Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:18 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: answers

Originally posted by Turbonetics

A question for Peter...or any other twin manufacturers... do your twin turbo's mount after the CAT's to try and retain the stock location? if so does the turbo's mount under the car or how is the turbine response effected? or oil return to the pan handled? I am sure what ever combination you guy come up with will be great...I have seen some of your other applications (Subaru) and they are very impressive from both the quality of the systems as well as the performance. whatever you guys are doing down under keep it up becasue if there is one thing the forced induction market needs is good quality products. it's great to offer more than one solution, it provided people with options.

Brad
Hi Brad,

Great to catch up with you again (long time no see) and congratulations to Turbonectics for single turbo system.............Knowing you and Turbonectics I'm sure this will be an excellent performance product and I wish you every success.

Now Brad to your question.

We locate the Twin Garrett dual ball beraing Turbos pre cats, this way we can retain the cats in the stock position and with any luck this won't reduce the cat light up time- which I hope will provide APS with every chance of gaining a CARB exemption order for the APS TT system.

As the turbos are mounted above the oil pan height APS utilises a gravity feed for the oil return...............returning the turbo lubrication oil back to the oil pan.

Brad thanks for your kind words on APS products........... like Turbonectics we are very dedicated to thorough engineering and development of turbo products and systems..............as you know we have a good deal of respect for Turbonectics products and the Founder of the Turbonectics business.

It's fantastic to have you guys in the 350Z community..............I know we can work well with you guys at any time and that customers will benefit from your involvement in the Z car

I look foward to catching up with you at SEMA this year.

Peter

APS
Old 09-24-2004, 04:22 PM
G3po

Default Re: Re: answers

Originally posted by APS
Hi Brad,

Great to catch up with you again (long time no see) and congratulations to Turbonectics for single turbo system.............Knowing you and Turbonectics I'm sure this will be an excellent performance product and I wish you every success.

Now Brad to your question.

We locate the Twin Garrett dual ball beraing Turbos pre cats, this way we can retain the cats in the stock position and with any luck this won't reduce the cat light up time- which I hope will provide APS with every chance of gaining a CARB exemption order for the APS TT system.

As the turbos are mounted above the oil pan height APS utilises a gravity feed for the oil return...............returning the turbo lubrication oil back to the oil pan.

Brad thanks for your kind words on APS products........... like Turbonectics we are very dedicated to thorough engineering and development of turbo products and systems..............as you know we have a good deal of respect for Turbonectics products and the Founder of the Turbonectics business.

It's fantastic to have you guys in the 350Z community..............I know we can work well with you guys at any time and that customers will benefit from your involvement in the Z car

I look foward to catching up with you at SEMA this year.

Peter

APS
Every TT system I've seen places the snails pre-CAT, as does APS.
From a technical point of view WRT the question:
"mounting Turbos post CAT?" .

Peter , I can't fathom anyone even attempting this . Seems to me that:

a) the CAT (s)would function very poorly, they need high heat to operate. So pretty much whats the point.

b) the CATs wick enourmous heat from the exhaust flow which would seriously reduce Turbo spool efficiency. As would the extraneoisly long plumbing that would be required.

Technically this method sounds like a "loose-loose" propositon.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Turbonetics application fits me more since it involves ECU program and less fiddly with engine management.

Since I'm not much of a racer, but yearn for the the turbo feel and BOV sound... this might suit my price range.

APS TT would be nice though.. :-), but it might be overkill for me.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally posted by djtonium
Looks like the Turbonetics application fits me more since it involves ECU program and less fiddly with engine management.

Since I'm not much of a racer, but yearn for the the turbo feel and BOV sound... this might suit my price range.

APS TT would be nice though.. :-), but it might be overkill for me.
exactly.........especially with all my N/A mods....
Old 09-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd be curious to see the spool characterstics with aftermarket headers like Nismo, etc...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Juztin
I'd be curious to see the spool characterstics with aftermarket headers like Nismo, etc...
Ditto. It'd be interesting to see if the extra flow from aftermarket headers actually reduced the spool up time..
Old 09-25-2004, 05:25 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

sorry for my ignorant question, but what are the benefits of having a single turbo i/o a twin turbo setup? I know TT will has less lag due to one of them spooling before, but can you guys give me a pro's/con's brief list?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Fëanor

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Ditto. It'd be interesting to see if the extra flow from aftermarket headers actually reduced the spool up time..
I'd wager that aftermarket headers would hurt spool time since they all have quite a bit more internal volume than the stock headers. That volume will take slightly longer to pressurize, and hence the turbo will take a bit more time to respond.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:18 AM
redline350ZZ

What is the most efficent boost level of this turbo??????

Im the type of customer that would rather have a smaller turbo that optimizes boost at say 6psi and have to upgrade the turbo later......... 650whp or more capability is a waste right now.....

would turbonetics be able to provide me with a smaller turbo in this setup????

I only want 6psi max for the time being.......maybe a year later I would want more......

Im no expert but 360whp with my N/A mods........3.917 gears and 8lb flywheel would be more than enough.....

This is the right F/I path for me right?????
Old 09-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Bahnstoermer

Hmm, I'm having saving issues with the vids also. No matter what I do, it only saves the link and won't download the target.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

hehehehe I was at the shop that the turbonetics Z got dynod at yesterday.......put down some interesting numbers. I won't say them but I really want to know the price of this thing. the shop owner said it was a really gorgeous kit.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:03 PM
APS
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: answers

Originally posted by G3po
Every TT system I've seen places the snails pre-CAT, as does APS.
From a technical point of view WRT the question:
"mounting Turbos post CAT?" .

Peter , I can't fathom anyone even attempting this . Seems to me that:

a) the CAT (s)would function very poorly, they need high heat to operate. So pretty much whats the point.

b) the CATs wick enourmous heat from the exhaust flow which would seriously reduce Turbo spool efficiency. As would the extraneoisly long plumbing that would be required.

Technically this method sounds like a "loose-loose" propositon.
Yeah I agree it's best to have the turbos positioned pre cat from a spool and emission point of view (quicker turbo response) and it's my guess having the turbo positioned pre cats may be difficult to achieve due to the turbo location on a single turbo system.

I guess there's pros and cons for all types on FI be it single turbo, twin turbo, or supercharging.................not being able to retain the Nissan cats in the factory position may well prove to be the biggest downfall of the large single turbo approach, if CARB approval is considered important.

Peter

APS

Last edited by APS; 09-25-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:57 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by redline350ZZ
What is the most efficent boost level of this turbo??????

Im the type of customer that would rather have a smaller turbo that optimizes boost at say 6psi and have to upgrade the turbo later......... 650whp or more capability is a waste right now.....

would turbonetics be able to provide me with a smaller turbo in this setup????

I only want 6psi max for the time being.......maybe a year later I would want more......

Im no expert but 360whp with my N/A mods........3.917 gears and 8lb flywheel would be more than enough.....

This is the right F/I path for me right?????
Turbonetics is pretty good about taking care of customer needs. I would contact them to see what they can doo for you. They are certainly willing to help.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is the turbo pre-cats, or after cats? I'm just wondering if I will have to custom fab Injen exhaust/race-pipes.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:10 PM
redline350ZZ

yeah as soon as I can see a picture of the underneath of the car I can start planing my custom exhaust mod's... I have an Injen exhaust also....

Im still planning on getting headers as of right now... will turnonetics be able to release some info on whether or not headers will hurt there system????
Old 09-26-2004, 05:50 PM
basam350z

Come on, what did it put down, otherwise your post was completely useless.

Originally posted by x350Zx
hehehehe I was at the shop that the turbonetics Z got dynod at yesterday.......put down some interesting numbers. I won't say them but I really want to know the price of this thing. the shop owner said it was a really gorgeous kit.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

I don't know if turbonetics would appreciate me disclosing it but lets just say it wasn't past 400 but was well over 300. sorry I really don't want to get in trouble w/ turbonetics.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:19 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i understand secrecy but, when you were told was it under confidence or just out in the open?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:40 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well the kit made 409 prior to tuning so it shuold be just south of that.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:41 AM
redline350ZZ

I would be more interested to see how the powerband looks...... from the begining of boost till redline....... Peak power is ok but how does it build up?????

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos