Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

My new works :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
chromesilver6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who care what the f.cuk the "right" offset is. That s.hit is boring. To may people are worried about everybody else on this forum. The OP's car looks hot.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:15 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow talking like a true ricer! ^^^^
Old 04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no "right" offset.....offset is a relative thing, dependant on the goals the person buying them wants to achieve
Old 04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there is no "right" offset.....offset is a relative thing, dependant on the goals the person buying them wants to achieve
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM
blasian

+1
Old 04-05-2008, 05:07 PM
XKR

Well I guess his goal is to introduce his rims to his fenders.... in that case I hope he achieves what he is looking for.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Technically true but misleading to the uninitiated who can infer that they cannot possibly go wrong specifying an offset when ordering wheels. Looks aside, the fact is that optimal wheel fitment includes a specification for wheel offset (with "optimal" defined as the least chance for damage to the rims or to car and maximally enhancing suspension and traction). That definition leaves a LOT of room to specify what would be considered an optimal offset. However, most would agree that what was chosen by the OP doesn't quite cut it.

If looks are the only consideration, then no one can really argue as it is 100% subjective - and I think most agree, the wheels themselves are hot!

Much of the above commentary by experienced individuals is not criticism - merely recommendations and cautions for those who would consider something similar.

Here is a quote from a nice, short article from a site on 4x4s explaining the importance of considering offset (other than just for looks):
From the factory, your rig was fitted with wheels carefully designed by engineers to allow for adequate clearance between the wheel and tire and items like tie-rod ends, brake calipers, fenderwells, the frame, and other exposed components. If you try to fit a different wheel-and-tire combination, you may find that contact may occur between these items and the wheel and/or tire during standard steering maneuvers or suspension articulation. The way to avoid this is to make sure you have wheels with the proper offset and backspacing for the tire you'd like to run...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-05-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM
civic4982

those wheels look sharp.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Technically true but misleading to the uninitiated who can infer that they cannot possibly go wrong specifying an offset when ordering wheels. Looks aside, the fact is that optimal wheel fitment includes a specification for wheel offset (with "optimal" defined as the least chance for damage to the rims or to car and maximally enhancing suspension and traction). That definition leaves a LOT of room to specify what would be considered an optimal offset. However, most would agree that what was chosen by the OP doesn't quite cut it.

If looks are the only consideration, then no one can really argue as it is 100% subjective - and I think most agree, the wheels themselves are hot!

Much of the above commentary by experienced individuals is not criticism - merely recommendations and cautions for those who would consider something similar.

Here is a quote from a nice, short article from a site on 4x4s explaining the importance of considering offset (other than just for looks):
+1 Well said. function > form

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-05-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by rcdash

Raj.......Leave the medical field at once and proceed to Law School.....

Well said my friend well said.

BTW: What's the minimum IQ level you would need to comprehend your above statement? I think you set bar too high....but we will see.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

While I understand what everyone is saying, I feel its criticizing for criticism sake. It's not like the OP came on and said "here is my G35 that I am building for time attack and here are my wheels". The person even went so far as to say he is doing an airbag suspension...clearly his goals and the goals of others are different, and as such, so will his choice of wheel width/offset/tire. If you wanted to get technical, then the wheel sizes 99% of us "like" (for example, the typical Volk 9.5/10.5 +22) are FAR afoot from what Nissan would consider ideal as well based on suspension geometry. So again, I stand 100% by my statement - the ideal, is a completely relative thing, as the goals of the user are also relative. So while it might not be a setup I would do to my car, and not a setup you might do to yours, does not inherently make it wrong. If he wanted a stretched look, with max lip, and a setup that pushes the aggressiveness envelope, then that's exactly what he got. If on the other hand, he wanted max tire, without rolling, then that would be another setup entirely. But clearly, that's not what the OP wanted. Not everyone is function over form - some people are 180 opposite in fact.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-06-2008 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM
XKR

While I understand what everyone is saying, I feel its criticizing for criticism sake. It's not like the OP came on and said "here is my G35 that I am building for time attack and here are my wheels". The person even went so far as to say he is doing an airbag suspension...clearly his goals and the goals of others are different, and as such, so will his choice of wheel width/offset/tire. If you wanted to get technical, then the wheel sizes 99% of us "like" (for example, the typical Volk 9.5/10.5 +22) are FAR afoot from what Nissan would consider ideal as well based on suspension geometry. So again, I stand 100% by my statement - the ideal, is a completely relative thing, as the goals of the user are also relative. So while it might not be a setup I would do to my car, and not a setup you might do to yours, does not inherently make it wrong. If he wanted a stretched look, with max lip, and a setup that pushes the aggressiveness envelope, then that's exactly what he got. If on the other hand, he wanted max tire, without rolling, then that would be another setup entirely. But clearly, that's not what the OP wanted. Not everyone is function over form - some people are 180 opposite in fact.
I am afraid that you also do not get the point of when this thread went down hill. So let me help you....

The OP stated that with his setup....the rear rims will NOT hit the fenders....which is misleading to others that may not know better.

Even a brain dead blind person could see that it would hit. For the 19th time...it has nothing to do with looks ...WE ALL SAID THAT WE LIKE THE RIMS.

Not everyone is function over form - some people are 180 opposite in fact.
The OP also stated that he is also going FI ...hmmmm kind of throws a wrench into this equation.

If you wanted to get technical, then the wheel sizes 99% of us "like" (for example, the typical Volk 9.5/10.5 +22) are FAR afoot from what Nissan would consider ideal as well based on suspension geometry.
Lets get technical....when the Nissan Factory cars are running in a race....do they use the stock set up:confused As we have named the harm the OP setup would cause...please name the harm that the Volks set would cause. And btw....most of the FI with Volks have aftermarket suspension work done to counter the change.

Last edited by XKR; 04-06-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no I read exactly what is written - he has completely shaved fenders, a pretty fair amount of camber, and a very stretched tire. If he says it doesn't rub, then who am I to argue with him? In the end, I could care less if it rubs or not, it's not my car, and he didn't ask for my advice. No one is posteuring this thread as a "guide of what to do" - the OP got wheels, he posted pics, nothing more, nothing less. Believe me, I've read the entire thread, and I agree that this in no way represents a proper fitment in my book...but neither does any low offset, stretched tire look...it's just not my thing (I think it looks horrible no matter what the car) and I'd prefer not having my car tramline all over the place when I drive it.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 04-06-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM
XKR

no I read exactly what is written - he has completely shaved fenders, a pretty fair amount of camber, and a very stretched tire. If he says it doesn't rub, then who am I to argue with him? In the end, I could care less if it rubs or not, it's not my car, and he didn't ask for my advice. No one is posteuring this thread as a "guide of what to do" - the OP got wheels, he posted pics, nothing more, nothing less.
I did not say RUB....i said the the rim would HIT the fender. Rubbing allows you to use touchup paint ..hit does not

So Rome or one of the other Mods need to come on here and change the rules and have them say that...." when someone starts a thread...and if someone did not ask for advise...and even if we see something wrong...we are not allowed to make a comment"

Last edited by XKR; 04-06-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

no I read exactly what is written - he has completely shaved fenders, a pretty fair amount of camber, and a very stretched tire. If he says it doesn't rub, then who am I to argue with him? In the end, I could care less if it rubs or not, it's not my car, and he didn't ask for my advice. No one is posteuring this thread as a "guide of what to do" - the OP got wheels, he posted pics, nothing more, nothing less. Believe me, I've read the entire thread, and I agree that this in no way represents a proper fitment in my book...but neither does any low offset, stretched tire look...it's just not my thing (I think it looks horrible no matter what the car) and I'd prefer not having my car tramline all over the place when I drive it.
Z1, his fenders shaved will not resolve the problem. His wheels will hit the outside of his wheel well and he doesn't have close to the the amount of camber to clear it. It is obvious by the picture. It is pretty obvious you didn't read the discussion. He said it would not hit BECAUSE he said he would never compress the suspension that far. Hint, it will hit if he ever does compress the suspension that far but we all know it will happen.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Z1, his fenders shaved will not resolve the problem. His wheels will hit the outside of his wheel well and he doesn't have close to the the amount of camber to clear it. It is obvious by the picture. It is pretty obvious you didn't read the discussion. He said it would not hit BECAUSE he said he would never compress the suspension that far. Hint, it will hit if he ever does compress the suspension that far but we all know it will happen.
+10000

D@mn you make it seem easy ..
Old 04-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I read every single word that was posted - the real question is, why do you all care so much? Who gives a ****? It's his car, not yours. If it's what he wants, then so be it. If it's not a setup you would choose, then don't choose it. It's not a setup I would choose either. Let's not start singling out this thread as a what not to do....we mind as well trash 95% of the posts on the site then if that's the case. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I read every single word that was posted - the real question is, why do you all care so much? Who gives a ****? It's his car, not yours. If it's what he wants, then so be it. If it's not a setup you would choose, then don't choose it. It's not a setup I would choose either. Let's not start singling out this thread as a what not to do....we mind as well trash 95% of the posts on the site then if that's the case. Different strokes for different folks.
The problem is we don't want people to think they can get away with this. When I researched wheels, I wanted to get the biggest wheel and tire combo on my G35. I did, but I also had rubbing issues. The guy said I wouldn't. I don't want someone else to make a mistake like this person did. So we are trying to correct that.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

You're preaching to the choir And no one knows this better than I do! But in the end, as was said early on in the thread, you can only lead the horse to water. If the setup suits him, whether claimed, or actuality, then so be it.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 AM
XKR

We really don't care if he droves around on one wheel...but if he came on here and make a statement that 1 works better than 4 ..we feel obligated to correct him.

Same goes for you and your shop...you make a claim that we feel is not valid....we will correct you also. We do not discriminate.

The point is these threads are here for open discussion.

Last edited by XKR; 04-06-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: My new works :)