Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Got some Crawford cats!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some Crawford cats!

Drove over to Dougs shop today and had them install a set of Crawford HF cats. Doug was really accomodating. He took me around the workshop and showed me the new plenum that they are releasing soon. Looks sweet! Really good guy. As far as the cats go, there is a noticable sharpness in the throttle response now. Seems torquier. My Borla exhaust has a little bit more volume now and is mabye just a tad deeper. It's not as drastic as I had hoped it would be but maybe it will "settle in" and the tone will change more as they get some miles on them. But, there is no denying that there is a performance improvement. Power seems to be easier to deliver and there is a stronger pull at hwy speeds compared to stock. 50mph to 80mph comes with a little less effort and is accompanied by a more authorative growl. So....so far, very good! Maybe the new plenum will find its way under the hood soon to compliment the breathing. Verdict: Crawford is great(hardly news).
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Got some Crawford cats!

Originally posted by BENJ-AMG
Drove over to Dougs shop today and had them install a set of Crawford HF cats. Doug was really accomodating. He took me around the workshop and showed me the new plenum that they are releasing soon. Looks sweet! Really good guy. As far as the cats go, there is a noticable sharpness in the throttle response now. Seems torquier. My Borla exhaust has a little bit more volume now and is mabye just a tad deeper. It's not as drastic as I had hoped it would be but maybe it will "settle in" and the tone will change more as they get some miles on them. But, there is no denying that there is a performance improvement. Power seems to be easier to deliver and there is a stronger pull at hwy speeds compared to stock. 50mph to 80mph comes with a little less effort and is accompanied by a more authorative growl. So....so far, very good! Maybe the new plenum will find its way under the hood soon to compliment the breathing. Verdict: Crawford is great(hardly news).
I've had my Crawford cats for about a year now and couldn't be happier with them. I got mine after my Borla exhaust and Injen intake, but before my plenum and headers. Wait til you get the entire Crawford setup and the Technosquare reflash, then you will notice a huge difference. The headers were my most recent addition and what a difference they make with Doug's other goodies. Can't wait for some cams now! After all Doug believes that 300 rwhp is possible naturally aspirated and I for one don't doubt that he can do it.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I bet. If I found $2k in an evelope labeled "Mod Fund" behind the dresser then I would be down at Crawford setting up the install appointment.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on how much HP the new plenum produces?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
ZPirate

Originally posted by Diesel350
Any word on how much HP the new plenum produces?
According to Doug it should be no different than the version 5 in terms of performance. The new cast version is based on the version 5 plenum design. The major difference is that you do not have to send him your core in order for him to keep making new ones since the new version is cast out of the mold they have created. Less hassle for everyone.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
thawk408

Do you think you are running lean at all with plenum, intake, exhaust, and cats???
Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

How could you not run lean? The fuel delivery with these cars is just a joke. Introduce more air=lean.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
1nate7

Default Re: Got some Crawford cats!

After your "Borla for Injen" thread I was hoping you would think the Crawford cats/Borla would be perfect. If you are still after more "roar", a cheap way would be to try an intake like the JWT popcharger. My Stillen intake would drown out the Borla above 3k rpms before I added test pipes.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I have put several miles on them since I started this thread.(Had to put em through the paces) They have become more pronounced after a good half hour of gunning it around town. I'd have to say it's a solid improvement. The car sounds ballsier without question. Runs stronger, but not by a huge amount. Just a little snappier. Suits me fine. For now
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 AM
ZPirate

Originally posted by thawk408
Do you think you are running lean at all with plenum, intake, exhaust, and cats???
If you are asking me that question, I don't think so since I have the Technosquare ECU reflash. My reflash is the Crawford reflash for Crawford's cats, headers and plenum plus my exhaust and intake. Among other things the reflash changes the stock fuel maps. One of the reflash's purposes is to fix that issue. Go to Technosquare's website for more info on what the reflash does.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ZPirate
According to Doug it should be no different than the version 5 in terms of performance. The new cast version is based on the version 5 plenum design. The major difference is that you do not have to send him your core in order for him to keep making new ones since the new version is cast out of the mold they have created. Less hassle for everyone.
I wonder if it is going to be as noisy? What were the V5's dynoing at? 5Hp?

Also I see you've done all of Crawfords mods, Have you dynoed your car recently?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 AM
ZPirate

Originally posted by Diesel350
I wonder if it is going to be as noisy? What were the V5's dynoing at? 5Hp?

Also I see you've done all of Crawfords mods, Have you dynoed your car recently?
Diesel350,

I talked to Doug about the new plenum earlier this week. He told me that the performance of the new plenum should be dead on with the V5 plenum, but that the cast plenum should be quieter since it is thicker on top. He said it should also be a little stronger for those people going the forced induction route. Not that the V5 isn't strong and cable of handling FI, but the cast plenum would be stronger still. Personally, I don't think my plenum is that loud. My exhaust is louder.

I haven't had my car dynoed although I am considering it. All I can say is that my car is now much more powerful than stock and the headers, which were my last addtion make a huge difference. The beauty of the Crawford goodies is how they work in conjunction with each other. The ECU reflash is huge too.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:46 AM
thawk408

Originally posted by ZPirate
If you are asking me that question, I don't think so since I have the Technosquare ECU reflash. My reflash is the Crawford reflash for Crawford's cats, headers and plenum plus my exhaust and intake. Among other things the reflash changes the stock fuel maps. One of the reflash's purposes is to fix that issue. Go to Technosquare's website for more info on what the reflash does.
I doubt they will come out with a flash for an 05 track.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Sure they will. In 2011
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 AM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

Sure they will. In 2011
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 AM
thawk408

Sure they will. In 2011
Yeah I cant wait!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:18 PM
ZPirate

I suspect that they will. It make take Technosquare a while to do it, but I bet they do.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM
BENJ-AMG
Banned

I wanna get the new Crawford plenum next month and the TS reflash but I can't come up with an extra $1k. So, I will start taking donations. It's for a good cause. My Z has....umm....multilink sclerosis.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 AM
GQ 350z

Where is the ECU located? I want to know if mine is r4 or r5 (sorry to go off topic).

Thanks for the nice review!

ravi
Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 AM
ZPirate

Originally posted by GQ 350z
Where is the ECU located? I want to know if mine is r4 or r5 (sorry to go off topic).

Thanks for the nice review!

ravi
Behind the lower passenger side dash. Go to www.technosquareinc.com/350ZECUremoval.htm for instructions on how to get to the ECU and remove it.

Last edited by ZPirate; 01-20-2005 at 09:43 AM.