Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:40 AM
More Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PumpedVA
I think having a pro dealer install your HKS and turn it right at the same time with cat backs you will be fine. From my understanding you can even run headers and cats with the fcon s and can have it tuned for those mods its when you add the plenum the FCON S will not let you go that extra route needed for tuning with the plenum
Thanks for the info and sound advice. I really wish HKS had just thrown a better plenum into the deal and engineered the 2 extra injector locations compatible with that setup. I know the kit would cost more if they included the better plenum and if you do that, you have to also replace the stock strut tower brace if you want to have a strut brace on the car, but I really like the idea of equalizing the air flow to all the cylinders with a better plenum. Just seems like a fundamentally much needed improvement. Maybe I'm making too much of this plenum issue, but I think a better than stock plenum could be better for the engine in a lot of ways. Maybe even better for long term reliability??? Having the front cylinders getting less air than the other ones can't be good for them long term?!?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:58 AM
More Power

Originally posted by Alberto
What do you run and with what??
I got too long winded with that paragraph and I guess it got confusing. I'm sorry. I was comparing the perceived similarities of the current F con S in the standard HKS supercharger kit for (tuning) our 350Zs with the HKS programmed fuel computer (PFC) I used for (tuning) my HKS stage VI+ Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX turbo back in the early '90s. Different cars, but the PFC allowed fine tuning the A/F ratio for forced induction boost common to both cars and was very effective. PumpedVA verified in a later post specifically which mods the F con S can handle and that it cannot handle the addition of a Cawford plenum for tuning our 350Zs.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:19 PM
PumpedVA

more power turn on your PMs bro.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:25 PM
NismoGCoupe

PumpedVA so your saying that F-Con SZ can not be re-tuned by anybody including the HKS Authorized Dealers and that you must buy F-Con V EMS to re-tune this kit for (header, exhaust, cats,Cams etc.) bolt-ons???

and have you talk to HKS directly about this or did a HKS Authorized Dealer tell you about this?

Last edited by NismoGCoupe; 11-09-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by NismoGCoupe
PumpedVA so your saying that F-Con SZ can not be re-tuned by anybody including the HKS Authorized Dealers and that you must buy F-Con V EMS to re-tune this kit for (header, exhaust, cats,Cams etc.) bolt-ons???

and have you talk to HKS directly about this or did a HKS Authorized Dealer tell you about this?
the F CON SZ can be tuned to a degree and you can add headers and cats (HKS tech told me this) If you want to add a plenum thats where the problem comes from also told by HKS, this is where the swtiching of the fcon sz to the V comes in the V will allow you to just about add any mod you like and tune it dead on. remember this kit was made for a stock motor so that is why they didnt put the up graded FCON with it.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
PumpedVA

The SZ has the ability to control beyond stock, but HKS is still in the testing phase for custom tuning applications. They need to check that it will fuction with all types of software and computers. The F-Con S is the current model that is used as a piggy back and they may be upgrading to the SZ at some point in the future. Right now the V Pro is the only option to get things done the right way.

HKS said this directly "The current unit is tuned safely to handle headers, downpipe, and exhaust. Our concern is when a plenum is added due to the fact that air flow is increased dramatically over stock. This could create an unsafe lean condition."

hope this helps
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
PumpedVA

If you are getting a HKS kit I would have it tuned because mine is running lean now and I havent had it tuned yet.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
three50zcrazy

I also spoke to HKS today and they told me that I can run the headers and crawford cats. The F con S can be re tuned only by HKS pro dealer. I hope all goes well with this install this weekend.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
NismoGCoupe

the F CON SZ can be tuned to a degree and you can add headers and cats (HKS tech told me this) If you want to add a plenum thats where the problem comes from also told by HKS, this is where the swtiching of the fcon sz to the V comes in the V will allow you to just about add any mod you like and tune it dead on. remember this kit was made for a stock motor so that is why they didnt put the up graded FCON with it.
ok, I see that sounds better I thought you were saying you can't tune the F-Con SZ at all.

Well IMO the F-Con V EMS is a bit over board for this supercharger, wouldn't a better solution be get rid of the (2)HKS 525cc injectors, injector harness & the F Con SZ piggback and just by aftermarket injectors 330cc or 440cc and do all the tuning by ECU since altered atmosphere is capable of retuning your ECU by each bolt-on you would like to add??? just a thought

Last edited by NismoGCoupe; 11-09-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:47 PM
NismoGCoupe

ok, I see that sounds better I thought you were saying you can't tune the F-Con SZ at all.

