Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

What advantages does the G have over the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 PM
AUS10TAT10US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Is America, Not Japan! The Z In America Has More Tradition And History Than A G. End Of Story. The G In America Is Totally Different From The Skyline In Japan.

Ask A Real Enthusiast What A Z Is. Automatically Knows It's Nissan.
Ask What A G Is And They Might Stutter And Not Know, They Might Say It's A Nissan, Or They Might Say The Car That's Like The Z?

If Im Such A Badge *****, Then Why Do You Guys Bother Putting "skyline" On Your Cars? If That Makes You Feel Better Or Faster To Have That Emblem! Hahaha

Regardless, When The Gt-r Comes Out We Will All Get Owned.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Yeah, it kills me when someone says the G is so much heavier than the Z. Even the heaviest G is only 400 lbs heavier than the lightest Z. But hey, facts don't really carry much weight with many people.

I'll take my G any day of the week against most of these folk that say the Z is so much better.
No doubt, a real accomplishment to add the rear seat, and at least in 2004 they used a steel driveshaft vs. carbon, add all the sound-proofing and gadgets, 8 inches of CAR and it's still right there in the weight.

Anyone who has really spent time behind the wheel of both cars would not peg the G as "heavy". Realistically they are BOTH heavy cars compared to 1990's Silvias, etc. but in today's world, they are not heavy - look at an M5, 4000 LBS, and Audi RS4, also 4000 lbs. The both need 420-500 hp to get their carcass up and going (to some impressive speeds, no doubt). Even a late model B15 is nearly 2800-2900 lbs. Sports cars, coupes, and sedans are just heavier than 10 years ago for the most part - but have better stock power NA and better engine management to compensate, and are a hell of a lot safer place to be in an accident.

Power to weight is still very competitive for today's market for either car. And you get some fantastic chassis stiffness for that FM "sled" - they both drive very solid, the body is stout.

HP ratings on the 2004-2006 like any car are suspect; my G dyno'd out slightly higher (~5 hp) than my stock 2003 Z on baseline dyno pulls under nearly exact same conditions and on the exact same dyno - every motor is a little different.

Numbers are just numbers - drive it.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by AUS10TAT10US
This Is America, Not Japan! The Z In America Has More Tradition And History Than A G. End Of Story. The G In America Is Totally Different From The Skyline In Japan.

Ask What A G Is And They Might Stutter And Not Know, They Might Say It's A Nissan, Or They Might Say The Car That's Like The Z?

If Im Such A Badge *****, Then Why Do You Guys Bother Putting "skyline" On Your Cars? If That Makes You Feel Better Or Faster To Have That Emblem! Hahaha

Because the badge taunts RICE drivers who really care about this sh*t (and so it seems, some Z owners,too...Hahaha).

IF and when the GT-R comes out for under 40 large, then it will "own" us all - until then, it makes about much sense to say that as a comparison to a Z06 or a 911 Turbo - no kidding, if you spend 2-3X the money, wow, you can get a faster car! NO sh*t!

You are SO misinformed if you really think a V35 here is any different than a V35 in Japan. Yeah, TOTALLY different car, dude:
http://homepage.mac.com/stracy01/G35...toAlbum39.html
Those pics are straight off Nissan's site in 2004 - the Skyline part.

Even the new "Skyline" Sedan is identical to the VQHR-powered G35 Sedan here (except that Left-Right thing). About the only real difference is you can spec out the same NISMO parts on their web site...don't you read Japanese?

Same engine, no AWD in the Coupe, etc - you are seriously confused if you think there is some still some new JDM Magic Skyline - go back and watch the F&F series and work on your 10-second car.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:43 PM
down_shift

lol Steve!!

AUS clearly has no clue wtf he's talking bout lol..

He lives in AMERICA and drives a JAPANESE car =/
He should be driving a Domestic if he really cared about tradition and heritage in America lol
Attempted to post false statements and got noobed.

The GTR will be a nice car. But for that money.. it will only be eye candy for us poor people =(

Last edited by down_shift; 01-24-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
AUS10TAT10US

sorry to break all your hearts guys but im asian.

i just wanted to spark the thread back up and start some controversy, and it looks like it worked. i knew id get flamed talkin all this talk in the G part of the forum. if a G guy started talkin all this talk in the Z part of the forum, i would be flaming him too. but, i always like to see G and Z comparisons even though they are essentially the same car.

all i know is, these two cars are arguably the sexiest cars on the road today except exotics. obviously, each car has its pros and cons. but it is natural to compare these cars bc it is like the same car but not. nevertheless, i cannot wait to see the gt-r on the streets. they will be rare and a head-turner for sure.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 AM
j-velocity

I don't see how the G35Cpe so much different than the V35 Skyline other than it's badged as Infiniti and the steering wheel is on the other side.
May be that's because I don't know my car good enough... Can you name any more differences between the G35Cpe and Skyline V35Cpe since it seems like u know the G35 and Skyline V35 so much???

A lot of 350Z people are putting Fairlady Z on their USDM 350Z too...

Last edited by j-velocity; 01-25-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

The V35 and G35 are the same exact car. Here is what I don't understand though, why Nissan wants to start selling G35's as Infiniti's in Japan.....WTF?!?!?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
The V35 and G35 are the same exact car. Here is what I don't understand though, why Nissan wants to start selling G35's as Infiniti's in Japan.....WTF?!?!?

Probably trying to increase the Branding image of "Infinity"
Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM
mindless_zombie

You guys forgot one thing. The G comes before the Z in the alphabet.

So yea...anyways...asking a question like what advatanges the G has over Z is kinda pointless. Everyone will offer various opinions. You would really have to drive both for yourself and figure out which one you like. I mean you can take into consideration peoples' opinions and all but it all boils down to what you like.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by SargentZ
Probably trying to increase the Branding image of "Infinity"
If Infiniti is Infinity...

Then Nissan is Nyssan

Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed for some interestng reading.

but here's my opinion:
I had the money to buy a G and a Z (not both). I could afford my payments easily on either of them but I bought a Z because I liked it more (subjectively). Maybe because of the way it looked or because of the 'cool' gauges on the center dash. I'm not sure but I had a closer affinity for the Z then I did the G35.

In either case, I know people are gonna say you're just jealous or you couldnt afford it, whatever, but my friend bought an 06 G and I still dont regret my purchase on the Z. Im happy with it and I will admit his G is pretty sexy too. I'm also willing to bet, my friend thinks G's are better than Z's, why else would he have bought it, but it was his choice and opinoin that swayed him to buy a G. However, Z owners will claim the Z is better because it is their opinion that the Z was better, and G owners will claim the G is better because is is their opinion that the G was better. People who owned both and side one way are like that because they've experienced both and it is their OPINION that one is better than the other.

Why argue over this debate?

It's like a thread "Supercharger vs turbo - which is better".
Old 01-25-2007, 02:18 PM
SteveZ

sorry to break all your hearts guys but im asian.

i just wanted to spark the thread back up and start some controversy, and it looks like it worked. i knew id get flamed talkin all this talk in the G part of the forum. if a G guy started talkin all this talk in the Z part of the forum, i would be flaming him too. but, i always like to see G and Z comparisons even though they are essentially the same car...
What if you're both? Get flamed in 2 places?

I've looked long and hard at the differences because I always am wondering if the car drives in a certain way because something was changed, etc. Depending on the year model, there are very, very few differences that matter. I mentioned spring rate in the rear before, that isn't the same now, and supposedly the shock has "different" valving for different rebound damping characteristics...again, bogus statement in the same model year for a Z to G 6MT Coupe comparo.

No carbon drive shaft. Same gear and final drive ratios. Same redline, same engine cutoff (VQ35DE here, not HR). Slightly more restrictive intake tube on the G Coupe stock, but also a real CAI which pulls outside air from the center of the hood all the way to the main intake. Better than my 2003 Z's setup.

Better tires - Michie PS/2's stock on mine vs. the RE-040 "wear me out in 10k or less please" tires. 2003-2005, better stock rim excepting the Track. I noticed the Z adopted the seat belt design from the G, no more slapping seat belts unless clipped in with the Z. G seat more supportive but has annoying right side switches. Hey, and you don't have to move the passenger seat to open the "glovebox" (although in a smooth move you lose half to the Nav DVD unit in the G). Fold down the back seat, you have pass-through to the trunk and it folds flat - more usable room than in my Z's hatch with -2 of the 2+2. Driver's seat low in the car, ground clearance also very similar, but G seat bottom is a few inches higher off the pavement - you notice that right away coming from the Z. The window line isn't quite as high. You can actually easily see out the back through more than a slit like the Z has.

Both cars, stock clutch too weak, and engages higher than I like. High engagement leads to more slippage and smoked clutch. Z has better instrumentation and center tach, but at least the G guages move with the column and the tach is still very readable. You lose having a real oil pressure guage and one or two others in the G.

Sounds like all pretty much minor differences, but when you put enough seat time in both that's how close they really are - you notice the useable things and smaller details; if I could cherry pick the best features from both cars, I'd likely still stay with the G-Coupe, unless I wanted to build it into more of a track car and less of a DD...then I'd buy the bottom line Z with no features and no VDC. In 2003 you could actually get a Z for $26.5k list price new, with an open diff and no TCS, I understand they all get TCS now and VDC is an option depending on the model. All 6MT G Coupes get both and an LSD.

Really looking forward to seeing the new Coupe later this year - but concerned they will tart it up with even more crap you don't need whether you like it or not.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Skrilla

no offense to africans or black people, but just cause you're black doesn't mean you're from a tribe. hahaha

Name:  2928511127.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  4.4 KB
When the f*ck in this entire post did a black person say they were from a tribe??
Create an analogy that makes some sense, pertinent to the topic at hand.

BTW...um I like the Z better
Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Skrilla

an intelligent argument steveZ with all sincerety (sp?)thank you

Originally Posted by SteveZ
Slightly more restrictive intake tube on the G Coupe stock, but also a real CAI which pulls outside air from the center of the hood all the way to the main intake. Better than my 2003 Z's setup.
I know you were talking about the new G(which is out) in a previous conversation but that has been remedied in the '07 Z.

Better tires - Michie PS/2's stock on mine vs. the RE-040 "wear me out in 10k or less please" tires. 2003-2005, better stock rim excepting the Track.
LOL...True, probably the reason I upgraded my tire/rim and what not the 1st weekend I had my car

I noticed the Z adopted the seat belt design from the G, no more slapping seat belts unless clipped in with the Z. G seat more supportive but has annoying right side switches
fixed in the '04 Z...the seat belt is suspended...I like it

Both cars, stock clutch too weak, and engages higher than I like. High engagement leads to more slippage and smoked clutch. Z has better instrumentation and center tach, but at least the G guages move with the column and the tach is still very readable.
my '04 Z instrument cluster moves with the column as well

I'd buy the bottom line Z with no features and no VDC. In 2003 you could actually get a Z for $26.5k list price new, with an open diff and no TCS, I understand they all get TCS now and VDC is an option depending on the model. All 6MT G Coupes get both and an LSD.
I would get the very next step up from the base then...the perfofmance trim

Actually the very reason I got the Z over the G is because of the absence of the backseats...all the other sporty nit picks are just perks such as the slightly (zipping nomex) lower weight, stiffer chassis(again partially due to less weight-intergrated strutbar) shorter wheelbase for twisties and wrap around console
Old 01-27-2007, 02:23 PM
iceagetlc

I have a Z, my friend has a G. He parked over at my house for the first time, and after he left, my family asked why he got a family car. I know I'm not the only one that thinks that when I see them.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
infamous350

lol jealous of a g35 hahhah. Thats why every g35 guy i talk to when i take them for a ride in the z they wish they bought a z instead. You guys are nutz if you think the g35 looks better then a z. The z looks like something special the g35 does not and you see tons of 40year old moms driving them. Im not hating on it there pretty much the same but to me the z looks so much better i could have afforded either one easily. Not a har decision to me one test drive the z feels like it handles twice as good to me.

G35= really sporty car
350z= Sports car the real deal
Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by infamous350
lol jealous of a g35 hahhah. Thats why every g35 guy i talk to when i take them for a ride in the z they wish they bought a z instead. You guys are nutz if you think the g35 looks better then a z. The z looks like something special the g35 does not and you see tons of 40year old moms driving them. Im not hating on it there pretty much the same but to me the z looks so much better i could have afforded either one easily. Not a har decision to me one test drive the z feels like it handles twice as good to me.

G35= really sporty car
350z= Sports car the real deal
^^^^^^^^

Well, you've stated your qualifications very well. Having personally driven a Z for 14 months, including track time, also a G35 Coupe '04 for 36k miles, IMHO you are obviously a clueless moron when it comes to assessment of a car's capabilities.

While "looks' are subjective, performance is not. "Twice as good?" WTF is that? A 350Z does 0-60 in 3 seconds? Goes 300 mph? Pulls >1.5 g on a skidpad? (which btw the G outperformed the 350Z in lateral traction in skid pad testing) Runs a slalom at 130 mph instead of 65?

What a noob, thanks for sharing your valuable input...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the car that makes you happy.
I could have afforded either car, test drove both. and i have friends with both.

I chose the Z because it made me happy the most. I still don't regret my decision but i still think the g is a great car.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

^^^^^^^^

Well, you've stated your qualifications very well. Having personally driven a Z for 14 months, including track time, also a G35 Coupe '04 for 36k miles, IMHO you are obviously a clueless moron when it comes to assessment of a car's capabilities.

While "looks' are subjective, performance is not. "Twice as good?" WTF is that? A 350Z does 0-60 in 3 seconds? Goes 300 mph? Pulls >1.5 g on a skidpad? (which btw the G outperformed the 350Z in lateral traction in skid pad testing) Runs a slalom at 130 mph instead of 65?

What a noob, thanks for sharing your valuable input...
But the G is not a sports car!!!!!! Don't you know anything, noob!!!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
crskillz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, I must admit, this thread is entertaining...a lot of people have posted some very interesting information....now for my .02 cents!

From the start I liked the Z, but when I found out it didn't have a back seat, I decided to look at the G. I admired the G for about 2 years, until I finally had the $ to get one...I went to the dealership and sat in one and immediately felt claustraphobic....I'm 6'-1" and couldn't fit in the car (the door arm rest would slam into my broad shoulders/side of my arm)...I also climbed into the back seat and was stuck...the saleman had to help me out...in addition, my head would hit the back window while sitting in the back seat...
I was so disappointed that the next day I went back to try again...I was trying to convince myself it wasn't so, and to no avail the same feeling of being closed in came to mind...you couldn't pay me to ride in the back seat of a G coupe...it's too small for adults in the 6' category...probably great for kids...The driver's seat is low and I just couldn't see myself buying that car....For my height, I would have to have the seat all the way back which means the people in the back seat get their feet crushed!!!! However, the interior finishes are very nicely crafted and are beautiful...My next trip was to Nissan...

When I sat in the Z I was sold! To my surprise I fit comfortably.. the cabin seemed wider and more open....So my determining factor to purchasing the Z was why would I pay extra money for a back seat that doesn't fully function for adults? Now the Z may not have the plush interior of the G but it's still decent...after all it depends what's important to you...I could easily customize the interior if I choose...but that wasn't important...

Now on the flip side, since owning the Z, I've been stopped on a regualr basis by people from all walks of life that comment on the car...ranging from women, children, men, older Z enthusiast...my boss even said he used to have an older Z and wanted to drive my car (until he found out it was a 5AT LOL!) Then he pwned me!

In the end, the choice is yours....for me, I also have a sedan and I hardly ever use the back seats..
Test drive both and see how important these contrasting issues are to you:
-($6K) price difference, the back seat issue as well as the loaner car issue (give me a break- !), the higher service prices, etc..

Quick Reply: What advantages does the G have over the Z?