Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedZ33
I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. So you do not have to remove throttle body from the upper plenum. Just the remove the plastic air tube that connects to the throttle body and it will lift up freely.
that is correct....the throttle body is connected to the upper plenum so there is no need to do anything to the throttle body. disconnecting the plastic tube is not necessary either (per the instructions), but it makes it easier to move and lift the upper plenum when the tube is removed.....especially if you are doing this without anyone helping you.

if you have help it may not be necessary to remove the plastic tube....but since it only takes a few minutes its worth removing it anyways imo. this dramatically relieves the binding feeling you get when you try to lift the upper plenum with the plastic tube attached.

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-20-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:59 PM
mikedZ33

Awsome, thanks for the clearification. My spacer will be going on later this week.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
the7ferret

yea, release it at the airbox
Old 03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
the7ferret

AlSO...

Anyone experience a SES light?
I installed it yesterday drove about ~50 miles and today while I it was idling when I was cleaning out the back ~10min when I got back in the SES light was on.

The reason I left it idling was to try to get the ECU to learn the new air pattern because when the AC was off the would the engine fall into a really rough idle ~450 rpm's for about 20 seconds then recover. Now it wont fall into the low idle but the SES light is on. ??? Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:45 PM
sakred

i installed mine and have no problem and i have an 05 so the check engine light was probably cause of either a faulty install or something else.

Hammad
Old 03-20-2005, 02:52 PM
the7ferret

I checked for hissing due to maybe poor install but everything is tight, no odd sounds.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:26 PM
cmouton

Delayed light is, in my experience, indicative of a leak, probably in your upper intake manifold. My advice is to take a little extra time and disconnect everything from the plenum so that you can lift it completely out. Then you can be sure that the gaskets and spacer are properly aligned. I had the same experience a while back, although it was on a different car, and all I had to do was reseat the manifold to correct it.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Road Warrior

how bout the little tube/hose that is connected to that intake plastic tube (if you removed it)....its on the underside of that plastic intake tube so maybe you didn't see it and forgot to hook that back up.

i agree with cmouton....with everything disconnected (the plastick intake tube) its much easier to move, inspect, and adjust the upper plenum

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-20-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:16 PM
alininger2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is turning out to be a good mod. I have been running it for a week now and no problems yet.

Last edited by alininger2001; 03-20-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:06 PM
the7ferret

well I took apart everything!

it all looked good, put everything back together turned it back on same thing.

then I suddenly heard a lil pop, I put my hand on the top of the plenum to rest so i could get closer cause it sounded like it came from the back of the engine and I noticed that bolt #2 was sucking my hand into the plenum.
Looked at it and it was leaking went to retourqe it thinking it was loose but it was tight looks like the little o-ring washer isn't big enough or during the install I damaged it Anyone got info on the o-ring so i can get a bigger one.

Will the SES light go away once the condition is remedyed or do i have to get it reset?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:49 PM
the7ferret

problem solved!

Turns out i got 6 o-ring washers instead of 3 so I tried the front 3 60 mm bolts w/o orings and the sides worked great but the one in the middle got worse.

Then i noticed that the middle bolt wouldn't sit all the way down it left about 1/16-1/8 of an inch (this is after it was torqued to spec) So me scratching my head got an idea I put all 3 of the extra o-ring washers on the center bolt, torqued it down and works great and no SES light.

woo hoo. What do you guys think of my predicament, im somewhat concerned that the center bolt would not sit all the way down but the two on the sides were fine. (this is reffering to bolt #2)

Think it will be good or should I get a more permanment solution.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
were those the top six bolts in the middle of the plenum that were leaking?

i didn't really check for leaks but thats a good idea to make sure everything is sealed.

on the JIC...is there any adjustment....i had to adjust my stock strut bar to get the holes to line up after putting in the spacers.
Yes it was the top 6 bolts. There is adjustment, but theres no room for adjusting it b.c. the prob is lack of space under the hood...seems there is no room to even put spacers or adjust it higher.

And the7ferret..def a leak b.c. my idle was very rough when i had a leak and now its smoother than ever...GL
Old 03-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by the7ferret
problem solved!

Turns out i got 6 o-ring washers instead of 3 so I tried the front 3 60 mm bolts w/o orings and the sides worked great but the one in the middle got worse.

Then i noticed that the middle bolt wouldn't sit all the way down it left about 1/16-1/8 of an inch (this is after it was torqued to spec) So me scratching my head got an idea I put all 3 of the extra o-ring washers on the center bolt, torqued it down and works great and no SES light.

woo hoo. What do you guys think of my predicament, im somewhat concerned that the center bolt would not sit all the way down but the two on the sides were fine. (this is reffering to bolt #2)

Think it will be good or should I get a more permanment solution.
i found the same to be true regarding that #2 bolt and replaced it with a smaller size to make sure it seats down all the way. good job correcting the problem....i have yet to check for leaks but no lights.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Th3Cleaner

i found the same to be true regarding that #2 bolt and replaced it with a smaller size to make sure it seats down all the way. good job correcting the problem....i have yet to check for leaks but no lights.
This is a bit silly guys...
the instruction told you to replace the front 3 bolts with the original 60mm bolts from the rear of the plenum.. there were different sizes I know, so I put all the bolts next to each other and picked the correct ones. But your saying your 60mm bolts were too long? while mine worked as planed.. thats silly.

yes why did the instruction say to use 3 o-rings when it came with 6?
who wrote these instruction I have to wonder....lol

I used all 6 one on each bolt for the top of the plenum.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
roark

Originally Posted by Th3Cleaner
the instruction told you to replace the front 3 bolts with the original 60mm bolts from the rear of the plenum.. there were different sizes I know, so I put all the bolts next to each other and picked the correct ones. But your saying your 60mm bolts were too long? while mine worked as planed.. thats silly.
Yes, but remember, the OEM bolts have a 5mm shank at the bottom with no threads so really it's go 55mm of thread. The lower plenum holes are only tapped so far (and not much further than needed.) but are drilled deeper.

Manufacturing tolerances... gotta luvem'
Old 03-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Road Warrior

yes why did the instruction say to use 3 o-rings when it came with 6?

I used all 6 one on each bolt for the top of the plenum.
all i am saying is that the front middle bolt was too long on my plenum (i followed the instructions and i bought extra hardware just in case of a problem). the rubber washers was a no brainer...one for each of the six on the top of the plenum, duh

its not silly, its fact...maybe yours was different. i can read instructions and i know enough that when the bolt was torqued the head was not seated to the plenum. now, given that information....wouldn't you say that bolt was too long?

this was the only problem that i encountered during my install. since i was SMART enough to think ahead buying the extra hardware before the install, i had a bolt that was a little shorter and it worked out just fine. you can't tell me that some of the bolts that you reused (per the instructions) were a bit short??? now who's silly, i changed out the bolts i thought were too short with some that were a little longer and i feel better about having the proper sized bolts holding down my plenum.

but hey, its your car and you can do whatever you want.

silly me though, eh

nice sig btw...bragging about tickets really makes you appear to be sharp...as a marble

rw....out

Last edited by Road Warrior; 03-21-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Th3Cleaner

all i am saying is that the front middle bolt was too long on my plenum (i followed the instructions and i bought extra hardware just in case of a problem). the rubber washers was a no brainer...one for each of the six on the top of the plenum, duh

its not silly, its fact...maybe yours was different. i can read instructions and i know enough that when the bolt was torqued the head was not seated to the plenum. now, given that information....wouldn't you say that bolt was too long?

this was the only problem that i encountered during my install. since i was SMART enough to think ahead buying the extra hardware before the install, i had a bolt that was a little shorter and it worked out just fine. you can't tell me that some of the bolts that you reused (per the instructions) were a bit short??? now who's silly, i changed out the bolts i thought were too short with some that were a little longer and i feel better about having the proper sized bolts holding down my plenum.

but hey, its your car and you can do whatever you want.

silly me though, eh

nice sig btw...bragging about tickets really makes you appear to be sharp...as a marble

rw....out

#1. I am not mocking you, so back off

"yes why did the instruction say to use 3 o-rings when it came with 6?
"

Thats what I was refering to as SILLY

#2. how many tix do I have?

lets count ..........

OMG! ............. 1 in the last 7 years

no wonder my insurance is so low on both my vehicles.
anyway .. I did not intend to dis/offend you.

sorry if I did.
I am glad your install is better suited now.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Road Warrior

#1. I am not mocking you, so back off

"yes why did the instruction say to use 3 o-rings when it came with 6?
"

Thats what I was refering to as SILLY

#2. how many tix do I have?

lets count ..........

OMG! ............. 1 in the last 7 years

no wonder my insurance is so low on both my vehicles.
anyway .. I did not intend to dis/offend you.

sorry if I did.
I am glad your install is better suited now.
thats cool....no offense taken....i misunderstood what you were trying to say and i was defensive in my response. my statement regarding your tickets was uncalled for so i apoligize for that.....peace out
Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 AM
the7ferret

Well the OEM bolts didn't require the o-rings nor do the instructions state to put them there so I assumed that they didn't require them. Turns out the middle bolt needed some to keep from being too long.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 PM
mikedZ33

Well I finally installed my spacer today and the install went very smoothly until it was time to put the strut bar back on. I first tried 2 spacers under each of the 3 bolt holes and 2 spacers under the studs on both the passanger and drivers side. With only 2 spacers the strut bar was hitting the upper plenum. So then I put one extra spacer under the driver's side stud (for a total of 3 spacers) and it looked like the bar was gonna clear the plenum ok. When I went to shut the hood, sure enough it was hitting on the driver's side. After playing with the adjustment nuts on the strut bar I thought had gotten enough clearance for the hood to close. I was wrong. The bar was touching the hood and hitting the plenum. So I took the strut bar off and have given up for now. I'm going to keep messing with the fitment on my next day off.

For those of you that have gotten the bar to clear properly please help me out with the number of spacers you used and in which locations. I know each car is different due to tolerances and such, but I'd like to hear what it took for you guys to get your strut bars to clear. I'm afraid that I already had a low hood clearance to start with and I really don't want to have to buy the Crawfords strut bar.

Any help would be appricated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!