Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 04:44 PM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimRHIT
OK. Well, your comment led me to believe it was a product v. product question. It appeared that you wanted to question why turbonetics would raise a speed limiter to "allow" for more risk in the setup.[/QUOTE

Already clarified that it was not P v P, so that's not an issue. I figured since I didn't say "this is bad" or "mine is better than yours" that no one would take it that way.

As in many cases, "you just can't win".

Those that take the car to those speeds are crazy, unless at a closed track where that speed is safely do-able ... who knows.

Of course those speeds are crazy, I'd like to believe we all know that, and of course there are proper places for that.

Like I said, been there, done that.

What most people don't consider, is that the worst thing you can do in general is make 150mph (insert MPH as desired) runs back to back (who knows how many times) with FI.

The turbonetics product is no more/less dangerous than another product in these cases.

BUT, it appeared to me that you were raising "concerns" to indirectly/or directly question this product that could bring forth some doubt to some potential buyers.

Didn't suggest buy/don't buy. It was more like "something to think about when you're considering what to do with your car".

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Raising limits is one of them. Sorry, perhaps stuff like that should just be left in Public Service Announcements.

Again, not a product bash.

I personally do not gain from the lack of Turbonetics kits sold, or gain from the number of APS kits sold, so there is no benefit to me, nor any goal to lead customers to/away from any product.

I mean honestly, should it really concern anyone that the speed limiter is gone?

No it's not a problem, I'm all for it, it goes back to the statement about running at those speeds, back to back, but apparently heat soak, and it's "problems" aren't really something to worry about.

In conversations/messaging with various people (considerably knowledgable/experiecened in these topics [professionals/experts]) I got varying degrees of "concern" about some of the topics I raised. That is why I brought them here.

I know you are not an expert on the car, you don't even know the rev limit of it....c'mon ... know your car man

You're kidding right? Yes I know the rev limit, I already commented about that. If you READ the post, It was quoted from a previous reply.

Thanks for that... that's what I think is great (sarcasticly) What was the point of that?

Just because I didn't immediately post "you're wrong, the rev limiter is not 6200, it's 6700, so you don't know what you're talking about"

I'm not driven to respond in that fashion, without need.

It was already mentioned once or twice, can't we all just get along?

Yes, this is an informational thread, we reply here to q+a. That is why I replied, because you were doing what I percieved to be misinformational.

Perception can be a problem, that's why it's better error on the side of caution when someone ISN'T saying "your product sucks" and "don't buy this product", "my product is better than yours".

I think my favorite was "I got 10K that says a turbonetics motor blows up". Although ultimately he also intended it as a general statement of modifications and potential adverse affects.

You know what? I got 10K that a stock motor blows up.

Your repsonses were set into a defensive mode without cause.

You made a mistake (we all do) and questioned the rev limit ... causing doubt in the minds of other potential customers, making this product seem "dangerous" to the engine.

Asking questions, is not a mistake. Bashing without fact, is a mistake.

Again, I believe you have to pay attention when reading posts. If you see "this product is dangerous don't buy it" then respond accordingly.

You could have posted information as to how Heat Soak is not a concern like Robert did; He also threw in some backlash but it wasn't his focal point.

Or how raising the speed limiter is not a technical problem, and merely needs to be respected by the driver as with all things performance.

You chose not too.

BTW, this is not the "least bit thing", rather me calling you out on bringing up what I though to be misinformation and irrelavent questions that to some could be misinterpreted.

Then state your responses as such.

(why is this great?)

One problem with TEXT is that you can not see facial expressions and tones, it was a sarcastic statement.

My previous question, and our mutual responses should be sufficient at this point to serve as guidelines for future readers and posters.

Last edited by alpine; 02-11-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:03 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we can all agree that no 'kit' is going to be all positives and no negatives. The only way to come up with such a package is to hand-pick every piece, and even then you will probably come across some compromises.

It's important to realize that while this kit may not be the end all be all of forced induction, it does sound like a REALLY good solution, especially for the price.

I also think it's a good thing for people to pick apart the specs of the kit because what will ultimately result is that people will realize how minor the shortcomings really are in comparison to the value that this kit delivers.

Just my $.02 worth, and I look forward to driving impressions, pics, and vids. Thanks MIAPLAYA.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 PM
thrifiddytt

Just about to put on the exedy CarbonCarbon clutch for this....think my wife already put my stuff outside....so then I got gauges and now looking for headers....
Old 02-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by thrifiddytt
Just about to put on the exedy CarbonCarbon clutch for this....think my wife already put my stuff outside....so then I got gauges and now looking for headers....
You've already bought the clutch? How many discs/plates is it? If you haven't bought it yet, look at ATS' clutch and talk to Sharif (gq_626).
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
NissanJunkie

Default Re: A couple concerns...

Originally posted by alpine
About the recent info about modifications to the ECU.

(1) Raising REV limiter

Is this really something that is "wise" to do ?

I'm not en engineer, and I am not an expert, so I can't
give you "real" reasons why not to but I have a couple
common sense type concerns.

I think our engine is built for 7500RPM ? Right?

So Turbonetics is raising from 6200 to 6700, right?

Why?

