Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Turbonetics kit is similar starts building around 2500 but full boost is at 4k
Old 01-05-2005, 10:43 AM
More Power

Originally posted by alpine
Start building? My APS TT is 2500 and full boost within 3500
Hey Alpine, NICE kill on the 04/05 Corvette coupe and AMG recently. Bet they got a BIG surprise, he he. Additude adjustments that teach respect for 350Zs are sweet. More Power to ya. Bet you already know this, but boost is very addictive! Been there, done that, hope to be able to do it again by next mid summer, ha.

I think you are probably a road course track guy, but be nice if you could go to the drag strip this spring and post some times for us. You need to join the 12 second club, anyway. Dare I say and hope for you...the magic 11s?!? I hope to join that (at least the 12 second anyway) club by next fall.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 AM
alpine

Originally posted by More Power
Hey Alpine, NICE kill on the 04/05 Corvette coupe and AMG recently. Bet they got a BIG surprise, he he. Additude adjustments that teach respect for 350Zs are sweet. More Power to ya. Bet you already know this, but boost is very addictive! Been there, done that, hope to be able to do it again by next mid summer, ha.

I think you are probably a road course track guy, but be nice if you could go to the drag strip this spring and post some times for us. You need to join the 12 second club, anyway. Dare I say and hope for you...the magic 11s?!? I hope to join that (at least the 12 second anyway) club by next fall.
Hey thanks, yea I am very much for the "attitude adjustment"

yes boost is very addictive, and yes I am a road course guy. Althought the speed/time does interesting me, anyone can go straight.... No offense to the strip guys, it's just not for me.

I dont doubt I have a 12 sec car now, driven right it should get to those magic 11's. I just need to see if I can get around to driving it right.

I will get there though, I do have to improve on my launches, it's much harder than I thought it would be.

My current problem seems to be tire size. I went from my Nittos to Kumho MX, and yes I have more traction, but not necessarily at launch, and although I have so much more power, if I just let up a little to begin with, with the hopes to "catch up" it rarely works like that if they get a good launch.

I guess what I need is 10.5/11" wide tires in the back... which means I need some nice wheels, and ANOTHER set of tires, which are a a bunch of money, and I'm tapped for the near future.

I had a stock G kill me, although that was with my nittos (I'm sure he's still all jazzed about that) and the last event was with a WRX 340whp (he stated) where off the line performance wasn't good enoguh. The problem with the WRX incident was the roacd condition itself. The asphault was broken up, almost like "gravel pieces" where I launched from. After the first launch, we didn't get on the line again. The WRX with AWD made quick work of that. In that first 2-3 seconds he was 3 car lengths ahead of me, and was going all out. I caught him 5 seconds later... but that's 5 seconds later.

Of course after rolling, the WRX couldn't touch me.

And as previously mentioned, it's not too often that Z's put these higher power/more capable cars down so it is surprising to those who experience it.

There was an event, that doesn't count as a kill, that involved an older Supra. He actually started coming, and I'm sure he figured he'd just blow by me.

I was at 40 something, hanging out in 4th gear, dropped to 2nd the moment he reached my tail, and by the time we were nose to nose, I was pulling him all the way through 4th. I would have suspected by the time he reached my tail, he was in the 60mph range. And clearly accellerating hard.

He was within 3-4 car lengths, but you could tell he was surprised. We did another couple runs, and it was the same story, but with him it was never off the line due to traffic & light timing.

When he caught up with me, I asked him "bet you didn't expect that", and he and some another person that was in the car were just shocked, I let him in on the 400hp (approx dyno jet, 377 D.T.S. Dyno)with twin turbos. we were all laughing.

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
More Power

Very impressive race with the Supra. Some of them are BAD fast. A buddy of mine had a highly modified Supra with mucho power. But it was real peaky, lots of lag, and not that great as a daily driver.

Yes, I know of what you speak regarding AWD and launching. I won the 1992 Buick and Turbo Racers Club of America Spring Nationals Turbo Drag Race with my HKS Stage VI++ Mitsu Eclipse GSX turbo AWD. You are correct. It is soooo easy to get a great launch with that car and cars of the genre. I just revved to 5200 rpms and dropped the clutch and could pull over 1G coming out of the hole and 1.6 60 ft. times. I was not the fastest car there that day among mostly Buick Grand Nationals and turbo Pontiac Regals. As it was bracket racing, running consistently on the ol dial in is what did the trick. And getting those easy consistent AWD launches really really helped. But I like my 350Z much much better than the Eclipse as an all around performer - especially the low rpm torque and torque coming out the other end of curves as you know. Man I do love clipping apexes with my 350Z even though it is still pure stock at this point. But when I get forced induction (probably the APS single turbo this summer), I will have my old Eclipse more than covered on power as well.

What a lot of guys in your situation do is just buy 2 new rims, for the rear only, and mount Mickey Thompson ET slicks on them. Just use them at the drag strip. You probably don't want that much expense (MT ETs) since you mostly race other than the strip. You might pick up some used ones, but still in good shape, for not a lot of $. But, I guaran damn T you that you could get 1.6 sec. 60 ft times if you did get the MTs. And it would be much easier for you to get a good launch after only a few trys. A good bit better traction than the drag radials. I have friend running 1.6 sec. 60 ft. times with his 350Z with MT ETs that he bought used. And that would translate to your magic 11s most likely.

I also like the Turbonetics single turbo, but I am leaning toward the APS single turbo now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't APS the ONLY FI kit right now that has a fuel return line in the standard kit? This attention to detail is very impressive, but the Turbonetics single turbo for our cars will be also be a strong perfomer no doubt. Good luck. Please continue to write up kills and things you learn about your setup. And I'd like to hear this posted from the Turbonetics guys as well. Right now some of us are living vicariously through you while we bide our time and plot our wicked forced induction future conspiracies, he he. Good luck!!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

It has a fuel return port not line. It uses a FPR and dumps the excess directly back into the tank. Its not a fuel rail return its returned at the pump. I have not seen the Turbonetics upgrade for the fuel pump yet so I would say to wait until you see that. Turbonetics has a habit of surprising people.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:40 AM
More Power

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
It has a fuel return port not line. It uses a FPR and dumps the excess directly back into the tank. Its not a fuel rail return its returned at the pump. I have not seen the Turbonetics upgrade for the fuel pump yet so I would say to wait until you see that. Turbonetics has a habit of surprising people.
Hey thanks. I thought I'd read somewhere that APS had a fuel return line but I knew it had a fuel return system of some type. I was really hoping that someone could post about the specifics and details on this as I was not completely sure of all the details. I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how Turbonetics handles this as well. Thought I'd read somewhere that Turbonetics did not have a fuel return system on the standard kit, but I wasn't completely sure of that either. And I readily concede that you have more detailed knowledge of the Turbonectics single turbo than me. And I'm sure that it will be a worthy competititor to the APS single. I know that you have compared the APS and Turbonetics singles somewhat in your posts. But it will be interesting to hear your bottom line assessement of these 2 single turbo kits once all the details, like the fuel systems, are available. I think the APS will cost more so of course that has to be factored in as well. I expect both kits to turn out as very impressive and superior in several ways to the centrifugal superchargers in that price range. This type of competition among manufactures is very beneficial to us end users in any case. Good luck!

I was initially impressed somewhat with the HKS centrifugal supercharger even though it does not deliver the power of these 2 single turbo kits that we're discussing here. But I have read a lot lately that the HKS is running rich and having EMS problems with the '04 350Zs. Because of ECU tweeks Nissan made to the '04 and thereafter 350Zs that apparently HKS does not have accounted for correctly???? And the HKS fuel system setup/2 auxilliary injectors seems considerably less impressive as well to me. I can't even run a high flow plenum with HKS without buying the F Con V pro (considerable additional! cost!) and tuning. HKS should make the v pro as an initial buying OPTION instead of the S rather than having to buy the S whether you want it or not IMO. This and other perceived advantages have really pushed me strongly toward the single turbo set up at this point.

Thanks for all the great info.

Last edited by More Power; 01-06-2005 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Something to add to you post... the Turbonetics kit will be using a TS reflash for tuning so when you are sending you ECU for the flash you could let them know what other mods you have and they can take those into account as well.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
alpine

Talking New kills...

Mia, soon these posts'll be yours

Last night, ahem... this morning after 1AM 405, right around LAX...

I'm cruising at 60 something, due to construction and CHP baby sitting. I have a Porsche 911/carrera, coming up on my right 7+ car lengths (CL) back.

At first I figure this will be a casual run so I stay in 6th and bring the accelerating down 10/15%... which smoothly brings me into the upper 80s in a second or so.

The Porsche is still coming, stronger than before, now within 4-5 CL.

I'm still casually accelerating, and now into the mid 90's.

Porsche still coming, within 3 car lengths.

Boost is on, and in the sweet spot, we're nearing 100 and I drop it.

he was within 2 cl when I dropped it and I just pulled away, within a couple seconds we're in the 120 range and the Porsche is still coming but I'm killing him.

Pre 130 I let off, he does equally and he changes lanes to be behind me, while we drop into mid 80's, to deal with some traffic.

We both get over to the fast lane, and he's coming again.

This time I drop to 4th, take it through pre rev, drop into 5th take it through 5500 before I let off, and the Porsche was 4/5 CL back.

We did this a couple more times, and each time it was just a killing. He apparently got tired of it and started to hang back. I was going to do the same but then we came upon a Lemans, convertible, and we passed it, there was a platinum blond chick driving it. (not into blonds unfortunately).

I guess she saw us playing earlier, because she started coming too.

The Porsche either dropped back, or got off, because I didn't see it anymore.

So with the lemans coming, I did the same thing, but I actually dropped down to 5th to cruise at 80 until she caught up.

she's coming hard! I let her get on my tail, and drop it all on her. Just as we are neck and neck. and I know she's at wot I just pull away with ease...

She keeps coming though.... end up into 6th plus 120 range and she's still coming... we're coming up on wilshire, and traffic, and as I already proved my point, I let off.

She eventually passes me and she's still driving aggressively approaching the hill, she got off at sunset

Then I remember I didn't verify what the Porsche was....

Sorry about that guys.

In either case, it was a good 15 minute boosting experience!

I don't care for the Z on Z killing but sometimes you gotta do whatchya gotta do.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:00 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Unless the porsche is a TT, I think you would kill the rest of them with your set up....
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
alpine

Originally posted by zland
Unless the porsche is a TT, I think you would kill the rest of them with your set up....
Not really, the 911 turbo puts has 400bhp, so I figured they are also in the 350/375 rwhp as am I.

The 911 turbo is technically a superior car, and with a superior driver, the z doesn't stand a chance off the line, but already rolling I'd say that wouldn't make a difference.

I was suggesting that the 911 was a turbo because of the fact that I didn't just completely kill it because as it didn't gain, it didn't fall behind too quickly when I assume we were both at WOT in the appropriate gears.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
More Power

Originally posted by alpine
Not really, the 911 turbo puts has 400bhp, so I figured they are also in the 350/375 rwhp as am I.

The 911 turbo is technically a superior car, and with a superior driver, the z doesn't stand a chance off the line, but already rolling I'd say that wouldn't make a difference.

I was suggesting that the 911 was a turbo because of the fact that I didn't just completely kill it because as it didn't gain, it didn't fall behind too quickly when I assume we were both at WOT in the appropriate gears.
You dirty dog, you! You are having more fun than a man should be allowed to endure! ha. Serious giggles! Hope to join you in the "Oh, Lady of Sacred Acceleration, don't fail me now!" boost club soon. I just love the sound of turbos spooling when the red mist rises, he he. God help me, but I do love it so!!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:06 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

what is a lemans?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:11 PM
alpine

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
what is a lemans?
Sunset/Gold.... Whatever....
Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

oh a z, forgot about the color :P
Old 01-07-2005, 10:00 PM
sbcbaseball

Very nice Alpine ..This is Al from OC gonna have to come to the valley so u can take me for a ride bro..
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Alpine, do you have Valentine one or Passport 8500? You are having too much fun and worried you might get tagged with a costly ticket.

There was a post within the last few days regarding how to beat a ticket even if they have radar. You might want to keep it in mind.

It is a lot easier for me to keep the speend down with my NA Z.

Jeff - zland
Old 01-08-2005, 05:00 PM
alpine

Originally posted by sbcbaseball
Very nice Alpine ..This is Al from OC gonna have to come to the valley so u can take me for a ride bro..
Al!

Hey man... been a while.

Yea coming out to valley would make it farily easy, just give me a couple hours notice so that I can untangle myself.

Did you do anything else with your car?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
alpine

Originally posted by zland
Alpine, do you have Valentine one or Passport 8500? You are having too much fun and worried you might get tagged with a costly ticket.

There was a post within the last few days regarding how to beat a ticket even if they have radar. You might want to keep it in mind.

It is a lot easier for me to keep the speend down with my NA Z.

Jeff - zland
I was about to get a valentine one, that seems to be the one that gives me the best feeling.

The passport is clearly a contender as well.

Here is how I figure that goes. If you're not paying attention, when you are doing things you shouldn't being doing to begin with, electronic detection isn't really going to help.

It would help more when you are NOT intentionally doing the wrong thing, and that I don't do very much.

I'm on... .Or I'm cool...

can you point me to this post you are referring to? I've seen various statements about how to get out of tickets, but they always seem "gimmicky" and there has been little to no proof of it, so I'd discount anythihg I've seen so to date.

As far as having fun, this is why I got a Z. Yes the TT kit I'm having more of it, but no more often than I was before.

I've mentioned this before. It doesn't make it right, but I'm paying a lot of attention, and being highly considerate of others, and the surroundings when I'm playing.

I just wish I could say that for most other people.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The name of the thread is "How to Beat a Radar Ticket in California" by a users name of Egbert Souse.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
sbcbaseball

Alpine,

I have done nothing else to my car. I'm still trying to pay my cc from previous mods but the tt is next no doubt. Did the oil catch fix that prblem you were having?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos