Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

What advantages does the G have over the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM
mindless_zombie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own either but if I had money, i'd buy both a G35 and a 350z. Just because I like em so much.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:40 PM
AUS10TAT10US

obviously, both cars are amazing. but here are a few reasons why i chose the Z over the G.

1. why would i pay a significant amount more for a slower car? (and no i am not all about performance)

2. the Z has A LOT more heritage than the G. it has history. the G just showed up as the Z's sister car and has only existed 3-4 yrs. why do u think the stock power cannot exceed the Z's? you cant have the 2nd car be better than the 1st.

3. dont get me wrong both cars are sexy, BUT i feel the Z flows better...the G's back-end just abruptly ends. they're lucky they have those sexy taillights.

4. other things that stand out to me for the Z: the door handles, the 3 gauge pods on the dash, the sharp taillights, the body style, the rear strut bar

the G is sexy as hell, more luxurious and a great car, but in terms of price and performance it is no comparison to the Z. the Z just has a presence about it and looks meaner.

my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
down_shift

lol I can't believe this thread is still going... make note my sarcastic posts in previous pages
Old 01-24-2007, 04:54 PM
down_shift

I Bought My G Because People Told Me It Was A Skyline.. But When I Got It--- No Turbo No Awd.. Wtf Bbq I Got Served
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
down_shift

Originally Posted by AUS10TAT10US
obviously, both cars are amazing. but here are a few reasons why i chose the Z over the G.

1. why would i pay a significant amount more for a slower car? (and no i am not all about performance)

2. the Z has A LOT more heritage than the G. it has history. the G just showed up as the Z's sister car and has only existed 3-4 yrs. why do u think the stock power cannot exceed the Z's? you cant have the 2nd car be better than the 1st.

3. dont get me wrong both cars are sexy, BUT i feel the Z flows better...the G's back-end just abruptly ends. they're lucky they have those sexy taillights.

4. other things that stand out to me for the Z: the door handles, the 3 gauge pods on the dash, the sharp taillights, the body style, the rear strut bar

the G is sexy as hell, more luxurious and a great car, but in terms of price and performance it is no comparison to the Z. the Z just has a presence about it and looks meaner.

my 2 cents.

Uhh dude.. not to burst your bubble.. but the G is acutally about 9 years OLDER than the Z. The Z wasn't concieved until ~1961... The Skyline was born on 1952

...Nissan released its first version of a modern two passenger, open roadster, the Datsun Fairlady 1500 in 1961. ... First original luxury Skyline.. introduced in 1952 under the Prince marque

Last edited by down_shift; 01-24-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:01 PM
down_shift

If you guys want to talk about heritage put a fair lady Z up against a R34 lofl

(Just trying to start more fire for this flame thread woot)
Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
AUS10TAT10US

make no mistake, the g35 is no skyline gt-r. in america, the Z has been around for a lot longer than the G. don't give me that "alias" or "derivative" stuff either. "oh it was named that in japan-so therefore i can just use it in America and think it was actually a skyline." the g has NO resemblance to past skylines. the Z has combined style cues from all of the past Z's. u guys just want to add skyline on your car to make it look faster. fact of the matter is, the fairladyz was never sold here in the US, neither was the skyline. the "Z" name by itself has heritage...much more than the "G", if the G even has any. therefore i will never consider a G a TRUE skyline.

but that aside, both are great cars. you cant go wrong with either.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
AUS10TAT10US

true skyline has to be JDM.

no offense to africans or black people, but just cause you're black doesn't mean you're from a tribe. hahaha

what are u guys going to do when the TRUE SKYLINE GT-R comes out?

Last edited by AUS10TAT10US; 01-24-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:33 PM
SteveZ

Talking

Originally Posted by Diesel350z
The G is Heavier
Woo woo! All of what, 200 lbs considering it is longer, has a back seat, blah, blah blah? C'mon, no sh*t it's heavier, but not as much as you would expect given no heavy hatch lid up top, despite about 8 extra inches of car and a full back seat that is not too bad at all if you're 5'10" or under. Makes good use of Al in the trunk lid and other areas to keep the weight close. The hatch stock on a Z is no lightweight, something like 70 lbs.

I've had both, like them both - the Z is a bit more of a b*tch, where the G is closer to the girl you might take home to mom - of course she'd disapprove of both ;-)

I happen to find the G a vastly superior machine - taking 2 kids to school every day, the car I can drive is much better than the one sitting in the garage because it won't hold 2 passengers

Actually until 2005 or so there was a bit stiffer rear spring in the Z's back end, now they are the same again if you have the 19" wheels on the G. Depends on the year, the sways have been same later models, slightly less stiff on the G earlier models. I found my '04 G too much so, and replaced with Hotchkis.

IMHO - don't go there at all - they're so close you'll just get the religious fanatics claiming the (G/Z) is instant sex and much closer to God...drive the cars, pick what u like...as for price, compare apples to apples and you'll find that so-called $6000 difference is BS.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Yeah, it kills me when someone says the G is so much heavier than the Z. Even the heaviest G is only 400 lbs heavier than the lightest Z. But hey, facts don't really carry much weight with many people.

I'll take my G any day of the week against most of these folk that say the Z is so much better.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
SteveZ

make no mistake, the g35 is no skyline gt-r. in america, the Z has been around for a lot longer than the G. don't give me that "alias" or "derivative" stuff either. "oh it was named that in japan-so therefore i can just use it in America and think it was actually a skyline." the g has NO resemblance to past skylines. the Z has combined style cues from all of the past Z's. u guys just want to add skyline on your car to make it look faster. fact of the matter is, the fairladyz was never sold here in the US, neither was the skyline. the "Z" name by itself has heritage...much more than the "G", if the G even has any. therefore i will never consider a G a TRUE skyline.

but that aside, both are great cars. you cant go wrong with either.
Unless you care a real lot about names Let's see - V35 and V33 both sold in Japan today, G35 Coupe and Z both sold here - who cares?

Neither one of these cars is close mechanically or in any way to the Skyline R32 or newer, or any of the Z's that preceded them. Whatever a "real Z" is, the current one has about as much in common to the original 240/260 Z line as the V35 does to an R32 Skyline. I don't think that's a bad thing, considering what you get for your $$$.

You should enroll in Consumer Focus Study groups with this name obsession thing

Seriously, I agree- you really can't go wrong with either one. I put 12k on my Z, loved it, have 33k on my G, love it too.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
AUS10TAT10US

again, true skyline has to be JDM. is yours JDM? i doubt it.

no offense to africans or black people, but just cause you're black doesn't mean you're from a tribe. hahaha

Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
tomiegunzz

The G is a skyline. Its a V35 skyline. Its not a gtr skyline. Two different models of cars. I dont understand why people cry when people put skyline badges on. Its a V35 Skyline. Not like they are badging it a GTR. The GTR is a differnt design.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
AUS10TAT10US

ok then how about this, let's line up my "Z" v.s. your "skyline". i guarantee u it's no skyline
Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
SteveZ

again, true skyline has to be JDM. is yours JDM? i doubt it.

Umm, no, it's not JDM. The steering wheel is on the left. How 'bout yours? Actually other than that small detail theV35 is very close JDM to USDM. As is a Z33 to a V35...
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V36/0611/index.html
Like it or not - you're in the same tribe, dude!

Go read the lineage and figure out how much either FM platform car has in common with "Skyline" or older Z's, compared to one another...or how much older "Skylines" have in common with an R32. Apples and Mangos...actually much of the Prince corp influence went into the Skylines, the first Z was more of a clean sheet design.
http://history.jbskyline.net/

Check out the 1967 1/2 "Fairlady 2000" on my site - one very cool car in its day and now, but it has no relation to a 240Z - none.
http://homepage.mac.com/stracy01/Auto/PhotoAlbum68.html

By the way, I believe they are simply calling it the "Nissan GT-R". Not a "Fairlady" or a "Z" or a "Skyline"...bummer, one or the other could point to it's big brother (even though much of the early proto track GT-R work was done with a V-35 chassis)
http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

Maybe I can get a "Skyline" badge so my new GT-R isn't a bastard child like my V35?

LOL, people in Japan get "Infiniti" and "G35" badges for their V35 Skylines!

They are all NISSANs, get over it!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
down_shift

AUS seems to be confused..

I hope you knew that the traditional Skyline was a luxury vehicle. Later down the road.. Nissan developed the GTR which turned the model into a "sports" cars.

The Z was bred as a econo roadster by Datsun.

What I was trying to point out from you previous was that you were misinformed posting that the Z is older than the G.

The G IS a Skyline. It is people like AUS that have the misconception that a Skyline is a GTR. That is like saying every Integra is a Type R LOL
Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
down_shift

true skyline has to be JDM.

I don't call your Z a fairlady do I? lol...
Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
down_shift

ok then how about this, let's line up my "Z" v.s. your "skyline". i guarantee u it's no skyline

My Turbo G will own you everyday of the week lofl
Old 01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
down_shift

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Unless you care a real lot about names Let's see - V35 and V33 both sold in Japan today, G35 Coupe and Z both sold here - who cares?

Neither one of these cars is close mechanically or in any way to the Skyline R32 or newer, or any of the Z's that preceded them. Whatever a "real Z" is, the current one has about as much in common to the original 240/260 Z line as the V35 does to an R32 Skyline. I don't think that's a bad thing, considering what you get for your $$$.

You should enroll in Consumer Focus Study groups with this name obsession thing

Seriously, I agree- you really can't go wrong with either one. I put 12k on my Z, loved it, have 33k on my G, love it too.

+1.. I guess AUS can't tell the difference between his Type R's and Rice Cars woot.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
down_shift

This thread can go on forever since everything subject to the owner.

Except when you start quoting false statements!

Quick Reply: What advantages does the G have over the Z?