Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
lsdunique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tried SEVERAL version with a split plenum design like our first prototype, but this is also where we believe many of the problems to be. You have to split and redirect the air's flow to split it between both sides, then it pulls over the top of the lower plenum and changes direction again.

We finally changed to a single plenum design, and started working from that angle, and began to see better results.

Usually we dont do our own dyno pulls to try and be as neutral as possible regarding gains, but in NA form we are doing our own pulls. This is because we have been making many changes and we only have one final prototype manifold, so we could not send 2 manifolds out to 2 different people.

Some people take the jump first, while others will naturally wait and see reviews/numbers in both FI and NA. Our NA numbers are on a bone stock 2003 350z, and the numbers would only be better as you upgrade in NA form.

We should hopefully have before and after dyno graphs within about 10 days.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:19 PM
lsdunique

Krismax, that is very interesting regarding what you said about it possibly working with the Maxima engine with the use of a 350z lower injector housing.

The 350z basically has 3 parts,
*the lower manifold (houses the injectors and lower half of the runners)

*the lower plenum (houses the top half of the runners

*upper plenum - throttle body bolts to, basically what most refer to as the "plenum"
Old 04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
LOU

I call ********. No way an intake manifold is going to make that much of a difference. I have just about every bolt-on, including cams with a Vortech and the only mod that made that big of a difference was switching to a smaller pulley to run more boost.

But hey, please prove me wrong. I am begging someone else to duplicate those numbers once it is released.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
lsdunique

I understand your skepticism.

Also remember we are dealing with FI, where air flow modifications become even more important.

We have seen several of our customers see dyno'd gains between 25-30hp with our resonated test pipes with the greddy twin turbo kits. Thats a solid 25hp with a simple exhaust bolt on.

The factory engine/intake/exhaust components were not designed for FI.

I am sure many people will be waiting to see more results from more sources. We are not worried about this because the numbers you see in this post were done accurately and were truly done independantly. The pulls were done on the same day, I dont even think they took off the dyno.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
350G

That's a considerable increase in whp, but what really concerns me is that the bulk of the power kicks in around 6200 rpms. To really get the full effect of this thing, an ECU flash is necessary. I'm curious to see if it kicks in earlier for us TT guys . . . now that would be fun

G
Old 04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice solution. Subscribing.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 PM
krismax

Originally Posted by lsdunique
Krismax, that is very interesting regarding what you said about it possibly working with the Maxima engine with the use of a 350z lower injector housing.

The 350z basically has 3 parts,
*the lower manifold (houses the injectors and lower half of the runners)

*the lower plenum (houses the top half of the runners

*upper plenum - throttle body bolts to, basically what most refer to as the "plenum"
yes all you would have to do is change TB mounting point (maxima and 350z have same TB too)and it would work with a 350z lower on a maxima.
I will tell you one thing the 350z manifold is pretty decent stock however the 3.5 in the maxima doesnt have that manifold . your IM on the 3.5 maxima would be awsome ,im sure you would see wonderful gains NA and FI.
If this thing gains decent on a 350z NA and peaks in the high 6k to low 7k area i will buy one and be forced to mod it
Old 04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
krismax

Originally Posted by LouZer
I call ********. No way an intake manifold is going to make that much of a difference. I have just about every bolt-on, including cams with a Vortech and the only mod that made that big of a difference was switching to a smaller pulley to run more boost.

But hey, please prove me wrong. I am begging someone else to duplicate those numbers once it is released.
IM sorry but i do believe my vq 30 (ive since switched to 3.5 in my 96)with stock manifold i ran at best 14.6's at 96 mph then switched to a 00 maxima FACTORY IM ran 13.8's 13.9's at over 100 mph .only other change was to drag radials (made 60's go from 2.2's to 2.1)

Manifolds sculp a cars powerband
Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
froggy

on the subject, would it be possible to make a plenum that looks like an ls1? where it has the 6 runners, and then the inlet facing the front of the car then relocating the MAF to infront of that? just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Imagine that ! With a direct/straight air intake in the front which i believe provide a more efficient ram air effect at speed ! (without to go all the way around,in the back of the plenum)

Why not?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:42 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribing
Old 04-08-2005, 02:14 AM
abstrakt

wow, very impressive and looks promising...can't wait to see the NA results
Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very impressive.

i do not doubt the results from their test... sounds like a very basic before and after test. Was the car even unstrapped between the tests?

I have some questions about the manifold:

1: are your velocity stacks inside the plenum at different heights in order to make each runner equal length since some have a shorter distance to the plenum then the other 3?

2: are your velocity stacks the type where they are horn style or are they flush style?

3: what is the displacement of the plenum not including the throttle body inlet tube?

4: can you post pictures of the inside of the plenum during construction since we will never get to see in there after you weld on the throttle body tube?

5: what is the distance from velocity stack to the intake valve?

6: what is the inside diameter of the runner tube?

7: can you remove the passenger side ignition coils with the plenum installed to service the spark plugs?

Overall I love the concept and my only concern is even distribution from bank 1 to bank 2 since the factory collector is used... its original design was intended for the runners to face outward and this plenum has one bank take a u-turn to get to the other side. How is your transition from your plenum to the collector on the cylinders that take a turn back to the passenger side?

I think I might be interested in trying this thing out on my car.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 AM
zachcrosen

Of course you will call BS because you are running the Crawford plenum and you have basically bashed Kinetix in every one of their plenum threads on this forum.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:22 AM
zillinois

Does the manifold retain the stock hookups for brake booster, PCV, etc?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:10 AM
aalzuhair

Nice
Old 04-08-2005, 04:45 AM
booger

Lou....dont be so quick to call bull chit . The plenum design has worked for a long time on defferent cars . The stock plenum is a poor design in my opinion . Just to fit under the hood and to look good . Looking foward to getting one for my SCed G35 . OH by the way...I have a Crawford plenum on now
Old 04-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Aren't some of these questions "trade secrets"?

Originally Posted by phunk

1: are your velocity stacks inside the plenum at different heights in order to make each runner equal length since some have a shorter distance to the plenum then the other 3?

2: are your velocity stacks the type where they are horn style or are they flush style?

3: what is the displacement of the plenum not including the throttle body inlet tube?

4: can you post pictures of the inside of the plenum during construction since we will never get to see in there after you weld on the throttle body tube?

5: what is the distance from velocity stack to the intake valve?

6: what is the inside diameter of the runner tube?

Old 04-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally Posted by froggy
on the subject, would it be possible to make a plenum that looks like an ls1? where it has the 6 runners, and then the inlet facing the front of the car then relocating the MAF to infront of that? just wondering.

Imagine that ! With a direct/straight air intake in the front which i believe provide a more efficient ram air effect at speed ! (without to go all the way around,in the back of the plenum)

Why not?
I believe Top Secret has done something like this, but it won't clear the hood.. not enough clearance..
Old 04-08-2005, 06:44 AM
xephiron

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
Of course you will call BS because you are running the Crawford plenum and you have basically bashed Kinetix in every one of their plenum threads on this forum.
!!!!!!!

HAHA I love it! Nice call out. If I bought a frying pan for $450 ? I would be upset as well.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
SungNamZ

[QUOTE=krismax]ok i think some people may be confused the stock 350z manifolds upper is two parts ,THEN the lower houses the rail and injectors.
Correct me if im wrong put this new IM bolts to the top of the lower IM and not the 3.5 heads.

This is where I was before installing the Kinetix "NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD".

Quick Reply: ** NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD ** long awaited, with pics