Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Backfire with Emanage on start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Jagdave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfire with Emanage on start up

Has anybody out there experienced a loud backfire in the intake when switching on the ignition?
Here's what happens - every time I park the Z and leave it for a couple of hours, when I come to start the car but before cranking the engine there is a LOUD explosion in the intake manifold. After a lot of head scratching and theorising we discovered that there is a spark generated at all six ignition coils when the key is moved to position 2. This is igniting the unburnt fuel vapours in the intake manifold and so causing the backfire. We have checked an unmodified car and this spark is not present so we have concluded that it is being generated by the Emanage unit.
The car has a ProCharger, big injectors with a return system and the Emanage is fitted with the optional injector and ignition harnesses, the latter has the diodes fitted and they are okay.
If anyone has had this problem with the GReddy unit and has fixed it please let me know what you did - these explosions are loud enough to bring the neighbours out and I'm worried somethings going to give!
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-02-2004, 02:36 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I do not have that problem but do not have the ignition harness but do have the J&S Safeguard, so it might be the ignition harness, if no one else has the problem it might be the wiring you might want to double check.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Jagdave

Thanks for the reply. I did a search for this problem and it seems I'm not alone - Sammy JL did you ever fix the backfire on your car?
After double and triple checking the wiring, I decided to remove the ignition harness to narrow down the fault. With the Emanage ignition harness out of the way the spark is no longer present so we're now sure it's a problem with the Emanage unit. I should add that the car was running faultlessly for three weeks before showing signs of the backfire. I tried contacting GReddy today but everyones at SEMA, I'm hoping they can shed some light on this tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:45 PM
westpak
SFZCC

OK, just in case here is a file I found from derek or ACP regarding the wiring of the ignition harness in case it helps.
http://www.sfzcc.com/gus/z33ignitioninstall.pdf
Old 11-03-2004, 04:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which version of the eManage firmware do you have? It's possible you might need an upgrade, as they made some changes to the latest firmwarer to support the Z33.

I have the harness, and no backfiring.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:16 AM
ACP

Originally posted by gq_626
Which version of the eManage firmware do you have? It's possible you might need an upgrade, as they made some changes to the latest firmwarer to support the Z33.

I have the harness, and no backfiring.
Greddy never got this upgrade done
When I changed pins to the supposed "new" settings for the Z33, I had nothing but problems. and the car would barely run.
Kenja from GReddy had me put it back

Jagdave, I had this back fire problem before. I don't know what caused it, but I reinitlized, and it fixed it.
Try that.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Jagdave

Thanks for the input guys. My firmware is 1.39, I am going to reinitialise the Emanage tonight after reconnecting my ignition harness to see if this goes away. What is bugging me is that the car ran fine for a time before starting to backfire- but then maybe that's computers for you! I can say that the problem is caused by the spark generated at the coils in position II, if anyone else has this problem just remove #2 coil and use a scewdriver inserted in the end to check for a spark when switching on.

ACP, we had a J&S Safeguard before fitting the Emanage but I thought the two were incompatible, how is yours working?

Dave
Old 11-03-2004, 01:48 PM
cjb80

Cars will fire on all cylinders to start up quickly because the ECU has not syncronized with the cam shafts. The ECU doesn't know what cycle the motor it is on, and therefore it tries to fire all cylinders so that at least one of them will fire. When the motor turns over a couple times it will be all syncronized and then fire with the correct firing order.

Chris
Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jagdave
if anyone else has this problem just remove #2 coil and use a scewdriver inserted in the end to check for a spark when switching on.
Dave
Say what!? Are you serious? There is a lot of current coming off that coil pack. How exactly is this safe?? I know...I am electrically challenged...please help me understand.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 PM
cariza

JagDave is helping me out with my car. Heres the latest update:

ACP: HOW can I re-initialize the Greddy emanage?? I uploaded the firmware version 1.39 again but nothing was reset. All my fuel and timing values were still there. How can you do a complete reset????

Looking to see if there was another update I found out at http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/

Firmware update 1.42 can be downloaded along with support tool update 1.13

When I did the firmware update I got an error code on the emanage, the red light started to blink to show a fault code. I double checked how to to othe update (you need to overwrite the GSC01.P file in the greddy folder and THEN uploaded to the emanage with the support tool) Still got the same error message. I didnt want to fire up the car with this fault code.

I turned back the firmware to the original 1.39 and was back to running well WITH the backfire.

Anyone want to update their firmware with 1.42 and check back to see if you had any problems? Keep version 1.39 in the computer as a backup though.

Everyday Im more certain this is bug with the firmware, and since all the Greddy techs are at SEMA, Im stranded.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:19 PM
etx

Originally posted by gq_626
Say what!? Are you serious? There is a lot of current coming off that coil pack. How exactly is this safe?? I know...I am electrically challenged...please help me understand.
High voltage, low amperage. It's like a pebble going 100 mph is more deadly than a boulder going 2 mph. You just put a screw driver into the coil pack and set it near a ground so it will arc to that ground, just like it does normally only it's sending current throught the plug and grounding to the head.

Originally posted by cariza

Everyday Im more certain this is bug with the firmware, and since all the Greddy techs are at SEMA, Im stranded.
Cool, when you talk to them suggest a studder box and Add injector map scaler in the next software rev. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Jagdave

Originally posted by cjb80
Cars will fire on all cylinders to start up quickly because the ECU has not syncronized with the cam shafts.
Chris
Perhaps I wasn't being clear on this - the spark occurs before cranking when the key is turned from accessory to ignition on. This is igniting the unburned fuel in the manifold and causing the backfire.

Dave
Old 11-04-2004, 06:55 AM
etx

Perhaps your setup is injecting some fuel for whatever reason when you shut it off, then it ignites when you turn it back on. Your just using the e-manage piggy back? Where did you get it? How old is it? Any reason why it would dump some fuel in after the ignition is turned off?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:52 PM
350G

No ignition harness . . . no probs

I wonder if Greddy will ever get this harness figured out . . . in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
redline tt

wish i could help i have tt kit and have had no probs like that.