Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

More on 8 sec. 350Z & planned HKS supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:42 AM
More Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on 8 sec. 350Z & planned HKS supercharger

This video has already been posted on another thread for the 8 sec for the qtr. mile 350 Z:

<http://www.theexperience.com/videos/...-hairy-512.wmv>

Now here's some more of the story:

The engine builder for this car told me that the 8.33 sec. @ 176 mph 350 Z is stock bodied. Weighs 3050 lbs. He said they, Peformance Motorsports, are using our 3.5 L VQ with their sleeves, pistons and Carillo rods. Most of the engine is stock! They are running twin turbos at 30 to 33 psi boost, whew! NISMO limited slip differential, Driveshaft Shop axles, and an automatic tranny. They are making at least 1300 hp to the wheels to get that heavy stock bodied car to 8 sec qtr. miles. They are running our stock plenum! The reason they are running BFG drag radials rather than slicks is that their class requires street tires. He told me that the Z broke loose way down the track because one of the tires caught in a groove on the track and caused the unwanted left turn, ha.

The engine builder told me that they are R&Ding a setup good for about 450 hp to the wheels (for sale to customers) for our 350 Zs based on the HKS supercharger. That is on stock internals and about as far as you want to push the stock internals, he said. I think I will stay more like at no more than 350 to 400 hp to the wheels for perceived reliability. Their goal is to stay with the stock 7 psi of boost for ultimate supercharger reliability. I will probably go with the HKS supercharger which is why I am interested in what they’re doing. They are still R&Ding vavle work, porting, hi flow cats, exhausts, headers and frankly everything… Incidentally their engine guy says people are breaking rods in our VQ from excessive RPMs moreso than too much power. He said the VQ has a lot of light weight internals and that’s good for performance but it should not be run at higher than stock rpms on stock internals. That’s just his opinion. I don’t want to argue that point cause frankly I don’t know, but thought I’d add that in case anyone is interested. He says their goals are for a very streetable smooth, idling, and reliable 350 Z, but very quick for a stock internals street car. The engine builder said he has 25 years experience building forced induction engines. It will be very interesting to see how they do. That’s all I remember from our conversation.

Last edited by More Power; 11-19-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

that's awesome. keep us updated.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:09 PM
webcarconnection

OMG that car is awesome... who said that the VQ35 is not capable of 1000 + WHP
Old 11-19-2004, 02:24 PM
dansouliere

If the Carillo rods are good for 1300hp+ then why does everybody want the heavier Pauter rods?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:48 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by dansouliere
If the Carillo rods are good for 1300hp+ then why does everybody want the heavier Pauter rods?

Pauter are cheaper, better, a known name thoughout racing and there was a group buy on them.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
veilside350zTT

Im confused lol. WHat exactly does this car have done to it to hit 8 sec 1/4miles.?? is their a list of mods we can see?
Old 11-19-2004, 10:19 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of the engine is stock? What is stock besides the crank and intake manifold?

I wouldnt call that mostly stock... mostly stock are those 800+ rwhp supras with 50,000+ miles on an original engine without ever having the head off... a VQ35DE is not gonna make 1000+ mostly stock.

The question I have is... who is their engine builder?

-Charles

Last edited by phunk; 11-19-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Marko

Give us updates, there are a lot of haters who will not believe anything good. most people do not have faith in stock things these days, companies know that people are going to push hte enignes and they know that the numbers are going to be pushed. Rock on and puch the envelope, if people do not, then the tuning world is dead. Please live on for me, I love you!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:20 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

ehh... im not a hater at all... im just saying that a stock intake manifold and stock crankshaft does not mean a "mostly stock" engine to me. That engine is no where near stock.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree - I know the guys at Performance, but there is nothing "mostly stock" about a motor with built internals.

Pauter is better known that Carillo in "racing circles"- guess it depends on the circles
Old 11-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious what kind of engine management they are running.

Also, lets not get into a pissing match of who's rods are better than others. Just about every forged rod and piston manufacturer makes excellent qulaity product. Personally, I like the Pauter rods becuase the price is reasonable, and they are PERFECT out of the box. Many NASCAR teams use Pauter rods becuase they are almost indistructable.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:17 AM
G3po

Default rods

Originally posted by gq_626
Curious what kind of engine management they are running.

Also, lets not get into a pissing match of who's rods are better than others. Just about every forged rod and piston manufacturer makes excellent qulaity product. Personally, I like the Pauter rods becuase the price is reasonable, and they are PERFECT out of the box. Many NASCAR teams use Pauter rods becuase they are almost indistructable.
Also note Pauters have been refered to as heavy,well the majority of the weight is at the big end which has much less effect on high RPM efficiency. Reduction of piston mass is a more important factor.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Enron Exec

I talked to Vin at Performance Motorsports about a week back and he told me they are also planning on selling a crate motor, simular to the one they used in the 8.33 sec run. No idea on the time frame but im sure it will cost a pretty pennie for that level of performance. Oh yea, they did resleeve that block in house according to him.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Lorca@Z1

Originally posted by spazpilot
Pauter are cheaper, better, a known name thoughout racing and there was a group buy on them.
Sigh, the only accurate part of that statement is "there was a group buy on them"
Old 11-20-2004, 04:11 PM
MEGA_BB6_Turbo

hmmm 30 lbs. of boost on twin turbos?? Does anyone know what size these turbos were?

Also...what would be considered excessive RPMS on stock internals in which you speak of?

Last edited by MEGA_BB6_Turbo; 11-20-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:48 PM
More Power

Originally posted by MEGA_BB6_Turbo
hmmm 30 lbs. of boost on twin turbos?? Does anyone know what size these turbos were?

Also...what would be considered excessive RPMS on stock internals in which you speak of?

Regarding a post from someone(s) else: The impression I got from Vin and the term I think he used was "much" about the engine was not changed (stock). He only mentioned that the sleeves, rods, and rods were not stock when I asked him about the internals. That's not the same as saying nothing else was not stock. I specifically asked him about the plenum and he mentioned that it was stock and discussed that a bit. I had a conversation with him and posted what he said in case anyone is interested. I don't think we should over lawyer this to death based on one conversation. Let's not miss seeing the forest for the trees in the way and get into a pissing contest over semantics. The point is this is an awsome car and is still our 3.5 L VQ and stock bodied. Quite impressive...

Regarding your post: When Vin mentioned exessive RPMs, the context was that he said he would not rev it over the stock redline on stock internals. He said he would never raise the rev limiter on stock internals. He mentioned that plenty of power is available without going over the stock redline.

Last edited by More Power; 11-20-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it uses a Motec BTW, and twin Turbonetics turbos
Old 11-20-2004, 07:49 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

yea carillo rods are very premium... but pauters will do everything that almost anyone needs.

people worry about a lot of smaller factors that are less important in our street cars... a pauter rod is definatly a heavier rod... but ill promise you one thing... once you finish your built FI 350z and your driving around with 500-700rwhp enjoying every second if it... you will NOT EVER ONCE think to yourself "MAN I wish I used the lighter connecting rod". Pauter, Crower, Cunningham... they are all 100% quality and your gonna have some serious trouble trying to destroy any of them.

Saving your grams on your connecting rods over the decently light popular brands is never going to give you any results that you notice or are aware of. I have never heard anyone with carillo rods say to me "i can feel how light and strong these rods are, its a whole different car cause of my rods"... thats not how it works... as long as you not breaking a rod or worrying about breaking a rod your never gonna even think about the damn rods. You get your dope forged steel rods, and then thats it, its over with.

Last edited by phunk; 11-20-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:10 PM
turbo-maxima

maybe he means stock head, stock cams, only changing rods and pistons is not tha much engine work
Old 11-21-2004, 06:54 AM
MEGA_BB6_Turbo

what size turbonetics? obviously it was a custom piping job. Intricate specifications would be greatly appreciated =).

hahah nice trees in the forest analogy

Quick Reply: More on 8 sec. 350Z & planned HKS supercharger