Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

G35 or 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 03:33 PM
lennox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simply put you can turn a G into a Z but you can't turn a Z into a G. get the G35 and add a Z suspension and a few mods, the Z is NOT that much quicker than a G, but don't get me wrong the Z is a nice ride but I needed the rear seat.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:24 PM
zmegoby

For a DD I would go with the G35 but if you are buying a weekend warrior go with the Z.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:56 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z = Yamaha R1

G= Harley Davidson

haha j/k just making ridiculous and bias comparisons like the rest.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Silkk

Figured I'd poke some fun at you G owners. Don't cry...

The reason I chose the Z:
1) Looks more agressive.
2) Didn't WANT 4 seats.
3) Better performer (slightly).

To illustrate point "1)" here is a little comparison I did with the G and similar looking cars. I couldn't find any pics to compare the Z to b/c it's not possible.

G Coupe

Acura RS-X

SCION, Boo-yah

Don't you agree they look similar? My buddy told me if you put a Scion logo on the G you cant tell the difference. See my next post.

(Keep in mind I'm just kidding guys, I just want to rile y'all up)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Silkk

I think my buddy is right.

In the spirit of the holiday, I bring you the Scion GC!!!

I couldn't resist doing a little MS PAINT...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:32 AM
partyman66

G35 might cost more in stock form....

But if you compare a stock G35 Coupe to the entry model Z, you're not really comparing the same things. The stock G35 is more comparable to the 350Z Touring line. Look at what the G35 comes with stock.... Leather seats, side impact airbags, VDC and TCS Systems,Viscous limited-slip differential, Brembro Brakes on the 03-04 MT's with 18" rims(If you want these on a Z, you'd better fork over the cash for the high models, and also not get any luxury options with it, because you're going to be getting a higher model Z). Plus you can get the G with a sunroof.

The G35 gives you more for your money.

As far as looks are concernred, I like the back end of the G35 better than the 350Z, but I like the front end of the Z better than the G. Side angle is a toss-up.

But for an 04 G35 Coupe $33K MSRP got you get leather seats and other luxury options, 18" rims, Brembro brakes, side impact air-bags, a prettier interior, better warranty, VDC and TCS, Viscous limited-slip differential.... none of which come standard on the base model $27.5K 350Z. If you want to buy a 350Z with all these options that come stock on the G35 Coupe MT... you have to go spend $36K MSRP on the 2006 Grand Touring 350Z, and you still won't have side-impact air-bags or as good of a warranty as the Infiniti counterpart. You're spending more money for less car, lesser practicality and fewer seats... all for maybe one tenth of a second 0-60 time and a hardly noticeable handling advantage.

Last edited by partyman66; 12-21-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Silkk

But it looks like a Scion bro...

In all seriousness though, I paid 22.5k for my enthusiast Z (had a little under 10k on the clock), upgraded to suede/leather seats, DVD/navigation, and 18" wheels for about 2k... Putting me at 24.5k total.

I couldn't find a used G for less than 30k... How is that more for the money? I don't have side impact airbags or brembos, admittedly, but they aren't worth 5-6k for me... AND my Z still performs better and looks more agressive/exotic?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
SilverII

Plus you can get bluetooth with G..... makes it luxurious....
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Silkk

Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
G35GLH

Originally Posted by Silkk
But it looks like a Scion bro...

In all seriousness though, I paid 22.5k for my enthusiast Z (had a little under 10k on the clock), upgraded to suede/leather seats, DVD/navigation, and 18" wheels for about 2k... Putting me at 24.5k total.

I couldn't find a used G for less than 30k... How is that more for the money? I don't have side impact airbags or brembos, admittedly, but they aren't worth 5-6k for me... AND my Z still performs better and looks more agressive/exotic?
How is it more for the money? It holds its value better than the 350z. Therefore it IS indeed more for the money. And about the scion? I do agree they look alike but thats because toyota has a brilliant team of R&D'ers who knew to copy the C-Pillar of the G. Scion came after. And well I can think of a few cars the Z looks like that are "not so nice" but I don't poke fun.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
partyman66

Well, for one....
We have to compare MSRP or True Market Value... not "what some guy paid for his car".

Secondly, aftermarket mods don't count into the equation.... because if they were, then someone could theoreticly throw a supercharger in my G35 and then say it performs better than a Z.

The comparison is a stock G35 vs a stock 350Z. What we do to our cars after that is up to each individual owner.

The G35 has bluetooth too, and G35's retain their value better on the market than 350Z's... which is why they're harder to find for under $30K used.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Fair-Lady

Still got to give the G35C some credits though.

The lack of a front tower brace means less understeer through tight turns. (AutoX proven) Better factory tires means better grip and stability through sweepers.

Backseats are good for friends who want to check out the pop up Navigation and evading bird dropping coming through the sunroof.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Silkk

^ I love the G Coupe... I'm just poking fun. If I had a wife and young kids, I'd definitely be in a G instead, but I don't...
Old 12-21-2005, 12:10 PM
SpeedGeek

I hate anything with wheels.

...now where did i park my hovercraft.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

girls know the difference between nissan and infiniti.. nuff said! pimp on playa's
Old 12-21-2005, 01:57 PM
down_shift

They're pretty much the same car. If you're into the speed, yes on paper the Z is lighter etc. But in reality, 90% of the drivers will not be able to make any difference on a G vs Z 1320 run.

The thing I like about the Z the most though is the option for cloth. I'm obsessed with cloth interior!! The steering wheel and gauge set up on the Z looks awesome too. The mid gauge section is my favorite part.

The G has more toys, and has alot more fancier features. I have an 04, so I don't have the Bluetooth and all those toys.. I do have the brembo's etc though. My car hasn't had as many rattles or problems as my Z buddies. The interior does look a little bit better, but not the best I've owned.

The trunk space is just about the same.. The only plus is the back seats that can fold down. I was quite amazed at the trunk space of my G since I never really looked at the trunk (was an impulsive buy).

If you're going to mod the car, there wouldn't be a huge difference since you'll be changing suspension parts etc. Although I think the Z would probably be a better platform because there are more exhaust options etc.. but they can all be modified to fit a G.

I say if you had the money, get the G.. You'd rather get more and have room to play with than to regret not getting the G. The resale on the G is higher right now since there is a bigger demand (eps for the 6MT). If you still want the VQ engine etc but can't pick up the G, pick up the Z. I'm not saying it's a cheaper alternative, but I'd like to start with everything and then slowly take away what I don't like. It's harder to buy a 28k car and add things to make it a 30+k car.

I looked into a Z first (coming from a Integra, RSX-S, and a S2k). The Z was ok, but the G was more options.

Last edited by down_shift; 12-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Perfect350Z

Wink

This is the most retarded post. Of course the G35 is a much nicer car and much better all around:

-It has much more room
-It can be used as an everyday car with everyday convenience
-The 8 speaker stereo system blows the 350z's away!
-The 19" rims look much better
-The car is more classy
-The leather is 100x more comfortable
-Sunroof!!!
-The seating position is much better
-Infiniti service is better when needed
-Ladies love the word "Infiniti"
-smoother ride
-G35 handles better
-OK ... the 350z might be slightly faster with "highly skilled" drivers, BUT

My buddy Bob just got Cats, Greddy Exhaust and pop charger on his 350z. I pulled out in front by 2 car lengths by 120mph! whaaaaattt??? True story

And the list goes on and on and on and on and on.... The G is hands down the better car!

Don't be haters!
Attached Thumbnails G35 or 350Z?-2.jpg  
Old 12-21-2005, 06:18 PM
trey.hutcheson

I have a sedan... but if I were to get a 2door, I would have to get the z. At first, I didn't care for the look of the z. I really loved the look of the g coupe. But after a while, I've flipped. I totally love the look of the z, but the g coupe is just "so-so" now.

As others have noted, it's all about priorities. I'm into drag racing and autocrossing. If I didn't care about it being a daily driver, then I'd choose the z. But then again, if I didn't care about it being a daily driver, I'd prolly choose a different car entirely; like maybe a boxter s.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM
wickedGee35

Z driver = I couldn't afford 10 more G's to get the real deal so I bought something "similar."

Infiniti - "own one and you'll understand"

b*tches... you have the same motor, 2 seats only, and a crappy interior. Get over yourselves.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
tweaksalot

LMAO

Quick Reply: G35 or 350Z?