Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 PM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Originally posted by Speedracer
I have the HKS supercharger. It drives beautifully. I must note that I had a problem initially with a defective supercharger unit, but that is a long and different story. Once the problem was found and remedied, the system ran incredibly. This is not a system that serves as a base for a mega-power build-up. It is an "out of the box" kit that comes fully tuned. It is not meant to be further modified in any way. It provides you with a very fast car but still within the tolerances of the stock internals. It is, in my opinion, a perfect set-up for the street. My car dyno'd at 326rwhp/325rwtorque. Too many people are simply concerned with the absolute amount of power. That is not what this system is about. It is about combining a moderate power bump with, smoothness, real world drivability and emssions compatibility. Still 400 crank hp ain't slow!!! Believe me!!! Keep in mind that much more power will require an engine rebuild to insure reliability. I wouldn't want much more power without an engine build.

The auxillary fueling system leaves the stock engine management and fuel systems functioning completely normally. A seperate sensor detects manifold pressure and, via the plug and play F-CON computer, activates the auxillary injectors accordingly when boost is detected. The stock fuel/engine management just acts as if the car is running at WOT on a N/A motor since the MAF sensor is located pre-supercharger. All this integration happens seamlessly without ANY hint of hesitation or transition between systems. This is where HKS will dominate over others: in the all important engine management department.

Besides that, the quality of the components is absolutely top notch and no little detail has been overlooked. Everything fits perfectly and neatly.

The only real downside is the installation instructions that come with the kit. While very complete, it is poorly organized and will send the first time installer on a bit of a goose chase around the car. Still, if you know this motor, it isn't much of a problem.

Like anything else, quality costs, and in the end you get what you pay for. The big selling point should really be HKS's expertise inthe area of engine management. You should also be able to get it for considerably less that retail.
do you have an exhaust and headers, or are you just running straight hks SCer? as for now i am really starting to lean towards hks. i love the quality of the kit. do you have any pix? if so please pm me. thanks again for your response to the thread it's been a great help
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 PM
More Power

Speedracer, you make a real good case for the HKS. I ran HKS with my Eclipse stage VI plus turbo and like HKS in many many ways. How do you rate the HKS kit vs. the Turbonetics single turbo in terms of quality of engineering, completeness, and engine management like timing retard. I know these setups are dissimilar in many ways in power production, but the factors I stated are the strong points of HKS and are factors with any FI kit. So what's your take on the HKS vs. the Turbonetics single turbo. I like both kits for their own merits and my decision is between these 2 even though I fully realize they are different in many ways regarding power production and characteristics...
Old 11-02-2004, 06:27 AM
nexstage350

man i am still undecieded

i am still trying to figure if i should go turbo or the hks sc? it all comes down to for me, which is safer???????
Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM
gladz

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

The stock clutch does fine most of the time. It definitely slips at high rpm on hard launches. I'll probably wait until late winter to upgrade since the car will be going into winter storage after a few more weeks. I'll probably go with clutchmaster 3 at this point....but that could change. I'll be doing Stoptechs at all four corners this winter as well.
Winter storage? What's that?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Originally posted by nexstage350
do you have an exhaust and headers, or are you just running straight hks SCer? as for now i am really starting to lean towards hks. i love the quality of the kit. do you have any pix? if so please pm me. thanks again for your response to the thread it's been a great help
I have Nismo cat-back. HKS warns against the use of headers/cats since the engine management will not support those changes.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by More Power
Speedracer, you make a real good case for the HKS. I ran HKS with my Eclipse stage VI plus turbo and like HKS in many many ways. How do you rate the HKS kit vs. the Turbonetics single turbo in terms of quality of engineering, completeness, and engine management like timing retard. I know these setups are dissimilar in many ways in power production, but the factors I stated are the strong points of HKS and are factors with any FI kit. So what's your take on the HKS vs. the Turbonetics single turbo. I like both kits for their own merits and my decision is between these 2 even though I fully realize they are different in many ways regarding power production and characteristics...
Sorry, I really know nothing about the details of the turbonetics set-up.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
LOU

So sad to see people bad mouthing the Vortech. They just don't know what they are missing. Out of the box I was making 350rwhp with Vortech... and that started to feel slow over time. Fortunately I was able to up the boost and the horsepower with a simple pulley swap. Now I have over 400rwhp. And let me tell you. 415HP feels completely different than 325HP.

And as far as I know the Vortech SC'ers haven't had any reliability issues.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 PM
booger

Originally posted by LouZer
So sad to see people bad mouthing the Vortech. They just don't know what they are missing. Out of the box I was making 350rwhp with Vortech... and that started to feel slow over time. Fortunately I was able to up the boost and the horsepower with a simple pulley swap. Now I have over 400rwhp. And let me tell you. 415HP feels completely different than 325HP.

And as far as I know the Vortech SC'ers haven't had any reliability issues.
YES I dont understand it..IMO $4,300 .....350whp and upgradable to 400whp...verses $5,700 and 325whp.....and not able to put on a after market exhaust , not able to up the hp.....no thx
Old 11-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

different strokes. Not everyone wants to have to tune their system. The Vortech is certainly an excellent unit for the price, but admittedly the HKS does come with some very nice features (oil cooler, bolt in fuel pump setup), and is a bit more "stealth" looking from the outside. I personally think its awesome that there are so many options!
Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
jgsm

I having reading the board for months but this is my first post. I live in Taiwan and have a auto G35 sedan. I talked to the local HKS a few days ago and I have some information to share.

First, HKS kit is an out-of-box, direct bolt-on solution, no cut and paste, but it does not mean it is not tunable. It comes with preset program but you can still tune it (at least they can). For every car they install here they will tune the kit. The reason being different mod, local fuel, local temperature, humidity, etc.

Second, the HKS guy said the kit can be installed on 350Z, G35, and FX35. They are planning do each one of them in mid-November with HKS technicians from Japan for potential buyers demonstration and internal education. They mentioned there are already "many" installed for 350Z, G35 and FX35. But from my knowledge I only know there are a few 350Z installed, no G35 or FX35.

And finally, the kit is develped by HKS Kansai and said to be under heavy real road test for 1 yr before going mass production. When under testing the rod broke at 480hp. So they preset the "standard" version at much more conservative level. But if you build your engine internal you can get much more power with the kit.

I know some manufacturers tend to be more conservative in the US market because of the liability issues so maybe that's why HKS claims it is not tunable. Here it is common that the warranty and aftersale services are very vague and loose for after market tuning. Maybe that's why it is tunable here.

Well. From what I have learned and seen, everything seems very nice and top quality. It definitely has the potential to be the most worryfree solution. And the good news is it fits both auto and manual. BUT!!! they are asking >US$10,000 for the kit and install and tuning. I just think it is way too rediculous... Though I can afford it but I am not sure I want it that much at that price.

Allen
Old 11-02-2004, 07:12 PM
PumpedVA

Well I am to tired to post much but I just finnished a nice 2 hours ride home down I95 with my new HKS kit installed and man what a ride it was. The installer did tell me after installing many vortechs this was a harder install but that might be because it was there first one witch they did one hell of a job on it.

All in all the tech said its a very nice put together kit (didnt by from them) and pulled better then the vortech. more low in power and not waiting for boost to build up.

Also I will have to get use to that sound.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 PM
PumpedVA

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

I have Nismo cat-back. HKS warns against the use of headers/cats since the engine management will not support those changes.
Really I talked to a few techs at evolution and even the guys at altered and told them I ordered cats, headers, and plenum and they know I have the HKS and didnt say anything about it.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:47 AM
MR RIZK

Just a heads up if you have/buy the HKS kit. The oil reservoir may leak from the plugged hole that has the ~8mm grub screw in it.

I suggest using some teflon tape or a proper plug with a hose clamp.

This is the location/provision where the temp probe goes in.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:11 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by MR RIZK
Just a heads up if you have/buy the HKS kit. The oil reservoir may leak from the plugged hole that has the ~8mm grub screw in it.

I suggest using some teflon tape or a proper plug with a hose clamp.

This is the location/provision where the temp probe goes in.
Ran into that problem myself but a ton of teflon tape seems to be holding. But my leak was comming form the hose attached to the intercooler.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My take on the HKS s/c is that it costs to much money for the numbers its pulling. All the HKS people always stress reliablity issues, if you guys are so worried about blowing you rmotor you shoulda spent money on all the bolt-ons, a set of cams and an ecu and for slightly cheaper than your kit had very close to 300 n/a whp, that is the reliable way to go. IMO, if I was spending money on FI I would get something I can upgrade. Superchargers in the order that I would get them---> Vortech-ATI-Stillen-HKS-yes I would get the Stillen over HKS cuz it can make more power, and isnt that what FI is all about ? Vortech imo is a GREAT deal, seams like the SS box is easy to tune, as anybody can see by all the 370 whp + Vortech cars on the board. PumpedVA-if some tech said the HKS had a greater pull than a Vortech kit, he is blowing smoke up your a$$, even untuned I have seen higher numbers from the Vortech than the HKS. But to each their own, everybody enjoy their kits...
Old 11-03-2004, 06:06 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by Alberto
My take on the HKS s/c is that it costs to much money for the numbers its pulling. All the HKS people always stress reliablity issues, if you guys are so worried about blowing you rmotor you shoulda spent money on all the bolt-ons, a set of cams and an ecu and for slightly cheaper than your kit had very close to 300 n/a whp, that is the reliable way to go. IMO, if I was spending money on FI I would get something I can upgrade. Superchargers in the order that I would get them---> Vortech-ATI-Stillen-HKS-yes I would get the Stillen over HKS cuz it can make more power, and isnt that what FI is all about ? Vortech imo is a GREAT deal, seams like the SS box is easy to tune, as anybody can see by all the 370 whp + Vortech cars on the board. PumpedVA-if some tech said the HKS had a greater pull than a Vortech kit, he is blowing smoke up your a$$, even untuned I have seen higher numbers from the Vortech than the HKS. But to each their own, everybody enjoy their kits...
Higher numbers yes but stonger low end pull no. what I was saying is there is no lag with the HKS unlike the voretch you have to wait for it to reach full boost. both are GREAT kits and like you said it is each to there own but I am not bashing vortech SC be any means just trying to give both sides so new buyers get all the info they can before speading some cash
Old 11-03-2004, 06:27 AM
PumpedVA

By the way install pic
Attached Thumbnails What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??-hks.jpg  
Old 11-03-2004, 07:02 AM
nexstage350

Default Re: Re: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

I have the HKS supercharger. It drives beautifully. I must note that I had a problem initially with a defective supercharger unit, but that is a long and different story. Once the problem was found and remedied, the system ran incredibly. This is not a system that serves as a base for a mega-power build-up. It is an "out of the box" kit that comes fully tuned. It is not meant to be further modified in any way. It provides you with a very fast car but still within the tolerances of the stock internals. It is, in my opinion, a perfect set-up for the street. My car dyno'd at 326rwhp/325rwtorque. Too many people are simply concerned with the absolute amount of power. That is not what this system is about. It is about combining a moderate power bump with, smoothness, real world drivability and emssions compatibility. Still 400 crank hp ain't slow!!! Believe me!!! Keep in mind that much more power will require an engine rebuild to insure reliability. I wouldn't want much more power without an engine build.

The auxillary fueling system leaves the stock engine management and fuel systems functioning completely normally. A seperate sensor detects manifold pressure and, via the plug and play F-CON computer, activates the auxillary injectors accordingly when boost is detected. The stock fuel/engine management just acts as if the car is running at WOT on a N/A motor since the MAF sensor is located pre-supercharger. All this integration happens seamlessly without ANY hint of hesitation or transition between systems. This is where HKS will dominate over others: in the all important engine management department.

Besides that, the quality of the components is absolutely top notch and no little detail has been overlooked. Everything fits perfectly and neatly.

The only real downside is the installation instructions that come with the kit. While very complete, it is poorly organized and will send the first time installer on a bit of a goose chase around the car. Still, if you know this motor, it isn't much of a problem.

Like anything else, quality costs, and in the end you get what you pay for. The big selling point should really be HKS's expertise inthe area of engine management. You should also be able to get it for considerably less that retail.
hrmmmm? i thnk the kit is a great top notch quality kit. do you have any other mods added to the kit? for example exhaust? hey thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
PumpedVA

I think he is running nismo exhaust
Old 11-03-2004, 07:34 AM
JimRHIT

A top notch, super quality kit ....

so why is it that the first one we know of installed ceased up ....

and now the second one has oil leak problems ...

YES, they have been remedied ... but this doesn't boost my confidence levels on this kit just yet

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??