Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 01:19 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically boost is not your friend. Personally my first step for a HKS setup would be a set of cams with a longer duration before a pulley change.

My 2c
Old 11-08-2004, 01:23 PM
PumpedVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good read
Old 11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
PumpedVA

Just a little FYI guys I was just told if you plan on adding anything to this kit like headers plenum ect be ready to spend some cash and change out the F-Con SZ for a F-CON V Pro.

when will it end? I got this kit because I wanted to set it and forget it and now look at me. LOL
Old 11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
More Power

Originally posted by PumpedVA
Just a little FYI guys I was just told if you plan on adding anything to this kit like headers plenum ect be ready to spend some cash and change out the F-Con SZ for a F-CON V Pro.

when will it end? I got this kit because I wanted to set it and forget it and now look at me. LOL
What do you think about the issue Speedracer raised on the previous page of this thread. Namely that I should not use the Crawford plenum with the HKS supercharger even if I DO go to a pro series dealer for tuning - because the location of the 2 added injectors in the HKS kit are purposely located in the stock plenum to deal with the unequal air flow to the cylinders of the stock plenum. I would really like to run the Crawford plenum with the HKS charger, but if I can't I guess I can't. Whatcha think? Maybe you could ask the pro series dealer about this issue since you have an open discussion going with them. (I think you're also planning to run the Crawford plenum with HKS charger if I remember correctly.) I know Speedracer has a real good point concerning this issue, but I wish there was a way since I believe these 2 mods would really compliment each other if it could be set up correctly.

Last edited by More Power; 11-08-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
PumpedVA

From my understanding is if you plan on doing any mods to this kit you need to switch the F-Con SZ that comes with the kit and is set up for a stock motor to the F-CON V Pro so you can re tune everything to take on the new mods.

Its a great kit stand alone and if you are not going to be happy with the set up I say go vortech because to add the plenum cats and headers like I am doing I look to spend some cash seeing as the F-CON V Pro is listed on HKs site for #1300 and some change. not counting the tuning needed to be done so look at spending 2g more if you plan on adding the plenum.

I was also told adding the plenum to the F-Con SZ that comes with the kit might be pushing the safty issue some.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
PumpedVA

More Power

bro 'IF' it was me I would go with the HKS put it on and have fun. now I am getting altered to do all these up grades to my kit in few weeks so if you plan on adding anything to this kit all your questions will be answered after they are finnished with my car. I will have the # to show for it also.

Last edited by PumpedVA; 11-08-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Speedracer

More Power

bro 'IF' it was me I would go with the HKS put it on and have fun. now I am getting altered to do all these up grades to my kit in few weeks so if you plan on adding anything to this kit all your questions will be answered after they are finnished with my car. I will have the # to show for it also.
Well.....time to deal with the next problem....got a Service Engine light. Going in for diagnostics on Friday. Car runs perfectly but I know it is running super-rich.....exhaust tips are BLACK! Now....the confounding factor in all of this is that I put some Redline Water Wetter into the coolant reservoir just before all this started. Don't know if the colder coolant temps are causing the stock fuel system and/or the HKS F-CON to run rich as if the car is in start-up mode.

I'll be honest here....if this starts getting into a diagnostic nightmare, I'm seriously going to pull the kit and stay basically stock N/A. Tuning is fun, putting out fire after fire isn't.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
PumpedVA

I would have a HKS pro dealer look at it before dealer.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:33 PM
three50zcrazy

I just bought a HKS kit today and im worried. I have Technosquare ecu, Nismo headers and Crawford cats. Now I talked to Technosquare and they said they can reflash it to stock ecu and I can keep the higher reving, open throttle, and speed limit eliminator. And with that I can just use the f con s that the HKS kit provides. I want to keep the headers and cats but what about the tuning? Since HKS says I should run stock manifolds and cats or else I would be running lean and that can blow my engine (thats what they said). What sholud I do to keep the cats and headers and how much will it cost? I want to do the best cost and time choice. Or should I just leave the headers and cats and I wont have any problems? Please help!!!!!! Thank you in advance.....
Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 AM
MR RIZK

I would strongly recomend droping the RPM limit back to stock for 2 reasons.

1/ By changing the max RPM you are nearing the warranty limit of the rotational speed of the shaft and impeller. You would not believe how muh 200 RPM makes.

2/ I don't think there will be big enough gain as the stock HKS dyno graph drops power in the high RPM.

My 2 bobs worth
Old 11-09-2004, 04:52 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by three50zcrazy
I just bought a HKS kit today and im worried. I have Technosquare ecu, Nismo headers and Crawford cats. Now I talked to Technosquare and they said they can reflash it to stock ecu and I can keep the higher reving, open throttle, and speed limit eliminator. And with that I can just use the f con s that the HKS kit provides. I want to keep the headers and cats but what about the tuning? Since HKS says I should run stock manifolds and cats or else I would be running lean and that can blow my engine (thats what they said). What sholud I do to keep the cats and headers and how much will it cost? I want to do the best cost and time choice. Or should I just leave the headers and cats and I wont have any problems? Please help!!!!!! Thank you in advance.....
You are in the same boat as me bro. You need to contact HKS or you local pro dealer and order the F-CON V Pro that way you can keep your mods. From me understanding is the fcon s cant handle the headers and cats because its cant be tuned for it.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:00 AM
PumpedVA

F CON V PRO

The HKS F-CON V Pro is a fully featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back" fuel and timing controller ."""" As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing adjustments becomes critical for performance and safety. The F-CON V Pro with its 32x32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps is the optimal solution. """""" The F-CON V Pro can control up to eight injectors and D Jetro or L Jetro setups. --- Injectors can be set to fire as batch, sequentially or staged. The F-CON V Pro can also read drive by wire vehicles. Programming is done via the HKS Power Writer software; which only Certified HKS Pro Dealers have access to. The HKS Power Writer software for the F-CON V Pro has some very unique abilities to simplify setup and tuning. Via the vehicle start up menus most Japanese import cars can be easily started by selecting the vehicle’s parameters (Make, Model, Engine and etc). Tuning is simplified due to the A/F Feedback control; where a target A/F value can be input and the F-CON V Pro will adjust fuel automatically. Also full data logging capabilities are built into the F-Con V Pro Power Writer software. All major vehicle conditions including; speed, rpm, water temperature, intake temperature, timing, boost, injector duty cycle and etc can be logged to an HKS Pro Dealer’s computer.

F-CON S

The HKS F-CON S is a "piggy-back" fuel and timing controller developed for basic and mid-level tuning. The F-CON S provides fuel and ignition control by modifying the factory fuel and ignition maps. Fuel can be added or subtracted (-90 to 127% range) while ignition timing can be adjusted within the range of ± 15° of the factory maps.

Each fuel and ignition map utilizes a 16x24 Load vs. Rpm resolution map. Up to four different fuel and ignition maps can be stored internally and set for various configurations. For additional fuel enrichment, a built-in AIC function can control up to two additional injectors.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:02 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by Speedracer
Well.....time to deal with the next problem....got a Service Engine light. Going in for diagnostics on Friday. Car runs perfectly but I know it is running super-rich.....exhaust tips are BLACK! Now....the confounding factor in all of this is that I put some Redline Water Wetter into the coolant reservoir just before all this started. Don't know if the colder coolant temps are causing the stock fuel system and/or the HKS F-CON to run rich as if the car is in start-up mode.

I'll be honest here....if this starts getting into a diagnostic nightmare, I'm seriously going to pull the kit and stay basically stock N/A. Tuning is fun, putting out fire after fire isn't.

bro I dont have any mods to my motor but the HKS and my exhaust tips are black now to. I thought this kit was tuned perfect for stock motor?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bro I dont have any mods to my motor but the HKS and my exhaust tips are black now to. I thought this kit was tuned perfect for stock motor?
If they are black, then you are running rich, which is good up to a certain level. Thing is, you cant just assume your car is "tuned" because HKS says so, every car runs different a/f's. I always hear people say the HKS is set-up no need to tune, IMO if you put FI on a car that isnt FI from the factory, you HAVE to tune, I couldnt sleep well at night or redline my car until I at least got it on a dyno and checked out my a/f's...If your car is running 10.1 a/f's get ready to change spark plugs every 5k miles....
Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
myfiddy

Just thought I might throw out some info. I talked to an HKS tech and the HKS kit will support up to 450whp with a new pulley on stock internals. But they said they didn't know if a new pulley (stage II) is going to be R&D'd (maybe they'll go in different stages like Stillen?) Hopefullly someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but there's supposedly only a few authorized tuners for the EMS because their software is proprietary.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
PumpedVA

Seems the biggest problem right now is adding a plenum to the kit.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:08 AM
More Power

Thanks for all the info. You and Speedracer please keep us posted on how all of this sorts out and your recommendations as you go along. When you get your car tuned at the pro series dealer, it would be interesting if they check your car just like it is now, before you add the other hi flow cat, header, plenum mods – just stock with the HKS kit, and see what your A/F ratio is with the setup pure stock as HKS intends. Since your exhaust pipes are currently black and if you turn out to be running too rich, as we are expecting, it seems to me that adding the plenum, hi flow cats, and headers might actually help. In that they will tend to lean the car out a bit. It just might be that if the stock HKS Fcon S is causing you to run a little rich, you could just add the mods and have the pro series dealer check your A/F ratio. It would be ironic if the mods lean you out to around a good solid 11.5 to one across the rpm band. In which case you wouldn't even need the F con V PRO and the added expense. (Maybe you could return it unopened and get your money back. Just a thought.) Of course running a little on the rich side is good up to a point as people are stating. But if you're running too rich your gonna be installing new plugs all the time like someone also stated and also developing less than optimum power also. I realize this is all speculation until you get the tuning results, so please post all the info each step of the way if you have time.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:10 AM
More Power

If I understand your prior post correctly, it sounds like the F con S that comes with the standard kit is somewhat adjustable and sounds like my HKS PFC I used to run with my prior car. The HKS program fuel computer that I ran with my Mitsu Eclipse turbo had a little dial inside with numbers running from zero to 10 that allowed you to fine tune richness to leanness by adjusting the dial. It was real easy to get it right on with just a little tuning since HKS had it setup for your specific car already. As some are posting, each car runs a little different even at stock tune and it gave me mucho peace of mind to fine tune it in this simple practical way even though HKS said no tuning was necessary – (just plug in and run like the HKS kits for our Zs are touted). Turned out I was running just a little bit richer than recommended the way HKS had it as initially shipped and it was a snap to lean it out just a little at a time with a simple dial (no computers, etc. etc etc.). Sounds like you said the F con S is a little adjustable like this. I know the old way I did it was not as super precise as the F con V pro and all, but it still worked great, was practical, and didn’t cost extra. I got my A/F to 11.5 to one, stopped fouling plugs, had noticeable extra power and ran about .2 quicker in the quarter mile (that amounts to approx 20 hp) with just one tuning session and by using a simple dial in the PFC! I had great long term reliability as well and the car idled and ran perfect – actually better and smoother than pure stock, sigh. And I never had any issues or problems. That experience is why I am so gung ho about going the HKS route again.

On second thought, you probably ought to do this thing right and go with the F con V PRO and professional tuning. We have a lot more invested in a Z car than I had in my Eclipse turbo. And being a small 4 banger, it cost a lot less to rebuild if the worst occurs. No use taking chances, man, go with the V pro like you intend.

At this point, I'm thinking I should take your advice and just go with the HKS supercharger and a cat back exhaust. The cat back exhaust shouldn't hurt the stock F con S setup for the HKS charger, right? Then get it tuned on top of that by a pro series dealer using just the standard F con S if it is somewhat adjustable if I understand your prior post correctly. If you are worried about the unequal air distribution of the stock plenum and the way HKS located the extra 2 injectors, you could just go back to the stock setup and cat backs and tuning on top of that with the F con S as well. If you haven't installed the plenum, ect. you could get your money back couldn't you. Or sell them to NA people in the other forum. We'd still be running 400 hp at the engine with this setup.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by More Power
I got my A/F to 11.5 to one, stopped fouling plugs, had noticeable extra power and ran about .2 quicker in the quarter mile (that amounts to approx 20 hp) with just one tuning session and by using a simple dial in the PFC!
What do you run and with what??
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 AM
PumpedVA

I think having a pro dealer install your HKS and turn it right at the same time with cat backs you will be fine. From my understanding you can even run headers and cats with the fcon s and can have it tuned for those mods its when you add the plenum the FCON S will not let you go that extra route needed for tuning with the plenum

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??