Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by foochdawg
What I meant is something like this. As the pump forces gas from the tank to the end of the rails, it will hit the ends and start fulling the rails and lines and it will pressurize and then eventually the fuel will be back to the o-ring surrounding the nozzle on the pump. When that pressure reached that point wouldn't the lines naturaly pressuize itself?
I think maybe I am not the best person to explain this to you. Not sure if I can Barney it enough....PM phunk or search for his last fuel system thread. That should be able to explain it better.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:18 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I meant is something like this. As the pump forces gas from the tank to the end of the rails, it will hit the ends and start fulling the rails and lines and it will pressurize and then eventually the fuel will be back to the o-ring surrounding the nozzle on the pump. When that pressure reached that point wouldn't the lines naturaly pressuize itself?
Think of it this way, the pump only turns at one speed, therefore it is only capable of delivering fuel at one specific rate. If you needed to deliver fuel at a lower pressure, then you'd need a way to bleed some of the pressure in the line back into the tank. As more fuel is required, the in-line regulator can allow more fuel into the rail-bound line and less into the return line. Given full control, this return system could ensure that the pressure in the rail-bound fuel lines is betweeen 0 and whatever the max pressure of the pump is.

MIA, my question for you is what happens to the built-in FPR that is inside the pump assemply inside the tank? According to Phunk, most people just block this in-tank FPR, which really plays hell with the balance of fuel between the two halves of the tank.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 AM
7 eleven

That is nice to hear. I will not be tampering with anything. I would be content with reliable stock boost.

HA HA ask my wife about that line
I don't even bother any more she knows better.
Gary
Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by kcobean
Think of it this way, the pump only turns at one speed, therefore it is only capable of delivering fuel at one specific rate. If you needed to deliver fuel at a lower pressure, then you'd need a way to bleed some of the pressure in the line back into the tank. As more fuel is required, the in-line regulator can allow more fuel into the rail-bound line and less into the return line. Given full control, this return system could ensure that the pressure in the rail-bound fuel lines is betweeen 0 and whatever the max pressure of the pump is.

MIA, my question for you is what happens to the built-in FPR that is inside the pump assemply inside the tank? According to Phunk, most people just block this in-tank FPR, which really plays hell with the balance of fuel between the two halves of the tank.
Well this discusssion was about the APS fuel system. Turbonetics has gone a different route with their fuel system...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:52 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by MIAPLAYA
Well this discusssion was about the APS fuel system. Turbonetics has gone a different route with their fuel system...
I'm confused....You said:

There is no return line from the fuel rails. Basically they mount the fuel pressure regulator at the tank and the fuel return goes from the regulator a whole 2" back into the stock fuel pump housing...that you have to drill/
So basically, the scenario which foochdawg drew and I described holds true for this system. The fuel goes from the in-tank pump to the external regulator. That regulator has a return line back into the pump-housing that it can use to bleed pressure away from the rails. The pump-housing is essentially a very complicated swirl-pot. Inside this pump-housing, there is a built-in OEM pressure regulator that would have to be dealt with so that it didn't lessen the pressure into the external regulator.

And this brings up question of where in this system does the Walbro 255 go?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

I'm confused....You said:

So basically, the scenario which foochdawg drew and I described holds true for this system. The fuel goes from the in-tank pump to the external regulator. That regulator has a return line back into the pump-housing that it can use to bleed pressure away from the rails. The pump-housing is essentially a very complicated swirl-pot. Inside this pump-housing, there is a built-in OEM pressure regulator that would have to be dealt with so that it didn't lessen the pressure into the external regulator.

And this brings up question of where in this system does the Walbro 255 go?
What you just described is how APS is doing the fuel system. Turbonetics is doing it differently. Turbonetics is using a modified in pump regulator (basically a modified stock regulator) that will allow for a constant 53 PSI. The Walbro 255 replaces the stock in tank pump. It is installed the same as everyone else has installed it. You remove the in tank assy and replace the factory pump with the Walbro...GQ did this and had a good write up. Of course detailed instructions are included with the kit...
Old 02-17-2005, 02:03 PM
kcobean

What you just described is how APS is doing the fuel system. Turbonetics is doing it differently. Turbonetics is using a modified in pump regulator (basically a modified stock regulator) that will allow for a constant 53 PSI. The Walbro 255 replaces the stock in tank pump. It is installed the same as everyone else has installed it. You remove the in tank assy and replace the factory pump with the Walbro...GQ did this and had a good write up. Of course detailed instructions are included with the kit...
Got it! Once again...you are the man. Does this in-tank regulator allow the cross-tank flow to operate as stock so that the other tank will fill and drain properly?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

Got it! Once again...you are the man. Does this in-tank regulator allow the cross-tank flow to operate as stock so that the other tank will fill and drain properly?
Absolutely. because the regulator is a modified stock one the fuel distribution between tanks, pick ups, etc are the same and work the same as stock.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:46 PM
kcobean

