Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by APS
Very interesting thread indeed. On the CARB EO issue I've been advised that the stock cats must be retained in the factory stock position in order to apply and test to the CARB emission standards..

Not taking anything away from the single turbo approach (it does have a certain appeal) though we all need to understand that this approach can not obtain a CARB EO under any circumstances.

Peter
Actually the designer of this kit Jahm formerly of Fmax has made many of his other Nissan kits CARB legal in the past and I'm sure could find a way to make it work to get a cat on there and make it legal. I wouldn't flat out say its not possible. At least not without knowing what they are going to do first. They could merge the flow after the cats couldnt they?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:48 PM
APS
Banned

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Actually the designer of this kit Jahm formerly of Fmax has made many of his other Nissan kits CARB legal in the past and I'm sure could find a way to make it work to get a cat on there and make it legal. I wouldn't flat out say its not possible. At least not without knowing what they are going to do first. They could merge the flow after the cats couldnt they?
From what I've been advised from the CARB the factory cats must be retained in the stock position.................and I mean the two original factory cats.

You can't remove the stock factory cats and then refit an aftermarket cat in the same or in a different position................this does not meet CARB's strict regulations.

Unless I've been completely mislead on this issue (and I don't believe this to be the case) it's impossible to gain an CARB EO for a single turbo, twin turbo, or supercharger kit that does not retain the STOCK cats in the STOCK position.

Maybe you could clarify this issue with the CARB...............the Information I have is only one week old.

Thanks

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 03:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by APS
From what I've been advised from the CARB the factory cats must be retained in the stock position.................and I mean the two original factory cats.

You can't remove the stock factory cats and then refit an aftermarket cat in the same or in a different position................this does not meet CARB's strict regulations.

Unless I've been completely mislead on this issue (and I don't believe this to be the case) it's impossible to gain an CARB EO for a single turbo, twin turbo, or supercharger kit that does not retain the STOCK cats in the STOCK position.

Maybe you could clarify this issue with the CARB...............the Information I have is only one week old.

Thanks

Peter
Not being the deisnger I will defer to allow Brad from Turbonetics answer this....
Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM
APS
Banned

Not being the deisnger I will defer to allow Brad from Turbonetics answer this....
I'm sure that Brad will be aware of the CARB requirements relating to removal of the factory cats and or the change of position of the factory cats.............will be interesting to see what light Brad can shine on this issue.

Thanks

Peter
Old 09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
mrrsx350z

wow! hey what's thier website, i can't seem to find it. thanks for the post.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

Here you go.. http://www.turboneticsinc.com
Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 AM
ColecatZ

www.turboneticsinc.com

you might also find this site to be beneficial ... www.google.com

Old 09-20-2004, 06:28 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
www.turboneticsinc.com

you might also find this site to be beneficial ... www.google.com

Beat you to it....how you like the kit....?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks for sharing the vids MIA, it will be great if the kit does come out priced to compete with the Vortec. Can't wait to hear more about their system as they plan to release it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Juztin
thanks for sharing the vids MIA, it will be great if the kit does come out priced to compete with the Vortec. Can't wait to hear more about their system as they plan to release it.
My pleasure///
Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 AM
ColecatZ

Beat you to it....how you like the kit....?
I like it a lot, actually. I personally feel that it will be the right combination for me. Since the 350 is N/A from the factory and has more than enough torque down low to get out of it’s own way in normal driving, it should make for a very launch able car with less work to maintain traction and still have the strong pull on the big end.

If it is in fact starting to generate boost at 3k, then that should make it perform like stock in everyday running around and only really stress the internals when I really want to stretch the legs. I usually shift around 3500-3800 in general run abouts. I prefer the big end pull over the peaky torque down low anyways. I will be watching for finalized dynos, but I’m pretty much sold as long as a few things get ironed out.

Thanks a ton for the vids and info, I can only imagine what it felt like.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:19 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by ColecatZ
I like it a lot, actually. I personally feel that it will be the right combination for me. Since the 350 is N/A from the factory and has more than enough torque down low to get out of it’s own way in normal driving, it should make for a very launch able car with less work to maintain traction and still have the strong pull on the big end.

If it is in fact starting to generate boost at 3k, then that should make it perform like stock in everyday running around and only really stress the internals when I really want to stretch the legs. I usually shift around 3500-3800 in general run abouts. I prefer the big end pull over the peaky torque down low anyways. I will be watching for finalized dynos, but I’m pretty much sold as long as a few things get ironed out.

Thanks a ton for the vids and info, I can only imagine what it felt like.
Hey man just glad to help out!! Yeah its in boost by 3k. So its pretty much exactly what you described. I drive the same way day to day so this is definitely the kit for me. I prefer to not have gut wrenching amounts tourqe coming up all at once EVERY day in traffic and stuff. Traction is good on this kit unless you are purposely trying to lite em up. I know you were stresing having some form of tuning that you could modify easily. After talking to Brad and Jahm I think its a very real possiblity. I'm not saying they commited to it but it I think I at least explained you guys point of view pretty well. Me personally I'll stick with the reflash. I might add an SAF-C to it later for minor tuning but my main solution will be the reflash.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:56 AM
DrVolkl

Looks pretty sweet. I couldn't get the videos to work tho...can someone host them or send them to me? erloberg@msn.com

I think this unit and APS's unit is pretty sweet. For me it's going to come down to passing emissions. I don't care about carb #'s as much as making sure it passes the sniff test. I need to be able to put those cat's on every other year.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by DrVolkl
Looks pretty sweet. I couldn't get the videos to work tho...can someone host them or send them to me? erloberg@msn.com

I think this unit and APS's unit is pretty sweet. For me it's going to come down to passing emissions. I don't care about carb #'s as much as making sure it passes the sniff test. I need to be able to put those cat's on every other year.
What did it say when you tried to download the videos? Did you try to right click and choose "save target as"? I just downloaded them from my site and they seem to work ok...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
zimbo

I prefer to not have gut wrenching amounts tourqe coming up all at once EVERY day in traffic and stuff.
Having spent plenty of time with a Vortech supercharger @ 9psi on my car previously and the PE TT at up to 9psi now, I can assure you that this is a NON-ISSUE. If you don't want gut-wrenching torque then simply don't go wide-open throttle. It takes a grand total of about 5 minutes for your foot to figure out how to modulate boost.

--Steve
Old 09-20-2004, 09:37 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video's work....they just take awhile to down load .This system looks very nice....the power comes on sooner than my Vortech......thinking I wish I would have waited
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
g356gear

Any info available on fuel management?.....bigger injectors? for this kit???? I realize the TS reflash can control slightly larger injectors like the 380 's and timing......but what if we want to chase some big power???
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 AM
MIAPLAYA

Yes the kit comes with 380 CC injectors and Turbonetics has some 550CC injectors pending testing. They were going to put those in but since they are using the reflash to do their tuning there is no current way to scale back the 550s. With the 380cc injectors in, timing pulled via reflash they got 11.5:1 A/F across the board all the way to redline. I just left Brad from Turbonetics a voicemail to ask a couple of the questions I couldn't answer. Being the VP its hard for him to get on here much. For those who had questions I couldn't answer, I'm working on it.,.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 AM
MIAPLAYA

Yes the kit comes with 380 CC injectors and Turbonetics has some 550CC injectors pending testing. They were going to put those in but since they are using the reflash to do their tuning there is no current way to scale back the 550s. With the 380cc injectors in, timing pulled via reflash they got 11.5:1 A/F across the board all the way to redline. I just left Brad from Turbonetics a voicemail to ask a couple of the questions I couldn't answer. Being the VP its hard for him to get on here much. For those who had questions I couldn't answer, I'm working on it.,.
I just re-read your post and realized you were asking about bigger then 380CC. I know the E-manage can scale injectors so technically if you added that to the flashed ECU you could further scale bigger injectors. The turbo is good to over 650 so you can certainly go for the gusto if so desired....
Old 09-20-2004, 12:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

~

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos