Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Jeff@Evolution

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prior starting the motor, the charger must be primed for oil to go through the charger first. I would imaging the charger seized up due to initial oil starvation due to no priming. The HKS is running dry sump oil system separated from the engine lubricating system.

We have installed way more vortech on the Z than anything else. The way the HKS drives and Vortech is different. Peak horse power come in at near redline doesn't help driving around on the street. Plus Vortech came out a while now so many have tuned, upgraded, experimented it for quite sometimes.
Give sometime on the HKS and it should be just as popular when more people have it on their car.
I'm not 100% sure if the Fcon pro-S ?? is tunable or not. I know Fcon Pro-V is but must be tuned at HKS pro dealer where they have the software to do so. There is only a handful in the US.

No one is sticking anything in anyone's butt. Pumpva didn't buy the kit from us, not like there is anything to gain from lying.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 AM
kzshin

I'm not 100% sure if the Fcon pro-S ?? is tunable or not. I know Fcon Pro-V is but must be tuned at HKS pro dealer where they have the software to do so. There is only a handful in the US.
Good, I know a HKS pro dealer in SCAL close to where I lived, plus the shop is owned by my friend.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by PumpedVA
By the way install pic
So the engine cover is not included with the kit?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
nexstage350

does any1 know if the kit comes wit the valve cover? if you buy it separte, how much does it cost? anyone knows? thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 01:22 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran into that problem myself but a ton of teflon tape seems to be holding. But my leak was comming form the hose attached to the intercooler.
I assume you mean that you found the oil leak from the oil tank but also had a air leak fron the IC ?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:25 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by Jun
So the engine cover is not included with the kit?
The engine cover is not included and you are required to cut the orginal so there is no interference with the pullies.

The only parts modified are:

Plenum Cover
Air Duct
Crash Zone sensor bracket (only if US model)

It would of been nice to have the plenum cover supplied.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by Jeff@Evolution
Prior starting the motor, the charger must be primed for oil to go through the charger first. I would imaging the charger seized up due to initial oil starvation due to no priming. The HKS is running dry sump oil system separated from the engine lubricating system.
According to Rotrex the C30-94 does not need to be primed like the older SP30-94. I questioned this as the older style oil lines had a hand prime pump for first start.

I assume the charger comes pre oil packed.

Also the kit is supplied with a F-CON S. If you closely at the plastic cover of the ecu you can see they removed the F-CON S label.

The thing is most Z owners buy a Vortech/ATI, dyno the car and say they make ~380HP not tuned and then tune their car and get over 400HP. I do not believe we have seen a HKS kit fitted that has been altered from factory pre-tune. Until a Z owner takes it to HKS PRO dealer and says tune it we will never know if it is a limitation of the kit or a really safe tune.

Anyway I have done some calculations and it appears to be room for improvement for smaller pullies. From my calcs you could drop the pulley size by 3mm and still stay within the warranty of the rotrex unit of 100,000 impeller speed and 10,500 shaft speed. I do not know what the reduction of pulley size equals to in boost so if anyone has a general idea please let me know.

Michael

Last edited by MR RIZK; 11-03-2004 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by booger
YES I dont understand it..IMO $4,300 .....350whp and upgradable to 400whp...verses $5,700 and 325whp.....and not able to put on a after market exhaust , not able to up the hp.....no thx
And you could also make the same argument to buy a $28,000 Camaro over a $55,000 boxster. I'd take the boxster.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by LouZer
So sad to see people bad mouthing the Vortech. They just don't know what they are missing. Out of the box I was making 350rwhp with Vortech... and that started to feel slow over time. Fortunately I was able to up the boost and the horsepower with a simple pulley swap. Now I have over 400rwhp. And let me tell you. 415HP feels completely different than 325HP.

And as far as I know the Vortech SC'ers haven't had any reliability issues.
I'm not bad-mouthing Vortech. I just think HKS is a more sophisticated system. This whole thing really shouldn't be so hard to understand. There are plenty of cars out there with less power that cost more than others with more power. Sophistication, engineering expertise, construction quality, etc all play into this. Look at the audio industry also. You can get a 500 watt amp for $300 or a much more sophisticated 250 watt amp for $700. Am I making sense here? A lot of this is also just personal preference and risk. There is no way I would ever run over about 350whp without upgrading the rods, and no way I would go over 400whp without upgrading rods and pistons/rings.
I really didn't want to spend the money to upgrade the internals, nor did I really desire a mega-powerful car, that I know from past personal experience is somewhat dangerous to drive on a public street. The Vortech will fit the bill for what some people are looking for, and the HKS will be what others are looking for.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:39 PM
dimitri

speedracer did u do the install on your own?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Speedracer

Originally posted by dimitri
speedracer did u do the install on your own?
No, got it done professionally. When I had to replace my originally defective SC unit, however, I did all the dis-assembly and re-assembly myself. If I had seen one already installed, I probably would have felt more comfortable installing it myself. I tend to be a very "visual" person. It is a reasonably straightforward installation requiring little more than some screwdrivers and a good assortment of wrenches/sockets
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM
jgsm

The guy I talked to at the local HKS said the kit is good for over 480rwhp but you need engine modificiation to handle the power. I am guessing sooner or later we will see people doing it.

Allen
Old 11-03-2004, 05:40 PM
PumpedVA

you can tune this kit to add at least 30 more hp but you need to take to a hks pro dealer.

I didtnt add the plenum cover back on because I am putting a crawford on in a few weeks so didnt see the point. HKS is also comming out with a smaller pully soon so untill they do this I will stick what came with the kit just incase.

I am adding headers and cats soon but I will need a pro dealer to tune the F-con for those mods
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by MR RIZK
I assume you mean that you found the oil leak from the oil tank but also had a air leak fron the IC ?
dont know it was just a drip off the left side of the IC but its holding nice now
Old 11-03-2004, 05:56 PM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by MR RIZK
According to Rotrex the C30-94 does not need to be primed like the older SP30-94. I questioned this as the older style oil lines had a hand prime pump for first start.

I assume the charger comes pre oil packed.

Also the kit is supplied with a F-CON S. If you closely at the plastic cover of the ecu you can see they removed the F-CON S label.

The thing is most Z owners buy a Vortech/ATI, dyno the car and say they make ~380HP not tuned and then tune their car and get over 400HP. I do not believe we have seen a HKS kit fitted that has been altered from factory pre-tune. Until a Z owner takes it to HKS PRO dealer and says tune it we will never know if it is a limitation of the kit or a really safe tune.

Anyway I have done some calculations and it appears to be room for improvement for smaller pullies. From my calcs you could drop the pulley size by 3mm and still stay within the warranty of the rotrex unit of 100,000 impeller speed and 10,500 shaft speed. I do not know what the reduction of pulley size equals to in boost so if anyone has a general idea please let me know.

Michael
Getting mine tuned by a pro dealer in a few weeks bro.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:07 PM
MR RIZK

Getting mine tuned by a pro dealer in a few weeks bro.
Sweet. Keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:27 AM
More Power

you can tune this kit to add at least 30 more hp but you need to take to a hks pro dealer.

I am adding headers and cats soon but I will need a pro dealer to tune the F-con for those mods
Which HKS pro dealer are you using?

Do you have any info about how much hp will result from the smaller belt that HKS will be coming out with soon?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by More Power
Which HKS pro dealer are you using?

Do you have any info about how much hp will result from the smaller belt that HKS will be coming out with soon?
no info on that belt but I am going to use altered atmophere
Old 11-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Jeff@Evolution

I have just talked to HKS main head quarter and here is some info:

1. The ecu that came with the charger kit is a derivative of Fcon pro-S.

2. It is not a full blown standalone unit like the Fcon pro-V.

3. The harness it come with is the same harness you use for the Fcon pro-V.

4. All the unit do is retard stock timing with fuel adjustment. It is very similar to the Greddy emanage.

5. If a pro dealer want to tune it, you must erase the original map and redo everything because it password locked.

6. They also said it probably easier just go with the Fcon pro-V unit.

Last edited by Jeff@Evolution; 11-04-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:15 PM
PumpedVA

man I am just lost here. I just need to leave my kit alone for now. but seeing as I have headers cats and plenum on the way I need to have some kind of tune done

guess what I am saying it a waste for me to even install those cats and headers?

Last edited by PumpedVA; 11-04-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??