Notices
G35/G37 General discussion and news for Infiniti's G or for full Forums check out MyG37.com or G35Driver.com

how good are fiberglass body kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:18 PM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how good are fiberglass body kits?

How are they compared to urathane body kits? What are the pros and cons between the two. thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php

Results of SEARCHING for "urethane" and "fiberglass"

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=41502

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=52137
Old 01-25-2004, 02:05 PM
o snap its eric

Oh crap, i never knew there is so much into body kits. I may have to rethink about getting that Nismo front replica. Perhaps i should just go with a real Nismo. Does anyone know if the real Nismo front is good quilty like out OEM bumper?
Old 01-25-2004, 02:46 PM
joenismo

Originally posted by o snap its eric
Oh crap, i never knew there is so much into body kits. I may have to rethink about getting that Nismo front replica. Perhaps i should just go with a real Nismo. Does anyone know if the real Nismo front is good quilty like out OEM bumper?

The real nismo bumper is fiberglass just like the replica. The only urethane kit is the impul.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:53 PM
o snap its eric

Is the replica hand laid or cropped? I dont know much about body kits. I just like the Nismo but i also wants some reliablity like my OEM bumper.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:50 PM
themyst

fiberglass can be reliable if you spend the extra money getting the front bumper clearbra'd. then as long as you don't hit anything hard it will be fine.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were tired of the bad quality of the fiberglass products we were installing for our customers, so our race car fabrication shop decided to build our own making the molds from the JDM Nismo kit on our race car. The result is the kit on my car..... but even that with all the work we went through to make it perfect.... it wasn't perfect. I feel it was one of the best on the market, but since even we couldn't get them 100%, we discontinued production until the factory Nismo comes through the pipeline. I have a whole new respect for these companies making this stuff!!! Just be sure and get ALOT of feedback from others before you buy a kit!! And YES, get a clear bra put on it.

Last edited by Jeff@Performance; 01-25-2004 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
o snap its eric

How is the Nismo compared to the replicas? Are they made with the same material as out OEM bumpers?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
joenismo

Originally posted by o snap its eric
How is the Nismo compared to the replicas? Are they made with the same material as out OEM bumpers?

I just stated the Nismo bumper is fiberglass, the replica nismo bumper is fiberglass, your oem bumper is urethane.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:52 AM
BobbyBoy

Pretty much every kit from Japan is fiberglass, except for a few that are carbon fiber, and even fewer that are urethane. As far as fiberglass goes, it is not as flexible as urethane, but depnding on the type of fiberglass used by the manufacturer, it could have a good degree of flex to it. If damaged fiberglass is the easiest and cheapest to repair. Most fiberglass kits are lighter than urethane, but urethane is more durable and can bend pretty much in half. Don't let that sell you completely however because urethane can crack as well depending on temperature and speed of impact. If you hit something and it doesnt crack, but just deforms, you may still have paint damage and the bumper will not completely return to its original shape after deforming, for example creases or spidering of the paint. It is slightly more difficult to have paint bond and match to urethane kits also.

As far as replicas go, the inconsitencie arise in the surface quality of the kit. The materials may be the same, but the gel coating is more of a budget job than the genuine kits. Also during overseas shipping of these replica kits, they are jam packed in large containers, so they may warp or distort in shap causing slight fitment issues. With genuine kits, they are usually boxed individually before shipping to prevent that. For the most case however, the newest replicas coming out are of almost the same quality as the originals.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
supsup

so where is the cheapest place to get the
nismo kit for g35
in fliberglass or jdm ...!
Old 02-04-2004, 08:09 AM
havabooz

jdm means japanese domestic market..or in other words its the authentic one

like people said most real kits, as well as replicas, are made using fiberglass or FRP which is a fiberglass plastic hybrid

the same way authentic kits can be crap (bad fitment or bad quality) the same goes for replicas

either one could be good or bad

expect to spend a little more money on prepping and painting a replica part because they usually require more work but they also are cheaper and more readily available

the best place to buy the replica nismo kit for the g35 is from dave stoner at 350zforums.org