Well IMO the F-Con V EMS is a bit over board for this supercharger, wouldn't a better solution be get rid of the (2)HKS 525cc injectors, injector harness & the F Con SZ piggback and just by aftermarket injectors 330cc or 440cc and do all the tuning by ECU since altered atmosphere is capable of retuning your ECU by each bolt-on you would like to add??? just a thought
Old 11-09-2004, 12:55 PM
PumpedVA

dont know bro I am just going this route for now. good thing is I am looking at adding a ton of HP
Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 PM
NismoGCoupe

dont know bro I am just going this route for now. good thing is I am looking at adding a ton of HP
well if your planning to make big number with your car then the F-con V will be good to have for the future, just curious how do you plan to make big number with this supercharger the most I can see it making is 450whp if that
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 PM
PumpedVA

Bro I dont want more than 450 anyway. Yea yea I know I say that now. LOL

Also guys I will update what is going to be added to my car to get the most out of this kit. I am not going to add price to that just parts.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:16 PM
PumpedVA

parts needed.

F-CON V pro version 3.2
press sensor / intake air temp harness
VPC AT sensor
pressure sensor super wide range
A/F knock amp
DC headers
Kinetix HF cats
Kinetix v4 plenum
Old 11-09-2004, 01:36 PM
schweatty

pumpedva,

careful with that kinetix plenum, its not meant for FI. kinetix is working on an aluminum intake specifically for FI. kinetix will only warrantee thier plenum up to 7 psi (tho it can take 8...supposedly). if i were you, i'd go with the crawford. just my $.02
Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 PM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by schweatty
pumpedva,

careful with that kinetix plenum, its not meant for FI. kinetix is working on an aluminum intake specifically for FI. kinetix will only warrantee thier plenum up to 7 psi (tho it can take 8...supposedly). if i were you, i'd go with the crawford. just my $.02
I dont plan on going over 7psi right now but plus I know many bros with this plenum and dont have a problem. but we shall see thanks for the tip. I am only running 5.8psi now
Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bro I dont have any mods to my motor but the HKS and my exhaust tips are black now to. I thought this kit was tuned perfect for stock motor?
I didn't have a problem until I added the Water Wetter. I'm really hoping/thinking this is just an issue with the coolant temps. My tips were looking richer than stock after the SC, but nothing like now. I also drove about 150 miles and about 10 starts on the SC without water wetter and no problems. If it's running a little rich, that's good. I just want to pass emissions and do no harm to the engine. My nearest HKS pro dealer is 100 miles away, but it may be worth a trip. First, I just want to get the codes from the ECU using my local Nissan dealer's dealer's consult tool, since they are only 3 miles away. I'll go from there. If it really just comes down to one day on a dyno with some F-CON tweaks, no biggie.

Last edited by Speedracer; 11-09-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Speedracer
I didn't have a problem until I added the Water Wetter. I'm really hoping/thinking this is just an issue with the coolant temps. My tips were looking richer than stock after the SC, but nothing like now. I also drove about 150 miles and about 10 starts on the SC without water wetter and no problems. If it's running a little rich, that's good. I just want to pass emissions and do no harm to the engine. My nearest HKS pro dealer is 100 miles away, but it may be worth a trip. First, I just want to get the codes from the ECU using my local Nissan dealer's dealer's consult tool, since they are only 3 miles away. I'll go from there. If it really just comes down to one day on a dyno with some F-CON tweaks, no biggie.

And let me add one more thing.....rich, yes, but the car is fast as hell!!!! If I could pass emissions and not screw up my engine, I would leave it this way.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:37 PM
PumpedVA

damn emissions
Old 11-10-2004, 07:29 AM
More Power

Originally posted by Speedracer
I didn't have a problem until I added the Water Wetter. I'm really hoping/thinking this is just an issue with the coolant temps. My tips were looking richer than stock after the SC, but nothing like now. I also drove about 150 miles and about 10 starts on the SC without water wetter and no problems. If it's running a little rich, that's good. I just want to pass emissions and do no harm to the engine. My nearest HKS pro dealer is 100 miles away, but it may be worth a trip.
I wonder if running the NISMO thermostat will cause our cars to run rich a little longer at startup/warmup each day. The NISMO thermosat opens more and quicker to help the engine run somewhat cooler to compensate for the additional heat created by forced induction. I have heard from several sources that the NISMO thermostat seems to really help with FI, though. Maybe you could use it and not use the water wetter. Several have told me that eventually the water wetter kind of gums up your radiator or something, but I make no claims to being an expert on water wetter. I was going to use it in my prior turbo car until I heard some negatives. I think the NISMO thermostat is a safer bet IMO. Glad to hear your car is FAST! Here's wishing you even More Power! My favorite way of traveling...

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??