This is going to allow the engine to run closer to a point
of failure.

We are already aware of weaknesses in the motor, why
would you want to press it closer to failure?

How much of the performance that the kit is offering is
gained at 6200+ RPM?

These limits were set when the engine was NA, now it's FI
and there is a lot more going on in the motor.

because if you hit fuel cut off while running boost could bolw your engine
Old 02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
NissanJunkie

About the recent info about modifications to the ECU.

(1) Raising REV limiter

Is this really something that is "wise" to do ?

I'm not en engineer, and I am not an expert, so I can't
give you "real" reasons why not to but I have a couple
common sense type concerns.

I think our engine is built for 7500RPM ? Right?

So Turbonetics is raising from 6200 to 6700, right?

Why?

This is going to allow the engine to run closer to a point
of failure.

We are already aware of weaknesses in the motor, why
would you want to press it closer to failure?

How much of the performance that the kit is offering is
gained at 6200+ RPM?

These limits were set when the engine was NA, now it's FI
and there is a lot more going on in the motor.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:10 AM
alpine

Default Re: Re: A couple concerns...

Originally posted by NissanJunkie
That is defintely one of the possibilities, pushing the engine further into it's limits.

Bending a valve is more likely to happen, it's something like down shifting into a much lower gear, yes you have fuel cut off, but it can't stop the force that's in the engine already.

The motor doesn't magically stop at fuel cut off, leaning out under that kind of stress is also a possibility and another bad idea.

But hey, so long as you know these are things that can happen, regardless of what's in your engine, or how you get there, it's ok because you're not going to do that, and it's nothing bad is going to happen.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Default Re: Re: Re: A couple concerns...

That is defintely one of the possibilities, pushing the engine further into it's limits.

Bending a valve is more likely to happen, it's something like down shifting into a much lower gear, yes you have fuel cut off, but it can't stop the force that's in the engine already.

The motor doesn't magically stop at fuel cut off, leaning out under that kind of stress is also a possibility and another bad idea.

But hey, so long as you know these are things that can happen, regardless of what's in your engine, or how you get there, it's ok because you're not going to do that, and it's nothing bad is going to happen.
Maybe Turbonetics should have a warning for those going with the reflash. Just to cover themselves.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Oh yeah, just wondering, mia, when is the next time you see Brad going to be? Maybe I should email or pm him?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:01 PM
alpine

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Maybe Turbonetics should have a warning for those going with the reflash. Just to cover themselves.
There is no need for a warning, doing anything of this nature whether it's intake, pulleys, turbos, brings that automatically.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:54 PM
ForcefedZ

Default Re: Re: A couple concerns...

Originally posted by NissanJunkie
Hitting fuel cut, and a car running lean are two different things. A lean condition is having actual fuel in the mixture to combust just not at the correct ratio. Lean AFR's can cause detonation depanding on the load. Fuel cut on the other hand is different, the injectors are turned off and NO fuel is being injected. So you cannot cause any type of detonation when there is no fuel to burn. The reason the manufactures cut the fuel instead of the ignition is for emissions.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:01 AM
MIAPLAYA

Oh yeah, just wondering, mia, when is the next time you see Brad going to be? Maybe I should email or pm him?

You could most certainly PM him if you would like. I should be up there mid-week to get my car and I can talk to him then. If you need to discuss this with him sooner PM me and I'll give you some contact info..
Old 02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
You could most certainly PM him if you would like. I should be up there mid-week to get my car and I can talk to him then. If you need to discuss this with him sooner PM me and I'll give you some contact info..
Ok. I'll just wait, thanks.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

Ok. I'll just wait, thanks.
No prob...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:51 PM
time4aspliff

I thought fuel cut was a preventative measure to protect your engine and turbo (usually at a pre-set boost level).

For example the factory pre-set fuel cut for the Toyota MR2 Turbo is set at 11 p.s.i.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:20 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by time4aspliff
I thought fuel cut was a preventative measure to protect your engine and turbo (usually at a pre-set boost level).

For example the factory pre-set fuel cut for the Toyota MR2 Turbo is set at 11 p.s.i.
It is but on our car being non-factory turbo the fuel cut is at the rev limiter....
Old 02-15-2005, 09:13 AM
thrifiddytt

You've already bought the clutch? How many discs/plates is it? If you haven't bought it yet, look at ATS' clutch and talk to Sharif (gq_626).
yep, but I ended up going with a ACT clutch for now with a jun flywheel. Got some gauges with a custom mount and turbo timer.

Mia, did you change your plugs, thermostat, or anything else? Your car is completely stock (except for the turbo kit) right?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
thrifiddytt

never mind, I just saw your sig..
Old 02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by thrifiddytt
yep, but I ended up going with a ACT clutch for now with a jun flywheel. Got some gauges with a custom mount and turbo timer.

Mia, did you change your plugs, thermostat, or anything else? Your car is completely stock (except for the turbo kit) right?
I did not change nor do I plan to change my thermostat but I am thinking of going to some one step colder NGK Iridiums. I'm going to talk to Turbonetics and see what they think...
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM
time4aspliff

[It is but on our car being non-factory turbo the fuel cut is at the rev limiter....]

Okay. Gotcha.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos