Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zimbo
What's with the tildes, MiaPlaya? There's no need to artificially bump this thread.

--Steve
Yeah I had a couple broswer windows open and accidentally posted the replies on this thread instead of another. Edited out...Sorry...
Old 09-22-2004, 12:33 PM
turbo-maxima

He didn't do any wid eopen throttle runs 1st through 3rd gear runs? Can't really see how boost is coming on. That turbo manifold seems really ineffeciant. 3.0 liter maximas are getting full boost with a normal 60-1 no stage 5 or bb and getting full boost with it at 3500 rpm and making boost at 2800 rpm. You have more liters, plus more aggresive timing, plus stage 5 wheel and bb and can only get full boost at 4000 rpm? Something is definitly wrong. Get a 3 inch exhuast on that and report what rpm your getting full boost at. You should be making full boost at like 3000 rpm with that turbo.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
He didn't do any wid eopen throttle runs 1st through 3rd gear runs? Can't really see how boost is coming on. That turbo manifold seems really ineffeciant. 3.0 liter maximas are getting full boost with a normal 60-1 no stage 5 or bb and getting full boost with it at 3500 rpm and making boost at 2800 rpm. You have more liters, plus more aggresive timing, plus stage 5 wheel and bb and can only get full boost at 4000 rpm? Something is definitly wrong. Get a 3 inch exhuast on that and report what rpm your getting full boost at. You should be making full boost at like 3000 rpm with that turbo.
]
The beginning of the video was from 1st through like 4th i think. It is running through the stock 2.5" exhaust so yeah with a 3 inch it will spool up quicker. Plus this 60-1 has a very different wheel then their other applications.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 09-22-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM
turbo-maxima

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
]
The beginning of the video was from 1st through like 4th i think. It is running through the stock 2.5" exhaust so yeah with a 3 inch it will spool up quicker. Plus this 60-1 has a very different wheel then their other applications.
Not really 4 inch compressor, usually 3 inch v-band.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:02 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by turbo-maxima
Not really 4 inch compressor, usually 3 inch v-band.
I actually dont have the exact specs for this unit. I just know that when I was up there Brad mentioned that this was a much different compressor wheel then what they have on some of their other 60-1 units...I'm sure he could give you a better idea as to what the difference is...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd be interested in a "tuner" kit
Old 09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for an answer to my question at the top of page 2.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:23 AM
redline350ZZ

Need more pic's...and some of the underbody...also more info on the tuner kit cause I already have a TECHNO SQ reflash...... will it be possible to accomidate a 6.4psi boost with a SUPER AFC-
II?????

I'll need to plan a custom exhaust.... I'll be modifying my INJEN.....

Does Techno SQ already have info about there boost MAP's????

Will my KINETIX plenum explode???? LOL

So many questions and so much money to spend.... must do something now....... Im ordering my 350EVO gears............

**********(5 minutes later)************

Alright they are ordered......that was close...... I can hold off from a turbo for atleast two weeks now.....

Last edited by redline350ZZ; 09-23-2004 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:48 AM
MIAPLAYA

This kit should be out soon.. I left Brad a vm about your questions..
Old 09-23-2004, 10:48 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

hmmmm, this intrigues me, and i never wanted single turbo.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 PM
MIAPLAYA

Alright guys I just got off the phone wth Brad from Turbonetics...he said he should have the answers for your questions on here tonight.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Alright guys I just got off the phone wth Brad from Turbonetics...he said he should have the answers for your questions on here tonight.
PS: Something else he mentioned...a few dealers up in the NY area may soon be selling this kit as an option out the door with new 350Zs... Keep an eye out..
Old 09-23-2004, 03:55 PM
redline350ZZ

Interesting....why this kit????? could it be the safest kit ????
Old 09-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by daytona350z
how much psi does the "stock" kit run?
also, if i think about this, how the kit bolts up to the header outlet of the cats, would it be possible to run some type of headers on this thing?

this is an interesting design.
any idea on pricing?
as it sit currently we are planning to release the kit set at 7.5psi. I am assuming that the aftermarket headers have the same outline (flange locations) and if so there should no fitment issues but without trying it we just can't be sure.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Turbonetics

Originally posted by phile
Thanks for posting your accounts and the vid. It sounds like a solid setup. How much hp is it putting down again?

I have another question. What is the difference between a "tuner kit" and the normal kit? I mean, the normal version is obviously tunable also...
the tuner version would simply be without fuel/ignition managment
Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Turbonetics

Default answers

First, thanks to all for your interest in this system we have been reading through everybody's input and will attempt to answer as much as I can.

Fuel managment - currently we are still running the TS flash and while it seems to work well on our car not sure it's for the masses with the input you guys have provided. if we do offer a version with the TS flash our plans are to purchase the software from Tadashi so we could flash and or modify in-house. this means we would include the flash as part of the purchase price and put a postage pre-paid ECU box in the kit for shipping. We are still trying other systems at this point. A tuner version was not originally planned but it's pretty clear there is a need or at least a want for such a system so there will most likely be a seperate part number set up for this.

5AT - no answer for you on this issue as of now...sorry

CAT issues - the location of the CAT seems to be a grey area, the car was in fact certified with the CATs in thier stock locations, does this mean an aftermarket CAT in an alternate location can not be certified?? I have yet to get a straight answer out of CARB. you can call two different people and get two different answers but when questioned the response has been well...it's kind of a grey area. One thing about California is there are no emissions testing for the first 5 yeas of ownership of a new car, that means your 2003 350Z will not be tested until 2008.
A question for Peter...or any other twin manufacturers... do your twin turbo's mount after the CAT's to try and retain the stock location? if so does the turbo's mount under the car or how is the turbine response effected? or oil return to the pan handled? I am sure what ever combination you guy come up with will be great...I have seen some of your other applications (Subaru) and they are very impressive from both the quality of the systems as well as the performance. whatever you guys are doing down under keep it up becasue if there is one thing the forced induction market needs is good quality products. it's great to offer more than one solution, it provided people with options.

Release Date - we are shooting for after SEMA or late Nov-Dec time frame. We actually manufacture all the turbochargers, wastegates, by-pass valves and intercoolers in house, all of which additional production to cover the release of this system have been started and are on schedule. Items that could delay introduction would be the engine managment and production capacity (vendor ralated) of the mandrel bend stainless tubing. The system on our test mule is all carbon steel pipes that we hand fabricated and ceramic coated. In production the plan is for all the exhaust side of the system to be stainless both to and from the turbocharger and the boost tubes to and from the intercooler will be aluminum with a finish we call black chrome. a very deep, dark and shinny finish that shows no fingerprints and wipes off easy.

Turbocharger selection - as mentioned before the kit will be released with the 60-1 compressor and a stage 5 turbine as this was the best match for the application out of the box however this can easley be upgraded to the 62-1 or more...and could go up to a "P" size turbine wheel. This would have to be a custom one off type of order but for those not familulare with Turbonetics we literally make hundreds of combinations from 130hp to 2,500hp in a single turbo configuration or pair them up and double the power or compound them and multiply the boost to make over 200psi. We are very flexible, when it comes to turbocharger size and selection it's not go to the shelf and get the box...one size fits all type of product...or it should not be anyway.

Outcome of the run against the EVO was favorable to Robert and myself...I guess I should have given him a card because we have a bunch of upgrades for that car as well.

Exhaust - well as discussed earlier the initial testing was done with an aftermarket exhaust with and without the bolt-in insert and was still outperformed by the stock exhaust. The car is going to well known aftermarket exhaust manufacturer tomorrow for a prototype exhaust, adjustable struts with springs...should be fun. We will make some additional dyno runs late next week.

I hope this covers most of your questions. I will continue to monitor the thread and reply the best I can. Again thanks for everybody's interest and feed back, this is what drives performance companies like Turbonetics, APS, Greddy, HKS, Vortech and API and all the other ones out there to make great products for power hungry enthusiast like yourselves.

Brad
Old 09-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

you da man!
now all i have to do is save up
Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by Jun
you da man!
now all i have to do is save up
You took the words out of my mouth...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 AM
redline350ZZ

I already have the money I just need some confidence about reliability... I only want 6psi... cause of my 3.917 EVO gears and Tilton flywheel.......

could I get a smaller turbo with less lag since I only want 6-8psi?????
Old 09-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

You took the words out of my mouth...
anyone know the going rate for a healthy kidney in the black market?

we can live with one, right?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos