Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:25 PM
vlm7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AAM Spacer

My apologies to AAM for the post below. I was frustrated that the bolts didn't seem to work. After taking another stab at it, wouldn't you know, they worked. Took the car out for a quick spin and am very pleased with the Spacer. Good Job AAM!

QUOTE]Originally posted by vlm7
Notwithstanding AAM's indication that there would be no fitment issues for 03 models, I had the same bolt issue as the above posters. I went to Home Depot and Lowes and an auto parts shop and could not find the M6x70 bolts. AAM - please send these bolts out to all of those that have already received (and picked-up) the spacer with the inapporiate bolts. [/QUOTE]
Old 03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
derek173

Default Re: Re: AAM Spacer

WTF is going on? do the bolts work or not?
Should I start calling around looking for them? I don't even have my spacer yet

Also when I do receive it does anyone suggest thread locker on the bolts?

Originally posted by vlm7
My apologies to AAM for the post below. I was frustrated that the bolts didn't seem to work. After taking another stab at it, wouldn't you know, they worked. Took the car out for a quick spin and am very pleased with the Spacer. Good Job AAM!

QUOTE]Originally posted by vlm7
Notwithstanding AAM's indication that there would be no fitment issues for 03 models, I had the same bolt issue as the above posters. I went to Home Depot and Lowes and an auto parts shop and could not find the M6x70 bolts. AAM - please send these bolts out to all of those that have already received (and picked-up) the spacer with the inapporiate bolts.
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-06-2005, 06:46 AM
roark

Default Re: Re: AAM Spacer

Originally posted by vlm7
[B]...I was frustrated that the bolts didn't seem to work. After taking another stab at it, wouldn't you know, they worked. Took the car out for a quick spin and am very pleased with the Spacer. Good Job AAM!
Be careful with just being able to get them to work. If you're only biting on a couple of threads, they may torque to spec, but they could pop out after a bit of use. Remember, the lower plenum threads are only aluminum. If they pop, you could get air leakage that could leave you stranded. I would make sure you have proper length bolts at all locations; get at least 5 full turns of each bolt after catching thread.

I'm not bashing AAM here guys. This is a first production run, so there are bound to be little issues like this. If they had no '03 cars to test, they simply could not have forseen an issue. The spacer itself is top notch!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 AM
roark

Originally posted by Nano
what are your other mods roark?

definitately will blow the 250whp mark with a reflash.

maybe the spacer needs to settle a little. Should have waited a couple of days for ECU to adapt before dynoeing. Good results nonetheless.
I suspect you're right; ECU learning on this car is pretty slow. I'm leaving the G-tech hooked up this week, so I can do some more testing and see if more gains come. I also have a temp/baro/humi module that I can use to record for SAE correction along the way. I'll post those findings too.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 AM
Nano

So, what's the official word on these bolts.

is it an error during install?
is it an errror during shipping?

what's up with the bolts???
Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
vlm7

Not official from AAM, but in my experience, the bolts work in the short term, but I agree with roark that longer bolts would be better in the long run.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:23 PM
dynamic6er

Hi Everyone,

We're sending longer bolts out on Monday. Looks like there are more variances in manufacturing then expected.
Would eveyone prefer 6 matching bolts or is a set of new bolts for the rear ok and then a transfer of bolts from the rear to front?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
alininger2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer six mathing bolts, could you post a list of what bolt sizes are needed and how many we need of each? I may install this before you send out new bolts.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:07 PM
islandsnow

yeah, i was just going to post a watch out reply, bolt 9 and the middle top 3 with the washer and i suspect a few more, are only held on by 2-3 threads, it's so easy to strip it since the screws are too short. The supplied screws for the front work, although they only add 2-3 threads that the stock screws don't have, but longer screws all around would be appreciated. Also, be careful with the damn strut tower nuts, after my suspension was installed, the installer sort of stripped/rounded my strut brace nuts, so i had to drill 2 heads off, the screw was easy to take off once the pressure was off, but the strut tower screws have a lame design where the head is only half the depth of a normal hex head screw. Other than that, the spacer is perfect, i felt a noticeable acceleration after 3000rpm, and seem to accellerate faster too. Since it's using the stock plenum cover, you don't hear the loud intake noise like some of the replacement plenums. I like it, it was a relatively easy install.

Last edited by islandsnow; 03-06-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:28 PM
xswl0931

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please send me 6 matching bolts. I already got the spacer, but will wait for the 6 matching bolts first. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:33 PM
bio911

I want one

Last edited by bio911; 03-06-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:41 PM
nuni

why did i only get 4 bolts in my whole package
Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Tex Willer

How is fittment with strutbrace? Can someone post a picture of the spacer installed?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Nano

Originally posted by dynamic6er
Hi Everyone,

We're sending longer bolts out on Monday. Looks like there are more variances in manufacturing then expected.
Would eveyone prefer 6 matching bolts or is a set of new bolts for the rear ok and then a transfer of bolts from the rear to front?
Personally, I can't care less if the bolts match or not.

As long as they are the proper lenght and everything is tight.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
jeffw

Hi Everyone,

What about the front bolts that roark had a problem with? I haven't tried the install yet, but it sounds like everyone would have the same problem with the front and middle bolts.

I'd like the option with the most bolts. Is there an option for the bolts plus AAM fuel kit?

--
Jeff
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 AM
roark

Originally posted by xxlbeerZ
I plan on purchasing one of these in the future, hopefully they have the bolt situation corrected by then.

Thanks for the dyno chart, looks like a good mod!

Looking at it in person do you actually feel it distributes the air better across the cylinders? I'm more interested in this for my FI application, preventing the 5&6 cylinder lean condition...
Only a flow-bench test would say for sure, but from everything we've been discussing about the OE plenum design, and the results of all the plenum options, I'd have to say yes, this will help out in an FI application.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
derek173

thread locker to secure the bolts?

yay or nay?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll take the six new bolts please. I haven't received my spacer yet so maybe it hasn't shipped yet.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:02 PM
nuni

how long till we get the new bolts. iam dying to install . or can u submitt the info on the new bolts that we can just go out a purchase
Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Road Warrior

Hi Everyone,

well after all that waiting and anticipation i finally got my package today....unfortunately i didn't get all my hardware.

the zip lock bag that the hardware was supposed to come in was ripped open....and now i am missing half of the hardware because most of it fell out of the box during shipment through the slots in the box that are not sealed up. packaging was of poor quality imo, and the bag looked as though it had been used before....as in not new

the hardware that was still remaining was scattered about in the box and did not contain all of the hardware listed on the contents page. needless to say i am very dissappointed and now i have to wait for new hardware to be shipped out

i was hoping to install this weekend, so i hope the hardware gets to me before friday or i may decide to get a refund....and after reading other stories of missing hardware and wrong size bolts i really feel like aa is rushing these out before they are ready. i would have rather waited another month and have everything perfect than go through this crap

the spacer and gasket are of excellent quality

please make sure i get the right hardware....if your going to correct the mistake i want the right size bolts for the job so i don't have to go buy them myself....if need be i will wait until you guys get the hardware situation under control before you send me the rest of my missing hardware.

pm me if you need more details regarding my situation....i won't be satisfied without the right hardware so do what you have to do to make this right.....for everyone's sake and not just mine

rw...out

Quick Reply: AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!