Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by foochdawg
Also, I saw this quoted from the APS website. It SOUNDS like there is a fuel return system in there.

"In order to facilitate the fuel return from the external regulator housing, a single 12.0 mm hole is drilled in the top flange of the plastic sender unit. In order to deliver a perfect seal and return the fuel to the correct section of the pump housing, a custom configured fuel return pipe is also supplied. This is professionally flanged, Viton O'ring sealed and locked into position with a special lock-nut and washer arrangement. "

Am I reading this wrong? I am in no way disagreeing. I am just the kjid of person that needs ALL the information to make an informed decision.
Maybe there is. Man I could have sworn Peter told me it was not a return fuel system.

You're right, my mistake.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 AM
foochdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Glad to see you did read the threads unlike some other people I have seen.

Actually, Sharif (gq_626) did a list on 350zmotoring about this and only a few had had the boost higher than stock boost.

Agreed, but, like I stated earlier, Nissan isn't making every rod different, the motors are made with/out of the same stuff, the temperments of each part aren't going to vary very much.

Yeah.

And I totally agree about the tuning, people who aren't going to get the reflash option DEFINITELY need to take it to someone who has tuned a 350Z before and had success (with whatever they choose, piggyback, standalone, whatever).

I've heard about the sound coming from the fuel pump, everyone says it's normal. So you know what that means, stay in boost all the time and you won't have to hear it.
Oh, I thought that I read somewhere that most blown were because people were getting brave. Sorry if I said wrong information.

And I know nissan isn't making any rods differently or anything, I am just afraid that the flash will fail or try to "learn" something in a way that causes problems.

If I got this kit it would definately be with the flash.

If I don't find anything that makes me confident enough then I will either say screw it and save up for a new car, or build the bottom end before going FI. I would build the bottom end anyway if I intended to up the boost, but I'm not. I just want to keep it on stock boost, a little under 400 whp and I would be satisfied. I don't want to build the bottom end and waste all that money for something that is advertised to run safe on a stock car at stock boost...which is where I want to keep it. Would seem liek a big expensive waste for stock boost lol.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 AM
foochdawg

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
I understand your concerns and Turbonetics is considering including a shielded crank sensor wire as well. I think that your concerns would be a product of any F/I kit you were to choose. As for the 04 reflash. I know all about it. Why do you think my car has been there so long. And yes 500 miles is not a LOT of miles but we are talking at least 100-200 miles of that is FLOGGING my car. Running the **** out of it to make sure nothing fails. Remember that their Z has thousands of HARD driven miles without problems. I think that as long as enough research goes into the kit things will be fine. And believe me when I tell you Turbonetics has done their homework...
The crank angle sensor would be GREAT that is also another concern that has me on the fence. The car they tested it on and found that problem could have been a fluke but it isn't worth the risk to me, to NOT get a shielded wire.

And I do how all these concerns with every single kit. I have asked the makers of all these kits how they handle this stuff and I watch what happens to the cars running it to try to get a handle on all the kits. I am no expert, but i'm trying. .

I know it has been hell waiting for the 04 reflash lol. I could feel the pain, I would go insane lol. But it will all be worth it.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:18 AM
MIAPLAYA

Oh, I thought that I read somewhere that most blown were because people were getting brave. Sorry if I said wrong information.

And I know nissan isn't making any rods differently or anything, I am just afraid that the flash will fail or try to "learn" something in a way that causes problems.

If I don't find anything that makes me confident enough then I will either say screw it and save up for a new car, or build the bottom end before going FI. I would build the bottom end anyway if I intended to up the boost, but I'm not. I just want to keep it on stock boost, a little under 400 whp and I would be satisfied. I don't want to build the bottom end and waste all that money for something that is advertised to run safe on a stock car at stock boost...which is where I want to keep it. Would seem liek a big expensive waste for stock boost lol.
Well if you build the motor you could crank up the boost. With the turbo it comes with you can make about 650 RWHP at about 18-20 PSI..
Old 02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
tig488

i havent read anything about the oil supply/return system used with the kit, any ideas, or should we just get a JWT spacer.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM
foochdawg

There is no return line from the fuel rails. Basically they mount the fuel pressure regulator at the tank and the fuel return goes from the regulator a whole 2" back into the stock fuel pump housing...that you have to drill/
You mean like this? Please excuse the horrific pain t skillz haha.
Attached Thumbnails Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos-fuel.jpg  
Old 02-17-2005, 10:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by tig488
i havent read anything about the oil supply/return system used with the kit, any ideas, or should we just get a JWT spacer.
This kit uses the same oil feed everyone else does but no the kit does not come with a new pan. Just like Vortech you can either tap the upper pan or buy either the JWT spacer or a PE or APS kit. JWT spacer will work fine and is only $100
Old 02-17-2005, 10:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

You mean like this? Please excuse the horrific pain t skillz haha.
exactly
Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
foochdawg

Well if you build the motor you could crank up the boost. With the turbo it comes with you can make about 650 RWHP at about 18-20 PSI..
That's just it though, I don't want 650 horsepower. That is why I don't want to build the bottom end if it is not needed on stock boost. I want to be comparable with a vette...not a ferrari.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:32 AM
MIAPLAYA

That's just it though, I don't want 650 horsepower. That is why I don't want to build the bottom end if it is not needed on stock boost. I want to be comparable with a vette...not a ferrari.
Thats cool....
Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
foochdawg

exactly
What would be the point in that? Just for a place to test the fuel pressure? I mean if the pump is working wouldn't it prssurize the lines all the way back to the pump? Or does this cause less strain on the pump? How does that method help the kit?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM
7 eleven

You were correct on this, There is less than three cars that have popped at stock boost and 2 were g35c's out for a test spin with no gauges. Who knows what boost they were running.

