Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

Hydrolocked my engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Logikal_Disasta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocked my engine

a couple of weeks ago i was driving in some severe weather. i have an injen CAI and i sucked up some water and it entered my engine. the engine shut down on the spot. after getting it towed to my house i took out the spark plugs to release compression and rolled the car, popped the clutch in first, still no crank over. i let it sit for about a week, put the plugs back in and it fired up. Now i have a loud clackin noise i believe to be the valves. currently i am doing an oil flush to see if i can salvage this engine or not.

any suggestions, ideas, experiences????

thanks a lot.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 AM
reptile718

Damn man sorry to hear that, I have an Injen CAI and have driven through some pretty bad stuff without incident. I purchased the hydroshield from Injen and it works pretty well at keeping the water out, granted its not water proof or anything but an extra security measure to insure the safety of the engine. I would change the oil, put a little miracle oil in each cylinder while the plugs are out, replace plugs and buy a fuel additive to clean out your engine. Good Luck, the engine should be okay.

PS - I would also reset the comp. just in case (I am pretty sure technosquare website had info on how to do this).

Last edited by reptile718; 06-18-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
reptile718

Almost forgot, remove your CAI and clean it out, re-oil the filter and make sure the MAF sensor is clean.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by reptile718
Almost forgot, remove your CAI and clean it out, re-oil the filter and make sure the MAF sensor is clean.
yeah thanks, i have done all of the above. no need to add mineral oil to the cylinders b/c they are not frozen. the engine runs rather smoothly, except the clacking noise of the valves like i said. i have done an oil flush and still no change. im afriad that the valves might be bent and need replacing. im going to look into the injen hydrosheild.

thanks a lot for your imput.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 PM
lovetoclown

I have the same intake and also hydrolocked my motor. Lucky for me, My engine was at idle and I was able to pull the plugs and crank the motor over to get the water out. I let it dry overnight and used some throttle cleaner. Cranked it a few more times, replaced the plugs, changed the oil and filter and almost a year later and she's doin fine. If you have a noise, your basicly screwed. If your engine was reved up, you more than likley bent a valve or two. Good luck and I hope you get her runnin.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovetoclown
I have the same intake and also hydrolocked my motor. Lucky for me, My engine was at idle and I was able to pull the plugs and crank the motor over to get the water out. I let it dry overnight and used some throttle cleaner. Cranked it a few more times, replaced the plugs, changed the oil and filter and almost a year later and she's doin fine. If you have a noise, your basicly screwed. If your engine was reved up, you more than likley bent a valve or two. Good luck and I hope you get her runnin.
this just happened to me the other day, was your oil "milky". I was told if my oil is milky I sucked in water, but if it was normal I just flooded the sensor....
Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

If you sucked up that much water to Hydrolock your motor, then the clacking noise you hear is a piston skirt hitting the crank shaft due to a bent rod. Water does ot compress and causes the rod to bend or break when it attempts to compress in the cylinder.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 AM
EriksonFL

^+1
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 AM
rpacman

Houston is getting pounded with rain and the streets are pretty flooded. I had to drive my z thru it. I have the same intake and hydroshield. I made it to my garage downtown. Just wondering from you guys, Is hydrolock pretty much an instance circumstance?? My engine sounds good. Should I be worried?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
If you sucked up that much water to Hydrolock your motor, then the clacking noise you hear is a piston skirt hitting the crank shaft due to a bent rod. Water does ot compress and causes the rod to bend or break when it attempts to compress in the cylinder.
+1..

If I Were you I would not run the Engine at all and get it fixed before something breaks and it really costs you a lot of money to repair. (Although it will be expensive now)

Where is your filter for you CAI? I would like to see pictures. I have the K&N Typhoon for 2 years without issue. It has several safeguards against Getting water in.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by rpacman
Houston is getting pounded with rain and the streets are pretty flooded. I had to drive my z thru it. I have the same intake and hydroshield. I made it to my garage downtown. Just wondering from you guys, Is hydrolock pretty much an instance circumstance?? My engine sounds good. Should I be worried?
To experience hydrolock one would have to completely submerge the air intake and suck up tons of water in to the engine. Rain simply is not enough, one must drive into a deep puddle.
If the rain is that bad, then driving a sportscar is probably not a good decision.....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 AM
rpacman

yes, i agree. Unfortunately, i was in the middle of it before I knew. And yes, I had to cross a stream. Not the smartest, but it was a must, because the water was just getting deeper around me. Hydrolock is instance correct??
Old 06-19-2006, 06:20 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpacman
yes, i agree. Unfortunately, i was in the middle of it before I knew. And yes, I had to cross a stream. Not the smartest, but it was a must, because the water was just getting deeper around me. Hydrolock is instance correct??
If you have to cross a stream, Stop and take off the "Down Pipe" Section of your intake below the MAF if possible. Granted you will be running without a filter for a few mintues, but you shouldnt suck up any water unless it is over your headlights.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

lets say I didnt hydrolock my motor, but did suck "some" water into the engine. What would be the best percaution to make sure everything is good to go?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM
rpacman

^^+1
Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 AM
rpacman

any ideas ladies and gentlemen??
Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by CarbonLTD
this just happened to me the other day, was your oil "milky". I was told if my oil is milky I sucked in water, but if it was normal I just flooded the sensor....

yeah my oil looked "milky" basically what i did was run into a large puddle on the freeway, and a couple of feet later my engin shut down, so yeah hydrolocking is instant. im sure i did bend a valve, im waiting for the state to call me back, b/c since there was a dip in the road that collected the puddle it is a "road defect" and the state should pay for any damages.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM
eyustfu

good luck with that but i highly doubt the state will repair all of the damages, i could be wrong though.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Logikal_Disasta
yeah my oil looked "milky" basically what i did was run into a large puddle on the freeway, and a couple of feet later my engin shut down, so yeah hydrolocking is instant. im sure i did bend a valve, im waiting for the state to call me back, b/c since there was a dip in the road that collected the puddle it is a "road defect" and the state should pay for any damages.
just put the stock air box on and take it to the dealer. tell them the car just shut down.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
To experience hydrolock one would have to completely submerge the air intake and suck up tons of water in to the engine. Rain simply is not enough, one must drive into a deep puddle.
If the rain is that bad, then driving a sportscar is probably not a good decision.....
Correct. It is almost impossible to actually "hydrolock" an engine. The air inlet would have to be totally submerged, so that no air could enter (just like a pump inlet). And if that happened, the engine would almost certainly stall before any significant amount of water could actually be ingested.

bill

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked my engine