Absolutely. because the regulator is a modified stock one the fuel distribution between tanks, pick ups, etc are the same and work the same as stock.
That's great. One more reason to pick this kit!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

That's great. One more reason to pick this kit!
Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 AM
foochdawg

Thanks for answering all the questions I have had. :thumbsup: This kit may be at the top of my list. One of the main concerns I had with these turbo kits is the fuel system. I thought APS had a return system like AAM. But since they don't then that pretty much takes the only thing they had over this kit out of the picture. I mean from what I have heard and seen, I trust Turbonetics to build a GREAT kit, and because of their reputation, their price, and installation and no need for tuning, the way the install looks, sounds, etc. This will more than likely be the way that I go. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well gents and ladies the moment you've all been waiting for.......has been postponed. My car had an unfortunate argument with a freeway guardrail this morning and is going to be out of commision for a while. I'd like to personally thank the state of California for their STELLAR freeway drainage system that allowed at least 1 full inch of standing water to collect on the freeway off ramp. To a serious note... I am truly happy to be able to say that no one was injured. Everyone walked away fine albeit a bit shaken. The insurance company will be looking at it Monday and I'll know more soon. I blame no one but the freeway system for this (j/k). Like I said no one was hurt and thats whats ultimately important. Car parts and even whole cars can be replaced but someones life or health is not replaceable. While I am quite bummed I'm positive some good will come of this whether I see it now or not. Not to be cliche but I do thank God for watching out for all involved as the situation could have been MUCH worse. Well, I'll keep you guys posted as things develop. For those interested this kit is or should be shipping now. The G kit should be completed and shipping by mid March. Turbonetics does have one other project that needs to be completed prior to the G kit getting finished but it should be done quickly...
Old 02-19-2005, 05:11 PM
basam350z

Good thing you are ok. Hopes your cars gets up and running soon.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well gents and ladies the moment you've all been waiting for.......has been postponed. My car had an unfortunate argument with a freeway guardrail this morning and is going to be out of commision for a while. I'd like to personally thank the state of California for their STELLAR freeway drainage system that allowed at least 1 full inch of standing water to collect on the freeway off ramp. To a serious note... I am truly happy to be able to say that no one was injured. Everyone walked away fine albeit a bit shaken. The insurance company will be looking at it Monday and I'll know more soon. I blame no one but the freeway system for this (j/k). Like I said no one was hurt and thats whats ultimately important. Car parts and even whole cars can be replaced but someones life or health is not replaceable. While I am quite bummed I'm positive some good will come of this whether I see it now or not. Not to be cliche but I do thank God for watching out for all involved as the situation could have been MUCH worse. Well, I'll keep you guys posted as things develop. For those interested this kit is or should be shipping now. The G kit should be completed and shipping by mid March. Turbonetics does have one other project that needs to be completed prior to the G kit getting finished but it should be done quickly...
That sucks. Hope it gets back up and running soon!

I pm'd Brad and told him to check the thread about the turbo size.

Do you know when the tuner version is going to come out?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

I actually asked Brad about the turbo size thing yesterday. He is going to have the engineers double check but he is pretty sure he can get a different compressor wheel in that housing for more power. He wanted to double check the power output of a set up like that though. He did say that he has not tested a bigger compressor housing in there yet but that it is possible. He said he would get some more info and get back to me. As for the tuner kit I'm not 100% on that as I did not talk to him about. I'll try to get some more info on that...
Old 02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I actually asked Brad about the turbo size thing yesterday. He is going to have the engineers double check but he is pretty sure he can get a different compressor wheel in that housing for more power. He wanted to double check the power output of a set up like that though. He did say that he has not tested a bigger compressor housing in there yet but that it is possible. He said he would get some more info and get back to me. As for the tuner kit I'm not 100% on that as I did not talk to him about. I'll try to get some more info on that...
Good.

You mean you aren't sure when the tuner version is coming out? Also, won't the tuner version be available sooner for the '05's (non track/35th a.e.) than the full kit?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:32 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by nis350ztt
Good.

You mean you aren't sure when the tuner version is coming out? Also, won't the tuner version be available sooner for the '05's (non track/35th a.e.) than the full kit?
I honestly could not speak to that. I really just forgot to ask Brad about it when I talked to him. I'll try to get a hold of him and see what he says.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:41 PM
kcobean

Damn Mia, that REALLY sucks. Is the car salvageable or is it a write-off in your opinion?

Glad that all involved are ok.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I honestly could not speak to that. I really just forgot to ask Brad about it when I talked to him. I'll try to get a hold of him and see what he says.
Ok, well I know there is a tuner version kit coming out if you were saying that you aren't sure if there is going to be one, Brad said that on about 7 or 8 pages back.

Just wondering why vendors aren't showing the two options there are (catless, with cat)?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

I honestly have no idea whats going to happen with the car. I really hope its not a write off. Nothing would be worse. As for the Tuner kit I know there is going to be one I do not know when it is going to be available how much or for what applications. Ditto on the cat kit. I'll ask Brad.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Single Turbo Kit..Pics/Videos