Almost all of the Blown motors are due to increased boost, Of course most claimed they were "tuned" but there are alot of us with 400rwhp+ for 5000+miles and no issues. Since I was not there for the tuning or know the final maps I can't say it their tune was good.

I can think of 6 cars off the top of my head that have been making over 400rwhp for an extended period of time without issues.
Skidazzle's car, GQ-626, Phunk, t32gzz ,7 eleven, Yancy.

That's almost 100,000 miles worth of boosted driving between all of us. That's not luck. And there's alot more out there that I can't recall off the top of my head.

The APS kit will have a low failure rate because you can't tune it yourself or turn up the boost with out purchasing a second boost controller and not many are going to do that.

Hate to say it but right now the number one cause of failure is the owner/poor tuner doing something wrong .

I'm sure out of the box the Turbonetics kit will be a very safe kit. I'm willing to bet not one will pop in stock configuration. And the lack of tunablity will save alot of people from themselves. But I'm sure they'll start turning up the boost and then you'll start seeing failures due a lack of tuning for the higher boost.

Gary
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM
MIAPLAYA

What would be the point in that? Just for a place to test the fuel pressure? I mean if the pump is working wouldn't it prssurize the lines all the way back to the pump? Or does this cause less strain on the pump? How does that method help the kit?
No basically the fuel leaving the pump immediately goes to a fuel pressure regualtor to keep all the pressure equal all the time. The excess fuel is fed right back into the tank..
Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 AM
foochdawg

No basically the fuel leaving the pump immediately goes to a fuel pressure regualtor to keep all the pressure equal all the time. The excess fuel is fed right back into the tank..
but wouldn't that happen naturally when the pressure got back to the pump itself?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 AM
MIAPLAYA

but wouldn't that happen naturally when the pressure got back to the pump itself?
yes it would but it would cost more and be more diffcult to include new fuel rails, lines, etc. NO ONE includes this with their kit.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 AM
foochdawg

Originally posted by 7 eleven
You were correct on this, There is less than three cars that have popped at stock boost and 2 were g35c's out for a test spin with no gauges. Who knows what boost they were running.

Almost all of the Blown motors are due to increased boost, Of course most claimed they were "tuned" but there are alot of us with 400rwhp+ for 5000+miles and no issues. Since I was not there for the tuning or know the final maps I can't say it their tune was good.

I can think of 6 cars off the top of my head that have been making over 400rwhp for an extended period of time without issues.
Skidazzle's car, GQ-626, Phunk, t32gzz ,7 eleven, Yancy.

That's almost 100,000 miles worth of boosted driving between all of us. That's not luck. And there's alot more out there that I can't recall off the top of my head.

The APS kit will have a low failure rate because you can't tune it yourself or turn up the boost with out purchasing a second boost controller and not many are going to do that.

Hate to say it but right now the number one cause of failure is the owner/poor tuner doing something wrong .

I'm sure out of the box the Turbonetics kit will be a very safe kit. I'm willing to bet not one will pop in stock configuration. And the lack of tunablity will save alot of people from themselves. But I'm sure they'll start turning up the boost and then you'll start seeing failures due a lack of tuning for the higher boost.

Gary
That is nice to hear. I will not be tampering with anything. I would be content with reliable stock boost. That is the only thing that I am really concerned about. Both kits I am interested in(both single turbo kits) have good numbers. If they are BOTH reliable then I will go for the cheaper. And the Turbonetics kit looks REALLY nice with the black chrome and the visable turbo.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 AM
tig488

This kit uses the same oil feed everyone else does but no the kit does not come with a new pan. Just like Vortech you can either tap the upper pan or buy either the JWT spacer or a PE or APS kit. JWT spacer will work fine and is only $100
cool so i can just use my pre-existing vortech tap for the return, sweet! makes the install that much easier.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 AM
foochdawg

yes it would but it would cost more and be more diffcult to include new fuel rails, lines, etc. NO ONE includes this with their kit.
What I meant is something like this. As the pump forces gas from the tank to the end of the rails, it will hit the ends and start fulling the rails and lines and it will pressurize and then eventually the fuel will be back to the o-ring surrounding the nozzle on the pump. When that pressure reached that point wouldn't the lines naturaly pressuize itself?
Attached Thumbnails Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos-fuel.jpg  
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by tig488
cool so i can just use my pre-existing vortech tap for the return, sweet! makes the install that much easier.
Exactly...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:57 AM
foochdawg

God I have awesome paint skillz.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos