Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:00 AM
lunartick13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK my plentum install is complete... I used 40 mm long bolts for around the edge of the plentum and 60 mm / 70 mm for the center. torque all the bolts to 45 in oz and on the center bolts I applied HI Temp RTV, just to be safe (on the center bolts). I now have over 300 miles. no problems at all and I don`t forsee any. Great Bang for the buck!!!..
Old 05-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FS...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122578

All the parts have been posted here over and over for a great install. I actually LOVE to drive my Z now. Not sure why he's selling...? Thought I would help a brotha out

My dealer couldn't believe the difference with my CAI and the spacer, when we took it for a spin last Saturday!

Zquicksilver
Old 05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
zownz

will spacers void warranty
since your opening up the plenum and exposing some intervals?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Zquicksilver

I pm'd you zownz...

Three tech guys were all checking out my CAI at the dealership and none of them even noticed the spacer. And I have a AAM stickers on my strut and in the front of the motor. They even lifted up my engine cover to get the stupid Nismo oil cap off and still didn't notice the spacer until I pointed it out. They were kind of dumbfounded when I explained what it did... ;p

Tip: I put the engine cover back on and only used the back two bolts to secure it. I left the acorn nuts on the front just to level out the engine cover. It actually provides access to the oil cap if you have problems getting an aftermarket one off. Which in my case has been a problem since day one. Can't get my fingers in there around the Nismo cap, but I deal with it because it looks so cool

Zquicksilver
Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 PM
sisco534

I think I am going for it but the Motordyne has some members saying produces more HP than Crawfords cast plenum ??? AAM or Motordyne??
Old 05-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Zquicksilver

Keep the car looking stock while making the best gains = AAM "angled" spacer.

Go with 1/4" all around, it can't be as good as 1/2" in the front where cylinders 5 + 6 are gasping for air. Go with 1/2" all around, now you have to raise your hood, which IMO looks a little messed up...

For me it was a no brainer...
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM
sisco534

Angry AAM 1/2 or Motordyne 1/4

I think it is more because the fact there is dyno on the Motordyne from members that has more than Crawfords Plenum but also 2 hour cool off but the designs are different. AAM has 1/4 on back part then angled to 1/2 in front giving the front cylinders more air but maybe it helps raising the back of the Plenum up higher to get more volume of air inside. I dont know I have to decide because I have to have one or the other so it is 1/4 with MD or it is 1/2 with AAM . Some one HELP I am going crazy trying to decide which way to go,
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
Keep the car looking stock while making the best gains = AAM "angled" spacer.

Go with 1/4" all around, it can't be as good as 1/2" in the front where cylinders 5 + 6 are gasping for air. Go with 1/2" all around, now you have to raise your hood, which IMO looks a little messed up...

For me it was a no brainer...
For the record, you don't have to raise your hood...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by sisco534
I think it is more because the fact there is dyno on the Motordyne from members that has more than Crawfords Plenum but also 2 hour cool off but the designs are different. AAM has 1/4 on back part then angled to 1/2 in front giving the front cylinders more air but maybe it helps raising the back of the Plenum up higher to get more volume of air inside. I dont know I have to decide because I have to have one or the other so it is 1/4 with MD or it is 1/2 with AAM . Some one HELP I am going crazy trying to decide which way to go,
Throw some comma's in those run-on sentences and i'll answer your question.

Just kidding. It's up to you really, they gain about the same rwhp, it was easy for me to decide since AAM was cheaper (in the group buy at least, you may want to get Motordyne Engineering's since it will be cheaper now).
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Runn

Default Aam Spacer

I have the AAM Spacer for sale,if any one looking for one $175.00 never installed
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 AM
sisco534

You got a PM
Old 05-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
For the record, you don't have to raise your hood...

But...you have to negate the OEM strut bar.

Hydrazine's post
"The XL 1/2" spacer provides maximum gains for either the Z or the G. In the case of the Z, you would need an aftermarket strutbar such as the Crawford or Stillen strut bars, and the engine cover still fits. In the case of the G, you would have to take the plastic engine cover off."

I barely and I mean barely cleared my hood with the AAM spacer and strut bar installed while retaining the little rubber hood cushions

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-17-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 AM
sisco534

If it is that close then it will rub when the engine T/Q's
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know mine did. I followed AAM's instructions to put additional washers under the driver side(beyond the two) and adjust the tension further with the STB and still got vibration when the car was warmed up and even more when the A/C is on. The hood barely closed and the bolts for the STB are barely long enough to get any bite so I'm trying the 1/4" Motordyne right now to see if the power difference is noticable. Installed it last night and will put the cover and STB back on tonight after I give the bolts a second torquing after today's heat cycle.

I can see why Motordyne does not recommend their 1/2" for use with the stock STB after my experience with the AAM, as it too is 1/2" thick where the STB passes over the plenum and creates very tight clearances that might not work on every vehicle. So far, I also prefer the concept of plenum post spacers as well - no air leaks and reassuring to know that the center posts have support and are not floating on bolt height alone.

The AAM piece appears to have better machining as it is CNC'd from one solid piece rather than two joined pieces and the contact surface appears smoother, but the hardware, well-thought-out instructions, and fitment more than make up for it if I don't notice any power loss!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Zquicksilver

Ok, I exaggerated a little... My hood closed fine and there is about 1/8" - 1/4" of clearance between the strut bar and plenum surface when the proper amount of washers are installed. If you leave your hood open and rev the motor you can see the engine torque some, but not enough to cause problems if you installed it correctly, ie tweaked it properly. I just played it safe and bought an Engine torque dampener of Ebay for $50 when I bought the spacer and it helped, besides giving me extremly precise shifting. Sorry, but I didn't post that I bought all new longer STB bolts too (at ACE). Overall I probably spent about $20 on new bolts, washers, lock washers, and rubber/washers (which are doing just fine on the six bolt positions on the plenum). I've got about 2k on the spacer and no leaks, all the bolts are still tight (lock washers), and the POWER is still present

For those that are having problems or leaks I suggest not giving up, don't buy another spacer thinking everything will be solved... Check your gasket first and/or search and find the parts I posted for a perfect install. Also, the plenum is structurally sound when tightened properly. The only way you can crack it is to OVER torque the center 6 bolts. To be honest, those little center post spacers in the other kits scare me. Well, not me personally, but for others installing...I bet we eventually hear of a story of someone F'ing up and boom!

Zquicksilver
ps If you look at my link below you can see a pic of the install finished. When you buy the better parts at ACE you will figure out what you need for the STB. My suggestion... AAM needs to make people feel more warm and fuzzy by including EVERYTHING in their $250 dollar package. If they do so, IMO, they will kill the competition!!

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-18-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Nano

In have AAM spacer. 2 series of them washers on each side and I have good clearance from both the engine and hood. No leaks, kit came with corrected bolts, instructions were straight forward, everything worked...

I cannot believe the grief some people went through to install the AAM spacer, because you don't even have to remove the plenum, just lift it a couple of inches and slide the gasket and spacer in. I blame most of the problems on mechanical incompetenece and small variations from one 350z to another (and combination of both)... none of which can totally be blamed on AAM.

If you want to be sure 100% everything will fit, get the 1/4 inch spacer from motordyne.

AAM could also reduce the height a 1/16 of inch or so to accomodate everyone. That would solve the STB issue once and for all.

Last edited by Nano; 05-18-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

But...you have to negate the OEM strut bar.
Right...but not raise your hood.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Zquicksilver

Yes, you are right

No OEM STB = ability to close hood... and loss of control and into a ditch, car blows up!! mmmwhahhahhaaaa! j/k...

damn, i wish i had your WHP stat...freakin crazy!

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 05-18-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Yes, you are right

No OEM STB = ability to close hood... and loss of control and into a ditch, car blows up!! mmmwhahhahhaaaa! j/k...

damn, i wish i had your WHP stat...freakin crazy!

Yes...every action has an equal and opposite reaction...you remove a strut bar, next thing you know your car is burning up and you wonder why you didn't go with an AAM spacer.

Just a goal right now...hoping to fulfill it later this year.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
MySunset350Z

is there going to be another group buy? have the first orders shipped out yet?

Quick Reply: AAM SPEC Angled Plenum Spacer !Group Buy!