold...as close as possible. Otherwise, CARB will not certify them due to decrease "light time" for the cats to reach operating temp.

Have they given a firm ETA on when this kit will be availible to the public? Sorry if it was mentioned somewhere else.
I'm not sure how the cat will fit in either but given these guys creativity I don't put anything past them. As for official release I didn't get a firm date but from what Brad said official release should be done well before SEMA in NOv.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:55 PM
APS
Banned

^^^interesting^^^

Very interesting thread indeed. On the CARB EO issue I've been advised that the stock cats must be retained in the factory stock position in order to apply and test to the CARB emission standards..

Not taking anything away from the single turbo approach (it does have a certain appeal) though we all need to understand that this approach can not obtain a CARB EO under any circumstances.

Peter

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos