Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:18 PM
DBZCat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by schweatty
pumpedVA,

i recently bought an HKS SC (i think from the same cat as you (350zonlinestore.com?....i got the last of the special deals). anyway, what is the status of tuning the F-CON S. is this thing tunable or not? im getting my SC installed by a HKS authorized dealer and they are under the impression this is a pure plug and play system no tuning necessary. they have not installed one of these SC on a Z yet, but have done quite a few Greddy and Vortech set-ups and are giving me a decent price on the install just to get their hands on one. i told them i am running headers, hi-flow cats, and a true dual exhaust, and that with these mods the F-CON should need to be tweaked. is this a true statement? is it even possible? i need to get smart on this before i give up my z (which i havent let anyone else touch) for a week.
who is installing your S/C?? when? I definitely want to check it out... and we can race!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:23 PM
DLin05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the HKS isn't plug and play for the people that have already done some playing on their Z's. Everyone is saying that they are running rich, can someone tell me what the ideal A/F ratio is?

Instead of switching from the F-Con S to the Pro, is there not other alternatives to fixing the A/F ratio? Maybe working something out with Technosquare or using the Greddy E-Manage or both maybe? How about the Apexi S-AFC? I just don't feel like spending the money for the Pro that I won't know how to use. Someone please set me straight.

The reason I'm so worried is because after I return from Canada next week I plan on installing my kit. My problem is that I already have a Crawford Plenum(traded in my stock) and I also have a set of Mines Test pipes I plan to put on.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:49 AM
PumpedVA

From what I was told and I am also running a o3 I have no problems with my kit at all. yes I am running rich judging by my black tail pipes. BUT my understanding is all kits are tuned to be a little on the rich side

As for the cats and headers they "HKS" said you can add these mods with no problem and very little effect to your AF mix. But when adding the plenum that is where the FCON S cant handle the AF mix.

But any pro dealer can tune the FCON and yes it can be tuned to get better AF mix but you can get that extra you need for the plenum so the ability to fully tune if just isnt happening. remember this FCON was set up for OEM motors. If it was me I would have the pro dealer install it and tell them you want your car dynoed to check the AF mix before you cut them a check.

DLin05 if you are running the crawford then you have to options that I to ran into with my plenum that is why its still sitting in the box. 1 you can take it off and put the OEM back on and save it for later 2 you can get the FCON Vpro so you can tune for the plenum, 3 you can wait for the AEM stand along to come out and not use the FCON V pro. But if it was me I would just take the plenum off right now and run the stock one.

Guy from all this reading about the HKS kits and seeing as most pro dealers havent even installed one yet I feel you should just get in installed and add NOTHING to it, Its such a new kit and I am pretty sure come spring time there will be alot more kits installed and more trial and error on what works and what dosent.

I will tell you if you want to add that plenum now its going to run you about $3000 In parts and intalling plus tuning. add the headers and cats you will be getting about 30 more HP.

I am in the same boat as you guys I have plenum headers and cats sitting in the boxes but I am not installing them yet because I want to see who comes out with what and see some more R&D from HKS done on these kits.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:59 AM
PumpedVA

I mean HKS has'nt even come out with there 9lb pully yet and we are allready looking to mod this kit. Trust me guys I am dieing to add mods to my car right now but I know for sure I will up grade to the 9lb pully but feel its better to wait and do all these mods (pully headers cats plenum) at once that way I am not paying a pop load of install fees and dyno fees.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Rushguy

Well I'm the next guinea pig, my Z was picked up yesterday for the HKS install. I'm going away for the holdiay and they'll be closed a couple of days so I won't have her back til next week. Hopefully I'll have a long happy post to make about it.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:16 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by Rushguy
Well I'm the next guinea pig, my Z was picked up yesterday for the HKS install. I'm going away for the holdiay and they'll be closed a couple of days so I won't have her back til next week. Hopefully I'll have a long happy post to make about it.
You will be happy
Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 PM
MR RIZK

Originally posted by PumpedVA
I mean HKS has'nt even come out with there 9lb pully yet
According to HKS this is to be released at the end of 1st QTR 2005
Old 11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
PumpedVA

thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
DLin05

....better start looking for a stock plenum...

maybe I should wait till after the dyno and see what the a/f ratio is
Old 11-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Speedracer

pumpedVA,

i recently bought an HKS SC (i think from the same cat as you (350zonlinestore.com?....i got the last of the special deals). anyway, what is the status of tuning the F-CON S. is this thing tunable or not? im getting my SC installed by a HKS authorized dealer and they are under the impression this is a pure plug and play system no tuning necessary. they have not installed one of these SC on a Z yet, but have done quite a few Greddy and Vortech set-ups and are giving me a decent price on the install just to get their hands on one. i told them i am running headers, hi-flow cats, and a true dual exhaust, and that with these mods the F-CON should need to be tweaked. is this a true statement? is it even possible? i need to get smart on this before i give up my z (which i havent let anyone else touch) for a week.

Firstly, HKS specifically states in the installation manual NOT to use this kit with aftermarket headers and/or cats without further adjustments to the fueling system. The system is plug-and-play on an otherwise stock Z, or one with nothing more than the cat- back. It is not plug-and-play for any mod that changes what the oxygen sensors see.

All that said, there have surfaced some programming glitches between the HKS programming and the late model ULEV2 cars causing DTC's 1271/1281 to be triggered along with a SES light. Car runs fine with fail-safe programming, but this issue still needs to be rectified.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:44 AM
More Power

Originally posted by Speedracer

All that said, there have surfaced some programming glitches between the HKS programming and the late model ULEV2 cars causing DTC's 1271/1281 to be triggered along with a SES light. Car runs fine with fail-safe programming, but this issue still needs to be rectified.
Please continue to give us updates when you get info on this. I have an early '04 production date. Peter of APS turbo fame seems to think I am susceptable to this glitch as well. I think he posted on another thread that even late '03 production dates were included. I hope HKS will sort all this out and remain on top of this as Nissan often tweeks our engine management system. And those tweeks need to be accounted for by HKS as they occur. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:23 AM
PumpedVA

maybe HKS needs to start putting the FCON V with the kits in place of the FCON S
Old 11-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Speedracer

Originally posted by PumpedVA
maybe HKS needs to start putting the FCON V with the kits in place of the FCON S
That wouldn't be such a bad idea...put some kind of base program in that can be adjusted. Still, the tight air:fuel requirements of the ULEV2 ECU's will have to be dealt with somehow. No way in hell you could really lean out your FI mix to what those ECU's require.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:24 PM
schweatty

Originally posted by Speedracer
Firstly, HKS specifically states in the installation manual NOT to use this kit with aftermarket headers and/or cats without further adjustments to the fueling system. The system is plug-and-play on an otherwise stock Z, or one with nothing more than the cat- back. It is not plug-and-play for any mod that changes what the oxygen sensors see.

of course HKS is going to specifically state this kit is not for use with headers, cats, etc... if something were to go wrong they are limitting their liability. my question is this: did they think everyone that bought their kit was going to run a completely stock set-up? the type of person who installs this kit is by nature a modder and is going to try everything they can to get the most out of the engine they have. my only real beef is with the total lack of flexibility of the F-CON S
Old 11-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Speedracer

of course HKS is going to specifically state this kit is not for use with headers, cats, etc... if something were to go wrong they are limitting their liability. my question is this: did they think everyone that bought their kit was going to run a completely stock set-up? the type of person who installs this kit is by nature a modder and is going to try everything they can to get the most out of the engine they have. my only real beef is with the total lack of flexibility of the F-CON S
Well....why don't we get the F-CON S working right first before we even begin to think about modding (hehehe!!!!)
Old 11-25-2004, 11:39 AM
DLin05

schweatty...I bought the kit for its out of the box readiness. I knew I was going to keep moddin after the kit, but didnt plan on raising the boost sky high. I never thought a couple simple breathing mods would be such a problem.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:00 PM
schweatty

you and me thought wrong. according to HKS if you want to add breathing mods and dont want a lean condition to develop, there will have to be a fuel/engine management adjustment. my guess right now off the top of my head is they are going to introduce a stage 2 sometime next year with a 9 lb pulley and unlock the F-CON S (maybe even include a F-CON V instead). Anyway, my installer is working it with HKS right now after i told him the conversation i had with them.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:40 PM
APS
Banned

Default Re: HKS Supercharger

Originally posted by TN350ZBLK
Just got my car back after 6 weeks waiting on a replacement
supercharger. Most of the problems have been corrected
except:

Check engine light still on

Fuel Guage does not read accurately-When it reads empty still
has about 1/4 tank. Any suggestions?

I'm very satisfied with the overall usable power in the lower
RPM range but not with the high end. It was Dyno tested on
a DYNO DYNAMICS DYNAMOMETER with Max HP of 347.3 and
288WHP with full A/C.

I'll be interested to know what others are going to do to correct
the "rich" fuel conditions.

TIA,
Greg
Just to confirm what you're saying, I take it that the HKS Supercharged Z made 347 HP (which I believe is estimated crankshaft power) and 288 rwhp.............is this correct?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by APS; 11-25-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Speedracer

Default Re: Re: HKS Supercharger

Originally posted by APS
Just to confirm what you're saying, I take it that the HKS Supercharged Z made 347 HP (which I believe is estimated crankshaft power) and 288 rwhp.............is this correct?

Thanks

Peter
Peter,

My HKS SC dyno'd at 327rear wheel hp and 328lb-ft rear wheel torque. This was with the Nismo cat-back as the only other "power" mod. HKS claims a power gain of 80hp at the wheels, so they are right on the money in this regard. Approx 400hp at the crank. This was on 93 octane fuel using a hub dyno. The install was done at XX tuning in Wethersfield, CT. They are actually a big dealer of your products and are currently doing an APS install on a Z right now. They are very close to my home, and had I known at the time that they were an APS dealer, which I didn't find out until after i purchased my HKS kit, I would have probably chosen you kit over the HKS SC. In fact, if I don't get the HKS engine mangement stuff sorted out soon, I'm going to pull the HKS system, and go with the APS TT kit on a built motor. Please assure me that it'll work on my ULEV2 vehicle. This, of course, is assuming I can get money back on my $9500 investment.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speed - what I dont understand is that if this is an issue stemming from the newer 04 and up ecu's, this should effect every aftermarket FI kit out there, as they all use some way of altering fuel signals.

I wonder if when TS releases their later 04 reflash, whether this will help clear things up

Quick Reply: What is your take on the new HKS supercharger??